Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Watching the highlights on Sky.......they just showed DJ's drive.

My wife's response was "Oh fúck off......" :D

Followed by an acknowledgement that that's why he was playing in Hawaii at the weekend and we were freezing our arses off on an Irish course.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Good week for Seamus Power over at La Quinta. His T11 finish last night gave him a cheque for $135,700 and took him from 134 to 90 in the FedEx Cup standings.

Jon Rahm took the win at the 4th extra hole of a playoff against Landry. The win jumps him over Spieth to No 2 in the world rankings now.

On a slow Thursday evening in January, it's nice to have the Tiger back on the screen with the superb scenery at Torrey Pines thrown in as well. Sluggish start so far from Eldrick, but at least he looks to be moving well.

Tasty field this week, with Harrington, Lowry and Seamus Power all in action, as well as the likes of Rose, Rahm, Phil, Rickie Fowler, Matsuyama..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Camera angles are terrible - hard on the eyes.

Tea-totaller drinking game idea while watching the golf - Spot the Irishman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Watching the golf last night they mentioned that if John Rahm wins this weekend that he will become world #1. He is a fabulous young player and in great form but doesn't feel right to me. He only won his first pro tournament last year?

I'd rank DJ, Spieth, Rory and possibly Matsuyama ahead of him.

Am I alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Watching the golf last night they mentioned that if John Rahm wins this weekend that he will become world #1. He is a fabulous young player and in great form but doesn't feel right to me. He only won his first pro tournament last year?

I'd rank DJ, Spieth, Rory and possibly Matsuyama ahead of him.

Am I alone?

It is just the way the rankings work, he is picking up points every week the way the system works, once he gets to 30 plus events played it’ll start to even out where his big finishes at start of last year will drop off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

AGC wrote: »
    It is just the way the rankings work, he is picking up points every week the way the system works, once he gets to 30 plus events played it’ll start to even out where his big finishes at start of last year will drop off.

I thought he couldn't get any more points this week, as he is defending champion. Back to -3 for the week anyway. Next week is the mad Arizona tournament, Rahm went to college at Arizona State

I thought he couldn't get any more points this week, as he is defending champion. Back to -3 for the week anyway. Next week is the mad Arizona tournament, Rahm went to college at Arizona State

That's the tennis system where it's a rolling 1 year period. Golf is based on a 2 year cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

So Tiger flays it miles right off the tee. Fairway camera shows it disappearing down the bank into god knows what. Commentator says that could be gone (which is what it looked like.)

Then a long gap while they show other players and then we find Tiger 15 yards off the fairway. No gallery on that side of the hole.

Am I the only one who finds this curious? (He bogeyed the hole anyway.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Where on Earth did Sky Sports find this coach guy Nick who’s in the studio?

He’s a complete spoofer and very annoying!

Where on Earth did Sky Sports find this coach guy Nick who’s in the studio?

He’s a complete spoofer and very annoying!

He is absolutely brutal.

Came up as ‘consultant to Paul McGinley at Ryder Cup’ the other day. Doesn’t help they are going back to the studio every few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I was wondering who he was alright. Never seen him on before. Hopefully won't ever again, he's awful.

Watched him last night OK, wasn't impressed, spoofer should have been his title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

First Up wrote: »
    So Tiger flays it miles right off the tee. Fairway camera shows it disappearing down the bank into god knows what. Commentator says that could be gone (which is what it looked like.)

Then a long gap while they show other players and then we find Tiger 15 yards off the fairway. No gallery on that side of the hole.

Please stop. This is ridiculous.

Anyway I saw that live and I'm pretty sure one of the 4 marshalls that were on that side made a signal that the ball was there. I think it was actually up further than the camera was pointing.

Jesus, these boys are incredibly slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Clique

Ridiculous stuff by Holmes, if Noren doesn't win this we know who he is gunning for on Sunday at the Ryder Cup!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

My god, J B hit the ball. Noren won’t thank him for that, so inconsiderate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Four minutes and 10 seconds for JB to hit that shot. No words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

He hit a woeful shot in the end, goes to show its best to make a quick rational desicion and pull the trigger and walk after it.

Some playoff, Day and Noren back tomorrow, think it resumes at 4:00

ForeRight wrote: »

Please stop. This is ridiculous.

Anyway I saw that live and I'm pretty sure one of the 4 marshalls that were on that side made a signal that the ball was there. I think it was actually up further than the camera was pointing.
    Its a perfectly valid question. The shot tracker showed it going miles right. We'd had coverage of Tiger every time he scratched his nose; then he hits a bad shot that the commentators say could be in big trouble and for the first time since Thursday we see or hear nothing about him for ten minutes. Next time we see him, he's off the fairway but nowhere near where the shot tracker had it and no comment from the commentator - complete silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Its a perfectly valid question. The shot tracker showed it going miles right. We'd had coverage of Tiger every time he scratched his nose; then he hits a bad shot that the commentators say could be in big trouble and for the first time since Thursday we see or hear nothing about him for ten minutes. Next time we see him, he's off the fairway but nowhere near where the shot tracker had it and no comment from the commentator - complete silence.

And what about the 4 marshalls who were on that side were the ball wa heading?
    Did they turn the other way while Tiger dropped a ball from the hole in his pocket down his trouser leg?
    I know you dislike tiger but come on man you're normally such a rational and knowledgable poster on here but what you are alluding too is tin foil hat carry on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

ForeRight wrote:
    And what about the 4 marshalls who were on that side were the ball wa heading? Did they turn the other way while Tiger dropped a ball from the hole in his pocket down his trouser leg? I know you dislike tiger but come on man you're normally such a rational and knowledgable poster on here but what you are alluding too is tin foil hat carry on here.

They didn't turn the other way - they actually carry spare tiger balls with them to drop.. all the Marshalls carry them.

It's a conspiracy - has shot tracker not known to wrong before..

Yeah yeah. Lads I marshalled at tournaments at my club when I lived in the US when Tiger was in his hey day. You don't know the half it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

First Up wrote:

Well shot tracker was definitely wrong on one of norens drives in the play off, it showed it going down the right side of 18 and bouncing on the extreme right of the fairway but it actually bounced on the extreme left of the fairway and ended up in the left rough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

First Up wrote:
    Yeah yeah. Lads I marshalled at tournaments at my club when I lived in the US when Tiger was in his hey day. You don't know the half it.

Tell us some stories so, what tournaments they were at etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Anyway, I hope Sky are showing the playoff today.

First Up wrote:

Well shot tracker was definitely wrong on one of norens drives in the play off, it showed it going down the right side of 18 and bouncing on the extreme right of the fairway but it actually bounced on the extreme left of the fairway and ended up in the left rough
    Yep, that's possible and the Tiger incident could be perfectly innocent. I was however struck by the sudden lack of coverage of him - and the absence of any attempt by the commentators to reconcile his situation with their comments after he hit the shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

So you reckon that there is a cheating conspiracy between the PGA/players/TV companies that allows Tiger to drop balls just off the fairway when he loses one?

That is a serious question I am just wondering what level of delusion we are talking about here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

And the thousands of fans following Tiger didn't notice anything amiss either? Reign it in

Bizarre stuff in here this morning lads.

There is no doubt Tiger has received the benefit of an aul leather wedge every now and again, that does not make it his fault, it is no different to it happening to any other players which it has.

It's obvious that the PGA Tour are liaising with the marshals on the course and they dropped a ball for Tiger. They have also instructed the cameramen to not film it. They also paid off any spectators on the opposite side of the fairway who might have seen the ploy.
    It was very important for their ratings that Tiger would not make a bogey on his 16th hole of the last day of the tournament and it doesn't matter that he was only fighting for 20th place.

Bizarre stuff in here this morning lads.
    Try marshalling at an event with Tiger in it and see how bizarre it is. He attracts galleries unlike any other and some aren't too bothered about the rules of golf. I've seen balls magically re-appear from bushes an trees more than once.

Call it a conspiracy if you like but if you are confronted by a bunch of boozed up bozos with hats on backwards it can be hard to call it out. And TV companies most definitely turn a blind eye to stuff.

That's all in addition to some pretty amazing rulings, such as getting a free drop after losing a ball in a maintenance yard or enlisting the gallery to shove a boulder out of your way.

The really curious part of yesterday was how the TV coverage stopped suddenly after previous saturation coverage. And they never even mentioned it even though he had a playable ball they had previously thought was OB.

