Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It looks like the European Tour are actual trying a few new things on their historically - terrible website.

Anyway - interesting few things going on here. Size of driver is funny.

http://www.europeantour.com/videoaud...d=365035.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rolex events certainly rake the money in, I would have thought the Dubai Desert was one of the top prize money events but Bryson got €476k for his win versus Shane's €1,024k, some difference.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Will Shane's T12th finish today propel him up the rankings at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

The European Tour have this clip on all their social media as if it's something to be proud of. Slow play is getting worse, not better. Give the f**kers shot penalties.

https://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/1089629619983126528

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

No change in ranking!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No change in ranking!

maybe no change, but it will benefit him in the long run and as previous poster said will solidify his top 50 ranking. with a high finish in a high ranking event he will drop small points and gain large points.

Once any player hits the top 50 and playing regularly a finish outside the top 10 but before 20 will generally keep him pretty much static (exceptions e.g. majors/WGC), to increase places from 10-50 a player needs consistent strong top 10s, to increase places in the top 10 a player needs to win or finish top 3 in strong tournaments.
    Simply put, if Shane continues with teen finishes he will remain as is and keep The Masters etc in his schedule, misses cuts or finishes outside 20 and he will fall, top 10s he will creep up, top 3/5 will raise him up well, a win and he will jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Watching this golf from Saudi Arabia. It’s fair depressing to watch. About 20 people watching it.

Fair play to Paul Casey turning down an invite with plenty of money. Looks like some of the paid stars will be having a weekend off most notably the world number 1. Just missed his first cut in 35 events I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Watching this golf from Saudi Arabia. It’s fair depressing to watch. About 20 people watching it.

Fair play to Paul Casey turning down an invite with plenty of money. Looks like some of the paid stars will be having a weekend off most notably the world number 1. Just missed his first cut in 35 events I think.

Seems to be a lot of heat going around about players taking part in this one alright.

Wonder how much it may, or may not, be playing on the players minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Hard not to suspect that some of the big names were happy to pocket the appearance money and take the weekend off. Its a decent prize fund (more than Dubai last week) so if the likes of Paul Dunne can make the cut, they could make a decent cheque.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Surely it’s a bad move turning up and taking the apprearance money and not making the weekend? Wouldn’t this effect their world ranking on the rolling events played? Missing a cut here may cancel out a high finish from before.

I doubt they turn up for the money ye alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

charlieIRL wrote:
    Surely it’s a bad move turning up and taking the apprearance money and not making the weekend? Wouldn’t this effect their world ranking on the rolling events played? Missing a cut here may cancel out a high finish from before.

Maybe I'm being too cynical - the purse is bigger than Dubai last week. Just notable that those going home early include Rose, Stenson, Westwood, Els, Olsen and others that you'd expect to cruise through.

I reckon those top 5 players are pocketing a million plus expenses just for showing up, they won’t turn that down, course looks nice, greens have pretty big level changes but look slow, also I didn’t think it would be as breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

charlieIRL wrote: »

Its what, a 20 hour flight from California to Riyadh? From a golfing perspective, it makes absolutely no sense for Justin Rose to be playing there even if he used a private jet. He's there for the money and the money alone. It's a bonus to him that it ticks off one of his required ET events for his card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

All pro golfers are there for the money. In ANY event. That's kind of the point.

If you're getting an appearance fee worth roughly the same as the main prize you'd be mad not to go. It's the equivalent of a free play in Rugby.

I doubt he deliberately missed the cut but I doubt cares much that he did.

4 eagles from Li today. 3 on par 4’s. be brilliant for him to win after what happened on the 18th last Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Did I hear Sergio got DQ’d for damaging a green?

If he did hopefully that’ll stop the carry on from Rahm and Hatton.

There was a ridiculous Penalty in Phoenix open similar to Li ruling last week but a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Remind me wrote: »
    Did I hear Sergio got DQ’d for damaging a green?

If he did hopefully that’ll stop the carry on from Rahm and Hatton.

There was a ridiculous Penalty in Phoenix open similar to Li ruling last week but a lot worse.

Not just a green but “a couple” according to Sergio himself and “several” according to other accounts. Also apparently brutalised a bunker that was giving him some trouble. The Saudi air not agreeing with him this week it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

Not just a green but “a couple” according to Sergio himself and “several” according to other accounts. Also apparently brutalised a bunker that was giving him some trouble. The Saudi air not agreeing with him this week it would seem.

Very childish (and boorish) behaviour for a 39 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Whatever about giving a bunker a few swipes, damaging multiple greens is shockingly poor behaviour for a pro

Garcia was disqualified under rule 1.2a after admitting to damaging greens "in frustration".

He told the European Tour's website: "I respect the decision of my disqualification. In frustration, I damaged a couple of greens, for which I apologise, and I have informed my fellow players it will never happen again."

Players in the groups immediately behind García are understood to have voiced their upset after being forced to encounter this spoiled turf. He was called before European Tour officials after details emerged of clubs being smashed into putting surfaces on several occasions. 5 greens deemed "damaged".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I know he’s never been exactly the most placid guy in golf, to be fair, but this sort of behavior still borders on the extreme. Did his playing partners not have something to say about it? Was it highlighted on the live coverage? There’s frustration and then there’s this sort of wilful, reckless carry on. Very bizarre to say the least.

This is a first for all of us really. When has this rule ever come up. We regularly see John Rahman or Hatton get angry for instance but never result in anything like a DQ.

Iv always been a low handicap golfer and have on numerous occasion got angry/frustrated but damaging a green!! That’s off the chart mad really.

It certainly wasn’t brought up on the early coverage but I would love to see what actually happened. At least he owned up to being Dick straight away

...At least he owned up to being Dick straight away...

He had no choice, damage limitation I would say, his manager was involved in the meeting with tour officials so I'd say he just wanted to get out there ahead of the press regardless of how Sergio actually reacted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Tom Lewis is playing some golf -5 after 5 today and -13 for last 23 holes.

And then he goes and bogeys hole 6!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great chip in by Li on 9th. DJ with a terrible putt, gets the par though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

If Sergio did this to 5 greens then it's disgraceful. A DQ from the competition is not enough. He should be suspended from the Tour.

https://twitter.com/DempsterMartin/status/1092027537172168704

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just when people had warmed to Sergio.

Played with a lad throwing clubs around and losing head recently.

Just a clown.

A round of golf is not just about you and you are actually playing with other people.

The place is a kip and tour shouldn't be there. But no excuse.

Advertisement