Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Suspicious lack of footage and photos of the Sergio greens. Damage can mean various levels of severity. That said it was obviously a bad run of incidents and sounds like a DQ was certainly a fair call.

Calls of throwing him off the tour though smacks of "I don't like Sergio".

As far as this tournament goes, not really sure what it's bringing to the table. Hopefully it's not going to be a permanent fixture.

On another note, Haotong Li has gone -29 for the 6 rounds making up rounds 1-3 of this week and last week......and I don't think he has led on his own in that time. Didn't even have a top 10 to show from it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Exciting finish upcoming. DJ ended up in the Red Sea (his ball, not him), so lead will get cut again with 2 to play. May even disappear totally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

ligerdub wrote: »
    Calls of throwing him off the tour though smacks of "I don't like Sergio".

Who was calling for that? He definitely should and I'm guessing will get a suspension. He openly admitted to damaging several greens. If someone doesn't think that's worthy of a suspension, I don't think they understand golf etiquette or the amount of work that goes into maintaining a golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mojo Hand

I was expecting Sergio’s antics to headline Sky this morning, but not a dickey bird? No footage anywhere either. Surely it was caught on camera? Unless they brought it up later this morning after I left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

HighLine wrote: »
    Who was calling for that? He definitely should and I'm guessing will get a suspension. He openly admitted to damaging several greens. If someone doesn't think that's worthy of a suspension, I don't think they understand golf etiquette or the amount of work that goes into maintaining a golf course.

Yeah I think he could definitely be looking at a suspension. I mean if someone did that at their club they would be up in front of the committee. Disgraceful carry on. I'm saying this as someone who has a bit of a soft spot for Sergio, despite all his previous shenanigans.

• Advertisement

Pa8301 wrote: »
    Yeah I think he could definitely be looking at a suspension. I mean if someone did that at their club they would be up in front of the committee. Disgraceful carry on. I'm saying this as someone who has a bit of a soft spot for Sergio, despite all his previous shenanigans.

Yeah I'm the same, fan of Sergio and love when he is in contention in a tournament but was shocked to hear about what he did. One green would be bad enough but 5... it's just crazy.

And as you say, if anyone did that at my course, they would be on a holiday for a few months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Mojo Hand wrote: »
    I was expecting Sergio’s antics to headline Sky this morning, but not a dickey bird? No footage anywhere either. Surely it was caught on camera? Unless they brought it up later this morning after I left.

Might have been asked to keep it on the low

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

slave1 wrote: »
    Might have been asked to keep it on the low

Saw that reported in one of the papers, guardian I think. Bit craven of the broadcaster if that indeed is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I wonder did he keep his appearance money.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^ you mean disappearance money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Think it’s being completely blown out of proportion.

Sergio’s statement was jumped on by the journos. Claims other players made complaints and bad damage to several greens is BS because there is no proof bar 1 picture.

In saying that he was rightly DQ’d because to make the divot in that picture on a green he has given it a decent smack and hopefully it’ll lead to other players not being a petulant.

Calls for a suspension etc... are OTT and can’t see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Remind me wrote: »
    Think it’s being completely blown out of proportion.

Sergio’s statement was jumped on by the journos. Claims other players made complaints and bad damage to several greens is BS because there is no proof bar 1 picture.

In saying that he was rightly DQ’d because to make the divot in that picture on a green he has given it a decent smack and hopefully it’ll lead to other players not being a petulant.

Calls for a suspension etc... are OTT and can’t see it happening.

It's no BS, there's no (photographic) proof because they are in Saudi Arabia, the journalists either are not there or are not allowed cover it. Lawrence Donegan summed it up well:

https://twitter.com/lawrencedonegan/status/1091898288456888321

bren2001 wrote:
    It's no BS, there's no (photographic) proof because they are in Saudi Arabia, the journalists either are not there or are not allowed cover it. Lawrence Donegan summed it up well:

The tournament was on live TV all four days. Perhaps some conspiracy took place between Sky and the European Tour to hide Sergio's transgressions but to accuse the Saudis of media supression is ridiculous.

First Up wrote: »
    The tournament was on live TV all four days. Perhaps some conspiracy took place between Sky and the European Tour to hide Sergio's transgressions but to accuse the Saudis of media supression is ridiculous.

It's possible I'm misinterpreting Lawrences tweet and he just means professional journalists don't cover the ET. I don't believe I am.

However, its a perfectly fair accusation to throw at one of the most restrictive and oppressive countries in the world. It's official state law to monitor media and impose restrictions. The Reporters Without Borders report of 2014 labelled the Saudi Arabian government as "relentless in its censorship of the Saudi media and the Internet". They are ranked at 169th out of 180 countries for freedom of press. They've (reportedly) hired Publicis Groupe to whitewash their history. Just look at how they handled Khashoggi this year. I could really go on listing more controversies.

I don't think its in any way ridiculous to suggest that after paying a few million to get a golf tournament there combined with their history of censorship, that they might restrict or try to stop negative press like Sergio.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

bren2001 wrote: »
    It's possible I'm misinterpreting Lawrences tweet and he just means professional journalists don't cover the ET. I don't believe I am.

However, its a perfectly fair accusation to throw at one of the most restrictive and oppressive countries in the world. It's official state law to monitor media and impose restrictions. The Reporters Without Borders report of 2014 labelled the Saudi Arabian government as "relentless in its censorship of the Saudi media and the Internet". They are ranked at 169th out of 180 countries for freedom of press. They've (reportedly) hired Publicis Groupe to whitewash their history. Just look at how they handled Khashoggi this year. I could really go on listing more controversies.

I don't think its in any way ridiculous to suggest that after paying a few million to get a golf tournament there combined with their history of censorship, that they might restrict or try to stop negative press like Sergio.

