Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Always a big fan of Westie, killed me the way he finished up in the RC a few years back so delighted for him today, so solid playing those last few holes.
    Lowry faded away dramatically over the last two days...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

3rd round of European Tour Q-School Final Stage has been completed in Lumine

Gavin Moynihan shot a one under par round of 71 on the easier Hills course for a 10 under par total. He currently is in a 11 way tie for 19th after 3 rounds. He will compete on the Lakes course tomorrow for round 4.

A better day for both Cormac Sharvin (66 - 5 under at Lakes course) and Robin Dawson (68 - 3 under in Lakes course) to be just one shot outside the projected cut mark. Both men are at 4 under. Robin was bogey free today but crucially failed to birdie any of the par fives today, which could be costly if he has any hopes of getting into Top 25 contention. While Ardglass' Cormac Sharvin picked up 7 birdies as he made an impressive move up the leaderboard. It's the Hills course for both men tomorrow.

So overall not a bad picture for the Irish, heading into round 4 of this grueling 108 hole marathon. The 72 hole cut will be made tomorrow. The top 25 players and ties after Thursday's final round will secure their European Tour cards for 2019. While those below that will have full Challenge Tour playing privileges for 2019. Those that miss the cut after 72 holes will have limited Challenge Tour playing rights for next season. So all to play for, heading into tomorrow's crucial fourth round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

So overall not a bad picture for the Irish, heading into round 4 of this grueling 108 hole marathon.

I looked at the stats for the last 10 years in Q School and only 7 Irish golfers have come through it, Hoey (2008), G. Murphy (2009), Higgins (2012), Phelan (2013), Dunner (2015), Moynihan (2017).

Its kind of remarkable how hard it is, even if you look at last years top 25, how many of them actually kept their card?

How many Irish touring professionals are there? Do we have 30? And only probably 6 (Rory, Padraig, GMac, Shane, Seamus, Dunner,) are on a proper tour?

How f$$king hard is it to be a successful pro golfer!

It appears that Rory McIlroy may not be a European Tour member for the 2019 season. Under a new rule that was confirmed in January, any European Tour member that forfeits his membership on the tour, cannot be considered for future Ryder Cup captain or vice-captain selection from 2018 onwards. Rory states that he will play more in the US PGA Tour next year. He will maintain his membership on the tour in Ryder Cup years though. A huge blow for European Tour chief-executive Keith Pelley who has tried to ensure that those players based in the US can fulfill their European Tour playing obligations.

You have to play 4 European Tour events, outside of the majors and WGC's to maintain your membership on the European Tour. From a personal point of view, I'm very disappointed that we will not see Rory play more on this side of the Atlantic in the next 12 months. On top of Paul Casey and Justin Rose not playing in the season-ending DP World Tour Championship this week in Dubai, the European Tour have a lot of more thinking to do, if they are to lure more of the best players, to play more events on the European Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah the European tour really is struggling when you look at the fields for the rolex series which are supposed to be flagship events they're very disappointing. The schedule has been changed again to suit the pga tour so I can see all the top European players basing themselves in the US. As McIlroy said the European tour doesn't properly begin until July and that's a big mistake.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Very hard to see how he couldn’t come up with a measly 4 events to fulfill this very meager requirement. He’ll very likely play Dubai, AbuDhabi and Irish Open so that just leaves one out of pga, dunhill links, Italian Open or any other tournament that might not clash with his US priorities.

Maybe he’s not intending to play the early EuropeanTour events, though didn’t see anything to indicate that. Feel sorry for EuropeanTour organizers here, already bending over backwards to accommodate players, not much more they can do I think.

Ah so I see he’s not playing in dubai or abu dhabi so that puts a new slant on it. Looks like Irish Open might be a goner for next year too, sad to see if that’s the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Ah so I see he’s not playing in dubai or abu dhabi so that puts a new slant on it. Looks like Irish Open might be a goner for next year too, sad to see if that’s the case.

Irish Open is on his schedule.

Papers trying to make it into a big deal when it really isn’t. It would be a story if it was a Ryder Cup year but you can be sure he will be there in Whistling Straits.

AGC wrote: »
    Irish Open is on his schedule.

