Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Edna_Ennky

Very disappointing to see only 7 of the world's top 50 in the field for the Irish Open in Ballyliffin in 3 weeks time. The field is headed by host Rory McIlroy and defending champion Jon Rahm. The field list is in the link below.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2018/tournamentid=2018056/teetimes/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Edna_Ennky wrote: »
    Very disappointing to see only 7 of the world's top 50 in the field for the Irish Open in Ballyliffin in 3 weeks time. The field is headed by host Rory McIlroy and defending champion Jon Rahm. The field list is in the link below.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2018/tournamentid=2018056/teetimes/index.html

I suppose having it in the middle of nowhere doesn't help. Will be interesting to see what McGinley does with it next year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Everywhere is the middle of nowhere for them though.. as the would just fly in play and fly out I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

I guess a lot of top European players would choose France the previous week due to Ryder cup then possible Scottish open the week before the open.

A lot of big events on from this week to pga championship so top pros will be selective.

It’ll be interesting who Mc ginley gets to turn up next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Tyson Fury wrote: »

I suppose having it in the middle of nowhere doesn't help.

Ireland?

Don’t think there’s too much we can do about that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Edna_Ennky

On the Challenge Tour in the Scottish Hydro Challenge, Ireland's Gavin Moynihan is playing some great stuff. He is currently two off the lead at 3 under after 14 holes in the first round. Gavin who has yet to make the cut in any of his strokeplay tournaments he has played in 2018 could do with a confidence boosting performance this week. He has only netted 100,000 Euros so far this year and that in the unofficial Golfsixes where he played alongside Paul Dunne representing Ireland that week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Scottish Hydro Challenge. Former winner, some Brooks Koepka lad.

Disappointing not to see all the European ryder cup players/hopefuls turning up this week. Its an important week for the European tour. I thought that was the idea of the rolex series to get the top European players out, given its the ryder cup course Thomas Bjorn should have demanded they all play.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Kinhult is a future star.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Is Rahm the McEnroe of golf? His behaviour in the French Open is disgraceful - the worst I have ever seen. No officials are warning him. The commentators on Sky are saying very little about it.

• Advertisement

I'd say that's levy's chance of making the ryder cup gone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Really enjoying the course set up this week, never seen so many treble bogies before (bar unfair setups on us open courses).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

lostatsea wrote: »
    Is Rahm the McEnroe of golf? His behaviour in the French Open is disgraceful - the worst I have ever seen. No officials are warning him. The commentators on Sky are saying very little about it.
    He has a short fuse but I hope that gobshyte with the camera is fishing the remnants out of one of the lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Disappointing not to see all the European ryder cup players/hopefuls turning up this week. Its an important week for the European tour. I thought that was the idea of the rolex series to get the top European players out, given its the ryder cup course Thomas Bjorn should have demanded they all play.

It is fairly bad they weren't there.

But, I do think the Rolex series is still working - you have about 10 to 15 top tier golfers there that you wouldn't have a hope of getting if it wasn't Rolex.

You need Rory there at the end of the day - we are so lucky what he has done for Irish Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What was he doing? Language?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

What was he doing? Language?
    Usual stuff. Giving out, slamming clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Probably going to jinx it now but we could have the European tours first 59 in about a minute.

Brandon Stone has a 8 footer to do it. Has the tournament won too

Edit: and I did. Wasn’t a great effort really. Was a right edge putt and never looked in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

John Daly 7 under and 1 off the lead :eek:

https://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/1032666138981724160

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

HighLine wrote: »
    John Daly 7 under and 1 off the lead :eek:

In the 'Entry List', Daly is listed under Category 5a: 'Professional Tournament Invitations' but he would appear to be exempt under Category 1 'Winners of the Race To Dubai Rankings and 4 Major Championships' as he is a past winner of the US PGA (1991) and British Open (1995).

So why did he need an invitation? Is Category 1 only open to current European Tour players?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

coylemj wrote: »
    In the 'Entry List', Daly is listed under Category 5a: 'Professional Tournament Invitations' but he would appear to be exempt under Category 1 'Winners of the Race To Dubai Rankings and 4 Major Championships' as he is a past winner of the US PGA (1991) and British Open (1995).

So why did he need an invitation? Is Category 1 only open to current European Tour players?

Category 1 exemptions are only good for 7 years after winning the tournament. It used to be 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Zaph wrote: »
    Category 1 exemptions are only good for 7 years after winning the tournament. It used to be 10.

I Googled 'european tour exemption categories' and found the official list, it appears it is limited to European Tour players and the exemption for the majors is 10 years because Trevor Immelman is listed and his only major was the 2008 Masters plus Padraig Harrington is listed and his last major was the 2008 PGA.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/players/examptioncat/index.htmli

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newport2

I Googled 'european tour exemption categories' and found the official list, it appears it is limited to European Tour players and the exemption for the majors is 10 years because Trevor Immelman is listed and his only major was the 2008 Masters plus Padraig Harrington is listed and his last major was the 2008 PGA.

Both Harrington and Immelman have Honorary Life Membership of The European Tour as well

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=176045.html

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

newport2 wrote: »
    Both Harrington and Immelman have Honorary Life Membership of The European Tour as well

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=176045.html

The exemption duration for major winners was reduced from 10 years to 7 years in 2009. Any player holding a 10 year exemption from before then retained it, which is why Harrington and Immelman still have Category 1 status. It has nothing to do with their Honorary Life Memberships of the tour.

Great crowds out in Denmark, good to see. Westwood in pole position.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Great crowds out in Denmark, good to see. Westwood in pole position.

Just hope Bjorn doesn’t pick him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Matt Wallace birdied 5 of his last 6 holes to make the playoff with Westwood, Thomson and Brown. Don't remember the last time I watched a four man playoff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

If Wallace wins, he really is in with a shot of getting a Ryder cup pick. 2 wins already this season and a very consistent year otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If Wallace wins, he really is in with a shot of getting a Ryder cup pick. 2 wins already this season and a very consistent year otherwise.

I like the look of him, reckon if he wins he has a decent shot at a wildcard. Heard he's coached by Robert Rock too which I found interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 20,361 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

2 weeks ago he was told that if he wanted a shot at the ryder cup team to enter the Czech masters, He already had Denmark on his diary, so he added the czech. Made the cut there, but a win here would really put him in the reckoning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,361 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

great shot Wallace

Advertisement