Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Harrington ended up back on - 2.

Lots of big names failed to see out their rounds as it happened.

Poulter got to -5 and finished +2/+1/+1

Westwood got to -5 and finished with a pair of bogeys

Mcilroy double bogeyed the last. (Looks like himself and Padraig will be out together in the final round)

Daly came home in 44 to go from -4 to +4 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

That Luke Guthrie is really taking the piss. Standing over his second to the par 5 13th he;

Took 25 practice swings
    Threw grass in the air 5 different times and
    Had 3 separate conversations with his caddy.

Thank fcuk for sky+

Some nice golf by PH also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

idle wrote: »
    That Luke Guthrie is really taking the piss. Standing over his second to the par 5 13th he;

Took 25 practice swings
    Threw grass in the air 5 different times and
    Had 3 separate conversations with his caddy.

Watched him yesterday at the same sh1t. Really felt bad for John Daly having to play with him being the polar opposite.

It's a shame to see more and more young players playing so slowly.

I wouldn't mind (well I would) but John Paramor was sitting there watching the whole thing for the entire round!

Also what was Simon Dyson thinking?
    Flattening a spike Mark with his ball.
    He must've thought no one would bother getting up that early in the morning to watch round 2.
    I must be cynical. It seemed to me he got caught blatantly cheating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What's the story with Dyson, I thought you could tap down pitch marks and flick grass/sand off your line?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    What's the story with Dyson, I thought you could tap down pitch marks and flick grass/sand off your line?

You can repair pitch marks but not spike marks. I haven't seen the clip of this yet (waiting for the highlights at 7) but I imagine that is what the issue is about.

Edit* - Here is the clip.... looked like he did indeed try to repair a spike mark. Bit of a silly mistake.... costly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

slave1 wrote: »

I haven't seen it but above the poster says it was a spike mark that he tapped down, you're not aloud to touch a spike mark.

He ran a long putt past the hole then marked his ball and in the process of lifting it tapped down a spike mark a few inches in front of his ball

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

He ran a long putt past the hole then marked his ball and in the process of lifting it tapped down a spike mark a few inches in front of his ball

Was he caught? whats the penalty?

Someone rang it in.

DQ'd for signing for wrong score because his card didn't include whatever penalty it is for touching the line of the putt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Someone rang it in.

DQ'd for signing for wrong score because his card didn't include whatever penalty it is for touching the line of the putt

Thanks.

Stupid thing to do!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Good to know!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Trampas

Did they not stop him from signing it or allow him back in like some other golfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

This Luke Guthrie dude, is an absolute disgrace - already lost over a full hole with the group in front after only 6 holes.
    Why dont the referees start throwing penalty strokes at him, were handy enough with the poor young chinese lad at the masters!!
    Disturbing to see another young player coming through,with this ridiculous pace of play, it really is a cancer on the game of golf and needs to be stamped out soon as its getting really bad.
    i would love to see a clock start from when a player reaches his ball, and if he doesnt play the shot within 1 minute - a penalty stroke is added, hit them in the pocket is the only way to do it!!! Rant over :(

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

On the European tour website just noticed that for the BMW Masters in China there was a total attendance of 45,000 for the week. In my opinion they should really rethink where they are placing these final events. I understand that its all to do with sponsorship.

Just imagine the numbers if it was in the UK or Spain. The only sell out on the tours long history was for the Irish open in 2012 in Portrush.

I understand that they are trying to grow the game and all the money is in China. But think about it, only 1 or 2 events in UK. Wentworth, Scottish open and the Open itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

Ben1977 wrote: »
    But think about it, only 1 or 2 events in UK. Wentworth, Scottish open and the Open itself?

There was actually only 1 event in England this year, 1 in Wales and 4 in Scotland. Just shows where the money is, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

too much money in the PGA...for the sake of the game the prize funds should be capped so that players are not just running after the cash.
    Almost better off being top 50 in PGA than top 10 in European Tour. The game will die off everywhere if it dies off in Europe imo.

Nice to see Damien McGrane sneak the last spot available (thanks Ernie :)) in the Turkish airlines open.
    3 Irishmen to follow in this no cut big money event.
    Lowry is safe for Dubai whilst Harrington will need a top 10 really (12th at least). McGrane needs a top 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Nice to see Damien McGrane sneak the last spot available (thanks Ernie :)) in the Turkish airlines open.
    3 Irishmen to follow in this no cut big money event.
    Lowry is safe for Dubai whilst Harrington will need a top 10 really (12th at least). McGrane needs a top 5!

Is it a little surprising that Gmac wouldn't enter this event seeing as he is trying to win the RTD, it's a great advantage to be in the lead going into the last event!

ssbob wrote: »
    Is it a little surprising that Gmac wouldn't enter this event seeing as he is trying to win the RTD, it's a great advantage to be in the lead going into the last event!

Yes himself and Rose will have played in 2 of the 3. Could have got 25% bonus pts if competing in all 3.

I guess Gmac didnt want to play 5 weeks on the bounce with the world cup the week after Dubai.

• Advertisement

Yes himself and Rose will have played in 2 of the 3. Could have got 25% bonus pts if competing in all 3.

I guess Gmac didnt want to play 5 weeks on the bounce with the world cup the week after Dubai.

Didn't realise that was the case, that will really shake up the rankings will it? Abff is normally good for the stat's around here!

Hopefully himself and Shane do the business in the World Cup aswell, be great for both of them. That has ranking points attached aswell doesn't it?

Didn't realise that was the case, that will really shake up the rankings will it? Abff is normally good for the stat's around here!

Hopefully himself and Shane do the business in the World Cup aswell, be great for both of them. That has ranking points attached aswell doesn't it?

Yes and it's a very limited field of 60 players. 8 players are stand alone so only 26 teams. Supposed to mirror the format of the Rio Olympics.

Field info here

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2013/tournamentid=2013092/news/newsid=208718.html

Primarily a individual tournament now really with ranking pts based on individual performance. $8,000,000 prize fund as well :cool:

Yes and it's a very limited field of 60 players. 8 players are stand alone so only 26 teams. Supposed to mirror the format of the Rio Olympics.

Field info here

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2013/tournamentid=2013092/news/newsid=208718.html

Primarily a individual tournament now really with ranking pts based on individual performance. $8,000,000 prize fund as well :cool:

Strange one isn't it? The likes of Colsearts and Vijay are just there for the indivdual tournament!!

Although for Shane Lowry and G Mac it is handy Ryder Cup points!

Tiger promoting the event in Turkey this weekend by hitting a ball from Europe into Asia.

They didn't stop traffic on the opposite side :eek: .....have they seen Tiger hitting the driver before!? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Thats crazy stuff, its tight enough in all.

The bonus is actually 20%, not 25%. There are 24 members who will have played in all three tournaments. Their current standings and their revised standings allowing for the 20% bonus on their winnings in the first two tournaments are as follows:

Ranking Name Race to Dubai Bonus Revised Total New Ranking

1 STENSON Henrik 2,203,260 16,860 2,220,120 1
    4 POULTER Ian 1,660,736 137,404 1,798,140 4
    6 STERNE Richard 1,398,888 16,866 1,415,754 6
    8 JAIDEE Thongchai 1,317,190 96,623 1,413,813 7
    9 BJÖRN Thomas 1,289,213 45,040 1,334,253 8
    11 UIHLEIN Peter 1,274,516 43,341 1,317,857 10
    12 RUMFORD Brett 1,220,424 20,356 1,240,780 13
    13 MOLINARI Francesco 1,203,843 99,890 1,303,733 11
    15 GRACE Branden 1,139,230 10,375 1,149,605 15
    16 DONALDSON Jamie 1,075,633 30,403 1,106,036 16
    17 HOWELL David 1,075,513 8,061 1,083,574 17
    18 GALLACHER Stephen 1,057,630 9,687 1,067,317 18
    20 WESTWOOD Lee 1,031,151 17,503 1,048,654 20
    22 JIMÉNEZ Miguel Angel 986,670 8,350 995,020 21
    24 BOURDY Grégory 921,226 26,855 948,081 25
    25 KAYMER Martin 916,749 39,372 956,121 24
    26 FLEETWOOD Tommy 905,483 19,607 925,090 26
    28 CASEY Paul 864,926 34,258 899,184 28
    29 WOOD Chris 850,626 9,569 860,195 29
    37 OOSTHUIZEN Louis 671,102 16,059 687,161 37
    50 FICHARDT Darren 586,027 17,213 603,240 48
    52 JACQUELIN Raphaël 571,385 10,270 581,655 51
    56 COETZEE George 536,406 8,752 545,158 55
    76 LIANG Wen-chong 357,160 16,916 374,076 75

The big winners so far from the bonus are Poulter, Jaidee and Molinari. Could have quite an impact on the final distribution of bonus money for the top 10.

GMac would have received a bonus of €72,801, which would have reduced the gap between him and Stenson from €162,725 to just under €90k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Is it not unfair that a bonus applies in the RTD rewarding players for playing in last week's event, given that the number of European tour players was restricted because it was a co-sanctioned event?

I mean I'm sure Lowry wanted to play last week and you'd think the 33rd ranked player on the RTD would not be excluded from one of the final tournaments. There were probably higher ranked players excluded also? Such an exclusive event shouldn't be part of the RTD's version of the Fed-ex Cup Play-offs.

Is it not unfair that a bonus applies in the RTD rewarding players for playing in last week's event, given that the number of European tour players was restricted because it was a co-sanctioned event?

I mean I'm sure Lowry wanted to play last week and you'd think the 33rd ranked player on the RTD would not be excluded from one of the final tournaments. There were probably higher ranked players excluded also? Such an exclusive event shouldn't be part of the RTD's version of the Fed-ex Cup Play-offs.

I totally agree. They probably shouldn't give a bonus in the first place, but if they feel they have to in order to encourage participation, then they should apply the bonus to anyone who plays in all of the tournaments that he is eligible to compete in. That would be fairer to those who don't qualify for the HSBC.

Tiger on the bridge shot... "Trust me, every ball drew" :D
    And the scary part was, yeah, just flew in from 12 hour journey, hop off a plane and have to hit driver down the narrowest fairway I've ever seen.

The wind was coming off the left a little bit and all these cars were driving on the right, so if I lose any balls to the right, there's an international incident right there!So that was a little nerve-wracking

Trust me, every ball drew.

But it was pretty cool. I think somebody was telling me I hit one 550 metres (601 yards) or something like that so not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

meh, he's used to car crashes anyway :-)

Advertisement