Try marshalling at an event with Tiger in it and see how bizarre it is. He attracts galleries unlike any other and some aren't too bothered about the rules of golf. I've seen balls magically re-appear from bushes an trees more than once.

Call it a conspiracy if you like but if you are confronted by a bunch of boozed up bozos with hats on backwards it can be hard to call it out. And TV companies most definitely turn a blind eye to stuff.

That's all in addition to some pretty amazing rulings, such as getting a free drop after losing a ball in a maintenance yard or enlisting the gallery to shove a boulder out of your way.

The really curious part of yesterday was how the TV coverage stopped suddenly after previous saturation coverage. And they never even mentioned it even though he had a playable ball they had previously thought was OB.

Jim Corr?

C'mon man. Surly you don't really think that everyone is in on it, Marshalls, TV company,fans and The PGA? And don't forget his fellow competitors would also have to be in on it too. Crazy talk.

C'mon man. Surly you don't really think that everyone is in on it, Marshalls, TV company,fans and The PGA? And don't forget his fellow competitors would also have to be in on it too. Crazy talk.
    Not an organised "conspiracy"; just a combination of unruly galleries, intimidated officials and TV companies making too much money to worry about the finer points.

Marshalls are not PGA staff. They are club members who volunteer and are of varying quality (and ethics.) No club minds if Tiger wins there. Good for business.

This is 9/11 level conspiracy stuff. Way too many groups and individuals have to be involved.

Why haven't any other golfers come out about this if it's that obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Tiger lives in Florida and the 9/11 hijackers went to flightschool in Florida; why does nobody focus on this aspect of 9/11? Where was Tiger on the morning of 9/11? My theory is that Butch Harmon found out about Tiger’s involvement and that’s why they parted ways.

• Advertisement

This is 9/11 level conspiracy stuff. Way too many groups and individuals have to be involved.

Why haven't any other golfers come out about this if it's that obvious?
    No it isn't and its not impossible that other players benefit from "favours" from time to time. It has just been a more common occurence with Tiger.

And other players do talk about it - but not in public, for pretty obvious reasons. Everyone has made money from Tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

A lot of criticism of JB Holmes by his fellow golfers over his 4 minute 10 second wait to hit his second shot on the 18th hole yesterday in Torrey Pines. You could see Alex Noren, his playing partner, seething with it and the fans quite rightly giving the Kentucky man a hard time.

Personally he should be docked shots over this pathetic carry-on. Giving him fines is no good for these mega rich pampered athletes. Yet he arrogantly showed no sign of remorse post-round.

Finally where were the tour officials and referee in all this? Golf once again shooting themselves on the foot with its total lack of policing of slow play. Wake up the powers that be in the PGA Tour and realize that the issue of slow play is destroying golf once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

A lot of criticism of JB Holmes by his fellow golfers over his 4 minute 10 second wait to hit his second shot on the 18th hole yesterday in Torrey Pines. You could see Alex Noren, his playing partner, seething with it and the fans quite rightly giving the Kentucky man a hard time.

Personally he should be docked shots over this pathetic carry-on. Giving him fines is no good for these mega rich pampered athletes. Yet he arrogantly showed no sign of remorse post-round.

Finally where were the tour officials and referee in all this? Golf once again shooting themselves on the foot with its total lack of policing of slow play. Wake up the powers that be in the PGA Tour and realize that the issue of slow play is destroying golf once and for all.

I’d wager a bet if it was a now mainstream pga player who’s probably not American they would be on their case.

It was a disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

Golf will be a better game to watch when some form of a shot clock is introduced. Over 4 minutes for a shot like his was ridiculous.

I was watching that episode - it showed shocking disrespect for his playing partners.

I know it's happened before but it's a bit of a strange one not allowing spectators into the course today. Gates should be opened up to the public for free and make sure there are enough security personnel/marshals.

https://twitter.com/FarmersInsOpen/status/957847790738063360

I see the playoff is on Sky from 4 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Anyone know what time the play off is on here in Ireland. All this eastern western talk. Also is it on any channel. It's hard to find any info on it. Thanks. Come on Noren

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

vienne86 wrote: »
    I see the playoff is on Sky from 4 p.m.

Snap. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

I tweeted @pgatour to see are they going to act on JB holmes's 4 min's to take a shot! :D or have they not got the balls etc waiting on a response... :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement