Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Seve OB wrote: »
    I don't think banning will do anyone any favours.

DQ should be enough of a punishment from bad behaviour.

Bans should be imposed for more serious offences, but in fairness we don't really see any Eric Cantona or Trevor Brennan moments in Golf.

You don't think taking divots on/damaging 5 different greens is a serious offence? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

abff wrote:
    I think there must be something going on in Sergio's life at the moment that is contributing to how he behaved. While he's always been a bit temperamental, his behaviour this week was totally off the wall. I just hope for his sake that it's nothing too serious.

Most people will experience personal tragedys throughout their working life. I've thankfully never witnessed a co-worker come into the office and wreck their desk.

If he has personal issues he should take time away from the game. He has an extremely fortunate life, so I personally don't think theres any excuse for this $hite.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So some more info filtering through, taking divots on green(s), pictures taken but not being made public, each of the 4 groups behind Garcia called separate referees when they got to greens to ask what was going on as there was divots and highly raised patches that looked tore up from more than casual dragging of feet. Refs then got the tournament director involved and it was traced to Garcia who was informed on the 12th it was a disqualifying situation.

So he did the damage over the first 11 holes so that was 5 greens out of 11 damaged, not 5 out of 18 which I originally thought.

Also, there's no excuse for doing that in the bunker regardless of the lie, others have to follow and it's a disgusting example to be setting.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

His tantrum in the bunker was pretty unedifying.

Exactly wrote: »
    It's not shown here but he had been in a bad lie at the back of the bunker and left if in the bunker. He was having a rant about the original lie and how the bunker was raked as well.

Just noticed your post, LOL so he got a badly raked bunker (punishable at pro level with a fine if you leave a bunker unraked) and then went on to do that, not nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sergio raw = Sergio hacked the sh1t out of bunker.
    Sergio PGA edit = Sergio has a unique raking style.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

HighLine wrote: »
    You don't think taking divots on/damaging 5 different greens is a serious offence? :eek:

That's not what I said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

Most people will experience personal tragedys throughout their working life. I've thankfully never witnessed a co-worker come into the office and wreck their desk.

If he has personal issues he should take time away from the game. He has an extremely fortunate life, so I personally don't think theres any excuse for this $hite.

I agree that it's no excuse. I was just wondering if there was something going on in the background that might explain his extremely erratic behaviour. He's always been a bit tempestuous, but this was a bit extreme, even for him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Did he dig up the greens or what?

abff wrote: »
    I agree that it's no excuse. I was just wondering if there was something going on in the background that might explain his extremely erratic behaviour. He's always been a bit tempestuous, but this was a bit extreme, even for him.

Ah, he's been a bit over the edge a while now, spitting, language after losing to Padraig in 2008, fried chicken comment.
    This first European Tour player to ever be disqualified under this rule and I'd say that was a brave decision as he's on the border of being a European Tour member (although he surely was given life membership after winning The Masters)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,361 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I've done it before. I'm not proud of it. When the red mist descends just watch out.

Hopefully the DQ gives him the wakeup call, though I think a ban would definitely make a few people stop in their tracks. It certainly would have for me if it had happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rikand wrote: »
    I've done it before. I'm not proud of it. When the red mist descends just watch out.

Hopefully the DQ gives him the wakeup call, though I think a ban would definitely make a few people stop in their tracks. It certainly would have for me if it had happened to me.

You've stuck a putter into a green?

Did someone in group say anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,361 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You've stuck a putter into a green?

Did someone in group say anything?

Threw the putter about 20 feet up in the air. It landed toe first into the green. I got absolutely eaten by playing partners and the group behind. I didnt do it again.

Still have a tendancy to go rage tilt on a badly raked bunker just like Sergio did

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Multiple sources have confirmed Sergio upset at the standard of the greens whilst putting in Saudi declared they should be 'blown up by a suicide bomber'

@TheClub

Is there no footage because it didn’t happen?!

idle wrote: »
    Multiple sources have confirmed Sergio upset at the standard of the greens whilst putting in Saudi declared they should be 'blown up by a suicide bomber'

@TheClub

Let me see if I've got this right? He was unhappy with the condition of the greens, so he decided to make things worse by damaging them further?

Doesn't sound like much of an excuse or a mitigating factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

abff wrote: »
    Let me see if I've got this right? He was unhappy with the condition of the greens, so he decided to make things worse by damaging them further?

Doesn't sound like much of an excuse or a mitigating factor.

I think they’re implying he was DQd for the comments and the damaged greens is a cover story. Don’t know what to believe to be honest but it did seem unusual that there was no footage of the alleged incidents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I think they’re implying he was DQd for the comments and the damaged greens is a cover story. Don’t know what to believe to be honest but it did seem unusual that there was no footage of the alleged incidents

Well considering Sergio released a statement admitting damaging several greens combined with a photo of the damage taken by the some media and the complaints from the golfers who had to follow him, I think it's safe to say he did indeed cause damage to the greens.

Photo of one one the greens after repair a day later, we'll just have to imagine how bad it looked immediately afterwards, was it near the hole on putting line etc.

DyepOXsWwAA0jm8.jpg

@TheClub

This has to be a joke :eek::confused::D

If true - It probably gives you an insight into how much of a spoiled child the lad is. You don't say **** like that in work - then you certainly do not say it in Saudi. :p

It's beside the point - but we all know (well most) the European Tour shouldn't be there , golf and Pelly and crew , lost all respect as an organisation with any concept of corporate responsibility gone.

But back to our petulant one. Will be interesting to see what is up with Sergio - because only 2 years ago - he was winning the masters in love and everyone loved Sergio again.

We all have stuff going on - but even at our level , nothing worse than playing with a clown like that, and everyone else trying to stay in their own zone or enjoy the game. It gets worse when Sergio is damaging the course for pros who it is actually their job and that week is important for them. Sergio has millions and exemptions

But again - leadership from the top.

I'm no prude - but the behavior of a good few pros has got of hand and for too long.

The "no Fore"
    The Selfish slow play
    The banging clubs into the course
    The talking after you take a bad shot
    The anger
    The giving out to the caddy
    The Club throwing

The general miserable demeanor is hard to watch - but I understand this part.
    It is just nice when you see a pro who likes the game.

You wouldn't see stuff mentioned above at a club and if you did you would be pulled up fairly quick.

They are not in the real world.

I'd give him a ban to make an example of him. But again - a bit harsh , when the general behaviour in game has been tolerated for too long.

I'd love to put a few of them in a fish factory on min wage for a week - and see how they enjoy it when they go back. :)

Before all this kicked off.
    I flicked on during week , even if I hate this Arab money grab. First player - a newish player - first hole I see, misses a putt, swings arms, bends over his putter , takes an age to mark ball , talks to anyone who will listen about how "these are the worst greens I ever played on". I looked around, not a fan at the hole. In a desert with no view or tree or grass. What the hell has happened to the European tour.

Get on with it - and be grateful for every day you are out there. Because it is an extraordinary privilege. There are kids in pro shops all over the world who would give anything to be out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

• Advertisement

:D:p

There has to be footage of him breaking greens up.

The European tour has African and Asian events and its no harm, golf is a sport and politics should be left to one side, without these there would be no golf until April or May until the beginning of half decent weather, off continent golf better than no golf...

slave1 wrote: »
    The European tour has African and Asian events and its no harm, golf is a sport and politics should be left to one side, without these there would be no golf until April or May until the beginning of half decent weather, off continent golf better than no golf...

Is that true ?

We could list 100s of events when sport and politics are fundamental aspects of a sporting event.

The European tour doesn't have to have a Saudi event. It just sold itself out.

There have been significant sporting boycotts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭paulos53

An unusual format in Australia this week with a joint event with the LPGA. Both the mens and women's events are played on the same courses with alternating teetimes and equal prize funds.

With that in mind I wonder if they tried too hard to avoid a tough course setup as the scoring is very low. Nick Flanagan leads on -10 while James Nitties equalled the pro tour record of 9 consecutive birdies.

Paul Dunne is -3 and only good enough for T65th so it will be one of the lowest ever cuts on the European Tour.

Other Irish scores:

Michael Hoey -6 (T15th)
    Gavin Moynihan -5 (T32)
    Conor Purcell Level (T127)

Stephanie Meadow is -3 (T22) in the LPGA event with Leona Maguire on +1 (T97)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Can you tell which sex are faster/slower players?

paulos53 wrote: »
    An unusual format in Australia this week with a joint event with the LPGA. Both the mens and women's events are played on the same courses with alternating teetimes and equal prize funds.

Are they playing off the same tees and is par the same for men and women?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭paulos53

A few tees are the same but mostly they are on different tees. There are 2 courses in use and they look very short by Pro standards. http://www.vicopengolf.com/card

The Beach course is just over 300 yards longer for the men and par 72 for both.
    The Creek course is 365 yards longer but is a par 72 for the men and par 73 for the women.

I believe the men are easily making up the yard difference off the tee and are hitting shorter irons into the greens

paulos53 wrote: »
    A few tees are the same but mostly they are on different tees. There are 2 courses in use and they look very short by Pro standards. http://www.vicopengolf.com/card

The Beach course is just over 300 yards longer for the men and par 72 for both.
    The Creek course is 365 yards longer but is a par 72 for the men and par 73 for the women.

I believe the men are easily making up the yard difference off the tee and are hitting shorter irons into the greens

I would have thought the rationale behind this type of event would be to provide a like for like comparison between male and female golfers. What they've done sounds like a total fudge and renders the comparison relatively meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

abff wrote:
    I would have thought the rationale behind this type of event would be to provide a like for like comparison between male and female golfers. What they've done sounds like a total fudge and renders the comparison relatively meaningless.

It isn't meant to be a comparison. They are playing two separate competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The men’s and women’s tournaments have been held concurrently for several years now, the only difference this year is the involvement of the LPGA. That gives an indication of how successful the concept has been and reckon it won’t be long before it’s introduced to the US and probably Europe as well.

Advertisement