Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

First Up wrote: »
    The weather is a factor. Tournament golf in Northern Europe is not practical after mid October and even that is pushing it. Sure some of these places are not hotbeds of the game but it is growing and anyway, a large part of the market is TV orientated and the galleries are not the only factor. Playing in nice conditions for decent money is a better option than a long holiday, or trying to play in weather like we have today.

It's warmer in Madrid this weekend than it is in shanghai.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

HighLine wrote: »
    So annoying watching the closing tournaments of the year on the European Tour being sold off to these far east locations. Watched highlights of last week's event and the "crowds" were fairly sparse.

They are not being 'sold off' to anywhere, the sad fact is that the European Tour is woefully short of sponsorship and they have to have these so-called 'co-sanctioned' events in order to make it look like there is a full schedule when there clearly isn't. Take out the majors, the WGC events and all those tournaments in South Africa, the Gulf and Asia and the cupboard is pretty bare.

While the (US) PGA Tour usually has an event at the same time as the majors and WGC events, the European Tour folds the tent and has nothing, even though the vast majority of the regular players in Europe aren't eligible to play in those tournaments.

Just look at the 2015 schedule for the European Tour - the first tournament in mainland Europe didn't happen until the Open de Espana in the middle of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just watching it now on Sky - not the same at all.

Lowry seems to have had trouble with his putting - hope he can sort it.

Anyone know what Willett needs to do to overtake mcllroy?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Anyone know what Willett needs to do to overtake mcllroy?

I think I heard them say in top 28 or something like that. Not that far behind anyway.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    I think I heard them say in top 28 or something like that. Not that far behind anyway.

...whereas Shane would need to be second or better, I think. Going in the wrong direction though - a 6 on the par 3 6th didn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Again.... watching highlights of this morning's golf.... a pitiful amount spectators in China and probably watching on TV also.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Find it hard to get too excited about these end of season events in China.

Would be much more interested in the action over at the final qualifying school in Girona where entire careers are at stake.

Here are the Irish scores from Round 1 today:

T4 Ruaidhri McGee -6

T52 Simon Thornton -1
    Damien McGrane -1
    Paul Dunne -1

T68 Kevin Phelan Level Par

T138 Peter Lawrie +4
    Brian Casey +4

Although they did play at the tougher Stadium course today, it's looking bleak for Lawrie and Casey already.

Full list of scores here: http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/qualifying/season=2015/tournamentid=2015995/leaderboard/index.html#Guw9YDAUE48iQxCf.97

A better round of 68 for Shane Lowry today - hopefully it will make him feel better going in to this week.

So just the last event in Dubai remaining, and McIlroy leads Willett by just €1,613.

Sets it up nicely for next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

To be honest - I think the end of season of European Tour is a joke.

Silly end of season loop not in Europe. And the money is far too weighted to end of season. THen the top players just turn up - sure the Poulter thing highlighted it.

An additional problem is it is not even in same time zone.

So much for the Europeans. As in it is our tour ?

As for Dubai
    don't get me started.

To be honest - I think the end of season of European Tour is a joke.

Silly end of season loop not in Europe. And the money is far too weighted to end of season. THen the top players just turn up - sure the Poulter thing highlighted it.

An additional problem is it is not even in same time zone.

So much for the Europeans. As in it is our tour ?

As for Dubai
    don't get me started.
    You're right. At least Dubai is in a timezone that will enable us to watch live.

I see the tee times are up for this week - they seem to be drawn on the basis of pecking order in the R2D. Should make for good viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

vienne86 wrote: »
    I see the tee times are up for this week - they seem to be drawn on the basis of pecking order in the R2D. Should make for good viewing.

That is normal for this tournament alright. For the 2nd and subsequent day it is in leader board order. The caddies normally have a number on them as well indicating their players ranking leading into the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I see Peter Lawrie got disqualified. Anyone know what for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Seve OB wrote: »
    I see Peter Lawrie got disqualified. Anyone know what for?

He DQ'ed himself after the round for taking an incorrect drop. Took a drop from a staked tree but the stake wasn't attached to the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

McGrane, Dunne, Phelan and Thornton all still inside the cut line this morning a bit over half way through their rounds. McGee and Casey well gone I'm afraid

pistol_75 wrote: »
    He DQ'ed himself after the round for taking an incorrect drop. Took a drop from a staked tree but the stake wasn't attached to the tree.

Took about 86 strokes anyway in Round 3 so i'd say he wasn't too worried about the DQ!

At least his higher R2D ranking this year will get him a good few starts in 2016.

Terrific round by Paul Dunne today. 68 at the Stadium course when most of those around him were shooting mid 70s and higher.

Great stuff by McGrane as well with a 71. Both inside the all important top 25 as it stands.

Phelan & Thornton through to the last 2 rounds as well and not too far off the pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Dunne 3 inside and McGrane 1 inside with a round to go

Shane Lowry has bogied two of the first four holes - just turned on the TV and was wondering why we didn't seem to be seeing him. I wonder what's up with the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

Shane Lowry has bogied two of the first four holes - just turned on the TV and was wondering why we didn't seem to be seeing him. I wonder what's up with the guy.

I was just thinking that myself. He seems to have completely lost form since Turkey.

They were showing him earlier, was just poor on the greens!

Anyone think McIlroy can do it?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

ya, i think he will..seems to be playing well enough too.

Yes, I think Rory can do it all right. Shane just seems to be way out of sortss.

Seems to be a great battle between the two, Willett is playing well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

so is JR by the looks of his scores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Dunne still in there at Q school. Level par back 9 should see it done, if he can pick up 1 or 2 he will cruise it

Was that Rory using the wedge on the green?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

Was that Rory using the wedge on the green?

yes it was. would have been a tough 2 putt otherwise. made a nice par tho.

• Advertisement

The way Shane has gone in the last cuple of weeks, and the way he has gone today, would not make me hopeful about his season end. It's a pity, but it has been a great season. But it just shows that getting up the rankings is one thing, but managing to stay there is a different proposition altogether. Hopefully this is just a bit of a blip for him.

Advertisement