Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I attended the Race to Dubai finish in Dubai 2 years ago on the way to a work thing in the Far East. However much I felt about these events in the Middle East beforehand from watching on TV (had notions of glamour, sun-kissed courses, modern cosmopolitan UAE), I had a completely different perspective after being there. FixdePitchmark is absolutely right; having golf courses in the desert is an abomination, an environmental crime, and the UAE has a lot wrong about it under the surface.

Harro's slip yesterday about Garcia was revealing alright, but I'd want him in my team too, especially for an away match. They've made their peace, so there will be no issue there. You'd also want the likes of Casey and Westwood in the team. But plenty of time left for guys to play their way in, including Lowry hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

eagle eye wrote: »
    MacIntyre isn't normally a bad putter. I don't know what's going on with him and you can't blame the greens for missing putts from inside four feet.

Yeah, there was a good few poor putts all round. A lot came up short which pros don't normally do. Must have been hard to read them .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Pdoghue wrote: »
    I attended the Race to Dubai finish in Dubai 2 years ago on the way to a work thing in the Far East. However much I felt about these events in the Middle East beforehand from watching on TV (had notions of glamour, sun-kissed courses, modern cosmopolitan UAE), I had a completely different perspective after being there. FixdePitchmark is absolutely right; having golf courses in the desert is an abomination, an environmental crime, and the UAE has a lot wrong about it under the surface.

Harro's slip yesterday about Garcia was revealing alright, but I'd want him in my team too, especially for an away match. They've made their peace, so there will be no issue there. You'd also want the likes of Casey and Westwood in the team. But plenty of time left for guys to play their way in, including Lowry hopefully.

Thanks - I seem to be at odds with the world at present. :D. Nice to see someone agree with one thing. :p

But the whole concept of the Race to Dubai - basically stealing / saving our European tour has been very sickening for me. (even if I accept the reality we are in).

You have a situation where the likes of the Irish Open was at risk - other flagship events in genuine great golf countries taken off the roster - there was hope with the Rolex series for a while - but it seems to be all drifting back to the middle east again. Of course weather plays a part - but we are now starting our tour there and ending it. It is now saying - golf is for the wealthy - played in wealthy countries and for the elite. It was always like that to a degree - but after many years of trying to widen the game , open it up. The image of the European tour is all wrong. I'm not even offering a very extreme view. Someone could put forward a fairly reasonable argument , no tour event should be in any county without free press - or full equality.
    These are considered the norm and a basic right within the majority of Europe. The European Tour is holding events in countries , completely at odds with the fundamental concepts of Europe ( the majority of)

I'm not completely daft - and at the end of the day money talks. But for all the talk of golf being a game of honor and ethical and of some higher level of altruism - we need to all let that go. It is completely mercenary.

Hopefully when covid is over - we can rebuild the European Tour in Europe - there has to be a place for golfers below the top level to play top level golf in Europe. We have wonderful successful companies in Europe, that golf could align well with their corporate identify. But it probably is difficult for them to align themselves to golf - when our flagship European event is called the Race to Dubai - you couldn't actaully make it up.

Anyway rant over :D

Paddy unreal stuff - maybe the Ryder Cup thing came too young for him, he should be doing what he should be doing . Playing golf. He will be an unreal senior.

As for the other Irish lads - it is a serious kick in the arse , to see an auld fella leading the leading Irish flag.

The image of the European tour is all wrong.

Agreed. It's all mercenary. When you look at the monster that the Ryder Cup has become, all the hullabaloo with the captaincy and who'll be picked, the hyperbole of the European players during the event about doing it for European golf, blah blah, etc. you'd have to wonder. Most of the big money qualifying events on the European Tour are in the Middle East or Asia. The old motivating thing that Seve harped on about was that he felt European players were slighted when they played in the US - that's all gone now. These guys all live in the US, and barely play any tournaments in Europe itself.

Yeah @fix we should hold all European tour competitions in Europe, a continent where most of the larger countries have a shocking history of colonialism and exploitation of smaller nations. Where forests have been levelled, bogs drained and rivers poisoned all in the name of progress.

• Advertisement

Yeah @fix we should hold all European tour competitions in Europe, a continent where most of the larger countries have a shocking history of colonialism and exploitation of smaller nations. Where forests have been levelled, bogs drained and rivers poisoned all in the name of progress.

Yeah, imagine that, European Tour events in Europe, Asian Tour events in Asia, and USPGA events in the US!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Yeah, imagine that, European Tour events in Europe, Asian Tour events in Asia, and USPGA events in the US!

You did mention it in your post as well, but you can't really have a tournament in Europe in winter. They must play somewhere hotter. Fully agree I'd prefer to see them play in a more democratic country but the tour is a private company. Of course they go where the most money is. That's the way of professional sport, nothing new or surprising in it.

ClutchIt wrote: »
    You did mention it in your post as well, but you can't really have a tournament in Europe in winter. They must play somewhere hotter. Fully agree I'd prefer to see them play in a more democratic country but the tour is a private company. Of course they go where the most money is. That's the way of professional sport, nothing new or surprising in it.

Agree and disagree!

You say that you can't really have a tournament in Europe in winter. What about Spain (incl the Canaries and Balearics), Portugal, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus? There could be tournaments held in warm weather in the Canaries, mainland Spain, and others of the locations I mentioned above from January. In fact, if you look at the schedule, the first time the European Tour comes back to European territory is the 2 week swing in the Canaries in mid-April! I remember the old days when they'd be playing in the UK in April, think it was the Benson & Hedges at St. Melion, and then onto the PGA at Wentworth in May.

