Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

Mcgee finishs beside Thornton. Huge day for him tomorrow, top 10 would get him into Irish open I assume!

I see McGee is now on the list of invitees for the Irish Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

abff wrote: »
    I see McGee is now on the list of invitees for the Irish Open.

Yeah the only Irish invite it seems. No Shaw or Power this year? Higgins didn't need an invite in the end.

Yeah the only Irish invite it seems. No Shaw or Power this year? Higgins didn't need an invite in the end.

Shaw has also got an invite. Would have been a bit unfair not to invite him after he finished tied 5th last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Shaw has also got an invite. Would have been a bit unfair not to invite him after he finished tied 5th last year.

That's great news, he wasn't on the list on Monday morning. Daly has pulled out after being invited. Hopefully McGeady will get his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was surprised to see on twitter a while back that Paul Casey had his name down to play in both the US (on the reserve list) and at the Irish Open this week.

Thought he may have been thinking about giving the Irish Open a miss but it must have been as a precaution incase his visa didn't come through.
    I hadn't noticed that he missed Wentworth tbh.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-2649732/Paul-Casey-defend-Irish-Open-title-overcoming-US-visa-problems.html

• Advertisement

The groupings for Thursday have been announced. The marquee groups are McIlroy/Gallagher/Harrington and Lowry/Casey/McDowell.

Watched a bit of the EuroPro tour last night on sky. Think it was from the weekend before last (US Open weekend).

Amateur champ from last year Garrick Porterous picked up the winners cheque. €10,000 for him.
    He gave up the playing in the US Open by turning pro. Interesting that he decided to turn pro before it, he wasn't going to miss out on much prizemoney by waiting.

Such a fine line at the top. We could have been watching (ok, maybe just a glimpse) him over in Pinehurst but instead he's playing an event where he's caddie-less and using a rented trolly from the pro shop to pull around his bag.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

PARlance wrote: »
    Watched a bit of the EuroPro tour last night on sky. Think it was from the weekend before last (US Open weekend).

Amateur champ from last year Garrick Porterous picked up the winners cheque. €10,000 for him.
    He gave up the playing in the US Open by turning pro. Interesting that he decided to turn pro before it, he wasn't going to miss out on much prizemoney by waiting.

Such a fine line at the top. We could have been watching (ok, maybe just a glimpse) him over in Pinehurst but instead he's playing an event where he's caddie-less and using a rented trolly from the pro shop to pull around his bag.

I watch a good bit of the euro pro tour as well, its some come-down from the main tour to it. Some excellent golf being played.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I watch a good bit of the euro pro tour as well, its some come-down from the main tour to it. Some excellent golf being played.

Ya I'm a fan, I enjoy the fact that it almost watches as an ametuer event.

Just caught the end of the last one. Spotted 3 Saltmans on the leaderboard, I know that Elliot has been knocking on the European Tour door for a while, he must have a couple of brothers coming up too.

He's a beast of a player, always enjoy watching him. Think he won when it was in Fota the year before last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭big_drive

The guys are Euro Pro are so good but still a million miles off the main tour it seems. Suppose just hanging in there in the hope of getting a big break.

Saw that guy Jack Senior a couple weeks ago on one of the tv shows, he played Walker Cup so would be a high standard. Yet he'd no caddy, to save costs i presume. And wasn't even using a trolley, Was carring a stand bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

big_drive wrote: »
    The guys are Euro Pro are so good but still a million miles off the main tour it seems. Suppose just hanging in there in the hope of getting a big break.

Saw that guy Jack Senior a couple weeks ago on one of the tv shows, he played Walker Cup so would be a high standard. Yet he'd no caddy, to save costs i presume. And wasn't even using a trolley, Was carring a stand bag

I wouldn't say they are a million miles off, Michael McGeady often plays in them and the Saltmans Elliot and Lloyd as mentioned above have had European Tour Priveleges at one point in time.

It would the equivalent of League 1 if the main Tour was The Premiership, not impossible to make the breakthrough but very difficult. And one good round in an Open Championship Qualifier followed by making the cut and possibly a top 10 might get you some rights. Sometimes it just falls into place.

Elliot Saltman shot 61 in Fota last year however it was placing that day so the course record didn't stand.

Elliot Saltman was going along nicely until a few years ago and his few incidents on the green where he was placing the ball closer to the hole than where it was marked - got an enforced holiday for a few months which set him back a lot.

I see the Euro Pro tour is visiting Concra Wood on the 23 -25 July and Mount Wolseley on the 30 July - 1st August.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Mikko Ilonen has carried his Irish Open winning form on to Germany where he is currently -4 after 15 holes and tied for 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Big John Daly over for his yearly spin in the BMW and ticking along at -2..loves this event it seems.

Big John Daly over for his yearly spin in the BMW and ticking along at -2..loves this event it seems.

Disgusted he didn't come to Fota last week........pulled out after getting an invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

ssbob wrote: »
    Disgusted he didn't come to Fota last week........pulled out after getting an invite.

You and me both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Been watching the golf for 10 minutes and I dont think I seen a single spectator yet must be a shocking crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Been watching the golf for 10 minutes and I dont think I seen a single spectator yet must be a shocking crowd.

I was watching kaymer earlier and he had a big gallery in fairness, easily comparable to a Harrington gallery in fota if not bigger.

Normally they get huge crowds in Germany, do they have a weather warning in place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Fair enough lads I just seen Stenson play a wonder 5 iron from a divot on a downhill lie to a few feet of the pint and make eagle on a par 5 and there didn't appear that anyone was watching. Maybe its just an awkward part of the course to get to.

Looks great weather.

Once again Miguel is featuring here! Hope he wins and puts himself in a Ryder Cup Place. No more than he deserves being able to compete at his age!

Such a cool man.

At the other side of the coin, Sergio/Kaymer need to get their skates on pretty quick if they are to make the cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

I'd love one of those i8 tees! I like an attacking course but this is just too much. -4 the projected cut, Shane at -5.

I'd love one of those i8 tees! I like an attacking course but this is just too much. -4 the projected cut, Shane at -5.

My leaderboard has Shane at -7

PARlance wrote: »
    My leaderboard has Shane at -7

Sorry about that. Brain freeze.

Play suspended due to lightning in the area.

Back on now. Looks like Hoey and Lowry may be the only Irish golfers to make the cut, although McGrane has a chance to join them if he can pick up a shot over the last 4 holes.

Back on now. Looks like Hoey and Lowry may be the only Irish golfers to make the cut, although McGrane has a chance to join them if he can pick up a shot over the last 4 holes.

David Higgins and 3 others disqualified mid round today.
    Presume it was something to do with the weather delay?
    All 4 players going to miss the cut. Wonder was the DQ deliberate.

The site is a bit behind itself (!) but it looks as if Damien McGrane has just birdied the 15th to move just inside the cut mark.

• Advertisement

McGrane birdied the 17th and bogeyed the 18th, but looks to be safe for the weekend. Hopefully, all three Irish golfers will push on over the weekend.

Advertisement