Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

Does that get him into the Open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

wont get him in the open and he's 250 in the world. Probably move up to around the 130 mark. $540k and a 2 year exemption on the US Tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Does that get him into the Open?

Unfortunately not, gets him 2 year pga exe ption (rest of this year and next)A spot in Hawaii champions The Players and PGA championship but I cannot see him not getting a special invite to The Ooen now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

He will have a few more chances to qualify for the Open but he needs another win I'd say if he wants to qualify via the OWGR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, gets him 2 year pga exe ption (rest of this year and next)A spot in Hawaii champions The Players and PGA championship but I cannot see him not getting a special invite to The Ooen now
    'Special invite'? Don't think those exist to The Open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Kisner very solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Great to see Gmac winning again, clutch player but I always felt he was underrated compared to the likes of Poulter etc. He's been quiet for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

There are no invites to the Open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

its pathetic alright, i though they had both faded out and finished down the leader boards.
    great results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The reason it didn't get mention is because nobody cares about McDowell and Dunne playing in a second rate tournament or in Leona Maguire playing in the second division of the LPGA tour.
    That PGA tour event isn't second rate. There was a much better field than you'll get in an average European tour event.
    The National League Finals in both football and hurling were on today which is a much much bigger sports story in this country than either of those golf events.
    That doesn't mean that Irish sports people abroad shouldn't get a mention.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

eagle eye wrote: »
    That PGA tour event isn't second rate. There was a much better field than you'll get in an average European tour event

Well taking the OWGR as an indicator, the strength of field rating in that event was 26. The strength of field in the Indian Open this week was 51, and that's for a pretty minor European Tour event co-sanctioned with the Asian Tour. To call it second rate might be a bit harsh, any win on the PGA Tour is a good win, but the field certainly wasn't "much better" than an average European Tour event and it'll hardly rank as one of GMac's greatest achievements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 FrankieFeeler

That PGA tour event isn't second rate. There was a much better field than you'll get in an average European tour event.

That doesn't mean that Irish sports people abroad shouldn't get a mention.

Irish golfers do get mentioned in the news ,but seeing as the 2 events Irish golfers were competing in today are second tier events then it's not going to get as much attention as a normal event would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Irish golfers do get mentioned in the news ,but seeing as the 2 events Irish golfers were competing in today are second tier events then it's not going to get as much attention as a normal event would.
    Sung Jae IM, no. 59 in the world was in that event, so was Vegas. there were a few more from the top 100.
    Nothing second rate about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 FrankieFeeler

Sung Jae IM, no. 59 in the world was in that event, so was Vegas. there were a few more from the top 100.
    Nothing second rate about it.

It was second rate, the only reason any of those players were playing in the event was because they were not good enough to qualify for the matchplay, it wasn't a proper full PGA tour event.It is classified by the PGA tour themselves as an alternate event, it's just there to give lower ranked players something to play for that week.

Number of Rankings points available was 24
    Prize fund was $3.1 million

The average PGA tour event would have a prize fund of over $7 million and around 50 rankings points or more available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

It was second rate, the only reason any of those players were playing in the event was because they were not good enough to qualify for the matchplay, it wasn't a proper full PGA tour event.It is classified by the PGA tour themselves as an alternate event, it's just there to give lower ranked players something to play for that week.

Number of Rankings points available was 24
    Prize fund was $3.1 million

The average PGA tour event would have a prize fund of over $7 million and around 50 rankings points or more available

Also fed ex points are less. About 2/3 of normal week

Great for him to get a W. Hopefully pushes on like Poulter did when regained tour card. Pressure off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Good to see Big Mac win on the pga tour again even if it’s not the best of tournaments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bmay529

A lot of known names in the top 10 so a reasonable field and a good win for McDowell which should give him a dose of confidence
    Win: Graeme McDowell, -18, $540,000
    T-2: Mackenzie Hughes, -17, $264,000
    T-2: Chris Stroud, -17, $264,000
    4: Jonathan Byrd, -16, $144,000
    T-5: Kelly Kraft, -15, $114,000
    T-5: Chip McDaniel, -15, $114,000
    T-7: Aaron Baddeley, -14, $93,500
    T-7: Sungjae Im, -14, $93,500
    T-7: George McNeill, -14, $93,500
    T-10: Kramer Hickok, -13, $78,000
    T-10: D.J. Trahan, -13, $78,000

And a nice payday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good win and the 2 year extension is a nice bonus. Also the first time ever 4 Europeans have won in consecutive weeks on the pga tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Good win and the 2 year extension is a nice bonus. Also the first time ever 4 Europeans have won in consecutive weeks on the pga tour.

I thought that was blown with the matchplay but you're right lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Good to see (2 videos - click arrow for 2nd)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvucZAzJCwx/

HighLine wrote: »
    Good to see (2 videos - click arrow for 2nd)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvucZAzJCwx/

Just came across that myself, very surprised to be honest considering Garcia's interview with Sky after the match. Fair play to them though.

2 players in need of some good PR doing what their PR folk tell them to.

Good to see though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sergio looks like he wants to punch him in the face.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Sergio looks like he wants to punch him in the face.

Had that same thought, he's nearly falling out of the buggy to be away from him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

martinkop wrote: »
    Had that same thought, he's nearly falling out of the buggy to be away from him :D

I'd love to get a body language expert's take on that interview. Talk about smiling through gritted teeth...

Kuch has really let the mask fall on his nice guy persona in recent months. He always struck me as somewhat bland and inoffensive, but I'm not sure I would still include the second of those terms if I were asked for my current thoughts on him.

I remember an incident that happened a number of years ago with Darren Clarke. His ball was lying in heavy rough when play was abandoned for the day.

When he went back the following day, the rough had been trampled down and his lie was vastly improved. But he decided not to take advantage of this and played the ball sideways out of the rough. This cost him a bogey, but earned him a lot of respect and I think he was awarded a prize for shot of the month on the European Tour. I also remember Paul McGinley conceding a very long putt on the 18th in the Ryder Cup at the K Club after a streaker ran onto the green.

I'm sure there are lots of other examples of golfers behaving in a sporting manner, but these two are the first that spring to mind. I think both of those gentlemen would probably have conceded the next hole to Garcia in that situation.

The fact that Kuchar failed to do so is very disappointing, particularly as he could have used some good press after his recent caddy related problems.

abff wrote: »
    I remember an incident that happened a number of years ago with Darren Clarke. His ball was lying in heavy rough when play was abandoned for the day.

When he went back the following day, the rough had been trampled down and his lie was vastly improved. But he decided not to take advantage of this and played the ball sideways out of the rough. This cost him a bogey, but earned him a lot of respect and I think he was awarded a prize for shot of the month on the European Tour. I also remember Paul McGinley conceding a very long putt on the 18th in the Ryder Cup at the K Club after a streaker ran onto the green.

I'm sure there are lots of other examples of golfers behaving in a sporting manner, but these two are the first that spring to mind. I think both of those gentlemen would probably have conceded the next hole to Garcia in that situation.

The fact that Kuchar failed to do so is very disappointing, particularly as he could have used some good press after his recent caddy related problems.

Clarke was the Irish Open at Carton, think it was just to the right of the par 5 4th but could be wrong.

I don't think either player, or 99% of pros would have to concede the next hoe because they would not have got the referee involved in the first place.

Remind me wrote: »
    I don't think either player, or 99% of pros would have to concede the next hoe because they would not have got the referee involved in the first place.

Did Kuchar involve the referee? Or did Garcia tell him that he'd missed the putt and therefore had lost the hole? (Which is what Kuchar said in that clip). If the former, I agree he shouldn't have done it. If the latter, then my comment stands.

In any event, he shouldn't have walked away from the green while Garcia was still putting.

Did Kuchar involve the referee? Or did Garcia tell him that he'd missed the putt and therefore had lost the hole? (Which is what Kuchar said in that clip). If the former, I agree he shouldn't have done it. If the latter, then my comment stands.

In any event, he shouldn't have walked away from the green while Garcia was still putting.

In Kuchar's press conference directly after the round he said he asked the referee because he didn't know what to do. Garcia said nothing to him and Kuchar had definitely approached the ref and then said to Sergio 'I didn't give you the putt'.

• Advertisement

In Kuchar's press conference directly after the round he said he asked the referee because he didn't know what to do. Garcia said nothing to him and Kuchar had definitely approached the ref and then said to Sergio 'I didn't give you the putt'.

Fair enough. In that case, he was lying in the clip we saw because he said that Sergio approached him about it.

A bit of good old fashioned gamesmanship. I don't think too many opponents will be conceding putts to him in future matches.

Fair enough. In that case, he was lying in the clip we saw because he said that Sergio approached him about it.

A bit of good old fashioned gamesmanship. I don't think too many opponents will be conceding putts to him in future matches.

Think in yesterday's clip he just acknowledged Sergio said it to him that he missed and made a mistake but didn't mention that he had approached him first.

You are right, it was 100% gamesmanship and he played the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Think in yesterday's clip he just acknowledged Sergio said it to him that he missed and made a mistake but didn't mention that he had approached him first.

You are right, it was 100% gamesmanship and he played the rules.

I dont see how its gamesmanship when Sergio missed a putt?

Potentially there would be something if Sergio had just picked the ball up, but he made a stroke so...

Even if he had picked it up, the rules are pretty clear so really not much that could be done.

Interestingly it seems that if they didnt have a match referee they could have agreed to move on.
    20.1-b wrote:
    . During a round, the players in a match may agree how to decide a Rules issue:

The agreed outcome is conclusive even if it turns out to have been wrong under the Rules, so long as the players did not deliberately agree to ignore any Rule or penalty they knew applied (see Rule 1.3b(1)).
    But if a referee is assigned to the match, the referee must rule on any issue that comes to his or her attention in time and the players must follow that ruling.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I dont see how its gamesmanship when Sergio missed a putt?

Potentially there would be something if Sergio had just picked the ball up, but he made a stroke so...

Even if he had picked it up, the rules are pretty clear so really not much that could be done.

Interestingly it seems that if they didnt have a match referee they could have agreed to move on.

Your opinion.

The stroke he makes while presumably trying to knock it in is clearly a stroke of someone who presumed the putt was conceded, definitely the wrong thing to do as everyone acknowledges.

IMO Kuchar going to the referee he is clearly looking to claim the hole instead of just calling Sergio on it. Playing the rules and taking the easy way out. Gamesmanship IMO.

Edit: I wonder over the course of the week how many players picked up or pulled a ball back to take a practice putt from the distance Sergio was without waiting for a signal. Or how many opponents just walked off and got on with the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

Nothing wrong with a bit of gamesmanship. Too many golf tournamnents end in some lovey dovey scenario where everyone is happy for the winner.
    A bit of needle makes things a bit interesting. :pac:

My notes from the incident:
    Kuchar is a sly ****er. Not to be trusted.
    Sergio is still a petulant child.

Your opinion.
    Whats my opinion? That it wasn't gamesmanship? Adhering to the rules cant be gamesmanship, especially when its the other player who has done something.
    The stroke he makes while presumably trying to knock it in is clearly a stroke of someone who presumed the putt was conceded, definitely the wrong thing to do as everyone acknowledges.
    If everyone knows it was the wrong thing to do, why bring it up?
    IMO Kuchar going to the referee he is clearly looking to claim the hole instead of just calling Sergio on it. Playing the rules and taking the easy way out. Gamesmanship IMO.

Playing the rules cant be gamesmanship....
    "the art of winning games by using various ploys and tactics to gain a psychological advantage."
    What "art" is there to allowing the referee to referee the match?
    Edit: I wonder over the course of the week how many players picked up or pulled a ball back to take a practice putt from the distance Sergio was without waiting for a signal. Or how many opponents just walked off and got on with the match.

I'd say few to none did it when the result of the hole hadn't been decided. On numerous occasions people had short putts or multiple putts from a short distance to win/half and they were preparing to take the shot when their opponent conceded, no one picked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Playing to the rules can absolutely be gamesmanship

AdamD wrote: »
    Playing to the rules can absolutely be gamesmanship

So when is it not gamesmanship, since to do the contrary would be cheating?

Whats my opinion? That it wasn't gamesmanship? Adhering to the rules cant be gamesmanship, especially when its the other player who has done something.

If everyone knows it was the wrong thing to do, why bring it up?

Playing the rules cant be gamesmanship....
    "the art of winning games by using various ploys and tactics to gain a psychological advantage."
    What "art" is there to allowing the referee to referee the match?

I'd say few to none did it when the result of the hole hadn't been decided. On numerous occasions people had short putts or multiple putts from a short distance to win/half and they were preparing to take the shot when their opponent conceded, no one picked up.

