Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Twas some play-off alright, good viewing. I missed the 16 and 17th due to the over run and no record but glad to catch the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Twas some play-off alright, good viewing. I missed the 16 and 17th due to the over run and no record but glad to catch the end.

Hearn had a birdie putt on the 16th after the other two had missed theirs. It was a longish putt so no real surprise that it went to the next hole.

He then had a 5 or 6 footer to win it on the 17th... He really should have sank it, the other two lads were in the background and they had their hats off in anticipation of his win... His putt lipped out. He'll have a few nightmares about it.

Interesting point made during the playoff, considering it was a birdie fest all weekend, not one birdie came in the 5 holes playoff, with a messy par on the 5th winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Here's Jordan Spieth's bunker shot on the last that got him into the play-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

It was a funny one from my own point of view. Once the playoff started I found myself supporting Zach Johnson and when Hearn had his short putt to win it I felt guilty that I kind of hoped he'd miss.

That was until the commentators pointed out that this would be by far the high point of Hearn's career and combined with the fact that Spieth has such a promising career ahead of him and Johnson already being a major winner, I then found myself really wanting Hearn to make the putt...which of course meant that he was doomed. :rolleyes: Sorry about that David. :( Hopefully we'll see him get a win on the PGA Tour before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

McDowell put a very good round together today after a mare yesterday. Safely makes the cut for the weekend although he has his work cut out to rein in the leaders.

http://www.pgatour.com/leaderboard.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Just seen Mahan has withdrawn. What's happened him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Just seen Mahan has withdrawn. What's happened him?
    his wife gone into labor! Merrick will play on his own now i wonder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Aidric wrote: »
    McDowell put a very good round together today after a mare yesterday.

Followed by another mare :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

McDowell misses the Saturday cut. Said on twitter he didn't even know there was one, how gutted would you be when your expecting to improve on aspects of your game on the Sunday after a poor Saturday before flying home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

McDowell misses the Saturday cut. Said on twitter he didn't even know there was one, how gutted would you be when your expecting to improve on aspects of your game on the Sunday after a poor Saturday before flying home.

Yes, I saw that there was a 3rd round cut and was surprised because only 77 players. But there were two players who withdrew and I guess the third round cut is based on how many qualify for the second round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    his wife gone into labor!

Baby girl today.

Meanwhile on the course a very exciting back 9 in prospect. Snedeker has a 3 shot lead with Kuchar and Dustin Johnson chasing him down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

He knew well when the cut was, just like every other pro that entered it.

Fcuk me pink, the mind boggles at the stuff people actually believe lol.

He knew well when the cut was, just like every other pro that entered it.lol.

Not necessarily. The third round cut happens when more than 78 players make the second round cut. 79 players made the cut and 2 withdrew, leaving 77 players. GMac may have mistakenly believed that this would eliminate the need for a third round cut.

It was a pretty dumb mistake to make - he should have checked, but I can how it would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

So it's the WGC Bridgestone Invitational this weekend at Firestone Golf Club. Tee times have just been released here... http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/bridgestone-invitational/tee-times.html

Bad start to the week for Lowry as his clubs have been lost by an airline yet again (he thinks it's the 5th time this year). Hopefully they get him sorted asap.

Rory started his comeback here last time out with a T5 after a dismal start to the year so let's hope he can do the same this year. He just has too much talent to stay down for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Bad start to the week for Lowry as his clubs have been lost by an airline yet again (he thinks it's the 5th time this year). Hopefully they get him sorted asap.

Beginning to think it's an insurance scam at this stage!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Beginning to think it's an insurance scam at this stage!!! ;)

Yeah - my travel insurance offers €250 for lost golf clubs - that ought to cover Shane's :D

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Bad start to the week for Lowry as his clubs have been lost by an airline yet again (he thinks it's the 5th time this year).

To lose one set of clubs may be regarded as a misfortune. To lose five looks like carelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

I think this week will be the litmus test for McIlroy's season. He's had 3 Top 10s in a row here and 11 of his last 12 rounds in the 60s so no excuses really. If he fails to perform you can pretty much chalk it down as a lost season unless something extraordinary happens.

Also don't forget Harrington is in Reno-Tahoe this week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

SSK wrote: »
    I think this week will be the litmus test for McIlroy's season. He's had 3 Top 10s in a row here and 11 of his last 12 rounds in the 60s so no excuses really. If he fails to perform you can pretty much chalk it down as a lost season unless something extraordinary happens.

Also don't forget Harrington is in Reno-Tahoe this week

Read a good article in a US magazine last week, the US folk are really pissed at Luke and Rory especially still having such a high ranking, I mean Rory at number 3 is a joke if you look at the points he's gained this season, with the extensive coverage over here you get to see a lot more shots and a lot of the shots he's playing are just brutal, not web.com standard nevermind PGA tour standard.
    Actually mentioning the web.com tour, seen two 59s in the last two weeks unfold live on TV, cracking stuff.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

abff wrote: »
    To lose one set of clubs may be regarded as a misfortune. To lose five looks like carelessness.

It's out of his control, what else can he do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

slave1 wrote: »
    Read a good article in a US magazine last week, the US folk are really pissed at Luke and Rory especially still having such a high ranking, I mean Rory at number 3 is a joke if you look at the points he's gained this season, with the extensive coverage over here you get to see a lot more shots and a lot of the shots he's playing are just brutal, not web.com standard nevermind PGA tour standard.
    Actually mentioning the web.com tour, seen two 59s in the last two weeks unfold live on TV, cracking stuff.

So they have an issue with a player who has 4 wins in the last 12 months including a major still being number 3 in the world?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think it more a reflection of his performance in this calendar year.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

They can be as pissed as they want.
    He earned his right like everyone else to be there. He obviously had high enough points for not to be caught or get out of the top 3 too quickly which goes to show how well he was playing.
    Wonder if they would have written the article if Mahan, Mickleson, Woods etc were in the same position....I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Harrington not even in the WGC! at Reno instaed ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Martin567

That's ridiculous. Tiger's troubles started in November 2009. He then didn't play golf at all for about four months and didn't win any event in all of 2010. He remained No 1 in the rankings all the way through until the very end of October 2010. Was that magazine complaining then?

There is an alternative world ranking (I can't think of the name at the moment) that does things on a 12 month basis only. To give an idea of how silly it can get, about two months ago Steve Stricker was the World No 1.

It's hard in any sport to get a ranking system that everyone is happy with. I think it's better that it takes a while to move down the rankings if your performances are poor. I don't want a really volatile system where the players at the top are constantly changing based on who happens to have been hot the last few weeks.

Other sports have different problems. In tennis before the French Open, Nadal was a couple of places ahead of Ferrer in the rankings. They met in the final, Nadal won easily and the very next day Ferrer was ahead of Nadal. That could not happen in golf.

It's out of his control, what else can he do?

It was a joke. It's based on a line from The Importance of Being Ernest.

And does that give you pleasure or amuse you for some reason? Why?

abff wrote: »
    It was a joke. It's based on a line from The Importance of Being Ernest.

:D I get jokes. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

You need to top 50 in the world or have won in last 12 months, he hasn't done either as im sure you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Phil won't like how he is playing alongside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement