Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Apparently he's had real mental issues about his putting three months ago and decided to enter less tournaments this year. Not sure if this is 100% true but he was having some type of issue.

Still great to see him back, played 17 & 18 wonderfully.

He certainly comes across as a bit fragile and he's a lot less outgoing than most. Lovely player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

First Up wrote: »
    He certainly comes across as a bit fragile and he's a lot less outgoing than most. Lovely player.

He showed some steel in those last couple of holes. Very impressive. I wonder where he'll be in the World rankings tomorrow.

Victor back in to the top 50 now, where he belongs - 35th in the OWGR.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,361 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That up and down from victor from within the cabbage after taking a penalty drop to save par was total genius.

And a fantastic shout from Rob Lee before he did it

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

slave1 wrote: »
    What a missed putt on the last green for APHIBARNRAT and jazuz I thought Bubba was a cryer!

Miss cost him €154,800 and a ton or world ranking points, i think hes entitled to be a bit upset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Miss cost him €154,800 and a ton or world ranking points, i think hes entitled to be a bit upset.

Ha ha, just logged on to post what the miss was worth, I made it €149,754 but sure who cares whether €155k or €150k, still a ridiculous amount of money for a tap in that he took quickly to get out of Victor's way...
    He actually froze with shock, my reference to the crying was for Victor....

€150k for a missed putt and also probably a couple of places in the R2B payout so will end up costing him a lot more I'd say...

Kiradech%20Aphibarnrat.jpg?itok=D7osR8fG

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Then again he may have knocked in a 50-footer on Thursday he should never have got. These things all balance out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Then again he may have knocked in a 50-footer on Thursday he should never have got. These things all balance out in the end.

It never balances out, he missed from 15" , no amount of 50ftrs balances that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

It never balances out, he missed from 15" , no amount of 50ftrs balances that out.

Agree totally. The fact it should have been his last stroke of the week means there is nothing to balance out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I agree. The difference between winning and loosing a lot of the time is those long putts that you hole which you might not normally be expected to. They are a bonus and are the shots that bring your score down. Not one of those bonus drops should compensate for a missed putt of a distance that you should hole if you consider yourself a winner.

If you are of the mentality that says to yourself, it doesn't matter that I missed a 12 incher on the last because I sunk a moonraker on 17, well then you are not a winner.
    pistol_75 wrote: »
    Agree totally. The fact it should have been his last stroke of the week means there is nothing to balance out.

Same goes for a missed putt on lets say the 10th and gaining the shot back over the next couple of holes. If you miss a tap in, it's missed and can never be balanced out, even if you have holes left to play.

He has probably recorded a couple of holes in one in his career and a couple of missed tiddlers. They are both freak events. Maybe they don't balance out in a single tournament but they certainly do over a career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

He has probably recorded a couple of holes in one in his career and a couple of missed tiddlers. They are both freak events. Maybe they don't balance out in a single tournament but they certainly do over a career.

I doubt that's any consolation to him

Synode wrote: »
    I doubt that's any consolation to him

No because we take the good breaks for granted and concentrate on the negative

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The whole final series is a bit odd when Dubuisson isn't eligible for this week.

I know he didn't make the initial criteria but they could have left a spot open for the previous weeks winner considering they had to go well down the reserve list to make the numbers anyway.

Disagree. The good breaks are freak events and a bonus. Good pros will always have good and lucky breaks, it's the nature of the game and just rewards for good shots.

The can never balance out missing a tap in though. The only time you can forgive yourself for missing a tap in is if at the end of the week it hasn't cost you a position on the leaderboard.

If you want to be a good amateur, you should be of the same mentaity

I see McGrane is off to tour school to win try win his card just so he can play in the Irish Open next year smile.png I'm sure he'd play In the few UK events as well if he was successful.

I see McGrane is off to tour school to win try win his card just so he can play in the Irish Open next year smile.png I'm sure he'd play In the few UK events as well if he was successful.

I'm sure he'll probably get an invite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I think he only had to turn up to get his irish open invite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

If he mentioned the Irish Open as the reason he's attending Q School, I think that would pretty much copper-fasten an invitation to next year's event (assuming he wasn't already a shoo-in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Great news for Brian Casey and Paul Dunne making it to the final stage of Q School, not good for the rest of the Irish...

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2015/11/9/kwdaagemz5r671a59dicjufw37wjjz

Pity Hong Kong is the other side of the world and the golf is on during the night! I've only just realised that there are only two Irish in the field - Lowry and McGinley - reasonable first rounds for the two of them.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Pity Hong Kong is the other side of the world and the golf is on during the night! I've only just realised that there are only two Irish in the field - Lowry and McGinley - reasonable first rounds for the two of them.

It's Shanghai. Caught some this morning, Lowry hit a cracker into the 9th (His last) but missed the short birdie putt.

Hoping he pushes on over the weekend, would love him win the race to Dubai. Needs a top 2 finish to pass Mcilroy but then there's Willett who is playing this week. If Shane cant win it id like to see Willett win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

It's Shanghai. Caught some this morning, Lowry hit a cracker into the 9th (His last) but missed the short birdie putt.

Hoping he pushes on over the weekend, would love him win the race to Dubai. Needs a top 2 finish to pass Mcilroy but then there's Willett who is playing this week. If Shane cant win it id like to see Willett win it.

I recorded the golf and watched most of it this morning. Lowry missed a lot of short putts - should have been somewhere in the mid 60s based on his tee to green play. Seems to have been a problem for him last week as well.

Hope he gets it sorted as it must be very frustrating for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

So annoying watching the closing tournaments of the year on the European Tour being sold off to these far east locations. Watched highlights of last week's event and the "crowds" were fairly sparse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The European tour is a bit of joke, needs a complete overhaul imo

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

HighLine wrote: »
    So annoying watching the closing tournaments of the year on the European Tour being sold off to these far east locations. Watched highlights of last week's event and the "crowds" were fairly sparse.
    Tyson Fury wrote: »
    The European tour is a bit of joke, needs a complete overhaul imo

These tournaments and their purses are propping up the Tour for the rest of the year. The money is not in central europe to support tournaments like it is in the far east and middle east.

It won't be so bad next week with Dubai.
    I think it's unfair to call the European tour a joke, it will always be second to the PGA tour but it's way ahead of any other tours. It's a world tour now really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

pistol_75 wrote: »
    These tournaments and their purses are propping up the Tour for the rest of the year. The money is not in central europe to support tournaments like it is in the far east and middle east.

True but surely it should be up to them generate interest and promote the game in Europe. They can't keep chasing the money all of the time. How many "European" tour events are outside Europe? This week's tournament is sponsored by BMW, a European company same with last week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

HighLine wrote: »

The weather is a factor. Tournament golf in Northern Europe is not practical after mid October and even that is pushing it. Sure some of these places are not hotbeds of the game but it is growing and anyway, a large part of the market is TV orientated and the galleries are not the only factor. Playing in nice conditions for decent money is a better option than a long holiday, or trying to play in weather like we have today.

Advertisement