Papers trying to make it into a big deal when it really isn’t. It would be a story if it was a Ryder Cup year but you can be sure he will be there in Whistling Straits.

Of course 2020 is going to be different. I just have a bit of sympathy for the tour, 4 events is not a lot and should be the minimum every year for Ryder cup eligibility. That’s just my take on it anyway.

Of course 2020 is going to be different. I just have a bit of sympathy for the tour, 4 events is not a lot and should be the minimum every year for Ryder cup eligibility. That’s just my take on it anyway.

I’d agree, I would rather see top Europeans play in Europe but would also rather see European events in Europe.

Rolex series won’t interest elite players just because of money, the strength of the field is what they are after, Rory won’t be the only one giving a wide berth to Europe.

• Advertisement

I’d agree, I would rather see top Europeans play in Europe but would also rather see European events in Europe.

Rolex series won’t interest elite players just because of money, the strength of the field is what they are after, Rory won’t be the only one giving a wide berth to Europe.

Yeah that’s true but not sure what else they can offer. Essentially they’re between a rock and a hard place. The only real bargaining chip the tour has is RC eligibility and even that is compromised due to the risk of more Paul Casey type situations if they play their hand too aggressively. 4 events is not a lot to ask I feel, a very acceptable balance for players but if there is no incentive to even meet that number then I guess there’s not much reason for them to bother.

4 down, 2 to go

The good news is all three Irish players Gavin Moynihan, Cormac Sharvin and Robin Dawson have all made the 72 hole cut. In Robin Dawson's case, this means he will have, at worst a full Challenge Tour card for 2019 regardless of how he gets on in the final 2 rounds. Dawson ends the day at 6 under, right on the cut mark after a 2 under 70, on the hills course in Lumine. Also in the hills course was Cormac Sharvin, who was 5 under through 9 holes for his round and looked like a 63 or 64 was on the cards. Unfortunately he came home 1 over, for his final 9 holes to finish the day at 8 under (4 under 68), 4 shots outside the top 25 mark, that secure their European Tour cards for 2019.

For Gavin Moynihan who played at the Lakes course today, it was a 1 under par round of 71 for the Dubliner, 11 under for the event. That leaves him just a shot outside the 12 under mark that currently is the magic number at the moment. Still a good performance from Gavin when you consider that he was very close to withdrawing from the event due to a back injury that he tweaked during pre-tournament practice.

So its the Lumine lakes course for all three men and for the rest of the field, who have made the cut for tomorrow and Thursday's fifth and sixth rounds respectively. Still plenty of golf left to decide who will secure their European Tour playing privileges for next season. Should be a nerve-whacking final 36 holes indeed. Best of luck Gavin, Cormac and Robin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

4 down, 2 to go

Thanks for all the updates over the last few days - very informative!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭paulos53

Matteo Manassero was the biggest name to miss the cut today. Quite a fall from winning multiple tournaments as a teenager.

paulos53 wrote: »
    Matteo Manassero was the biggest name to miss the cut today. Quite a fall from winning multiple tournaments as a teenager.

Memory could be playing tricks but I think he was paired first two rounds with Tom Watson the year the latter nearly won the open and the big narrative was golfs past and future in such proximity. Have a feeling Sergio was the other guy and that comparison was richly mined too. Tough game when the momentum starts to go against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,361 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

paulos53 wrote: »

His parents wanted him to go back and finish school. It has proven to be quite a negative on his golf career. He lost all of that momentum

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rikand wrote: »
    His parents wanted him to go back and finish school. It has proven to be quite a negative on his golf career. He lost all of that momentum

I think also he reconstructed his swing in order to gain more distance. Hasn't worked out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

With all the fist pumping and badge kissing during the Ryder Cup this shows what the top pros really think of the European tour. Playing in Europe comes a distant second to the big bucks in the US. The rules should be changed for Ryder Cup qualification. If you are not a member of the European tour for the two intervening years you should not be eligible. 4 events is really not too much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

shamco wrote: »

With all the fist pumping and badge kissing during the Ryder Cup this shows what the top pros really think of the European tour. Playing in Europe comes a distant second to the big bucks in the US. The rules should be changed for Ryder Cup qualification. If you are not a member of the European tour for the two intervening years you should not be eligible. 4 events is really not too much to ask.

So should only those playing in the League of Ireland be eligible for international selection?

2 good rounds of 66 for Moynihan and Sharvin today has Moynihan a couple of shots inside and Sharvin just 1 shot outside the top 25.

Hopefully the same again tomorrow.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    So should only those playing in the League of Ireland be eligible for international selection?

Completely different. It is not possible to earn a good living in the league of Ireland. Most players are out of contract at the end of the season and have to find alternative work during the off season. Nobody is asking too much of the golfers. 4 events for God sake. They should remember who paid for their coaching when they were younger and support their home tour.

They should remember who paid for their coaching when they were younger and support their home tour.

:confused::confused:

National golf unions are far removed from the European Tour and peoples annual fees would be going towards paying for coaching for elite underage players, not the European Tour.

How many Europeans are now going through the American College system?

It is far from a home tour, Dubai, China, Australia, South Africa etc....

:confused::confused:

National golf unions are far removed from the European Tour and peoples annual fees would be going towards paying for coaching for elite underage players, not the European Tour.

How many Europeans are now going through the American College system?

It is far from a home tour, Dubai, China, Australia, South Africa etc....

You're right I meant their home unions

Gavin Moynihan - 16 under after a 5 under 66 to Tied 15th along with 8 others
    Cormac Sharvin - 13 under after a 5 under 66 to be tied 32nd, 2 shots outside the projected 15 under mark that secures their European Tour card
    Robin Dawson - 3 under after a 3 over 74 to be tied 76th.

European Tour Q-School comes to a conclusion tomorrow in Lumine. A nerve-whacking day awaits. For Gavin and Cormac a huge day beckons for them. Lets hope both men can secure their European Tour cards tomorrow. For Robin, its a case for playing for pride and hopefully a better day awaits the Tramore clubman. Top 25 and ties secure their European Tour playing privileges for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Completely different. It is not possible to earn a good living in the league of Ireland. Most players are out of contract at the end of the season and have to find alternative work during the off season. Nobody is asking too much of the golfers. 4 events for God sake. They should remember who paid for their coaching when they were younger and support their home tour.

I agree that 4 events isn't a lot but these are professionals with a short career window. I don't blame any of them for playing where they can make the most. Remember they all have hefty obligations to sponsors as well.

In most sports where you are from or what passport you hold dictates who you can play for internationally. I'm happy with something similar for the Ryder Cup. Its about who they are, not where they play or live. Does Poulter look any less motivated in the RC because he lives in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭paulos53

A slow start for the Irish lads at Q-School today.

Cormac Sharvin has picked up 1 shot on the front 9 to move to -14
    Moynihan has parred the first 5 to stay on -16

I would guess that -18 will be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Moynihan up to T16 after birdie at 7. Sharvin fallen back to T41 now.

Without being too greedy, would be great for Gavin to edge towards Top 10 before the end of the day. Would get him much higher up the entry list for tournaments than last year when he struggled to even get in to events and didn't win a cent on the main tour until his last event of the season.

Latest scores here..

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/qualifying/season=2018/tournamentid=2018595/leaderboard/index.html#/leaderboard

Birdie for Moynihan - small cushion now

Latest from European Tour Q-School

Cormac Sharvin has a very anxious wait to see if he finishes in the top 25. Currently Tied for 26th at 15 under, after a 2 under 69

Gavin Moynihan has just bogeyed 15th, to drop to 17 under, one under for today's round and in a tied for 16th, with 3 holes to play.

The conditions were meant to deteriorate as the day progressed, so hopefully both Cormac and Gavin can secure their European Tour playing rights for 2019.

• Advertisement

Latest from European Tour Q-School

Cormac Sharvin has a very anxious wait to see if he finishes in the top 25. Currently Tied for 26th at 15 under, after a 2 under 69

Gavin Moynihan has just bogeyed 15th, to drop to 17 under, one under for today's round and in a tied for 16th, with 3 holes to play.

The conditions were meant to deteriorate as the day progressed, so hopefully both Cormac and Gavin can secure their European Tour playing rights for 2019.

Hope I am wrong but unrealistic for Sharvin, he needs someone to drop out f the group ahead and no one to pick up shots from behind and with a relatively straightforward finish it is unlikely he'll move up.

Advertisement