Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Some par on the last for Tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

How many of us are just switching off now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Almaviva wrote: »
    How many of us are just switching off now ?

I am ...
    I'm exhausted after that
    that was just astonishing

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PoppelMan

Wasn't too big of a fan of golf in TV until today. But this was pure entertainment! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Barring a complete disaster Tiger has this one in the bag. Simply awesome round today. He doesn't give up 7 shot leads on the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Stunning round of golf from Tiger, made all the more impressive by the scores of everyone else. One 66 and a couple of 67s were the best of the rest. Magic to watch.

Lowry had 38 putts today, some contrast with Tiger's 22 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Lets see how woods gets on in the big one next week...no need to wait ..il tell ya how he will get on ..he'll do nothing..how long am I saying it on here?..his major days are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ah feck - I was out last night and missed it.....saw the highlights. Stunning round from Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Tiger plays a round of golf as good as you are ever likely to witness and lads saying he isn't "back" yet

Enjoy your prune juice in shelbyville lads!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Lets see how woods gets on in the big one next week...no need to wait ..il tell ya how he will get on ..he'll do nothing..how long am I saying it on here?..his major days are over.

If the only outcome of a Major is "Winning" or "Nothing", then you might be right.
    I personally think it's an incredibly harsh way to rate his chances next week.
    While I admit you don't get the trophy for coming second, 3 Top Tens in the last 5 Majors is as solid as anything, a few lucky/unlucky breaks either way are the only difference.

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    Tiger plays a round of golf as good as you are ever likely to witness and lads saying he isn't "back" yet

Enjoy your prune juice in shelbyville lads!!!!

If tournaments were one round tournaments, and that one round tournament was a major, and Tiger shot a 61 in it - then he would be back.
    But they aren't, it wasnt, and he didn't - so not 'back' yet. He's near it though.

If the only outcome of a Major is "Winning" or "Nothing", then you might be right.
    I personally think it's an incredibly harsh way to rate his chances next week.
    While I admit you don't get the trophy for coming second, 3 Top Tens in the last 5 Majors is as solid as anything, a few lucky/unlucky breaks either way are the only difference.

'Back' presumably means back where Tiger was doing what made his name - winning majors, and doing so more frequently and with more field crushing success than anyone else. So until we see a major, or even two from him, he's is not back in my book. Being competitive in mjors and winning regular events is too low a standard for Tont, and below where he used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

If tournaments were one round tournaments, and that one round tournament was a major, and Tiger shot a 61 in it - then he would be back.
    But they aren't, it wasnt, and he didn't - so not 'back' yet. He's near it though.

Agreed playing awesome golf at the minute but i think it's pivotal that he wins next week to have any chance of getting to 19. 5 years since he won a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

So he needs to shoot a 61 in a major to be back now?

One round tournament you say? He has won 4 times this year so far and in very few starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

medic087 wrote: »
    Agreed playing awesome golf at the minute but i think it's pivotal that he wins next week to have any chance of getting to 19. 5 years since he won a big one.

If he's looking to beat Jack, yeah, he'll have to start making headway.
    He's had a great year, but as they said last night, if he doesn't win a major, nobody will look at it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Pivotal that he wins next week? No its not. Nicklaus won a couple when he was 40 and again when he was 46. Tiger is 37. If he stays injury free he should be fit enough for another 10 years to be capable of winning more majors.

I agree that he does need to start making some headway, more to get the pressure off his back than anything, but he does not have to win next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Pivotal that he wins next week? No its not. Nicklaus won a couple when he was 40 and again when he was 46. Tiger is 37. If he stays injury free he should be fit enough for another 10 years to be capable of winning more majors.

I agree that he does need to start making some headway, more to get the pressure off his back than anything, but he does not have to win next week.

Tiger is playing in an era where the depth of talent throughout the field is unbelievable. Far more in my opinion than the 70's/80's. You only have to look at the number of first time major winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Tiger is playing in an era where the depth of talent throughout the field is unbelievable. Far more in my opinion than the 70's/80's. You only have to look at the number of first time major winners.

Darren Clarke, Ernie Els - Very close for Cabrera this year, very close for Tom Watson in 2009. Tiger has plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Darren Clarke, Ernie Els - Very close for Cabrera this year, very close for Tom Watson in 2009. Tiger has plenty of time.

But they weren't winning anything else when they were winning/contending on those recent occasions. They kind of came out of the blue. So for Tiger, nothing says you're not going to win a major like being on winning form. :p Just ask Phil Mickelson. ;)

I think Tiger will look back on this year as a huge success, major or no major. So many people said he was done, finished, not the same player and yet he came back and dominated golf again. Unless Phil Mickelson or Adam Scott win the USPGA, I don't think anyone else can claim to have had as successful year as Tiger.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Forever amusing your posts Berba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

tumbleweed.gif

Tiger spoiled us last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

He was actually great to watch again yesterday though, wayward off the tee led to a lot of classic recovery shots and a lot of very good up and downs, plus an up and in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He could still lose it!

Stenson could shoot 59 and tiger could tank it! :D

Good spot Benny Cake.
    I had assumed it all finished when Tiger holed (yes, with an 'e'. Anyone else finding 'well held' endemic these days?) out for the 61 on Friday. I guessed they would probably let anyone else on the course finish out, but cancel Saturday and Sunday's play, letting the Tiger Show move on to Oak Hill. Fairplay to them for keeping it going even when everyone has lost interest.

Good spot Benny Cake.
    I had assumed it all finished when Tiger holed (yes, with an 'e'. Anyone else finding 'well held' endemic these days?) out for the 61 on Friday. I guessed they would probably let anyone else on the course finish out, but cancel Saturday and Sunday's play, letting the Tiger Show move on to Oak Hill. Fairplay to them for keeping it going even when everyone has lost interest.

Were you watching yesterday?

It's a bank holiday weekend, not everyone is sitting in watching the golf. I was watching the football at a mates with a few beers last night for example, though I did have the leaderboard opened up on the iPad as well. Others could have been out and about.

You seem to have bit of a chip on your shoulder when it comes to Tiger tbf.

If Tiger can string together 18 straight pars, that will be impressive in it's own right. Very comfortable his game looks through the turn.

edit - ruined his scorecard with a birdie at the 10th :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Pity the PGA isn't on @ Firestone.

Quality shot from Dufner at the last.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Quality shot from Dufner at the last.

Yes indeed.

Quality 265 shots from Tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Stenson is Swedens best bet for a major win I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement