Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

Lawrie T25 on -1. Had bogeys on 17 & 18 to finish, kicker...

Higgins T58 on +3. A nervous night of sleep awaits. God knows what's going through his mind, the thought about another trip to your school must be making him sick. Let's hope it's not necessary.

I've updated my table to reflect positions at the end of round 3.

Rank Player name Played Current Perth Revised Ranking
    109 BLAND Richard 25 €237,866 €5,448 €243,314 108
    108 LEVY Alexander 23 €240,540 €0 €240,540 109
    114 LAWRIE Peter 27 €217,107 €13,769 €230,876 110
    110 BHULLAR Gaganjeet 12 €228,355 €0 €228,355 111
    111 KINGSTON James 14 €225,150 €0 €225,150 112
    112 GREEN Richard 21 €218,463 €0 €218,463 113
    113 KOEPKA Brooks 12 €217,762 €0 €217,762 114
    115 HIGGINS David 21 €210,987 €4,197 €215,184 115
    116 TULLO Mark 24 €210,421 €3,239 €213,660 116
    119 KALEKA Alexandre 28 €196,980 €13,769 €210,749 117
    122 FISHER Oliver 27 €191,015 €18,702 €209,717 118
    130 ANDERSSON HED Fredrik 24 €164,107 €45,593 €209,700 119
    117 GAGLI Lorenzo 28 €209,227 €0 €209,227 120

Lawrie is still looking OK, but Higgins has a lot of work to do. Best case scenario is that 47th place could take him up to 113th and, if Bhullar is eliminated because of competing in less than 13 tournaments, this would move him up to 110th when Clark and Pettersen are also eliminated. If Bhullar is not eliminated, he would need to finish 27th or better.

However, even if he were to finish 47th (on his own) tomorrow there are 6 players in the top 20 after round 3 who could move ahead of him with a strong finish tomorrow. The players concerned, their current position and the position they need to achieve to do this are as follows:

Rank Name Score Ranking Finish Needed
    T5 FINCH, Richard -6 136 4
    T5 ANDERSSON HED, Fredrik -6 130 5/6
    T10 SJÖHOLM, Joel -5 150 2/3
    T13 HEDBLOM, Peter -4 179 2
    T13 HANSEN, Soren -4 137 3/4
    T17 FISHER, Oliver -3 122 10/11

It could be almost completely out of his hands if 2 or 3 of the above players were to achieve the above positions or better.

I really hope he makes it, but it looks as if he will need to shoot a really low round tomorrow and hope that no more than 1 (ideally none) of the above players catches fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Good job done by Lawrie, top 20 finish in fact looked top 10 at one stage. Unfortunately it didnt happen for Higgins which was disappointing especially when none of the other danger guys got the high finish they needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Good job done by Lawrie, top 20 finish in fact looked top 10 at one stage. Unfortunately it didnt happen for Higgins which was disappointing especially when none of the other danger guys got the high finish they needed.

Just take a look at his four rounds on the European tour site, holes 17 & 18 caused him havoc all week. +7 for those two holes after 4 rounds, rare enough you see that in the pro game by a decent player like Peter. If he didn't end with those two bogeys it would have been a a top 10.

Share a thought for Higgins, Im sure it'll be a long trip back from Australia with the Tour School on his mind.

Interesting interview after today's round by Peter Lawrie

http://www.europeantour.com/videoaudio/audio/index.html

Worth a listen to get a feel of pressures on pro players and how it effects them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭big_drive

The BMW in China starting tomorrow.

Mcilroy & McDowell out together at 11.20

What type of time difference us there? What's that our time?

• Advertisement

They're 8 hours ahead. so their tee time will be 3:20 a.m. in Ireland.

abff wrote: »
    They're 8 hours ahead. so their tee time will be 3:20 a.m. in Ireland.

Sorry, it's 7 hours, so tee time will be 4:20 Irish time.

big_drive wrote: »
    McIlroy & McDowell out together at 11.20

That'll be interesting.

Lowry & Harrington out 10 minutes after each other. As a self confessed member of the PH fan club I'm hoping he can pull something out of the bag and not one of his new dodgy gadgets.

Lowry & Harrington out 10 minutes after each other. As a self confessed member of the PH fan club I'm hoping he can pull something out of the bag and not one of his new dodgy gadgets.

I'm also hoping he can put together four decent rounds. A top 10 would be great.

I have to admit to having a small wager on him to win the tournament. I know it's probably a crazy bet, but odds of more than 200 to 1 were too hard to resist. Despite his recent run of poor results, it still seems unbelievable that he would be that much of an outsider in a limited field European Tour event (albeit a relatively strong field by European Tour standards).

Be nice to see the other Irish golfers do well too, but Padraig will always be the first person whose scores I look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭newport2

Not a bad first round by pod judging by some of the scores in, level par. Let's hope he can keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Is there a cut in this event?

ssbob wrote: »
    Is there a cut in this event?

Nope

Luke Guthrie leads, taking 19 putts in total for his round!!

newport2 wrote: »

Thats ridiculous! His score does seem abnormal to the rest of the field alright! Great shooting!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

newport2 wrote: »

A chip in for eagle is always handy for the putting stats :D

Cant see his full stats up yet but he did at least chip in on two consecutive holes on the back 9. Must have scrambled well for a few pars as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

"Luke Donald questions rule change after Joost Luiten quits after one shot" - Fairly silly situation in fairness. Sickener for the reserve especially after travelling there.

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/12040/8989894/luke-donald-slams-rule-changes-after-joost-luiten-quits-after-one-shot

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    "Luke Donald questions rule change after Joost Luiten quits after one shot" - Fairly silly situation in fairness. Sickener for the reserve especially after travelling there.

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/12040/8989894/luke-donald-slams-rule-changes-after-joost-luiten-quits-after-one-shot

I think if you look at it from the other side though, the European Tour are trying to guarantee as strong a field as possible so they can sell tournaments to the sponsors whereas if you allow passes for injuries then it is likely you will have golfers feigning injury!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Yeah good point ssbob. A damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. There must be a better way however.

Yeah good point ssbob. A damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. There must be a better way however.

Doctors Cert :D

Maybe the better way would be to go down the line of the Fedex playoffs having a cut off after each event therefore players would have to play, especially if you had the points heavily weighted on the play-offs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Maybe the better way would be to go down the line of the Fedex playoffs having a cut off after each event therefore players would have to play, especially if you had the points heavily weighted on the play-offs!!

or make it that they play at least 2 rounds in 2 of the 3 comps before the race to dubai

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

The most sensible option, but probably not taken, as they didn't want to be seen to "copy" anything the US did......?

Also madness to schedule the final series with a WGC event in the middle of it.

Russman wrote: »
    The most sensible option, but probably not taken, as they didn't want to be seen to "copy" anything the US did......?

Also madness to schedule the final series with a WGC event in the middle of it.

The reason for that was maybe to encourage a couple of americans to enter but also the fact that the WGC is in China will mean that the top players will be there already and with the big prize funds on offer they will surely need a warm up event or two:D

It's all about the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

slingerz wrote: »
    or make it that they play at least 2 rounds in 2 of the 3 comps before the race to dubai

In fairness to Joost Luiten, he's just had the best season of his career with two victories. He is therefore entitled to bonus money so long as he plays in Dubai. In order to play Dubai, he has to play two of the three earlier events. It's hard to blame him for doing this. Robert Allenby did something similar years ago in the Volvo Masters. He flew all the way from Australia to Spain and chipped the ball off the first tee with an iron as he had a broken leg. Otherwise, he would have missed out on his bonus money.

Given that the bonus money is based on someone's play over an entire season, I think they should receive this without playing Dubai so long as they have a genuine medical reason for not doing so.

Martin567 wrote: »
    In fairness to Joost Luiten, he's just had the best season of his career with two victories. He is therefore entitled to bonus money so long as he plays in Dubai. In order to play Dubai, he has to play two of the three earlier events. It's hard to blame him for doing this. Robert Allenby did something similar years ago in the Volvo Masters. He flew all the way from Australia to Spain and chipped the ball off the first tee with an iron as he had a broken leg. Otherwise, he would have missed out on his bonus money.

Given that the bonus money is based on someone's play over an entire season, I think they should receive this without playing Dubai so long as they have a genuine medical reason for not doing so.

As long as you finish in the Top 15 after Dubai no matter whether you played or not ensures you get a share of the bonus pool as far as I am aware.

I don't blame Joost at all here but also don't blame the tour they have a job to do. Perhaps the sponsors might have allowed one extra invite for this tournament as a special case!

They need to read the rules more carefully. The requirement to play in at least 2 of the 3 events applies only to those who qualify for all 3.

Donald and co who we rarely see at regular European tour events arent too concerned about the reserve list when they come back over for the big money events!

Chris alive I had to do a double take as I couldnt believe what I was seeing first thing this morning.

Padraig Harrington -5 and now T4

1 eagle, 3 birdies and no drop shots

Long way to go but a top 3 gets at least €250,000, big money event which would really help his rankings. Needless to say come on Paddy!

Back to back bogeys, need I say more

• Advertisement

Back to back bogeys, need I say more

Water at 13th :(, Lowry had a 7 on same hole. Still seems to be playing well, lets hope he can see out a decent round. Bogeyed same 2 holes again yesterday!

Advertisement