Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

HighLine wrote:
    "Exception: A player may not take relief under this Rule if (a) interference by anything other than an immovable obstruction makes the stroke clearly impracticable or (b) interference by an immovable obstruction would occur only through use of a clearly unreasonable stroke or an unnecessarily abnormal stance, swing or direction of play."

And that to me is where the official bottled it.

Anyway Karma kicking in on the 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

WHIP IT! wrote:
    I'm really placing my faith in the golfing Gods to 'level things up' karma-wise with Mickelson tonight.

So far so good! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Anyway I'll move onto tonight's golf. Could be a cracker. That final group could produce fireworks.

Have to say Iv loved this course. Has produced eagles to triple bogies. Isn't that long but is very tight so actually punishes poor tee shots which is good to see unlike in most us events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Jesus it must be painful playing with Phil in this form. Taking an age to get through holes. You'd imagine he'd be on the clock fairly sharpish if this was in Europe.

Should be a cracker from this final group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

First Up wrote: »
    And that to me is where the official bottled it.

So was there no chance of a swing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Come on Big Deej!

Do you think that playing a course like this is frustrating for the pros? Kinda like us amateurs turning up and playing Clontarf which forces you to play a differnent game ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Rory doesn't look good so far. Already losing ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Do you think that playing a course like this is frustrating for the pros? Kinda like us amateurs turning up and playing Clontarf which forces you to play a differnent game ?

Nope, pros can adapt more readily to any conditions and don't generally get frustrated by anything, but the ones that do are usually the ones who don't win that week.
    On the other hand you do have some amateurs who are too precious to play in at a "down market club" and that's what sets the pros and amateurs apart.

• Advertisement

Nope, pros can adapt more readily to any conditions and don't generally get frustrated by anything, but the ones that do are usually the ones who don't win that week.
    On the other hand you do have some amateurs who are too precious to play in at a "down market club" and that's what sets the pros and amateurs apart.

I think you took me out of context, I never called Clontarf downmarket, it's a nice course but like corballis it's quite unorthodox in the chance to get to hit driver.

I think you took me out of context, I never called Clontarf downmarket, it's a nice course but like corballis it's quite unorthodox in the chance to get to hit driver.

Might come as a surprise to you, but there's more to golf than just smashing driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

no birdies in ten holes for mcilroy, some of which are very driveable. Hope hes not running out of puff. lack of golf may hurt him here. Hopefully not....

Might come as a surprise to you, but there's more to golf than just smashing driver.

Give over pal

For anyone who thinks Phil and Tiger get more "favorable" rulings, you are wrong and just highlighting your own ignorance of the rules.
    The reason they appear to get more "favorable" rulings is because they (and any pro worth their salt or any golfer for that matter ) knows and understands the rules and are in a position in the first place to look for a ruling.
    To the uninitiated it may then look like an unfair advantage when it's simply a case of that onlooker not understanding the rule/s, the answer, well educate yourself on the rules.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Give over pal

Give over yourself horse!

Give over yourself horse!

Who you calling horse, mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is not like clontarf . No sprinkler heads at trees in clontarf.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Who you calling horse, mate

I'm not your mate, matey!

For anyone who thinks Phil and Tiger get more "favorable" rulings, you are wrong and just highlighting your own ignorance of the rules.
    The reason they appear to get more "favorable" rulings is because they (and any pro worth their salt or any golfer for that matter ) knows and understands the rules and are in a position in the first place to look for a ruling.
    To the uninitiated it may then look like an unfair advantage when it's simply a case of that onlooker not understanding the rule/s, the answer, well educate yourself on the rules.

not having this at all.

Did you see the three rulings yesterday? like watch them live?

• Advertisement

not having this at all.

Did you see the three rulings yesterday? like watch them live?

Good for you Johnny, write the PGA tour a strongly worded letter and give them like a piece of your mind.

Hopefully that putt can get Rory going

So was there no chance of a swing ?

From what I could see, none whatever but the commentators weren't going near it - just raving about how creative Phil is.

On last night's evidence, I know the sprinkler head rule better than the rules official who dealt with it.

From what I could see, none whatever but the commentators weren't going near it - just raving about how creative Phil is.

Yes but you weren't playing the shot, Phil was and if Phil says he had a shot, then he had a shot and you have to accept that at face value, if you don't accept, you are incorrectly calling him a cheat.

On last night's evidence, I know the sprinkler head rule better than the rules official who dealt with it.

It was slugger white who was dealing with it directly and he dealt with it in a thorough and correct manner.

Yes but you weren't playing the shot, Phil was and if Phil says he had a shot, then he had a shot and you have to accept that at face value, if you don't accept, you are incorrectly calling him a cheat.

I didn't call him a cheat. I called him a bully.

If Phil said he had a shot, then the official's job was to ask him to demonstrate it. I saw no sign of that happening.

I have sympathy for the official - dealing with a star player live on TV. I don't know how senior or experienced he is but I strongly suspect that someone like Paramor wouldn't have caved so easily.

It was slugger white who was dealing with it directly and he dealt with it in a thorough and correct manner.

I'll await a detailed account of what happened before commenting further.

They should have events in central America and south America more.

Best event in a while.

As it pisses out of the heavens in Dublin - we now know Mexico can look like Clontarf, but from local knowledge the sprinkler head seemed as realistic as the grassy knoll - the course is not about distance - but Dustin just hit a ball there about 34O yards with backspin on the driver. But there is more to golf than distance we know from our horse here who is not a mate.

Phil must be dropping in on Trump in Mar-a-Lago and Donald said - Phil when you go to Mexico , you show them sombrero wearing rapists - that rules , **** the rules.

Meanwhile - Lee is falling apart again and it is 4 weeks to the masters and the crazies are on the way for the best thread on boards at Augusta National from your living room.

• Advertisement

I didn't call him a cheat. I called him a bully.

If Phil said he had a shot, then the official's job was to ask him to demonstrate it. I saw no sign of that happening.

I have sympathy for the official - dealing with a star player live on TV. I don't know how senior or experienced he is but I strongly suspect that someone like Paramor wouldn't have caved so easily.

Slugger eats Paramor for breakfast, he was thorough in his approach.

Lads ye all need to chill out, ye are starting to sound like the English after they got schooled by the Conor O' Shea last Sunday, just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it incorrect or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Lads ye all need to chill out, ye are starting to sound like the English after they got schooled by the Conor O' Shea last Sunday, just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it incorrect or wrong.

Take your own advice, you are being very condescending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Meanwhile - Lee is falling apart again and it is 4 weeks to the masters and the crazies are on the way for the best thread on boards at Augusta National from your living room.

On the way???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Good for you Johnny, write the PGA tour a strongly worded letter and give them like a piece of your mind.
    Attack the post not the poster. Thanks

Good one from Feherty - hardest shot in golf - 50 yard bunker shot
    Feherty - well he has a 20 one now -

lol

I agree with this I think

The rules are too complicated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I watched it live. No way would Paramor have fallen for Phils moral persuasions. Slugger wilted like a flower.

I don't get the thinking behind the proposed new rule about taking a drop. What is it supposed to achieve? Why not just go the whole hog and allow players place in all circumstances where we used to drop?

First Up wrote:

And from all the accounts I have seen, the official bottled it. He took Mickelson "at his word" (a) that he would be standing on a sprinkler and (b) had a swing.

That's not thorough or correct, or protecting the field. Its bottling it on live TV.

Such a great course this....and we'll be seeing the WGC Mexico for the next 6 years!

Such a great course this....and we'll be seeing the WGC Mexico for the next 6 years!

Was thinking the other day - they need to be more imaginative with events.

This has done it for me.

most of them US pga events are seriously dull

• Advertisement

Cracking course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Was thinking the other day - they need to be more imaginative with events.

This has done it for me.

most of them US pga events are seriously dull

Even the courses look the same.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Cracking course

Is - and America has amazing courses all over it , but they tend to pick fairly dull ones in regular events. I guess like all events - whoever puts up money.

Jaysus - don't tell me it is going to rain

After sprinkler gate - I couldn't handle that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

It's a shame tonight's golf isn't that exciting... was a very promising leaderboard. Rory out of it now - never got it going. Easy win for DJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

DJ putting the hammer down. Very impressive play from him once again. He has everything. Great ball striking with his length, has greatly improved his wedge play and now his short game and putting is very consistent. Could be very hard to shift from the number one position.

to be fair to the USGA, they do give the US Open to some very interesting tracks with mixed results. This year, for example, its in Erin Hills. Not sure the Open would be played at a course thats 13 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aurora1966

"Sooner or later its going to catch up with you", well said from Tony Kostas on Phil Mickelson, he is spraying it around again, karma for his free drops and manipulation

to be fair to the USGA, they do give the US Open to some very interesting tracks with mixed results. This year, for example, its in Erin Hills. Not sure the Open would be played at a course thats 13 years old.

Yes and The US open and USPGA are events I enjoy more due to course variety.

Yes and The US open and USPGA are events I enjoy more due to course variety.

I have a lot more time and respect for the USGA than the PGA.

The former is the backbone of golf in the US; the latter is a corporate cartel and racket.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement