Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

Very high scoring round in general. Average score is more than 5 over. Kevin Phelan is on 6 over and is only 2 shots outside the cut line.

Has the weather been dreadful or is it just a very tough course?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

abff wrote: »
    Very high scoring round in general. Average score is more than 5 over. Kevin Phelan is on 6 over and is only 2 shots outside the cut line.

Has the weather been dreadful or is it just a very tough course?

It was wet and windy for the early starters anyway, makes Dunnes round even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I haven't seen much of Lowry today in South Africa, but he's having another poor day +1 after 15. I think the putting is going badly, but Sky have just shown him drain a monster on 15 for birdie.....might help his confidence.

Keegan Bradley had an interesting card to sign today in South Africa - level par 72, but only parred four holes. Started with a triple bogey on the first, followed up with a string of birdies to get back into the red, but went on with bogeys and birdies for most of the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Soren kjeldsen just took the 9 shots on a par 3....
    Don't think I've ever managed that myself!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

watched marcel siem put two in the water on 3rd in Fota. The caddies and other players kept well away from him for the next few holes

Some woeful scorin in South Africa. Lee Westwood also shot 81, which included a tripbe and a double. Leader is on -10 and 29th on +11!

Anyone know who is commentating with Ewan Murray in South Africa for Sky? Sounds like Ken Brown.

Edit: It is Ken Brown.

Is he going to be a permanent fixture on Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

vienne86 wrote: »
    Anyone know who is commentating with Ewan Murray in South Africa for Sky? Sounds like Ken Brown.

Edit: It is Ken Brown.

Is he going to be a permanent fixture on Sky?

Doubt he'll be permanent but it would be nice if he showed up now and then. He started with Sky originally didn't he?? I really like Ken on the course :)

Doubt he'll be permanent but it would be nice if he showed up now and then. He started with Sky originally didn't he?? I really like Ken on the course :)

I'm not too keen on his folksy description of holes he sometimes does, but I think he is great on commentary. Very insightful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Anyone watching the sa open? Stone has finished -14 and the whole place is celebrating, crying and all sorts including the commentators...funny thing is Daniel brooks is only 2 back with 3 to play,not unreasonable at all that he could come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Jo'Burg Open begins this morning

Kevin Phelan -3
    Ruadhri McGee -1

Paul Dunne off at 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Spieth became the first player to have a "monitoring penalty" imposed on him after it took him a ridiculous 1min29sec to make a putt. However there is no fine until a second penalty and then the fine is €2,600.

Now when you consider that he is rumoured to have been paid a 1-2 million pound appearance fee for this week's tournament, it quickly becomes apparent how fines are pointless and stroke penalties are the only way to go.

http://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/10138136/jordan-spieth-hit-with-monitoring-penalty-on-day-one-in-abu-dhabi

Spieth became the first player to have a "monitoring penalty" imposed on him after it took him a ridiculous 1min29sec to make a putt. However there is no fine until a second penalty and then the fine is €2,600.

Now when you consider that he is rumoured to have been paid a 1-2 million pound appearance fee for this week's tournament, it quickly becomes apparent how fines are pointless and stroke penalties are the only way to go.

http://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/10138136/jordan-spieth-hit-with-monitoring-penalty-on-day-one-in-abu-dhabi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

HighLine wrote: »

I think the money is pretty irrrelevant. The ignominy of being fined and your name published would be much more of a disincentive.

He seemed quite miffed about it, so it's likely to have an effect. The PGA tour need to get serious about it too.

I think the money is pretty irrrelevant. The ignominy of being fined and your name published would be much more of a disincentive.

He seemed quite miffed about it, so it's likely to have an effect. The PGA tour need to get serious about it too.

Completely disagree. Any apparent "ignominy" through public perception has had very little impact on either tours. Simply put, a stroke penalty will stop slow play... immediately.

Completely disagree. Any apparent "ignominy" through public perception has had very little impact on either tours. Simply put, a stroke penalty will stop slow play... immediately.
    But until now, there's been very little public perception. Plenty of rumours and sometimes a player gets put 'on the clock' but generally we know very little of who the serial offenders are, bar the odd Furyk or Na. And those guys just never seem to be pulled up on it.

A bit of naming and shaming would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Some finish from Rory this morning. Birdie eagle on 17 and 18 and nearly holed his shots for eagle and albatross on the holes.

In a very good position going into last 2 rounds

Not a big fan of the big European events in the far east but I must say the course looks amazing, and the weather, it's no wonder McIlroy much prefers playing over there!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I was watching Fowler today and he is slowing down a bit too much too.

Don't remember him being like that before.

Maybe was just today or the shots I seen him.

• Advertisement

Dechambeau not making great first impressions.... very poor form right now in not helping his playing partner look for his ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Dechambeau not making great first impressions.... very poor form right now in not helping his playing partner look for his ball.

Just came on to say exactly that. I posted on another thread the othet day about how I felt he came accross as a complete knob at the US Amateur last year and it turned me right off him.

He is one to watch, but he'll have to change his persona if he is going to build a fan base.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Just came on to say exactly that. I posted on another thread the othet day about how I felt he came accross as a complete knob at the US Amateur last year and it turned me right off him.

He is one to watch, but he'll have to change his persona if he is going to build a fan base.

I didn't really know much about him other than how his irons are all the same length but that right there created a really bad impression of himself.

Rory, JP, officials and fans all trying to help out Andy and his caddie locate his ball whilst Dechambeau casually stands by waiting on the fairway. You learn etiquette in amateur golf so no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What a cracking leaderboard. Plenty of excitement in store

Any reason why Dunne and Lowry aren't playing?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Tyson Fury wrote:
    Any reason why Dunne and Lowry aren't playing?

They chose not to.

Will there be a rules issue over the last two groups not playing out in proper sequence?

First Up wrote: »
    Will there be a rules issue over the last two groups not playing out in proper sequence?

Apparently not. Sky asked the question.

Apparently not. Sky asked the question.

Not sure that's the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

First Up wrote: »
    Not sure that's the end of it.

What exactly happened?

Advertisement