Did you see all the holes in the 100 plus games to know no one picked up?

Of course playing to the rules can be gamesmanship. Garcia didn't break any rule, he missed a putt. Kuchar brought the fact that Garcia he didn't concede to the referee, the small putt Garcia missed was for a half, whether he thought it was conceded or not he missed it so lost the hole, he didn't break a rule. Kuchar got the rules involved by calling the referee.

On a very simplistic point Sergio took more shots and he should have sorted it himself not got a referee involved.

• Advertisement

Did you see all the holes in the 100 plus games to know no one picked up?
    :confused:
    I don't *know* no one picked up, I said
    "I'd say few to none did it when the result of the hole hadn't been decided"
    Of course playing to the rules can be gamesmanship. Garcia didn't break any rule, he missed a putt. Kuchar brought the fact that Garcia he didn't concede to the referee, the small putt Garcia missed was for a half, whether he thought it was conceded or not he missed it so lost the hole, he didn't break a rule. Kuchar got the rules involved by calling the referee.
    Yes...so where is the gamesmanship here?:confused:
    On a very simplistic point Sergio took more shots and he should have sorted it himself not got a referee involved.

Indeed. Again, so what was the alternative and where was the gamesmanship?

You started this paragraph by saying "of course playing to the rules can be gamesmanship" and then neglected to actually point any gamesmanship out...

:confused:
    I don't *know* no one picked up, I said
    "I'd say few to none did it when the result of the hole hadn't been decided"

Yes...so where is the gamesmanship here?:confused:

Indeed. Again, so what was the alternative and where was the gamesmanship?

You started this paragraph by saying "of course playing to the rules can be gamesmanship" and then neglected to actually point any gamesmanship out...

Just look back 1 page where you said 'no one picked up'. Can't be clearer.

Using your own quote Kuchar's 'ploy' was to get the referee involved. IMO he should have dealt with it himself and moved onto the next hole. You have a different opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So when is it not gamesmanship, since to do the contrary would be cheating?

Gamesmanship isn't cheating, that's the whole point of the concept. Doing things that whilst are legal, are ethically blurry, to win.

Just look back 1 page where you said 'no one picked up'. Can't be clearer.

Using your own quote Kuchar's 'ploy' was to get the referee involved. IMO he should have dealt with it himself and moved onto the next hole. You have a different opinion.

I gave specific scenario where no one picked up without it being conceded. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Lol, letting the referee do his job is a ploy now?:rolleyes:

The only way open to Kuchar to deal with it was to take the win, the alternative was to agree to waive the rules which would penalise them both since they had a prescribed match referee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Sergio is a little child anyway, anyone who takes him seriously shouldn't bother. An out and out bottler who fell over the masters a couple of years ago, but failed many more times than he succeeded due to a suspect temperament.

AdamD wrote: »
    Gamesmanship isn't cheating, that's the whole point of the concept. Doing things that whilst are legal, are ethically blurry, to win.

I specifically didn't say it was cheating, in fact I pretty much said the opposite.
    The question I asked was, if the stated position is that playing by the rules can be gamesmanship, when is it not gamesmanship?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

NDWC wrote: »
    But Garcia only missed out on a half, therefore conceding the next hole would've meant Kuchar would be down a half himself

Garcia went 2 down instead of staying at 1 down at the 7th because of the missed putt.

If he won the 8th hole it would have been back to 1 down again, where he felt it should have been after 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Find it hard to pick a favourite in this dispute.

Always disliked Kuchar.

That stupid gormless smile, those bland beyond words interviews where he'd talk about going out and having fun or thanking the good lord for everything, those deeply irritating chants of 'Kuuuuch' (out of his control, admittedly) following him around, the vast sums of money he'd make without ever really winning much of note. You'd think he'd have made enough in his career not to short change a caddy.

As for Garcia, the trend of trying to remind everyone at every opportunity that he won the Masters says a lot about him.Wearing green all the time and calling his child Azalea. Ok Sergio, we get it, you won a green jacket.

Wouldn't know who to root for if they came to blows.

Garcia went 2 down instead of staying at 1 down at the 7th because of the missed putt.

If he won the 8th hole it would have been back to 1 down again, where he felt it should have been after 7.

You're right I had that completely wrong in my head :o

That takes away from Kuchar though, he has now a match over 17 holes rather than 18, which is unfair imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement