Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Kisner hacking it around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

AGC wrote: »
    He is 16/1, playing as good as anyone in world at minute and has won at Augusta twice. I wouldn’t back against him.

Bubba is probably one of the hardest golfers out there to call.

He is so emotional - he isn't a normal sort of character.

I also wouldn't use a matchplay event as a good yardstick for a stroke play event.

He has won an event this year - but I wouldn't say he is playing as good as anyone.
    His stats this season are poor and his putting stats are terrible.

Yes course form at Augusta is important. Again he is a hard man to call.

There are 10 to 20 players playing way better golf at present.

Losing - but no fore into about a 6 deep crowd.

2 arseholes in final.

same again

By the way not sure with big crowds "fore" would make difference - what are you going to do run or move into another person.

It is more manners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Bubba is probably one of the hardest golfers out there to call.

He is so emotional - he isn't a normal sort of character.

I also wouldn't use a matchplay event as a good yardstick for a stroke play event.

He has won an event this year - but I wouldn't say he is playing as good as anyone.
    His stats this season are poor and his putting stats are terrible.

Yes course form at Augusta is important. Again he is a hard man to call.

There are 10 to 20 players playing way better golf at present.

Where are there 10 to 20 players playing better than Bubba?? He won at Riveria which is considered one of best courses on tour, 9th in Mexico and about to win here where he is ripping the driver and his putting is looking solid again.

Add to the fact that he has won twice around Augusta and that he can shape the ball easily both ways, he will certainly be one of the main favorites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

same again

By the way not sure with big crowds "fore" would make difference - what are you going to do run or move into another person.

It is more manners
    Cover your head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

He is 16/1, playing as good as anyone in world at minute and has won at Augusta twice. I wouldn’t back against him.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a great chance. I just don't think there is any chance he will be the favorite. He would probably need to win next week as well to have a chance of starting favorite

First Up wrote: »
    Cover your head?

yes - I know , but someone is going to get hit and you could move to a place you end up getting hit.

Covering your head is grand - but we all know that is very limited what you can do with that - on a course I'm behind my bag if possible.

Yes look - it should be shouted - but in big big galleries there are risks with it too - pushing, shoving, panic. Also at a big event - you wouldn't have a notion what hole , player , who the fore is for.

Look "fore" should be shouted , but I think the effectiveness of it is limited when people go on about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Wish Noren had made final - it would hve been better

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Hopefully Bubba doesn’t win another Major ever again...an utterly reprehensible character.

• Advertisement

Where are there 10 to 20 players playing better than Bubba?? He won at Riveria which is considered one of best courses on tour, 9th in Mexico and about to win here where he is ripping the driver and his putting is looking solid again.

Add to the fact that he has won twice around Augusta and that he can shape the ball easily both ways, he will certainly be one of the main favorites.

His putting stat this season is 143 rd - that is terrible and you wouldn't have a hope at Augusta like that.
    He is 24th in top 10s.
    He is 53rd in scoring average.

It is fairly straightforward that there are 10 to 20 player + playing better than him.

I'm not ignoring the fact that he has won there and is an incredibly emotional streaky player.

But there are a serious number of players - playing way better than Bubba at present.

The top guys are 1 to 1.5 shots a round ahead of Bubba at present- that is a lot per round.

Cover your head?

yes - I know , but someone is going to get hit and you could move to a place you end up getting hit.

Covering your head is grand - but we all know that is very limited what you can do with that - on a course I'm behind my bag if possible.

Yes look - it should be shouted - but in big big galleries there are risks with it too - pushing, shoving, panic. Also at a big event - you wouldn't have a notion what hole , player , who the fore is for.

Look "fore" should be shouted , but I think the effectiveness of it is limited when people go on about it.
    After a shout of "fore" you have about 5 seconds at most and even if you could move, you don't know which way. All anyone can do is reduce the risk of a head injury by covering up. A hit on the head can be fatal. A proper shout allows people defend against that and it is the absolute minimum of what is needed.

I wouldn't bother with fines or even penalty shots. I'd suggest criminal prosecutions.

After a shout of "fore" you have about 5 seconds at most and even if you could move, you don't know which way. All anyone can do is reduce the risk of a head injury by covering up. A hit on the head can be fatal. A proper shout allows people defend against that and it is the absolute minimum of what is needed.

I wouldn't bother with fines or even penalty shots. I'd suggest criminal prosecutions.

Well for something that is not even enforced at all at present - a criminal prosecution is a big jump :D

Well for something that is not even enforced at all at present - a criminal prosecution is a big jump :D
    It might focus a few minds.

It might focus a few minds.

"free the golf fore".

The course looks very very easy.

Not if you are 6 down it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Its a shotmakers course. Ideal for a Comanche like bubba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Two matches at the end were so one-sided. The semi-final between Noren and Kisner was fantastic, they both went around -7.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Two matches at the end were so one-sided. The semi-final between Noren and Kisner was fantastic, they both went around -7.

It was a great match alright. I thought they said in the coverage it was -5 for both? I must have picked it up wrong.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Bubba doesn’t win another Major ever again...an utterly reprehensible character.

Having seen a piece during this week about him at his hometown I’d disagree.

He is a blubbering mess but seems a decent bloke to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

after he won his first Masters he acted out a bit at an event in France, didn't read up on it but he came across pretty badly. Could never warm to him as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Just on posts above got me thinking. If a golfer sent a ball into the crowd and nobody shouted fore, hit someone on the head and they died would they get done for manslaughter?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    after he won his first Masters he acted out a bit at an event in France, didn't read up on it but he came across pretty badly. Could never warm to him as a result.

Yeah he went on a rant about the stewards and that was bad alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I like Bubba, obv don't know him personally but I'd be a fan of his game and persona. Sure he might not shout fore but most of the yanks don't seem to bother, it should be clamped down on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

benny79 wrote: »
    Just on posts above got me thinking. If a golfer sent a ball into the crowd and nobody shouted fore, hit someone on the head and they died would they get done for manslaughter?

On the civil side of things I think there's something in the small print on the back of your ticket waiving any rights you might have for being hit with a ball etc.

Not sure if a criminal conviction would be pursued by the police, I guess it would depend on what state it was in maybe.

Yeah he went on a rant about the stewards and that was bad alright.

Didn't he refer to the Eiffel Tower as "the big tower" and the Louvre as "the building that starts with an L" ? Something like that anyway, didn't come across very well, but I'd give him a pass on those if he started shouting fore !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Poor performance from the European players. Does not bode well for the Ryder Cup.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Poor performance from the European players. Does not bode well for the Ryder Cup.

I wouldn't read too much into it tbh. The Ryder Cup is a completely different animal and is 6 months away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Russman wrote: »
    Didn't he refer to the Eiffel Tower as "the big tower" and the Louvre as "the building that starts with an L" ? Something like that anyway, didn't come across very well, but I'd give him a pass on those if he started shouting fore !

Fairly sure he also complained about having to share a cart with another player when they were being taken back to the clubhouse during a rain delay. He came across terribly from what I recall.

Having seen a piece during this week about him at his hometown I’d disagree.

He is a blubbering mess but seems a decent bloke to me.

He comes across as totally obnoxious in my view...a typical gun-touting redneck who spends his time spoofing about God. Interestingly his fellow pros voted him the man they’d be least likely to assist if he was being beaten up in the parking lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Interestingly his fellow pros voted him the man they’d be least likely to assist if he was being beaten up in the parking lot.

The data that's is being collected and measured is interesting, but that aside, he is a bit happy gilmore. It feels like if there was a parking lot fight, bubba might be the instigator :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

He comes across as totally obnoxious in my view...a typical gun-touting redneck who spends his time spoofing about God. Interestingly his fellow pros voted him the man they’d be least likely to assist if he was being beaten up in the parking lot.

Love his or loathe him he is an outstanding player. His shot making skills are second to none. The tour could do with a few more temperamental artists like Bubba.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I agree about shouting fore, most of them could do with a refresher in that.

I'd imagine the same people who dislike Bubba for being "obnoxious" are the same who dislike Spieth for being fairly vapid off course, and criticise countless other stars for their respective shortcomings - Us ordinary folk generally look for a flaw in famous people and focus on that instead of the obvious good.

Bubba seems like the type of guy I would avoid spending a lot of time with, but as a golf fan he is an interesting character to have on tour. And above all else a fantastic golfer.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    I agree about shouting fore, most of them could do with a refresher in that.

I'd imagine the same people who dislike Bubba for being "obnoxious" are the same who dislike Spieth for being fairly vapid off course, and criticise countless other stars for their respective shortcomings - Us ordinary folk generally look for a flaw in famous people and focus on that instead of the obvious good.

Bubba seems like the type of guy I would avoid spending a lot of time with, but as a golf fan he is an interesting character to have on tour. And above all else a fantastic golfer.

No, Speith seems like a gent. Bubba seems utterly obnoxious. It is possible to think the latter without having an issue with lots of other golfers.

• Advertisement

Paddy going well

Here we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

From the Rory thread:
    PARlance wrote: »
    He's Back
    ForeRight wrote: »
    Nah Par padraig missed the cut. Hopefully next week is his week.

Great ForeSight!

Phil going fantastic - 4 birds in 5.

Has just all his own short game.

Amazing how far back in stance ball is. Forgot about no bones on bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

3 Irish in the top 10! 4 in the top 26! Not often we see that.

I'll try to enjoy it before the enevitable collapse.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    3 Irish in the top 10! 4 in the top 26! Not often we see that.

I'll try to enjoy it before the enevitable collapse.

Its very tightly bunched so I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Two shot difference between 26th and 72nd.

But they are all at the right end of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dunne top of the leader board now 1 shot clear. Great to see, hopefully he can keep it up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Some lads coming out fast in 2nd round, hopefully he can do the same later

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭liamoreilly

...When was the last time there were 4 Irish guys in the top 15 of a PGA tournament... we are 2nd highest represented behind USA ha...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Bit of a farce that Sky are showing the LPGA event until 9pm. I know it's their major but.......

HighLine wrote: »
    Bit of a farce that Sky are showing the LPGA event until 9pm. I know it's their major but.......

Unusual to not even have feature groups on the red button

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sky get their feed from the US channels and the LPGA major is live at the minute so Sky simply have to wait, been watching it all evening, some great golf on a great course in lovely blue skies, Korda has some swing

Jesus if Spieth could even get the putting going a little bit he'd be certainly leading this. 127th in strokes gained putting and only 4 off the lead. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Paul Dunne has just taken himself out of contention on the par 5 8th...Water followed by Water 😓...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Really stupid stuff from Dunne and now moves from T2 to T18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just getting to tune in now.
    Sam Ryder.... What a name for a golfer to have. Is he any relation?

Great Bird Shane

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement