Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

abff wrote: »

"no good move" about sums it up for me.
    After he missed the short putt there is no equitable way to resolve the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Sergio, fresh after disqualification for slamming his putter into the greens in the middle east, lost the head again after missing a putt. He attempted to quickly knock the ball in with the back of his putter, missing the putt and losing the hole to Kuch. Uproar at Kuchar now for some reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

GreeBo wrote:
    "no good move" about sums it up for me. After he missed the short putt there is no equitable way to resolve the situation.

I don't like Garcia for a variety of reasons but I have some sympathy for him over this. If it was strokeplay, he wouldn't have a case but in matchplay, it was as obvious a gimmie as you could find and had he waited 2 seconds it would have been given. Its the spirit of matchplay, not the letter of the law.

Kuchar didn't need to concede a hole but he might have conceded a putt a few inches longer than usually given. I think that's all Garcia could (and did) expect in the spirit of matchplay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So McDowell had only 20 putts for his round last Saturday, 14 putts for his first 14 holes. That's unbelievable.

I also had 20 putts on Saturday, wasn't bad for the front 9.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

First Up wrote: »
    I don't like Garcia for a variety of reasons but I have some sympathy for him over this. If it was strokeplay, he wouldn't have a case but in matchplay, it was as obvious a gimmie as you could find and had he waited 2 seconds it would have been given. Its the spirit of matchplay, not the letter of the law.

Kuchar didn't need to concede a hole but he might have conceded a putt a few inches longer than usually given. I think that's all Garcia could (and did) expect in the spirit of matchplay.

The spirit can't ignore the rules if there is a match referee.

Garcia was looking for a longish putt to be conceded, but i don't know if it was for a win.

For me this would be very different if there was no ref and kuchsr claimed the hole. Its poor form that players don't stay nearby for putting during matches and leads to this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

GreeBo wrote:
    The spirit can't ignore the rules if there is a match referee.

I think Garcia acknowledged that he correctly lost that hole. Given the circumstances, Kuchar could have been generous and conceded a putt later in the round - as a gesture within the spirit. He chose not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Kuchar has always been a gentleman. People rightly gave out about the caddy not being paid but that's a whole different thing. On the golf course he has always been a nice guy.
    Sergio was stupid and completely at fault on this occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think Kuchar is far from the gentleman he likes to portray himself as.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

eagle eye wrote: »
    People rightly gave out about the caddy not being paid.

The time the caddy was paid the agreed apon amount and received a bonus too, but wanted even more of a bonus :pac:
    How stories get twisted! You gotta feel for poor Kutcher when this he’s somehow blamed for Sergio’s idiocy now and not considered a victim when a temp caddy publicly badmouths him for not giving him x10 times the prior agreed apon fee :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

I think Kuchar is far from the gentleman he likes to portray himself as.

Zach Johnson, one of Kuchar’s closest friends and a Sea Island neighbor, says “There is no one on the PGA Tour whose image is more different than who he really is than Matt Kuchar.”

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/matt-kuchar-mr-nice-guy-or-el-cheapo

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Having watched the Video, Sergio deserves to have lost the hole.

I also feel Kuchar seems to be a bit of a two faced individual. I would have had more respect for him had he stood his ground and just said, I didn't concede the putt, your bad, as opposed to the lame "i'm not sure how to make this right" and "I don't want to win like this" nonsense.

I'd say if it was any other 2 golfers this would be a non story, but these 2 have been in the news for the wrong reasons this year and it makes it all the more interesting.

The video they released together trying to explain the whole affair is awful, very cringe worthy stuff. Another mistake by these two numptys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

RoadRunner wrote: »
    The time the caddy was paid the agreed apon amount and received a bonus too, but wanted even more of a bonus :pac:
    How stories get twisted! You gotta feel for poor Kutcher when this he’s somehow blamed for Sergio’s idiocy now and not considered a victim when a temp caddy publicly badmouths him for not giving him x10 times the prior agreed apon fee :D

Strongly disagee.. he won 1.2 million it could of been the Caddy that helped him win! Local lad giving him the lines etc he wasnt looking for 10% just $50,000 which is nothing to him but a world to a Caddy. Every Caddy I said it to in St Andrews said it was a disgrace & he's know for been a miserable Cnut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

RoadRunner wrote:
    The time the caddy was paid the agreed apon amount and received a bonus too, but wanted even more of a bonus How stories get twisted! You gotta feel for poor Kutcher when this he’s somehow blamed for Sergio’s idiocy now and not considered a victim when a temp caddy publicly badmouths him for not giving him x10 times the prior agreed apon fee

CONTEXT my man!! COOOOONNNTEEEEEXT!!

