Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Bubba with his third win at the Genesis. He really has the invisible touch at that tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Cantlay has had his injury struggles and is a supremely talented golfer but by god is he tough to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Has Bubba officially won though? Don't think Cantlay and Na have completed the front 9 yet so they might still have a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Good to see Bubba or (should that be Blubba) back in action again. Very emotional guy but super talented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

backspin. wrote: »
    Good to see Bubba or (should that be Blubba) back in action again. Very emotional guy but super talented.

Very impressive display from Bubba, thoroughly deserved. Felt his holed bunker shot on 14 was very lucky and it opened up a lead that never looked in danger.

Very disappointed by GMac, just disappeared after a steady start.

And finally, big Phil. Third week in a row that he was contending. A good outside bet for another green jacket. The man is a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Found the 3rd round far more enjoyable, quicker pace and less dead air time between shots. Fair play to Bubba, great advertisement for ProV1! All in all it is a very entertaining tournament especially compared to the ProAm the week before, Riviera is a great course, great to see the guys forced to make shots

Quintis wrote: »
    Fair play to Bubba, great advertisement for ProV1!

That's a strange response to a player winning a tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

ForeRight wrote: »
    That's a strange response to a player winning a tournament

It's a fair response when you consider below.
    HighLine wrote: »
    Wonder how happy the guys at Volvik will be to see Bubba possibly winning this tournament. He uses their balls in 2017 and has his worst year on tour and in 2018 returns to Titleist and is off to a good start.

It's a fair response when you consider below.

Yes that's fair enough. I actually missed that news to be honest.
    No wonder tgat comment seemed so out of place to me.

Yes that's fair enough. I actually missed that news to be honest.
    No wonder tgat comment seemed so out of place to me.

You can point to a lot of changes that may have contributed to Bubbas improvement this weekend but you can certainly pinpoint his drop in the world rankings to to move to Volvik

• Advertisement

Quintis wrote: »
    You can point to a lot of changes that may have contributed to Bubbas improvement this weekend but you can certainly pinpoint his drop in the world rankings to to move to Volvik

I was putting it down to his dramatic weight loss to be honest. Duffner did the same in terms of body composition and dropped off the scene.

On commentary they mentioned bubba said he had a mysterious illness last year.

Always liked Riviera, you'd wonder why some of the courses on tour are never used for majors.

Why not use the likes of Riviera instead of brand new courses like Erin Hills and Chambers Bay?

Edit: I see that it has hosted the PGA in '95 and '83 and the US Open in 1948

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

NDWC wrote: »
    Always liked Riviera, you'd wonder why some of the courses on tour are never used for majors.

Why not use the likes of Riviera instead of brand new courses like Erin Hills and Chambers Bay?

Edit: I see that it has hosted the PGA in '95 and '83 and the US Open in 1948
    Much too short for the modern game.

First Up wrote: »

It was by no means a birdie fest though so if they tightened the fairways even more and let the rough grow up would it not be a serious test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

I would not be too downhearted if you are a Graeme McDowell fan despite last night's disappointing back nine. I really think that PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens where this week's Honda Classic is to be played is an ideal venue for GMac. His ball striking was excellent in rounds 1 to 3 in the Genesis and with windy conditions expected in Florida this week, I think that the Ulsterman has a huge chance to win this week. Obviously Tiger, Rickie, Rory and co will grab all the headlines. Should be a great week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

First Up wrote: »

It was by no means a birdie fest though so if they tightened the fairways even more and let the rough grow up would it not be a serious test?
    And the greens are also pretty devious. It doesn't suit the big hitters but maybe the USGA wouldn't mind.

They would need to maybe toughen up the first a bit too, would like to see the 10th made a bit easier too, doesn't seem possible to hold the green from the tee

I would not be too downhearted if you are a Graeme McDowell fan despite last night's disappointing back nine. I really think that PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens where this week's Honda Classic is to be played is an ideal venue for GMac. His ball striking was excellent in rounds 1 to 3 in the Genesis and with windy conditions expected in Florida this week, I think that the Ulsterman has a huge chance to win this week. Obviously Tiger, Rickie, Rory and co will grab all the headlines. Should be a great week.

Good call, he tends to go well at the Honda. Hoping for a good week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Very impressive display from Bubba, thoroughly deserved. Felt his holed bunker shot on 14 was very lucky and it opened up a lead that never looked in danger.

Yeah that was a 2 shot swing that ball hitting the pin and dropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

PGA officials must be listening to Paul Kimmage interviews.

Rory and Harrington play together first 2 days at Honda

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭liamoreilly

...As everyone knows, this is the best event of the year outside of the majors for several reasons...

