Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seems more like he is defending as he has nothing else to do that week, not that he is skipping the Irish Open specifically to defend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

The link below is the provisional entry list for the Irish Open, lets just say Lowry aside, this is a very poor field shorn of quality. I agree with what benny79 said wholeheartedly, that there should be no Irish Open this year at all and all focus and energy should be put on the 2021 Irish Open, where we hope will take place in a far more favorable environment then at present. No amateurs playing either which is most disappointing, so no James Sugrue or Caolan Rafferty it appears.

https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/dubai-duty-free-irish-open-2020/entry-list

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Agree, I've played Galgorm, I'd struggle to put it in the top 75 courses on the Island
    Should have been skipped rather than go there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Any chance I could get an entry for the irish open? Playing off 8 (used to be 7) :D

So by 7:30 am on this Thursday, the 2020 Irish Open will get underway in Galgorm castle. With the ongoing covid situation leading to a very poor field that is shorn on quality, Lowry the only star billing, added to a poor prize fund of just €1.25 million compared to over €6 million in Lahinch last year, no wonder there isn't much media hype about our national open this year.

Up to very recently I felt that the Irish Open shouldn't have been played this year, with all energy going towards to the 2021 championship to be held in Mount Juliet, which was meant to host the event in late May, before covid took hold. However I have slightly changed that perspective. Why you may ask? The addition of James Sugrue, Mark Power and Tom McKibbin to the field and three outstanding amateurs they are, is huge for all three men and I've always criticized that the GUI don't give enough opportunities to our elite amateurs in playing professional events.

I always feel that a Cinderella story could happen this year, given the poor quality of the field, that looks set to tee off in the Ballymena venue. In other words an relative unknown or a player trying to find inspiration from past glories can come out on top and claim Irish Open success. That to me gives me far more satisfaction than any elite player winning an event. For that alone, the four days of action will be of intriguing viewing. As always here's hoping for an Irish success come Sunday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Great opening round today from Sugrue -3

The experience of last week no doubt standing to him. Important now to fully make sure he makes cut , with that pressure off hopefully a good run at the weekend

Will be interesting to see how Mark Power and Tom McKibben do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

yea a great opening round and great to see him up near the top of the leaderboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

benji79 wrote: »
    Great opening round today from Sugrue -3

The experience of last week no doubt standing to him. Important now to fully make sure he makes cut , with that pressure off hopefully a good run at the weekend

Will be interesting to see how Mark Power and Tom McKibben do as well.

Only there cause of Westwood brought it up supposedly

Slightly surprised and a bit disappointed with seeing that Graeme McDowell, on the entry list for next week's Scottish Open. Which begs the question? Why is he playing in the Dominican Republic, albeit as defending champion, rather than playing in Galgorm castle? Surely your national open, trumps over playing anywhere on the PGA Tour this week, especially as you are travelling thousands of miles (well over 6,000 miles to be precise) to play in Scotland, starting next Thursday. That journey would have been far far more easier if he did play in Galgorm, but he feels differently though.

I was genuinely supportive of Graeme's intentions of playing in the Dominican Republic rather than in the North this week. But after seeing him put his name forward for to play in Scotland next week, I'm sure there are quite a lot of golf fans in Northern Ireland rather cheesed off, about him skipping his home open and playing in a poor event likewise in the Caribbean island this week.

Will be quite interested in what posters think about Graeme's rather "interesting" schedule, to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poor showing from the Irish so far.
    Sharvin, Moynihan and Dunne way off the pace. Harrington a little unlucky to miss the cut. Lowry should be making mince of this field given his ability. Course looks decent on TV, rough looks nasty.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

New Era wrote: »
    Slightly surprised and a bit disappointed with seeing that Graeme McDowell, on the entry list for next week's Scottish Open. Which begs the question? Why is he playing in the Dominican Republic, albeit as defending champion, rather than playing in Galgorm castle? Surely your national open, trumps over playing anywhere on the PGA Tour this week, especially as you are travelling thousands of miles (well over 6,000 miles to be precise) to play in Scotland, starting next Thursday. That journey would have been far far more easier if he did play in Galgorm, but he feels differently though.

I was genuinely supportive of Graeme's intentions of playing in the Dominican Republic rather than in the North this week. But after seeing him put his name forward for to play in Scotland next week, I'm sure there are quite a lot of golf fans in Northern Ireland rather cheesed off, about him skipping his home open and playing in a poor event likewise in the Caribbean island this week.

Will be quite interested in what posters think about Graeme's rather "interesting" schedule, to put it mildly.

None of us would have been there to see him play anyway, so it matters not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah I think when you are the defending champion there's an obligation to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

let's go Maverick Antcliff.

Course looking very nice, greens excellent. Great to see the sun out and no wind for the Irish open.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Trophy inscriber certainly hoping Jazz doesn't win. Double bogey wont help though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

No real discussion of Scottish Open.

I noticed Lucas Herbert following up a good IO performance this week as Zanotti.

Also, Harrington hanging around near the cut,.

I've been really impressed Westwood over the past couple of months, I think he could go well in Augusta, 5 Top 10s there since 2010.

New Era wrote: »

Not just McDowell, Westwood, Poulter, Willett, Fleetwood. No names bothered with the Irish open this year. What was the reasoning for that.

Not just McDowell, Westwood, Poulter, Willett, Fleetwood. No names bothered with the Irish open this year. What was the reasoning for that.

Well the prize money hasn't been as low for an Irish open since 96 I think. Compare that with the Scottish this week of 7 million.

Irish open in big trouble going forward now that it's no longer a Rolex tournament.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Why would they. US Open previous week, Irish Open then Scottish and PGA Championship the following 2 weeks which are 7,000,000 each.

Do you expect them to play for 1.25 mil? 1st prize this week will be nearly the fund last week.

Well the prize money hasn't been as low for an Irish open since 96 I think. Compare that with the Scottish this week of 7 million.

Irish open in big trouble going forward now that it's no longer a Rolex tournament.

I wasnt aware the money had dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

I wasnt aware the money had dropped.

That's just a one off though? Was still big prize money and a Rolex in the original schedule for Mount Juliet? Galgorm was just a last minute thing to fill the calendar.

When was it announced it's no longer a Rolex tournament? Thought was only this year with everything going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭paulos53

One of the problems is that the Irish Open currently is without a sponsor.
    With the airports and airlines in a slump it is unlikely that Dubai Duty Free are going to sponsor it again next year.

Mushy wrote: »
    When was it announced it's no longer a Rolex tournament? Thought was only this year with everything going on

Last week. From what I've heard only 4 Rolex events next year and the Irish open has been dropped. Think the off the ball lads had it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Holding it on a mediocre parkland venue on the way to nowhere didn't help either.

But I wouldn't read too much into it. Everything is weird this year. At least it was held - unlike the Open.

Last week. From what I've heard only 4 Rolex events next year and the Irish open has been dropped. Think the off the ball lads had it.

If they've reduced that's because of the ongoing situation and conservative planning. At least it wasnt intended, thatd be a far bigger blow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just another sad reflection that all this Covid crap we have to live with is not short term, it will be measured in years

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Loving this. Players soaked. Balls lost. Just like a typical day when I get out this time of the year.
    Mind you poults is ridiculous slow

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

First Up wrote: »
    Holding it on a mediocre parkland venue on the way to nowhere didn't help either.

But I wouldn't read too much into it. Everything is weird this year. At least it was held - unlike the Open.

Trying to get somewhere else at short notice in the north when most courses were only back open a few weeks couldn't have been easy.

In fairness to Galgorm it held up very well and got great praise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Remind me wrote:
    Trying to get somewhere else at short notice in the north when most courses were only back open a few weeks couldn't have been easy.

]In fairness to Galgorm it held up very well and got great praise.

Fair comment and they did well to have it anywhere. The reduced prize fund was a big factor too.

Advertisement