To give the guy less than half a percent of the winnings!? Like that's not cheap, cheap is not tipping your taxi driver.

I'm not sure what you'd call what kucher did. I'd put it on par with robbing the change out of a homeless mans cup while he slept.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Good bounce back after an awful start by Harrington today

Wow, Si Woo Kim takes a two shot lead to 16 with a sand save on the previous hole and then gets a hole in one on 16. Nice four shot lead now and the short 17th and par five 18th to go.

The other two players in the threesome both birdied the hole, must be a record for a threesome on a par 3 to shoot 4 under par.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Kim must be one of the most up and down players on tour. He seems to either contend or miss the cut by multiple shots. He got hammered in every match last week, 7&5 in one and 6&4 in the other two! Even when he won the Players I don't think his form was great before or after.

NDWC wrote: »
    Kim must be one of the most up and down players on tour. He seems to either contend or miss the cut by multiple shots. He got hammered in every match last week, 7&5 in one and 6&4 in the other two! Even when he won the Players I don't think his form was great before or after.

Pretty much Si woo kin to a tee

he can and will do anything at any stage.

Seems like a player who will beat himself if it happenns.

4 lead here is massive even if he has a bad day

Edit: just had a quick look and his short game has been massive recently and his putter does get hot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

McDowell having another good week

This is fun

This is crazy. It'd be nice if Conners won but his history suggests he doesn't finish well.

Conners for the masters :D

TBF some mental fortitude on the back 9 (so far)

Insane that he has eight putts through eight holes on the back nine.
    Ten birdes, three pars and four bogeys with the one hole left and he is down the middle and fairly long on the last.

Great win for Corey Conners, first two putt of the back nine on 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Great win for Corey Conners, first two putt of the back nine on 18.
    Thought he was collapsing there on the back end of the front nine, but he battled back incredibly well with some fantastic pin-point approach shots. I couldn't stay up to watch the end, but was hopeful he'd close it out. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Lowry leads the heritage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Seamus Power also off to a good start to round 2. Now -4 overall after 2 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

Irish boys one and two in a pga event . Can’t ever remember that happening before . Let’s hope they keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

rooney30 wrote: »
    Irish boys one and two in a pga event . Can’t ever remember that happening before . Let’s hope they keep it up

Tied for first now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Bogeys the 12th and doubles the par3 14th. All the good work gone

Weather is expected to be awful for the afternoon starters. Wind is getting worse all the time right now. The likes of Hoffman and Grillo with only a few holes left could be in great shape come the end of play today.

Seven players including Lowry, Johnson, Poulter and Kuchar tied for the lead right now on -6.

Play resumes at 9.30

Shane 2 ahead - no coverage on sky because golf channel have packed it in for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

No live coverage at all?

No live coverage at all?

Nope, showing highlights and studio rubbish

Golf channel called the golf channel and showing no live golf, for shame

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I know sky depend on American coverage but this is a load of bull.

It's on NBC golf sports channel at the minute but it's NBCsports.com that actually has the coverage. How come Sky haven't got it when it's being shown live on an American channel even if it's steaming online they should have it.

• Advertisement

It's on NBC golf sports channel at the minute but it's NBCsports.com that actually has the coverage. How come Sky haven't got it when it's being shown live on an American channel even if it's steaming online they should have it.

Presumably they have some sort of service agreement with a host broadcaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Feck sake. 2 Irish at the top and no coverage! Damn you sky.

Feck sake. 2 Irish at the top and no coverage! Damn you sky.

Well, only 1 at the top
    McDowell is 3 behind
    Power is 7 behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Round 2 will resume at 12:45 p.m. Irish time.

Lowry had a ten footer on the last to open up a two shot lead but didn't make it. Still the leader after two rounds by one from Mullinax with Dusty and the Albatross man Grillo two back.

Lowry cruising along like the first two days. -12 right now and three clear of the chasers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

He dropped 3 shots on back 9. Joint 2nd place on - 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What has happened to DJ today?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

fullstop wrote: »
    What has happened to DJ today?!

Must be a while since he was +5 In four holes. More money for Seamus anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Didn't DJ have a poor final round at the Valspar too? These are tournaments you'd expect him to hoover up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement