Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    So define dominated? I would guess you mean less than 5 women in top 20 come Sunday and probably less than 25% make the cut

50/50 field so I guess 75% of one sex could be determined as dominant. I suppose the decider will be getting the gap between the tees right. Too big or small a gap would swing the balance.

Joint leaders on -8 Christine Wolf and Sam Horsfield.

Good scoring, 21 players -5 or better. 7 are women.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

I thought the cut was supposed to be top 65 plus ties, but they are showing four players at tied 68th as having made the cut. Either way, it’s around a 60/40 split M/F for those making the second round with a female golfer leading by one.

Should be an interesting last two days!

abff wrote: »
    I thought the cut was supposed to be top 65 plus ties, but they are showing four players at tied 68th as having made the cut. Either way, it’s around a 60/40 split M/F for those making the second round with a female golfer leading by one.

Should be an interesting last two days!

It's top 65 plus ties for professionals, 4 amateurs made the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It's very sad seeing the state of the European Tour. Keith Pelley has turned it into a complete joke with these ridiculous events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

kowloonkev wrote: »
    It's very sad seeing the state of the European Tour. Keith Pelley has turned it into a complete joke with these ridiculous events.

I like the idea of mixed events myself.

The Cyprus shootout or whatever it was called was pure Mickey Mouse stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cannot compete with the PGA tour, only room for one major tour, only a matter of time before its eaten up by the PGA tour/Saudi tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cannot compete with the PGA tour, only room for one major tour, only a matter of time before its eaten up by the PGA tour/Saudi tour.

Can’t agree with that. The time difference allows for a second Major tour.

It all relies on viewership and thus sponsorship/prize money and thus the big players will play.

World Ranking points all important too obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Covid has hit the euro tour so much more than the pga tour because of all the international travel. The rolex series had seemed to have been giving the euro tour a nice boost but the last 18 months have been really tough. They’ve tied in now with the pga tour so that will help them if they both fight off the potential new tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

N Ireland Jonathan Caldwell currently joint leader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Just made eagle on par 4 to go 2 clear. Would be great if he can hang on for the win.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    N Ireland Jonathan Caldwell currently joint leader

2 shots clear now, -8 for the round

Great 3 to finish and tied for the lead on -17.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Otaegui needs a par to force a playoff.

The rest are too far back.

Otaguei has a putt for the win, 20 feet or so

He misses and has 5 or 6 feet coming back to force a playoff

He misses the par putt too! Caldwell wins unless Hewson holes out on 18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

He's won it!

Great result.

Classy interview, he came across very well.

To be honest he's a player I don't know much about but delighted for him!

Did anyone see Scrivener having to back off his tee shot on 18 due to music blaring from the hospitality tent? Bizarre stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭big_drive

Love seeing people winning who plug away and stick with things when others would throw in the towel

Classy interview, he came across very well.

To be honest he's a player I don't know much about but delighted for him!

Did battle with him years ago in Fred Daly. Really sound fella and no arrogance, which was unusual for those lads who were playing interpro and international in my experience. Always looked out for his results after he turned pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Maybe you are right but the European Tour raised the white flag in the last five years by putting this Canadian with no track record in golf or Europe in charge.

Given the various cultures, different kinds of courses and landscapes available in Europe as well a lot of historic national opens it beggars belief that they have to put on stupid novelty tournaments in the middle of summer, and often there are two or three week breaks between events in the best part of the season.

I think a competent CEO would be able to preserve the heritage and traditions of the tour by negotiating with some of the huge companies on the continent and governments.

Agreed Covid has been a disaster for the tour but it was going down hill before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Maybe you are right but the European Tour raised the white flag in the last five years by putting this Canadian with no track record in golf or Europe in charge.

Given the various cultures, different kinds of courses and landscapes available in Europe as well a lot of historic national opens it beggars belief that they have to put on stupid novelty tournaments in the middle of summer, and often there are two or three week breaks between events in the best part of the season.

I think a competent CEO would be able to preserve the heritage and traditions of the tour by negotiating with some of the huge companies on the continent and governments.

Agreed Covid has been a disaster for the tour but it was going down hill before that.

Where from March till after the US Open on the current PGA schedule have you a hope of getting top players over? None.

3 US majors will take their priority and as soon as The Open is over it is back to PGA tour for WGC and play offs.

That is reality. Apart from Wentworth they've won't come to Europe. European tour can't complete against them

• Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This thing about having to compete with the PGA tour is ridiculous.
    We all know there is more quality in the PGA tour but that shouldn't affect the European tour.
    There are still plenty of great players to watch.
    I'll watch the European tour when it's on a good course.
    I watched a bit of the Swedish mixed at the weekend and thought it was ok. Yes the field was poor but I think if they do a few of them every year it'd be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

paulos53 wrote: »
    Fair play to Richard Bland. He has just won his first European tour event after 478 attempts at the age of 48

To be followed a month later by his first Major? That would be one hell of a story.

abff wrote: »
    To be followed a month later by his first Major? That would be one hell of a story.

Would be unbelievable, unfortunately I'd expect him to fall away eventually. Oldest leader at 36 holes of the US open and 31 for 31 for putts holed inside 10 feet.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Niall Kearney leading the BMW International Open by a shot thru 10 holes of his second round. Currently 10 under for the tournament.

Seems to having a really good year, didn't notice him much before this season but seems well capable of making lots birdies and going low.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Irish open coming soon so he could go well in that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Seems to having a really good year, didn't notice him much before this season but seems well capable of making lots birdies and going low.

Doped to his eyeballs :D:D:D

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Doped to his eyeballs :D:D:D

What's that supposed to mean?

Advertisement