Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

Looks like Keith Pelley continues with his weak leadership as DP World tour CEO re allowing the LIV golf rebels playing on the main tour. This week Richard Bland will tee it up in Northern Ireland. Next week in the Czech Masters, Ian Poulter, Sam Horsfield and Laurie Canter, who like Bland have played in all three events of the controversial Saudi backed tour, will also tee it up in the Czech Republic. Pelley must be told to go, shocking and shambolic leadership from the Canadian.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

European Tour literally needs those players to have some quality in their fields. I don't blame them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭paulos53

On what grounds could Pelley suspend the LIV tour players?

The European tour has no problem with their members spending most of the year on other tours (PGA Tour) and returning for a few big money events. From a legal standpoint I assume they are unable to change this approach just for the LIV tour.

The European tour can also have few moral objections. They were quite happy to be part of sportswashing when they held an event in Saudi Arabia for 3 consecutive years. It is a bit late to take offense to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

If Pelley had a set of balls he would use this opportunity to grow the unfortunately named DP Tour and invite all the LIV golfers to play for OWGR points.

I remember back in the 90's when I was young the European Tour was almost as prestigious as the PGA Tour and the big names teeing it up in a lot of big events.

It's now like a challenge tour- just look at the Irish Open a few weeks back and look at the list of previous winners of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭abff

With the change in the world rankings system that comes into effect this week, the points on offer for this week’s DP World Tour event are lower than the points that were on offer for last week’s Challenge Tour event. 😱

This is even with the inclusion of the LIV rebels.

The OWGR website is showing projected first place points to 5 decimal places. How’s that for spurious accuracy?

The projected points on offer for the PGA Tour, DP World Tour and Challenge Tour winners are 68.55296, 8.16824 and 3.96426 respectively. This compares to 24 points and 12 points respectively for last week’s winners on the latter two tours.

I’m not sure who runs the OWGR, but these changes sound the death knell for all but the PGA Tour. Crazy that the other tours have allowed this to happen.

• Advertisement

The challenge tour now has fewer points than the europro & alps tour events last week! What remains of the European tour is now a regional development tour, half of which takes place outside of Europe. The UK might as well go back to their own tour with a few co-sanctioned US PGA tour events...

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

Essentially the rich get richer, going to be harder for people who are currently in the top50 in the world to drop outside and conversely nearly impossible for the likes of a Richard Balnd (before his deflection to Liv) to break into the top 50 by playing outside the USA.

Who's idea was this? What good is it supposed to serve the game of golf?

The rankings already reflected ability well enough, I thought, as in, the top 10 players in the world were there based on their play over a fair time period.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's all setup for the DP to be another feeder tour to the PGA per discussions on the LIV thread. If a player want to rise they must first finish in the Top 10 of the DP "World" Tour and then get their PGA card and play in the PGA to gain rankings.

Simply no other way, even if you win a Major as a DP player you still will not have a PGA card

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd have no issue with the DP tour becoming a feeder tour if some events on the DP tour became regular pga tour events. Highly unlikely to happen though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭paulos53

There is every chance that the Korn Ferry Tour event will have twice as many ranking points on offer this week than the European Tour event.

It is one thing for the European Tour to become a feeder tour. It is in big trouble if it is not even the primary feeder tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sure didn’t tigerwood1 shoot a course record around St Andrews with a set he hired @ the local corner shop 🤣

You say he is re allowing the “rebels” back. When were they ever banned? I don’t think they were. Wasn’t it just a case that they were fined?

Just to complete the picture, this week’s Korn Ferry tour event is worth 14.78985 points to the winner - over 80% more than the DP World Tour event. Shows how far down the ladder the former European Tour has fallen. How did they let this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Amazing how quiet the PGA players are about the new ranking points. Same group couldn't go a day without a new negative comment on LIV. This new system is all about protection for the top tour, an absolute disgrace. More to pro golf than those at the top.

Further strengthens the monopoly that the pga and US golf have.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Probably a bit unfair. Covid had a serious impact on the tour. It never recovered.

i noticed the lorn ferry tour has a significantly less purse than the European tour for the next few weeks. Odd that, yet higher ranking points

Agreed. Covid genuinely played the largest part in killing the tour

• Advertisement

But weak leadership, in particular rolling over and allowing the latest change in the World Rankings system, has not helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

New match play event announced for the DP Tour - GB and Ire v continental Europe. Think it’s on in Dubai in January 2023

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

That nobody will turn up to

• Registered Users Posts: 38,161 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Always loved the BMW PGA championship but I don't think I can watch it this year with all these detestable people from the other tour playing.

I wouldn't enjoy watching golf hoping for people to have a terrible day and that's what I'd want for those players.

Glad that Jon Rahm and Billy Horschel had the balls to call the players out on it

Hate that some are being praised for ‘admitting doing it for the money’, when it’s now completely being passed over who the Tour is actually run by and that players don’t care about that

Find this quite a piece of hypocrisy myself, Billy only plays DP rich events and Rahm the same, played the Irish Open when a Rolex and soon abandoned thereafter and has only played one DP proper event this calendar year, the co-sanctioned Scottish Open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

There still playing in DP events though. Some of the players he mentioned haven't played in any! and are obviously only doing it for ranking points.. Sure they all only ever played in the big events.

Plus the fact the said they joined LIV to play less golf more time with family etc which is obviously Bull..

Both said they have no problem with Poulter & Westwood as they always supported the DP tour..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,161 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rahm played the Scottish Open last year when it wasn't co-sanctioned and played Andalucia and the Spanish Open too.

Horschel is a PGA tour player all his life but he did play the Scottish open last year too and the Alfred Dunhill links.

Advertisement