Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Two groups were on the tee as light was fading. The rule is that if you hit your tee shot you can finish the hole. As it was their last hole they wanted to get it done and not have to finish in the morning.

So after the 2nd last group hit, they let the group behind (Spieth's) also tee off and they did the same on the fairway.

However when they reached the green, they all played in the order of who was furthest away, so some players from the last group hit putts - and I think holed out- before the guys in the group in front of them.

Sky asked a passing official who played it down but that wasn't definitive and they reckoned it would be discussed by the rules folk this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Great response from Ricky after the double bogey.

Lovely held bunker shot for an eagle on 8.

Once again mcilroy Eagles the last again to be one behind fowler who has two holes left.

That should be the tournament for fowler though with that chip in.

Great statement for him to make with all the talk about speith, Rory and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Any reason why Dunne and Lowry aren't playing?

Dunnes category didn't get him in the field so he headed off to the state's. Lowry not playing a regular European tour event until May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Just a head's up lads, It's Wednesday to Saturday this week for The Qatar Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Darren Clarke was flying along, was -6, in the lead on his own this morning in Dubai, but managed to throw it all away on his last five holes with a bogey, double, par, bogey, bogey.

GMac and Rory had decent rounds of -3 and -4 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,361 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Rory having a mare... goes from being in contention at the end of yesterday's round to battling to make the cut today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

HighLine wrote: »
    Rory having a mare... goes from being in contention at the end of yesterday's round to battling to make the cut today.
    He managed to rescue his round with four birdies on the last six. Still on -4 but within a manageable distance of the leaders.

He's impressing me with his ability to grind it out when it's not going well.

• Advertisement

Very good leaderboard on the final day in Dubai.

Willett with a 2 shot lead thru 5 holes and he is just firing at every pin. Needs to do it as birdies are going in all over the place.
    Late charges by Rory, stenson and An as well so they might set the clubhouse target.

Closing round of 65 from Rory. Should see him finish in top 5.
    Was obviously looking for the win but promising start to season from first 2 events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Closing round of 65 from Rory. Should see him finish in top 5.
    Was obviously looking for the win but promising start to season from first 2 events.

How was his putting over the four days? His driving looks unreal. stating the obvious but If he wedges it well in Augusta and putts even ok he should be close.

yipsnomore wrote: »
    How was his putting over the four days? His driving looks unreal. stating the obvious but If he wedges it well in Augusta and putts even ok he should be close.

Poor over first 27 holes and then pretty good. Very good play on the weekend.

Cracking finish in store here. Come on Sullivan!

Willett with birdie on 18 to take the win. Massive win for him and really should kick on this year now. Massive talent.

Sullivan in second place. Another good tournament for him and expect both himself and Willet to be on Ryder cup team.

Willett is number 20 in the world at the moment. Presumably this win will move him up. He looks like a guy heading into the top 10 this year. He'll be a good guy for the Ryder Cup - plenty of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

vienne86 wrote: »
    Willett is number 20 in the world at the moment. Presumably this win will move him up. He looks like a guy heading into the top 10 this year. He'll be a good guy for the Ryder Cup - plenty of confidence.

Willet up to 13th in today's rankings. Looks an absolute certainty for the Ryder Cup at this stage (barring injury).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Poor over first 27 holes and then pretty good. Very good play on the weekend.

Cracking finish in store here. Come on Sullivan!
    It's a bit more coimplicated than that. Rory seemed to have a lot of trouble with the front nine; he said so himself and the results bear this out. He was level par for the front nine for the tournament and 15 under for the back nine. :eek:

Three bogies in total on the back nine maens he had 18 birdies. Nobody came close to that kind of performance on the back nine. It was extraordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

Been a while since anyone's posted on this thread.

I'm surprised that neither McIlroy or Harrington is playing in this week's 'flagship' event. I know Padraig has said on many occasions that the course doesn't suit him at this time of year (something to do with the grass, I think), but what's Rory's excuse/reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,361 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

abff wrote: »
    Been a while since anyone's posted on this thread.

I'm surprised that neither McIlroy or Harrington is playing in this week's 'flagship' event. I know Padraig has said on many occasions that the course doesn't suit him at this time of year (something to do with the grass, I think), but what's Rory's excuse/reason?

Rory is giving himself 1 weeks break between every tournament this year

So

irish open
    Break (week off)
    Memorial
    Break (week off)
    US open
    Break (week off)
    etc...

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    Rory is giving himself 1 weeks break between every tournament this year

So

irish open
    Break (week off)
    Memorial
    Break (week off)
    US open
    Break (week off)
    etc...

He has also played 3 weeks in a row as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think he cited last year's schedule as being too hectic a few weeks back. Iirc, he went something like 8 weeks out of 10 at this stage last year.

It's a big call but I think it's the right one. This week was a hectic week for him, home crowd, host, lots of media commitments etc. A well earned rest.

Danny Willet putting on a clinic this morning in Wentworth. 5 under for his day thru 8 holes.
    Could seperate himself from the field today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

joost just dropped 2 in a row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Is Harrington not playing the BMW?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Willet ripping up the coarse, class act!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Synode wrote: »
    Is Harrington not playing the BMW?

no

Willet ripping up the coarse, class act!

-6 today so far. He'll be hard to catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Willet with 3 succesive bogies on 15, 16, 17. Then a birdie on 18. Finishes on -10 (-4 for the day)

• Advertisement

I see Paul McGinley retired and is talking away on Sky now. Anyone know what happened to him? Hope he's OK.

Advertisement