Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Remind me wrote:
    There was no one there on Thursday - Saturday either

Well, a few were but its a very minor sport played on a course in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

I'm sure the guys who were there collecting bucketloads of appearance money weren't too concerned about the lack of spectators!

Apologies for the cynicism, but I have to agree with Rory (and Tiger, and others) that our top sportsmen should not be doing anything that appears to condone or validate what is going on in that particular country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

abff wrote:
    Apologies for the cynicism, but I have to agree with Rory (and Tiger, and others) that our top sportsmen should not be doing anything that appears to condone or validate what is going on in that particular country.

I don't think they were condoning or validating anything and Tiger, Rory and others have accepted bucketloads of money to play in other places with questions to answer. Are golfers the only people who shouldn't go? What about oil men, doctors, teachers and civil engineers?

I've been in Saudi Arabia many times and there is little that I like about it. But I don't begrudge them their right to spend their money on polishing their image, nor do I begrudge professional sportsmen or professional anything else's from taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

abff wrote: »
    I'm sure the guys who were there collecting bucketloads of appearance money weren't too concerned about the lack of spectators!

But playing golf with Trump is A-ok? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

GreeBo wrote: »
    But playing golf with Trump is A-ok? :confused:

In my opinion, definitely not. I wish golfers had the backbone to deal with Trump in the same way as Megan Rapinoe did.

I know the backlash for turning down an invitation to play with Trump would be enormous, but it would really send a message. Can’t see it happening anytime soon with any golfer who wants to play in the States. Can you imagine the abuse that they would get from that ******’s (sorry, can’t come up with a word bad enough to describe him) supporters?

And even those who don’t support Trump would see it as disrespecting the office. Which is laughable in a way, as Trump has shown more disrespect to the office than anyone would have thought possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So back to the golf. Pebble beach Pro-Am this week. I think GMAC has a real shot if the jet lag doesn't get him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This is a golf forum where we discuss golf, not world politics. Feel free to start a separate thread but please get back to talking about you know, golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

James Sugrue playing in Oman this week. Be interesting to see how he gets on with his Masters appearance coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

tobsey wrote: »
    James Sugrue playing in Oman this week. Be interesting to see how he gets on with his Masters appearance coming up.

In the two South African amateur tournaments he played a few weeks ago, he finished 6th in both events. Saw him for the first time in the flesh at the 2019 Irish Open pro-am in Lahinch. Brilliant iron player but very iffy with the driver was my first thoughts of seeing the pride of Mallow.

He doesn't hit it a long way with the big stick, but has a very nice rhythm with his irons though. Putting can be an issue with Sugrue and under 10 feet, he gets quite tentative with his putts.

But as you said tobsey this event will be a good learning experience for the young Corkman. Best of luck to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Ridiculous carry on in the Qatar masters...Heading into 3rd play off hole, both players have birdied both holes... Edit, on to 4th playoff hole... Drysdale has hit his drive within 7 yards the last 5 times, crazy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

4th playoff hole now after pars on the 3rd time. They should change the hole, but probably cant as crowd is by the green.

Drysdale has hit it to the same spot each time with his drive.

^ Very boring playoff hole, much rather a risk/reward Par 5 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

India cancelled now.

8 weeks without an event for the vast majority of them.

Pro's and caddies must be worried about lack of cash coming in

The third tier PGA europro tour has suspended its tour schedule for 2020. This decision is a huge blow to some of our pro golfers who are now facing an uncertain future for 2020.

Many satellite tours outside the flagship European and Challenge tours are likely to fall on the same boat sadly, but these are unprecedented times indeed and in another announcement this evening, the Andalucia Masters has been postponed on the European tour due to the covid-19 outbreak.

With the Irish Open set for May 28th, one suspects an announcement will be confirmed in the coming weeks over the future of pro events all over the globe.

I wish all posters good health along with your families and loved ones in these most despairing of times. Golf and indeed sport comes secondary as we deal with this unprecedented global health emergency not seen in modern times.

1982 Irish Open champion John O'Leary has sadly passed away at the age of 70 after a long illness.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RIP John, never will forget him winning the Irish Open. It was a really big deal back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think he was the last Irish guy to win it before Paddy won in Adare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

European tour do it again with tourtales so great stories.