1. It is in Florida, the best place for golf.
    2. Harrington won this is 2015, so obviously it's a great event!.
    3. And most importantly, I will be going to all 4 days of this again, and can't fecking wait!!!...

...I'm 50/50 whether to follow lowry or mcdowell tomorrow morning, as both tee off within 10 minutes of each other... the main reason I come is for Harrington, but he is actually with Rory so the crowds will be huge in the afternoon...
    I think it'll be something like
    Thursday morning: lowry
    Thursday afternoon: Seamus power
    Friday morning: Harrington/rory
    Friday afternoon: mcdowell.

...Then see how the weekend falls... Did I mention I can't wait!!!...

Good stuff Liam, would love to be over there to watch it. I fancy Gmac to do well this week so I'd be following him for sure. Good Irish field to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Harrington has actually won this event twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

paulie21 wrote: »
    Harrington has actually won this event twice

And his 2015 win was probably one of the most epic ever due to the commentary suplied on boards.ie of his final day was an excellent thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

jayo26 wrote: »
    And his 2015 win was probably one of the most epic ever due to the commentary suplied on boards.ie of his final day was an excellent thread.

And the fact that I pulled the car over and streamed on Sky Go just before he hit that 7 iron in the playoff!

Playing quite well, a few wayward drives but never looked in too much trouble, a good few shouts at birdies but not making the putts, still only leaving himself tap-ins as opposed to 2-3 footers this week which is something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Big mistake from Rory, trying to set up an eagle and ending up with a double bogey.

The putts just won't drop for him so he ends up pushing things and getting in trouble.

Tiger whips out the driver on the 10th and everyone (including myself) is thinking... put it away and take out your 3 wood. He then splits the fairway 361 yards down. Playing good golf in those conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Struggling to watch the PHA tour lately, only showing 3 or 4 players and even more adds. I know they are dependant on the feed they get so not Sky’s fault. It would be great to see more of the action.

Give me any of the European tour events any day, even the Trilby Tour.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Struggling to watch the PHA tour lately, only showing 3 or 4 players and even more adds. I know they are dependant on the feed they get so not Sky’s fault. It would be great to see more of the action.

Give me any of the European tour events any day, even the Trilby Tour.

Is that the normal now on Thursday Friday? I watched these days this week and its all the feature groups similar to the early coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Is that the normal now on Thursday Friday? I watched these days this week and its all the feature groups similar to the early coverage

The coverage of the feature groups from early afternoon was always a bonus before full coverage, now 'full' coverage is just 2 more feature groups in the afternoon.

This week isn't too bad because Rory and Tiger on opposite sides of the draw so half decent viewing but it will have to change to keep people engaged.

I couldn't cope watching Justin Thomas every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Just watching Tiger walking to the next hole after a birdie, fans literally screaming at him from 4-5ft away.

Really at odds with the EU tour

I much prefer watching the harder courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I much prefer watching the harder courses

There also never seems to be much debate about the bsll after tournaments like this which is always more enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

Cmon tommy fleetwood and alex noren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I must say i had a good chuckle at this.

https://twitter.com/TronCarterNLU/status/967897199379189760

I see the US Open have scrapped the Monday playoff with immediate effect.

I know a lot of people don't like the idea of it but I did enjoy the Woods-Mediate one in 2008. If one player was to have a shocker on the day though it'd be a huge anticlimax so I understand why they're getting rid.

Good decision IMO. Always hated the idea of an anti-climatic finish on the Monday on a course with very few spectators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

Good decision IMO. Always hated the idea of an anti-climatic finish on the Monday on a course with very few spectators.

Great idea but terrible spectacle like the wgc matchplay; the final round never works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Have they scrapped it for sudden death or a 4 hole playoff like the open? I think the 4 hole playoff is the best and fairest format

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

2 hole aggregate play-off followed by sudden death. Not a lot of scope for splitting them after two holes, so I suspect there could be a sudden death play-off a lot of the time. Three holes might have been a better idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just switched on the golf from Mexico, commentators mentioning Rahm was trying to get a drop for reasons unknown to them. He was in a terrible position, I think it was easy to see why he wanted a drop. Spurious calls like that deserve to be penalised, annoying seeing stuff like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Mickelson’s short game is from a different planet. He scares the hole with any chip he has.

Phil in great form this year and a victory isn’t too far away.

This tournament is turning into a cracker. Really tight and quality leaderboard

Great leaderboard alright. Phil trending nicely before Augusta. Himself and Tiger final pairing on the Sunday afternoon. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Phil :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

**** me!! Ridiculous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

You gotta take your hat off to that!!

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement