Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Great stuff..only tuned in for the last few holes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That's a ridiculous drive from Johnson on the first playoff hole :O

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

That's an absolutely absurd line from DJ. 310 yards of carry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Pure power followed by a finesse wedge shot. DJ is a tough man to match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

An idea of the different 18th hole they just played

https://twitter.com/BrendanPorath/status/901930453426466816

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Delighted for DJ......... Great display by both players but I'm happy that DJ was able to smoke that drive on the first playoff hole to overpower Spieth. Some distance between the two for their second shots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

After Jordan's putt on 17 and DJ's drive on 18 I wouldn't have given a fig-leaf for DJ's chances. Serious clutch.

Curious point from Poults.... Could we not say that Spieth's putting is an advantage over the field too?

https://twitter.com/IanJamesPoulter/status/901940319280824320

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

HighLine wrote: »
    Curious point from Poults.... Could we not say that Spieth's putting is an advantage over the field too?

He still had to hit the drive, and you could argue he showed as much skill, if not more with his wedge shot and his putt first tie on 18. The power comes naturally the touch with practice, he deserves a lot of credit for the improvement to his short game over the last few years

Poults would have been better saying nothing, he just comes across as bitter here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

The design of this hole is exactly what you would like to see in courses. It doesn't have to be every hole but from time to time a risk reward hole that has such a difference if you are brave and a big hitter is great to see.

Spieth has a great advantage on the whole field due to his remarkable skill with the putter so its quite fair that another player can take advantage of a different skill when that involves nailing a bomber drive on a brave line to reduce that approach shot to a wedge.
    The wedge still needed to be hit well and its a testament to DJ's game that he hit it with such aplomb.
    Other bombers out there should be taking heed and working on their short game. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Sign of things to come.
    American Walker Cup player walks the full length of a 156 yard par 3 and back to tee again to check out pin position before deciding on club.
    Jesus wept.

Sidenote: match play format needs to be brought in so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Sign of things to come.
    American Walker Cup player walks the full length of a 156 yard par 3 and back to tee again to check out pin position before deciding on club.
    Jesus wept.

Sidenote: match play format needs to be brought in so much more.

No pin positions given to the caddies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

No pin positions given to the caddies?

They had the pin in commentary so presumably reading from the "pin card". Even still he walked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Sign of things to come. American Walker Cup player walks the full length of a 156 yard par 3 and back to tee again to check out pin position before deciding on club. Jesus wept.

I hope he eagled it!!

Ace for JDay :D

• Advertisement

I love the man but what the **** is Sergio up to.

It's a pointless drop anyway. He just needs a par. Take the penalt and just up and down ffs

Looks the the perennial bottler might be about to win again!!

Casey playing superbly... so far. Still Sunday to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Am I the only one finding this Tour Championship very boring this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

vienne86 wrote: »

Me too. I didn't even bother watching yesterday's round. I may tune in for the final 9 holes tonight. Then again, I may not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

vienne86 wrote: »

last night was the first time I tuned in. With Spieth out of the running, I just dont have much interest in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surely Casey will blow it as usual?
    Will be interesting but not sure if I'll watch much of it, it's just not the same without the Irish interest.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Actually finding the whole golf circuit a bit nothing at the minute (hence why I cancelled my sky sports sub) and even watch that tribly tour !!

Pretty much going to be nothing for the next 5 months or so. (Presidents cup may be interesting but doubt it.)

Would like to see casey win tonight though

The Casey bottler job might be about to start and things are getting a little interesting.

Speith with the eagle on the 10th

The tournament no one wants to win it seems...

Crazy this - they are trying to get their .1 back!!

Ah Paul Casey... he just never fails to make a balls of it!!

Impressive play from Xander S but looks like JT could be the man to beat.

Well I don't much like Casey, so I'm not sorry to see him mess up yet another final round....but I didn't expect him to have such a shocker. The shot in the water on 15 seals it.

It's for Thomas to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Actually finding the whole golf circuit a bit nothing at the minute (hence why I cancelled my sky sports sub) and even watch that tribly tour !!

Pretty much going to be nothing for the next 5 months or so. (Presidents cup may be interesting but doubt it.)

Would like to see casey win tonight though

There is just too much golf, and too many 'big' tournaments. The well is bone dry by the end of the last major, maybe before it.

There are a lot of new young golfers who are very very good, but somehow they seem to me to be lacking in a bit of colour. I think they are good......but boringly so.

Fairly entertaining press conference after the President's Cup yesterday. I'd say there were a few alcoholic beverages consumed... mostly by DJ :D

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1yNGamZEazEGj

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Good to see Sang Moon Bae back on tour after 2 years military service in Korea. He was a decent player . Be interesting to see how he gets on

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/tour-news/safeway-open-venue-silverado-emblazed-cali-wildfires-143521

Last weekend's venue engulfed in flames the day after play finished.

Looks like DJ made an almighty f*** up of the HSBC, shoots 77 to let Rose win from eight back. Thought those days were behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Looks like DJ made an almighty f*** up of the HSBC, shoots 77 to let Rose win from eight back. Thought those days were behind him.

Anyone can have a bad day....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Paul Dunne also had a very bad day.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Here hoping seamus power has a good day.

Anyone know is there is anywhere to watch the golf this evening? Leaders teeing off shortly and sky not showing till half 6

redzerdrog wrote: »

Anyone know is there is anywhere to watch the golf this evening? Leaders teeing off shortly and sky not showing till half 6

Sky is about the only place unless you have Golf Channel or CBS or whatever American channel is showing it. Let's hope he bucks his usual Sunday trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

redzerdrog wrote: »

Not having a good day either. +2 after 11 and no birdies all day. Well down the field now. Real pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Really like this course at Mayakoba. Fowler is far too good to only have 4 wins.

I have watched far too much golf today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I know we don't talk about the Schwab Cup that often (if ever) but the way they structured it this year is a joke.
    Sutherland wins the final playoff tournament, his only victory of the year (and only win ever on the Champions Tour) and wins the Schwab Cup.
    Langer won 7 times in the year and that includes two of the three playoffs, three of the five majors and does not win the "year long" Schwab Cup...
    Makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

A bit mad looking alright. Wonder is that his normal swing or was his shaping a shot - looks like a high fade shot he hit.

A bit mad looking alright. Wonder is that his normal swing or was his shaping a shot - looks like a high fade shot he hit.

Looks like he is about to score a point at Croke Park. Hopefully just a warm up drill of some sort.

He is so flat now, his left arm is parallel to his shoulder at the top, wonder if he'll struggle with spin with his lower irons and wedges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Bizarre one. Aphibarnrat sitting at 51 In the world. If he played in the tourney & finished top 10 he'd jump to 50th & qualify for masters. But by not playing at all he'd automatically jump to 49th & qualify anyway. So he withdraws with a mystery bad back. Guess I don't blame him to be honest!

http://www.golfpunkhq.com/news/article/kiradech-aphibarnrat-with-draws-from-tournament-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭paulos53

An 8 shot win for Dustin Johnson last night.

No wonder when he is hitting a drive to a 433 yard par 4 within inches of the hole

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/950291091349151744

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Distance is getting a bit ridiculous on tour imo..

benny79 wrote: »

Downhill and downwind but that's still crazy. I'm guessing there will be the most amount ever of hitting just a driver and wedge onto the 13th at Augusta this year.
    I know Bubba did it a few years ago but I hate seeing one of the greatest holes in golf made to look so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

benny79 wrote: »

I've stopped being impressed these days with the distance some of these guys are getting. All i think of now is if this continues they will render perfectly good golf courses obsolete. 400 yards is just silly.

I wonder could they design a golf ball that had diminishing returns for swing speeds in excess of 100mph. They would still get extra distance but that it wouldn't be a linear increase in relation to swingspeed after 100mph.

Chamblee thinks DJ's drive last night was the greatest shot ever hit in golf. Think he might have been on the sauce.

https://twitter.com/chambleebrandel/status/950308337823830017

https://twitter.com/chambleebrandel/status/950390578113429505

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement