Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tiger wins the tournie
    Rose wins the fedex
    DJ regains number 1

All happening out there.

Dj so clutch on the final day all year long. So many tournaments he seemed to be just coasting around mid table and then pops up with a 64 in round 4 for a routine top 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

LOL at Rory. Like hit a “****ing” fairway!!!

Can you elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

GreeBo wrote: »
    Can you elaborate?

He said it to Harry Diamond after teeing off on 17 (I think). The audio was caught by the mics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rory was spooked for sure. Was totally off his game. Think he reverted to what he often tries in these situations when he tries to intimidate by hitting it 40 yards past them. But that doesn't work against the top players. Game was almost over after the first. Real knock out blow from woods.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Can you elaborate?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    "Fcuking can't hit a fairway" biggrin.png. I feel your pain Rory. At least Tiger missed too.
    Think he said it while still standing over the tee. Camera was showing the ball coming to rest in the first cut and you could hear the... ahem... frustration.

Commentator (after the usual apologies) says: "He's not wrong though". :D

bren2001 wrote: »
    He said it to Harry Diamond after teeing off on 17 (I think). The audio was caught by the mics.

Weird, I've been repeatedly informed that he drove better than anyone else all week on the Rory mcilroy thread.

Someone should really tell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Weird, I've been repeatedly informed that he drove better than anyone else all week on the Rory mcilroy thread.

Someone should really tell him.

Seriously greebo. You need to shake your head.
    You were belittling his Driving at the end of day 3. He was first in strokes gained off the tee over those 3 rounds.
    He had a horror show round 4. Nobody would say his Driving was good in that round.

How is that hard to comprehend. I’m confused by your stance on this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rikand wrote: »

Dj so clutch on the final day all year long. So many tournaments he seemed to be just coasting around mid table and then pops up with a 64 in round 4 for a routine top 10

Say that about Rory and you'll get a different response :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

Keano wrote: »
    Say that about Rory and you'll get a different response :eek:

Ain't that the truth !! Routine top 10 or back door top 10 - tomayto / tomahto..........

Meh, I dunno, I think the 29 other players in the field should be a little embarrassed that they let an oul fella who has had, what ? 8 or 10 or surgeries ? shoot over par on the day and still beat them tbh. Hardly an entertaining final round, take the crowd roaring out of it and it was a damp squib imo.

The sad thing is that the result, with TW winning the tournament but not the FedEx, will give the powers that be the justification for the silly changes to next year's event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Russman wrote: »
    The sad thing is that the result, with TW winning the tournament but not the FedEx, will give the powers that be the justification for the silly changes to next year's event.

Or will it? On next year's system Rose would have won by 1 stroke... after shooting a +3 round. There would have been some difference in social media/general media had that been the case.

I really am baffled at the new change coming in. Like seriously... what was wrong with how things unfolded last night? Tiger played the best golf over 4 rounds and won the tournament and Rose was rewarded for his successful year as a whole by winning the FedEx.

Like I said previously.. just wait until the No.1 player shoots a mid 60s opening round in the Tour Championship and will have a 12/13 stroke lead. Then the s**t will hit the fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think it will be easier to follow and therefore better, though the whole play off format just doesn't suit golf.

HighLine wrote: »
    Or will it? On next year's system Rose would have won by 1 stroke... after shooting a +3 round. There would have been some difference in social media/general media had that been the case.

I really am baffled at the new change coming in. Like seriously... what was wrong with how things unfolded last night? Tiger played the best golf over 4 rounds and won the tournament and Rose was rewarded for his successful year as a whole by winning the FedEx.

Like I said previously.. just wait until the No.1 player shoots a mid 60s opening round in the Tour Championship and will have a 12/13 stroke lead. Then the s**t will hit the fan.

True enough, but I think one of the big factors was that they (I assume "they" being the PGA Tour & sponsors) couldn't handle someone winning the Tour Championship and not winning the FedEx, and that they wanted a winner takes all scenario to play out in their last event of the season. That's not so bad when its like last year with Xander Schauffele and Justin Thomas, both being fairly forgettable, but when TW wins the last event and doesn't win the overall I'd guess it will seem much "worse" to the corporates and the US fans' psyche.

I've no issue with a separate winner for each, to me they're two separate events.

They problem with last night is that there was nothing tiger could do to win, he could have shot -20 and still nothing. At least next year anyone can win it by shooting s great score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭paulos53

This may have been asked already but will the Tour Championship have world ranking points next year?

They problem with last night is that there was nothing tiger could do to win, he could have shot -20 and still nothing. At least next year anyone can win it by shooting s great score.

But wasn't the original idea that the FedEx was a season long thing, rewarding good play for the season rather than a good last tournament ?
    I wouldn't see it as a problem tbh.

• Advertisement

paulos53 wrote: »
    This may have been asked already but will the Tour Championship have world ranking points next year?

I don't think it should tbh, I mean how can an event that is handicapped have world ranking points ? Its bad enough that a 30 man event gets points in the first place.
    I'd guess it probably will though, sure if they can give Tiger's annual get together in the Bahamas world ranking points they'll find an excuse for the Tour Championship !

But wasn't the original idea that the FedEx was a season long thing, rewarding good play for the season rather than a good last tournament ?

The reward is that you start at -10 though!
    It would take an arguably great last tournament to make up ~10 shots, and at least put it into the hands of each player, today you have to rely on other people doing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

I agree.

I think they kind of want it to be a reflection of the whole season (ie FedEx brand gets mentioned continuously on live air all year ;)) but at the same time all coming down to a climax at the Tour Championship. Cake and eat it situation. I don't think it's too bad the way they have it now.

The reward is that you start at -10 though!
    It would take an arguably great last tournament to make up ~10 shots, and at least put it into the hands of each player, today you have to rely on other people doing things.

Yes, but it really takes away from the Tour Champs as a tournament in its own right. IMHO its way too contrived, with players starting at anything from -10 to level. Maybe thats what the US market wants but personally i think its off the wall crazy.
    Things were in the hands of each player, since last October when the season kicked off. The nature of golf and a season long event means you can't possibly have one tournament where the winner will be the player who was the best all year, it just doesn't work like that.

Things were in the hands of each player, since last October when the season kicked off. The nature of golf and a season long event means you can't possibly have one tournament where the winner will be the player who was the best all year, it just doesn't work like that.

If that was truly correct then they wouldnt reset the points it would just be a league with the FedEx champion being the guy at the top of the league...now its some random playoff where the top 5 have a better chance to win compared to the rest of the field.....its already contrived for viewing purposes, at least next year it will be trivial to see who is going to win and what needs to happen for anyone to win, i.e. win the last tournament.

• Advertisement

If that was truly correct then they wouldnt reset the points it would just be a league with the FedEx champion being the guy at the top of the league...now its some random playoff where the top 5 have a better chance to win compared to the rest of the field.....its already contrived for viewing purposes, at least next year it will be trivial to see who is going to win and what needs to happen for anyone to win, i.e. win the last tournament.

I know what you're saying but I think the concept of it is crazy. Golf just doesn't lend itself to the type of event they want. I suppose it might be a little bit crass to have a single tournament with $15m first prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I know what you're saying but I think the concept of it is crazy. Golf just doesn't lend itself to the type of event they want. I suppose it might be a little bit crass to have a single tournament with $15m first prize.

They are actually going 180* from what a golf handicap is for and switching to horseracing!

kiers47 wrote: »

Seems that video is 2 years old apparently..........?

Fred Couples in the top 20 of a Pga tour event, wasn't his back absolute ****ed last year (or am I thinking of someone else) he must have bought a new one in the same place as tiger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Elmo Murphy

Keopka up to world number 1 by winning in Korea today.

Cameron Champ looks to be the real deal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Cameron Champ looks to be the real deal.

I've heard he regularly hits it 20 yards past DJ and Koepka :eek:

NDWC wrote: »
    I've heard he regularly hits it 20 yards past DJ and Koepka :eek:

https://twitter.com/gregallenRTE/status/1061049376649424899?s=19

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Kuuuuch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just shows the effects 4/20 can have on your golf

Drugs are bad, m'kay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Is it possible to be slower than Cantlay. I've seen par 3s played quicker than the time it takes him to pull the trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

That's not a golf swing for tiger's 2nd shot on 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

kiers47 wrote: »
    Is it possible to be slower than Cantlay. I've seen par 3s played quicker than the time it takes him to pull the trigger.

Ended up being 2 holes behind the 2nd last group to finish. That’s some joke in an 18 man field.

Also, that was 100% a double hit from Tiger. He literally scooped it out of the bush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

I just walked into my sitting room and looked at the TV. Oh I must have sky paused, I think. And then Cantely took his back swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Another dodgy ruling for woods

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think the Wood's ruling makes sense, I could not see anything from the Tiger angle in real time, slo mo for sure but that's outside the rules and rightly so, enough keyboard rules lawyers as is
    https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1068602953462775808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1068602953462775808&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pgatour.com%2Fnews%2F2018%2F11%2F30%2Ftiger-woods-avoids-penalty-ruling-hero-world-challenge.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

But he hit it twice so penalty. Why no penalty? New rule comes into effect 1st of Jan.

From my reading of it the salient point is did the player him/herself feel a double hit, from Tiger's stance he was partially blind to the shot and when questioned afterwards said he did not feel or see a double hit so that's it over and done with as TV footage cannot be used to impose a penalty.
    I saw the slowmo first and immediately thought that was a double (if not more than double) strike but looking at it in real time from over Tiger's shoulder it is completely different perspective.

I've just watched the slow motion replay a few times and I don't think it was a double hit at all. I do however think it was a scoop shot and not a stroke. Important to distinguish the two as a scoop shot is a 2 stroke penalty and a double hit is only 1 stroke (no penalty from January).

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    But he hit it twice so penalty. Why no penalty? New rule comes into effect 1st of Jan.

From Decision 34-3/10........

When Video Evidence Reveals Things that Could Not Reasonably be Seen with the Naked Eye. The use of video technology can make it possible to identify things that could not reasonably be seen with the naked eye. Examples of this include:

When a player unknowingly touches a few grains of sand in a backswing with a club in making a stroke from a bunker.
    When a player is unaware that the club struck the ball more than once in the course of making a single stroke.
    In such situations, if the Committee concludes that such facts could not reasonably have been seen with the naked eye and the player was not otherwise aware of a potential breach of the Rules, the player will be deemed not to have breached the Rules, even when video technology shows otherwise. See also Decision 18/4. In applying this “naked eye” standard, the issue is whether the facts could have been seen by the player or someone else close by who was looking at the situation, not whether the player or anyone else actually saw it happen.

I’m no fan of Woods, but I think in this case it’s probably a fair enough ruling. In real time there’s no way it looked like a double (or more) hit, yet it’s obvious in the slo mo that the club almost scooped the ball out.

I've just watched the slow motion replay a few times and I don't think it was a double hit at all. I do however think it was a scoop shot and not a stroke. Important to distinguish the two as a scoop shot is a 2 stroke penalty and a double hit is only 1 stroke (no penalty from January).

The funny thing is the double hit "penalty" is gone next year but the player must add the second "hit/stroke" to their score so same end result

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    The funny thing is the double hit "penalty" is gone next year but the player must add the second "hit/stroke" to their score so same end result

No that's not the case. If it's an accidental double hit, a player counts the single stroke they took to strike the ball, rather than counting two shots for hitting the ball twice.

10(1)A
    https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/the-rules-of-golf/rule-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You are wrong there I think Slave

You're correct guys, could have sworn I saw somewhere the second strike was to be added

It was in that PGA piece I linked to earlier about adding the second "hit"

They said...
    Starting in 2019, the rule will change, with no penalty assessed but the second stroke added to the scorecard

I misinterpreted it

It was in that PGA piece I linked to earlier about adding the second "hit"

They said...
    Starting in 2019, the rule will change, with no penalty assessed but the second stroke added to the scorecard

I misinterpreted it

That's very poorly phrased in fairness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement