Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If the price of petrol and road tax wasn't an issue..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

rocky wrote: »
    Yet another bmw thread :rolleyes::cool:

I drive an E60 530i.
    Tax and petrol are not an issue, I'd drive a 550i - lack of em on the market is more the issue, plus getting insured with only 3 years NCB

An E60 M5, if the tank wasn't so small

An F10 M5, when they get to acceptable price levels... apparently they can do 22 mpg around town (I'm averaging 18 atm) - petrol prices not an issue, tank size is...

What do you do for a living? :D Because you're either a pimp or a politician :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

4 door 67 chevy impala

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Sobanek wrote: »

I'm going to go with pimp since the 530i has 4 doors :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Sorry, it's only the price of petrol and tax - not the price of the car itself :D

Ha Ha good one:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

E55 AMG W211...

That or a V8 diesel Range Rover Sport.

Or both, I'll have both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Never go full retract :P

OP, I think you can add huge import tax to your list!

For me:

attachment.php?attachmentid=371314&stc=1&d=1271260781

Shure if you remap your one it'll have more usable power than the M3 :p
    img_858.jpg

Are you bored or drooling at all the BMWs? :pac:
    I drive a 1.6 petrol Passat, Honestly would not change i love it best car i ever had.

You should get out more... buy a BMW :D

cabledude wrote: »
    A fine machine. €1683 in tax is just a joke for a 10 year old car. Surely the state has made enough money off this vehicle after VAT VRT Road Tax in its 10 years of motoring to reduce the tax liability. What would be wrong with, say classing it as a 2.0L anc charging €800 odd for it.

Now folks there's my rant. Sorry for going slightly off topic but the tax system in Ireland is a joke.

1809 actually :(

both... I hire Enda out for big money :p

Nah, I don't drink or smoke... may as well enjoy myself :)

Plus the 530i TCO is less than a new golf probably...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,300 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Can't help but notice what an interesting journey to work it would be every day if out tax system wasn't so draconian.

Small country surrounded by water crap transport system, the goverment really is taking the piss with 60% fuel tax and an ancient taxation system, wouldn't mind but the whole "Administrative costs" arguement is moot as we now get automatic emails telling us when tax is up for renewal.

Some day we will all look back and laugh at what mugs we all were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Are you bored or drooling at all the BMWs? :pac:

You should get out more... buy a BMW :D

1.6 Passat...Jesus you'd be quicker walking, one of the most gutless cars I've ever driven, I got a pain in my ankle keeping the accelerator pressed to the floor. Happily I only had it as a loaner:mad: Horrid yoke.. Now the 1.8T...Thats a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Sounding dangerously like diesel talk!
    That MPowered Naturally Aspirated V8 will have more usable and "dynamic" power than a twin turbo I6 in reality as it doesnt need to build boost first to deliver power. Just press the pedal and it starts climbing all the way to redline.

Tongue firmly in cheek for that one (or out as per the smiley)

both... I hire Enda out for big money :p

Nah, I don't drink or smoke... may as well enjoy myself :)

Plus the 530i TCO is less than a new golf probably...

Still, 1.5k in tax and only 18 MPG :eek: I'd have to win the lotto to be able to afford that. (Or just finish college, get a job and still live with my parents :D - 1300 quid of disposable income per month :D)

In the other thread you were prepared to buy a new M135i and you balk at 1500 tax? your man maths does not compute...;)

In the other thread you were prepared to buy a new M135i and you balk at 1500 tax? your man maths does not compute...;)

The M135i does better than 18MPG and it's not 1.5k to tax :P
    They're actually quite reasonably priced (in Irish maths) - €50k for a brand new one!

And I also said: (Or just finish college, get a job and still live with my parents - 1300 quid of disposable income per month )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That or a V8 diesel Range Rover Sportupercharged.

Fixed your post to remove the double fail.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

DAZP93 wrote: »

Whats stopping ya ? two years till classic tax...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

The M135i does better than 18MPG and it's not 1.5k to tax :P
    They're actually quite reasonably priced (in Irish maths) - €50k for a brand new one!

And I also said: (Or just finish college, get a job and still live with my parents - 1300 quid of disposable income per month )
    A 530i doing 18mpg around town will be similar to a 135i around town, despite BMW's miracle claims! You might get 2 or 3 mpg more from the 135i. And why do you think that it's silly to spend €1500 a year on tax but it's perfectly fine to lash €50k on a car which is saving you about a grand a year on tax? You realise that in anyone's maths it'll take you 50 years of ownership to claw that back???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    A 530i doing 18mpg around town will be similar to a 135i around town, despite BMW's miracle claims! You might get 2 or 3 mpg more from the 135i. And why do you think that it's silly to spend €1500 a year on tax but it's perfectly fine to lash €50k on a car which is saving you about a grand a year on tax? You realise that in anyone's maths it'll take you 50 years of ownership to claw that back???

But Irish maths will be Irish maths, so many people changed their cars with a new one, spending 30-40k in the process, in order to save 500 € of tax per year..."Sure if I keep it only 80 years it'll break even!"

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »

It's not about the car - it's about the tax and fuel bills - I could even buy a 1995 750iL for a thousand quid, but the 1.8k tax and massive fuel bills would be unjustified.
    Besides, the M135i is capable of doing 25MPG in town (although with my heavy foot I'd probably get half of that) and 35MPG on average. It's not that bad on fuel.
    And if not a brand new M135i, I can get a used one.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    But Irish maths will be Irish maths, so many people changed their cars with a new one, spending 30-40k in the process, in order to save 500 € of tax per year..."Sure if I keep it only 80 years it'll break even!"

Oh, that is just pure stupidity - paying €30k to save €600 on tax, and I know a lot of people that did this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

It's not about the car - it's about the tax and fuel bills - I could even buy a 1995 750iL for a thousand quid, but the 1.8k tax and massive fuel bills would be unjustified.
    Besides, the M135i is capable of doing 25MPG in town (although with my heavy foot I'd probably get half of that) and 35MPG on average. It's not that bad on fuel.
    And if not a brand new M135i, I can get a used one.
    Oh, that is just pure stupidity - paying €30k to save €600 on tax, and I know a lot of people that did this.
    Why don't you see the contradiction?

No I don't - paying €1k to then pay €2k in tax is stupid. (Wait for rage from people that drive luxobarges :P)
    Paying €30k to then pay €300 in tax is stupid as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,300 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

No I don't - paying €1k to then pay €2k in tax is stupid. (Wait for rage from people that drive luxobarges :P)

Would you get said luxobarge for 1k in another country as easily though, i think not, tax is still ridiculous though

Nope. Apart from the UK, a standard E65 735i (example car) will be 30% more expensive everywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Not a rage as much as a point of view, as per my luxobarge, a few posts back, I agree that on paper, in the real world of economics etc. etc. it's crazy to drive one of these cars in Ireland. So, I'm a bit crazy then. But disposable income can be disposed of in whatever way a person chooses and I am fortunate, though not necessarily happy enough, to be able to pay for my pleasure, via my "luxobarge".
    If tax wasn't an issue, I would own several assorted luxobarges, as they are cheap to buy and with home maintenance they are relatively easy to keep. A BMW 735 or 750, a Merc or two, but as Clint Eastwood once said " A man's gotta know his limitations" The tax is there, I don't like it, but someone else once said, "Give me the ability to change the things I can, and to accept the things I cannot"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

A mustang a dodge challenger. Some sort of American car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Weekend cruiser Ford GT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Same car as now (Sub Forester), just the bigger engine.

Advertisement