Of course, it seems the tour can't find enough sponsors to put up big cash for tournaments in Europe, or the tour finds sponsors to put on big money tournaments in Asia, etc., so you're right in that they go where the most money is.

https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/2021/02/03/strong-saudi-field-is-not-something-to-celebrate/

Whatever you think about all the issues around events held in certain countries. Any nation that murders a dissident / journalist should be completely boycotted by the journalists - never mind anything else.

https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/2021/02/03/strong-saudi-field-is-not-something-to-celebrate/

Whatever you think about all the issues around events held in certain countries. Any nation that murders a dissident / journalist should be completely boycotted by the journalists - never mind anything else.

This is nothing compared to what the Chinese are doing to the Uighurs https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55794071

The Volvo China Open is a men's golf tournament that has been held annually in China since 1995. The event is organised by the China Golf Association and has been co-sanctioned by the European Tour since 2003.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Saudi Prince must have handed out some bucks to get the Americans over.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saudi Prince must have handed out some bucks to get the Americans over.

Wonder how long till its a Rolex event

Mushy wrote: »
    Wonder how long till its a Rolex event

At a guess I wouldn't think Rolex want to be associated with it or it already would be a Rolex event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I see Paul Casey is playing this week, didn't he say last year that he wasn't going to play in it due to Saudi's human rights record? I wonder what could've possibly changed his mind?

At a guess I wouldn't think Rolex want to be associated with it or it already would be a Rolex event.

Yeah maybe so, but I doubt even the European Tour would try have a new event listed as Rolex event immediately. Do think it'll happen in time

El Sueño wrote: »
    I see Paul Casey is playing this week, didn't he say last year that he wasn't going to play in it due to Saudi's human rights record? I wonder what could've possibly changed his mind?

Morals go out the window when you're getting 1 million just for showing up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

What's a million dollars to someone like Casey though? Not too much I would have thought, It's a bad look to come out with statements about it one year then the following year it appears like his moral compass has been bought.

What's a million dollars to someone like Casey though? Not too much I would have thought, It's a bad look to come out with statements about it one year then the following year it appears like his moral compass has been bought.

In fairness a million would get most out of bed, all expenses paid etc. :D
    At least he did something last year - I'd love Rory to say something - because he tends to actually be a little controversial (and interesting he isn't there, because I'd say a big offer was made)

Thing that does my head in - is how they have such strong views on certain things - then when it comes to killing journalists , women's rights, human rights - they are all using words like - "things are changing" - " spread of the game".

I'd be fairly disappointed with the Irish lads over there too. You'd expect daft stuff from the like of Poulter (and his daft flashiness) etc. But the Irish lads offer fairly strong opinions on right and wrong on certain other things. Likes of Paddy in particular. Offers an opinion on anything. Golfers in general - seem a bit brainless to be honest. Harsh - lacking moral conviction is a better way to put it (a Dunphyisim).

At the end of the day - none of them should be in this position. It is from the top. The tour have gone a route that is unacceptable. And the game is not spreading with this rubbish, they have damaged the tour in Europe. This is very damaging for the image of the game - and the CEO has a very serious responsibility in that regard , particularly when the game is trying to improve image.

Yes they are following quick money - but at what long term impact for the tour (IN EUROPE).

I'd rather a European Tour that actually stands for something as opposed to this head in the desert stuff.

A GAA friend of mine - said "what would you expect from golf". "It has zero morals and they are all Trump supporters in US." "Their track record in human rights is terrible" "golf is just about segregation world wide" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The appearance money for the big names from he PGA tour must be eyewatering. The official prize fund for the Saudi tournament is only $3.5m. The prize fund for the PGA Phoenix tournament this week is $7.3m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I'd be fairly disappointed with the Irish lads over there too. You'd expect daft stuff from the like of Poulter (and his daft flashiness) etc. But the Irish lads offer fairly strong opinions on right and wrong on certain other things. Likes of Paddy in particular. Offers an opinion on anything. Golfers in general - seem a bit brainless to be honest. Harsh - lacking moral conviction is a better way to put it (a Dunphyisim).

It's a bit unfair to mention Paddy in this context when he is in Phoenix this week:confused:

• Advertisement

It's a bit unfair to mention Paddy in this context when he is in Phoenix this week:confused:

He was over there last week.

Id say he is in a difficult spot as Ryder Cup captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

He was over there last week.

Id say he is in a difficult spot as Ryder Cup captain.

In Saudi?

I wouldnt blame Lowry, it's hard to turn down the cash and there's Ryder cup points available which he badly needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭paulos53

I wouldnt blame Lowry, it's hard to turn down the cash and there's Ryder cup points available which he badly needs.

The PGA Tour event is higher ranked for World Ranking points than Saudi this week so plenty of Ryder cup points available at both events

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Do you honestly believe they are getting $1 million each to turn up?

In particular Casey...in that case some others must be getting 10

paulos53 wrote: »
    The PGA Tour event is higher ranked for World Ranking points than Saudi this week so plenty of Ryder cup points available at both events

Saudi counts for both qualification methods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭paulos53

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Saudi counts for both qualification methods

The European Tour points list is largely irrelevant as the guys that qualify off that list are always near the top of the World Ranking list anyway.

Also Lowry is currently doing better on the World Rankings list so that is probably his best path to making the team

paulos53 wrote: »
    The European Tour points list is largely irrelevant as the guys that qualify off that list are always near the top of the World Ranking list anyway.

Also Lowry is currently doing better on the World Rankings list so that is probably his best path to making the team

But it only started in January

So he is nowhere on both lists

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Anyone who watches any of the golf in Saudi, is immediately not allowed criticise a golfer for playing there.

• Advertisement

Saw Dustin Johnson clattered a guy with a drive earlier. Wasn't far off line, but assume they could see the person

Advertisement