Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

Final results for the Irish players involved at the Vic Open in Australia...

MEN'S EVENT:

T17 Paul Dunne & Michael Hoey (€12,169 each)

T27 Gavin Moynihan (€9,188)

150 Conor Purcell (amateur, missed 36 hole cut)

WOMEN'S EVENT:

T44 Leona Maguire (made 36 hole cut, but missed 54 hole cut to play final round by 1 shot - prizemoney for T44 was US$ 4,101)

Life’s tough on the European tour with that level of cash for a half decent finish . Can’t be doing much better than breaking even there once expenses paid

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It was a very low purse event, €156k first prize

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

slave1 wrote:
    It was a very low purse event, €156k first prize

I assume they are staying down under for a few more tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

First Up wrote: »
    I assume they are staying down under for a few more tournaments.

Dunne, Hoey and Moynihan all entered in next European Tour event in Perth starting Thursday.

Leona Maguire has an entry in next ladies European Tour event also in Oz on Thursday week.

Purcell down there for the last few weeks taking in the Australian Amateur Championship, which he won! That's what got him an entry to the pro event this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2019/0213/1029305-european-tour-prizes/

I wonder will this have any significant impact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

MaxPower89 wrote: »

Historically I haven't seen any large significant differences in fields for larger prize pool events on the Euro Tour.

This (you would say on paper) should create a big buzz for players to come over from the US but I'd say it will be business-as-usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

MaxPower89 wrote: »

I think the majority of US players just wont bother to travel, they dont need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think the majority of US players just wont bother to travel, they dont need the money.

Agreed.

Are they going to continue to pay crazy appearance fees?

That money would be a lot more beneficial if it was spread throughout the prize money to benefit lads who at the other end of the race to Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Remind me wrote: »
    Agreed.

Are they going to continue to pay crazy appearance fees?

That money would be a lot more beneficial if it was spread throughout the prize money to benefit lads who at the other end of the race to Dubai.

Organisers of these events in Dubai/Abu Dhabi don't care for those guys. They want the big names there, makes it look good for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Some dodgy looking course in Qatar this week... patches of repair everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Shocker of a back 9 from Moynihan to miss cut by 1. He was flying at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

I haven't watched more than 15 mins of golf on the European tour this year. Its just become so hard to both watch as the courses seem so poor and listen to as sky's commentary is woeful at this time of the year.
    The tour must be really struggling when only 5 or 6 weeks are really worth watching versus the pgatours 30+ weeks of top quality golf.

We just don't have the weather yet so have to travel far to get something for a tour event, and the US circuit is already well up and running so will attract the better players.
    It's just a function of time

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Anyone know what's going on with Robin Dawson. 17 shots behind the leader after R1 today and dead last.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

European level is just a different standard and plenty of pros have struggled. It's tough going and he's had a poor start to his pro career. Hopefully he can turn things around.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Anyone know what's going on with Robin Dawson. 17 shots behind the leader after R1 today and dead last.

Followed the 83 up with a 68!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Hopefully day 1's score is the outlier over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In the Kenya Open, Denmark's Jeff Winther shot an 80 (+9) on Thursday so he changed his air ticket to go home on Friday night. He then shot a 64 (-7) on Friday to make the cut on +2 so had to change the ticket back to his original schedule.

According to this tweet from Thomas Bjorn, he now needs a top 20 finish to break even! Looks unlikley as he shot +1 today so is well down the field.

https://twitter.com/thomasbjorngolf/status/1106586600467820545

Just shows how little money they play on the European tour if he needs a top 20 to break even from buying a plane ticket. European lads playing for 1.1 million euros American lads playing for 12.5 million dollars. McIlroy was right when he said the European tour is a stepping stone. European tour is in Kenya ffs and has yet to actually hit Europe and won't until May.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Former British Amateur Champion and 5 time European Tour winner Mikko Ilonen has announced his retirement from professional golf. Irish golf fans will remember him winning the 2014 Irish Open in Fota Island. A great golfer and above all else a gentlemen too, Ilonen retires from the sport with the respect of his fellow peers on the European Tour. Best of luck to Mikko on whatever you do in the future.

• Advertisement

...European tour is in Kenya ffs and has yet to actually hit Europe and won't until May.

It's just a timing/weather thing, we don't have the weather so to continue events it's a non-European location for another month or so.
    Without these off-continent events the European Tour would simple cease from late October until May

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I think the European Tour should focus on getting more events in Britain and ireland during the summer months and get tournaments in the warmer climes of Spain Portugal etc at the either end of these months, There are far too many tournaments in these far flung places with only a man and a dog as spectators with no atmosphere at all.Not so long ago we had The Irish Open , European Open on these shores with massive crowds and in Britain we had British Masters,English Open ,B&H masters,Proper World Matchplay and throw in to the mix Scottish open and then The Open, These events were hugely supported so I don't know what went wrong ! Did sponsorship dry up or did the tour demand too much for the privilege of staging an event ?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I think the European Tour should focus on getting more events in Britain and ireland during the summer months and get tournaments in the warmer climes of Spain Portugal etc at the either end of these months, There are far too many tournaments in these far flung places with only a man and a dog as spectators with no atmosphere at all.Not so long ago we had The Irish Open , European Open on these shores with massive crowds and in Britain we had British Masters,English Open ,B&H masters,Proper World Matchplay and throw in to the mix Scottish open and then The Open, These events were hugely supported so I don't know what went wrong ! Did sponsorship dry up or did the tour demand too much for the privilege of staging an event ?

we had the Irish open and European Open.

Now we have the Rolex series Irish Open and the Open championship.

Were grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

slave1 wrote: »
    It's just a timing/weather thing, we don't have the weather so to continue events it's a non-European location for another month or so.
    Without these off-continent events the European Tour would simple cease from late October until May

What about a Winter League ..... soft lads :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not the weather, it's a lack of sponsors and everyone knows it. It's now late March, the temperature is in the high teens over most of southern Europe but there won't be a tournament on the European Tour anywhere in mainland Europe until the British Masters in May. In Southport.

Spain, Portugal, Italy and the south of France could all host tournaments in March and April if there was sponsors available. And Madeira could fill a slot in February.

If you need proof that weather is not the issue, just look at the glaring gap in the ET calendar in the first half of August - there's three weeks between the WGC-St. Jude Invitational in the US (July 25-28) and the Czech Masters (Aug. 15-18) i.e. two weekends in a row in the middle of summer with no tournaments on the European Tour.

26 degrees in Lisbon last week.
    How hot does it have to be.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

we had the Irish open and European Open.

Now we have the Rolex series Irish Open and the Open championship.

Were grand.

We have The Irish open, The Open is in The UK

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    We have The Irish open, The Open is in The UK

Oh your in that camp.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Sponsors want players and the top players won’t be there in August as playoffs are on. That’s reality.

Apart from desert swing or players sponsor you won’t see many top pros playing on euro tour from February to September bar run up to open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Oh your in that camp.

K

He doesn't even have to be in that camp.
    We had the European open year after year after year.....
    British open once......... Not the same thing

Advertisement