Bill foster great for the seve stories

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Irish open postponed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

JP ProAM Next

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

slave1 wrote: »
    JP ProAM Next

:mad: that could be seriously scuppered! (as in off - not postponed)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I see the Open hasn't been cancelled yet despite reports in the last few days. Surely there's very little chance of it going ahead and even if it does half the players won't bother with it a la the Olympics 2016

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well yesterday was April's fools

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

oldie but goodie

Richard Finch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

That was good. Reckon I know how he does the Ollie trick where he signed the card. Other stuff is very impressive. Sometime you see these magician fellas on the tele etc and say to yourself, that’s a set up. That shoe trick is one of them but we are dealing with golfers here so we know they rely on their integrity here so I don’t believe it’s the case here.

I met Keith Barry once and he did a few tricks with me. One of them just totally blew me away. He asked me to think of a person I knew, just concentrate on their first name. Then he gave my wife a wallet to hold. He then went through a few questions with me, no speaking just think of the answers and finally asked my wife to open the wallet. There was one piece of paper in it. He gave it to me and as he walked away told me to say hello to Rob. Guess what was written on that piece of paper.

It’s a trick, it’s not magic, but man it was impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

Any updates on the rescheduling of the 2020 Irish Open, which was due to be held in Mount Juliet this week?

Word is that the British Masters will be the first tournament back and there might be 4 tournaments in England/UK put on to get things back going and remove the restrictions that would come about with travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You'd have to think the European tour is in serious trouble. The corona virus and the cancellation of the Ryder cup could be the final death nail.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

You'd have to think the European tour is in serious trouble. The corona virus and the cancellation of the Ryder cup could be the final death nail.

I agree with the above post. The European tour just about survived the financial crisis post 2008. Whether they can do so again post covid 19 is another matter all together.

Unless the world tours come together and decide that an world tour under the same umbrella a bit like men's and women's tennis have the ATP and WTA respectively, will have to be strongly considered.

At stake here is the future of golf outside of PGA tour which is the only main pro golf tour that's commercially viable at this time. The other tours in the world have to unite as one and IMO the unification of all the rest of the likes of the Asian, Sunshine tour in South Africa, Japan, Australasian and Korean tours alongside the European tour, is absolutely paramount to safeguard the professional golf game in the world.

I think as well that the supposed elitist Premier golf league that only serves to increase the inequality of the haves and have nots will gain some momentum also which will be bad news for golf full stop. At stake here is if the situation 're covid 19 carries on, the fragmentation of golf tours throughout the world outside America is a real possibility.

Hopefully the relevant golf administrators can sort the many issues facing the many golf tours throughout the world as standing still will lead to the death of pro golf tours in many countries and continents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I agree with the above post. The European tour just about survived the financial crisis post 2008. Whether they can do so again post covid 19 is another matter all together.

Unless the world tours come together and decide that an world tour under the same umbrella a bit like men's and women's tennis have the ATP and WTA respectively, will have to be strongly considered.

At stake here is the future of golf outside of PGA tour which is the only main pro golf tour that's commercially viable at this time. The other tours in the world have to unite as one and IMO the unification of all the rest of the likes of the Asian, Sunshine tour in South Africa, Japan, Australasian and Korean tours alongside the European tour, is absolutely paramount to safeguard the professional golf game in the world.

I think as well that the supposed elitist Premier golf league that only serves to increase the inequality of the haves and have nots will gain some momentum also which will be bad news for golf full stop. At stake here is if the situation 're covid 19 carries on, the fragmentation of golf tours throughout the world outside America is a real possibility.

Hopefully the relevant golf administrators can sort the many issues facing the many golf tours throughout the world as standing still will lead to the death of pro golf tours in many countries and continents.

I mean there's hyporbole and scaremongering in life, but this is beyond extreme.

EDIT: Just to expand on this..FWIW I'm fairly sure the long-term goal here is for PGA to take over European Tour with a PGA Tour Europe type thing anyway. More likely it'll be an integration.

Advertisement