If Sergio went low on Saturday the first thing to be shown on the live coverage would be a highlight reel mix of approach shots and putts on all the holes he birdied. To say there’s no footage is bull****

bren2001 wrote:

I'm well aware of what Saudi Arabia is like and I agree it is curious that we saw nothing of it.

But decisions on what to show during a live event are taken in the control room by those in charge of the broadcast. Are you suggesting the Saudi government had someone sitting in the director's seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

I'm well aware of what Saudi Arabia is like and I agree it is curious that we saw nothing of it.

But decisions on what to show during a live event are taken in the control room by those in charge of the broadcast. Are you suggesting the Saudi government had someone sitting in the director's seat?

Sergio was well down the field so not surprising that he wasn’t shown in the live coverage. The issue here is that after it became known he was DQd, no footage emerged of the incidents.

idle wrote: »
    If Sergio went low on Saturday the first thing to be shown on the live coverage would be a highlight reel mix of approach shots and putts on all the holes he birdied. To say there’s no footage is bull****

I certainly never said there wasn't footage, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't.

No, I'm not suggesting that. I wouldn't imagine there's a need for that. My point ultimately lies on the fact if this happened in another country Ireland/England/Scotland etc. we'd see footage of it and hear players interviewed about it. Why have we not? Keith Pelley issued a big enough statement over a 2 shot penalty last week. Where's the discussion of Sergio being DQ'd?

The logical answer is Saudi Arabia. These events are worth far too much money to the ET.

idle wrote:
    Sergio was well down the field so not surprising that he wasn’t shown in the live coverage. The issue here is that after it became known he was DQd, no footage emerged of the incidents.

It is more likely that Sky chose not to show it because it was unsightly and offensive to show their hosts' golf course being so abused.

Of course the Saudi media is under state control but there are more important issues to complain about than Sergio embarrassing himself.

It is more likely that Sky chose not to show it because it was unsightly and offensive to show their hosts' golf course being so abused.

Of course the Saudi media is under state control but there are more important issues to complain about than Sergio embarrassing himself.

I think Sky show that footage if it happens in Europe. I think they discuss it in studio (which I didn't see them do). I don't think they did because of the money involved. It's pretty obvious the Saudis would not be pleased. I don't think it requires government officials moderating the golf.

Ignoring the post round interviews, where are the media interviewing the players in the groups behind? Where are the quotes? Where are the photos? Sky cannot control the independent journalists and I think it's really odd we're seeing and hearing very little about this. Based on Lawrence Donnegans quote, I'm assuming they were not invited or they are incredibly strict rules over what they can/cannot write about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

You could be right, either way sky don’t come out of this well imo. Is it that much different to mcilroy throwing or breaking clubs which they are always happy to replay several times with multiple analysis. Sergio dq is one of the major stories of the week and the broadcaster is seemingly happy to all but airbrush it. Pretty shameful whatever the reason I’d say.

bren2001 wrote:
    Ignoring the post round interviews, where are the media interviewing the players in the groups behind? Where are the quotes? Where are the photos? Sky cannot control the independent journalists and I think it's really odd we're seeing and hearing very little about this. Based on Lawrence Donnegans quote, I'm assuming they were not invited or they are incredibly strict rules over what they can/cannot write about.

They may not have bothered to go. Getting a Saudi visa is laborious at the best of times and probably twice as laborious for journalists. Plus it isn't exactly a fun-filled trip (although interesting.)

The heir to the throne is loosening a lot of restrictions and would want the golf event to look good as a symbol of the "new" Saudi Arabia. They even have (unrealistic) ambitions for the tourist sector.

Maybe the full Sergio story will come out; he's a favourite of Sky so I don't think they were ever going to condemn him from a height.

But the real issue is who decided what (not) to show and I think it was 99% down to Sky.

If people want to start a discussion on what Saudi Arabia is like I'll be happy to contribute.

More on the issue here. Crazy IMO that there will be no further action taken against Sergio.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/sorry-sergio-garcia-will-not-face-ban-over-damaging-greens-in-saudi-1-4866884

Some weird priorities alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

bren2001 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/lawrencedonegan/status/1091898288456888321

If that’s the case fair enough.

I know I keep harping on about this but I honestly can't fathom what got into Sergio that he went so far off the rails. Again.. to damage 5 greens like he did is crazy and him not getting a suspension is ridiculous. Below is a clip of his bunker tantrum.

https://twitter.com/GeoffShac/status/1092259661758160896

I know I keep harping on about this but I honestly can't fathom what got into Sergio that he went so far off the rails. Again.. to damage 5 greens like he did is crazy and him not getting a suspension is ridiculous. Below is a clip of his bunker tantrum.

It's not shown here but he had been in a bad lie at the back of the bunker and left if in the bunker. He was having a rant about the original lie and how the bunker was raked as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

I think there must be something going on in Sergio's life at the moment that is contributing to how he behaved. While he's always been a bit temperamental, his behaviour this week was totally off the wall. I just hope for his sake that it's nothing too serious.

Regarding the imposition of a ban, it would be pretty ineffective given that Sergio plays most of his golf in the USA. And the European Tour are trying to encourage the top players to play more events in Europe (or, more accurately, in European Tour events), so imposing a ban would be shooting themselves in the foot to some extent.

Having said this, they have totally chickened out and I think it's a sad sign of how far the European Tour has fallen in recent years (Rolex series notwithstanding).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I don't think banning will do anyone any favours.

DQ should be enough of a punishment from bad behaviour.

Bans should be imposed for more serious offences, but in fairness we don't really see any Eric Cantona or Trevor Brennan moments in Golf.

Advertisement