Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Rory dropped shot, be a tough catch up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Put the mockers on DJ anyway. Still good stuff though, wouldn’t be heading off if I were him if he gets in even at -12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

59 for Snedeker at the Wyndham after starting with a bogey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

NDWC wrote: »

Good on him, home in 27. Nice dude, was watching an NFL game last year, and the commentator welcomed Memphis's favourite son. I was wondering who they were on about, and on comes Sned. Was very entertaining. Think that injury derailed him a bit in the last couple of years. I waste a good few quid on him every year for the British open, but was on him when he won in Canada about 4 years ago. He also shot a fantastic round in Torry Pines, in a Monday finish,think that was his last win, but he could have won the Fiji international after that. Bit of a pitch and putt course this, will probably go to -23 or 24 by Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Could have and dare I say... should have been a 57.
    Start with a bogey which he really should have gotten up and down. missed a 2 -3 footer on 17.
    had his bit of luck holing out on I think the 6th from the fairway (he didn't even realise it went in), but you make your luck in this game and he was dialled in, could have very easily holed out another 2 times, he was peppering the flag.

Anyway, this whole 59 lark, great fair play etc. But sometimes the blinkers are on with the commentators etc. Would you rather have a 59 on a par 70 or a 60 on a par 72? see the below link. 4 of those 59's are real 59's and all better than Jim's 58

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2018/08/16/shoot-score-59-58-pga-tour-history.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Was it not closer to 6 foot on 17 according to the highlights i seen last night. Definitely was a bit longer than 3 foot anyway just on observation. But still a pretty makeable putt.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Was it not closer to 6 foot on 17 according to the highlights i seen last night. Definitely was a bit longer than 3 foot anyway just on observation. But still a pretty makeable putt.

sorry, it was the 8th... his 17th

From PGA TOUR
    His approach at the eighth finished inside 3 feet. Another tap-in, right? Only this time, he missed the delicate birdie putt.

Seve OB wrote: »
    sorry, it was the 8th... his 17th

From PGA TOUR

Ya he started on the back 9. I seen it last night. It looked a bit longer than a tap in. But it was certainly close and makeable. A -9 9 holes would have been class.

maybe, but it was a tricky one, downhill with break.
    he put it nearly as far past …… he must have been watching me to much :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

59s on a Par 70 are always a little less impressive in my view. Superb golf though, and with a bogey thrown in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

59 is always impressive if the next best score on the day is 64/65, Furyk had one like that too.

Amazing its not been done on the European tour yet, but I guess like Branden Grace finally shooting sub-63 at a major, it will eventually be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Duval’s 59 always sticks out for me.

Final round to win the tournament and eagled the last over water.

RikkFlair wrote: »
    59 is always impressive if the next best score on the day is 64/65, Furyk had one like that too.

Amazing its not been done on the European tour yet, but I guess like Branden Grace finally shooting sub-63 at a major, it will eventually be done.

pretty sure Darren Clarkes 60 for (-12) on the Par 72 K club course was better than a 59 (-11)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Seve OB wrote: »
    pretty sure Darren Clarkes 60 for (-12) on the Par 72 K club course was better than a 59 (-11)

Had the pleasure of following Clarke for most of that round. Just amazing when you watch a guy so thoroughly in the zone like that. Should have got the 59 though, chance was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

I really fancy David Hearn, Harris English, Nick Taylor and Sergio to all have great final rounds today. Not to drop a load of shots or anything. Whose with me?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    I really fancy David Hearn, Harris English, Nick Taylor and Sergio to all have great final rounds today. Not to drop a load of shots or anything. Whose with me?? :D

Way to jinx Sergio anyways lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Rikand wrote: »
    Way to jinx Sergio anyways lol :D

Never used the boards jinx* in anger before. ;) Delighted for Seamus! Minor blip for Sergio. Fantastic final round for Nick Taylor too - 63 to keep his card.

*with great power comes great responsibility

That was fairly boring watch over the weekend.
    Hopefully the other tournaments have a bit more drama.

Billy Horschel trending in the right direction. Wonder could he pull off another unlikely win in this after being pretty much bang average since he won the FedEx in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

59s on a Par 70 are always a little less impressive in my view. Superb golf though, and with a bogey thrown in!

I wouldn't get too bothered with the numbers, these aren't really par 70s. They're just par 72s with a couple of holes around the 500 yard mark designated as par 4s for the tour players. They still require a 300 yard drive and 200 yard second shot. Not exactly chicken sh1t and as good as any birdie on an 'easy' par 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If anything, there’s less chances of birdie/eagle on Par 70s

• Advertisement

I wouldn't get too bothered with the numbers, these aren't really par 70s. They're just par 72s with a couple of holes around the 500 yard mark designated as par 4s for the tour players. They still require a 300 yard drive and 200 yard second shot. Not exactly chicken sh1t and as good as any birdie on an 'easy' par 5.

thats a fair point
    but if they are really par 5's, then they should just leave them as par 5's.
    i mean, pro's play strokes, so really the par of the course doesn't matter, the just have to go around in the fewest number of shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yes I agree, birdies and eagles dont matter as they play to a number. Par is irrelevant really.

I think my point was that these par70 courses are only just par70 courses. I agree they will probably be easier to score a 59 on than on most tour par 72s. But not by much since it's usually the downgrading of a couple of par 5s to par 4s that makes them par 70. And those par 4s will only just be par 4s.

Must be some feeling to have a round like that. Imagine the high you'd get from it. You'd be walking on air practically. Like 'I don't know what all the fuss is about, easy game this.' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

DeChambeau on a serious run of form at the moment...Will there be a sudden spike in Average Joe golfers playing single length irons if he keeps it up?

Would be tempted to try them out, just out of curiosity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

DeChambeau on a serious run of form at the moment...Will there be a sudden spike in Average Joe golfers playing single length irons if he keeps it up?

Not sure but I hope there won't be a sudden surge of slow as f**k golfers.

Your man Harman(claude) in the commentary box says he uses them

Hatton making a holy show of himself as usual I see

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

NDWC wrote:

Imagine him partnering Jon Rahm in the Ryder cup!

Imagine him partnering Jon Rahm in the Ryder cup!

If it was foursomes I doubt both would make it out alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I knew he was bad but he has taken the piss altogether today. Never once is it his fault. You would swear the greens they are putting on are hollowtined or something with the amount of whining he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Jaysus he comes across as a right knob..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

4Ad wrote: »

Bjorn has his work cut out with that twerp. He might have to assign one of the vice captains to mind him - a sort of Special Needs Assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Looks horrible but can't deny it's really working for him now. Bound to be followers. Could put a fella off watching golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

I knew he was bad but he has taken the piss altogether today. Never once is it his fault. You would swear the greens they are putting on are hollowtined or something with the amount of whining he does.

It's the kind of thing you might expect to see from a teenager who is just starting to get serious about the game and before he's told to cop himself on. God help his partner in the ryder cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

4Ad wrote: »
    On the course he does. During interviews he seems completely different. Bit of a Jekyll and Hyde.

Looks horrible but can't deny it's really working for him now. Bound to be followers. Could put a fella off watching golf.
    Every time I see him, I can't help seeing this:

Just looked at the tee times for today's round... seems like most people won't get to watch the big names, i.e. Rory & Tiger, because bad weather forecast has resulted in tee times from 7am - 9am local time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

HighLine wrote: »
    Just looked at the tee times for today's round... seems like most people won't get to watch the big names, i.e. Rory & Tiger, because bad weather forecast has resulted in tee times from 7am - 9am local time.

Sky probably red button the feature groups?

AGC wrote: »
    Sky probably red button the feature groups?

Yeah they have the featured groups on their main channel. I was just more making the point that the majority of people won't get to watch as it will be starting at 12:30pm. Hopefully Tiger and Rory will be in the final group come Saturday and Sunday though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

They're reshowing the 2-6 broadcast at 7. I know it won't be live but you'll see most of Rory and Tiger in that, at least their back 9 plus some highlights of the front 9.

Just noticed that Shauffele has a very narrow stance with the driver.

Mcilroy, Thomas and Day

Mcilroy, Thomas and Day

Yeah hopefully they won't be showing much of tag along AllDay :D

Mcilroy, Thomas and Day
    They're still waiting for Jason to reply to the tweet they sent him. :)

• Advertisement

In other news Tiger birdies the first, Bubba and Brooks have three birdies after six and DJ has shaved his beard off. With a kitchen knife it appears. :)

Heard a few comments now saying there is a huge amount of rain due at the course tomorrow and more on Monday. Might well be a 54 hole tournament!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Will I jinx it once again by saying 59 watch??

Actually thought we might see one given the conditions and seeing the perfect starts Rory and tiger got

Heard a few comments now saying there is a huge amount of rain due at the course tomorrow and more on Monday. Might well be a 54 hole tournament!

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/bmw-championship/weather.html

Will be wet all day - talking about moving the teetimes way forward in the morning and doing a similar two tee start with 3 balls to try and get them in before it gets too wet

Shaping up to be a great last day. Lots of brilliant players all bunched around the top

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement