Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

See Garcia at it again this week.

I was a fan over the years but if he hasn’t learned from Saudi Arabia he never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

him throwing his driver at his caddy at the open seemed way worse. that seemed to go under the radar a bit

him throwing his driver at his caddy at the open seemed way worse. that seemed to go under the radar a bit

Agreed, I think the caddy is his brother?

I’d have wrapped it around his neck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

How come there are only three FedEx Cup play-off events this year?

abff wrote: »
    How come there are only three FedEx Cup play-off events this year?

Just scrapped one and did a reschedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭paulos53

There is also a big change to the final Fedex event
    The FedExCup points leader after the first two Playoffs events will begin the TOUR Championship at 10-under par.
    The No. 2 player will start at 8 under.
    The No. 3 player starts at 7 under;
    the No. 4 player starts at 6 under;
    the No. 5 player starts at 5 under.
    Players 6-10 start at 4 under;
    players 11-15 start at 3 under;
    players 16-20 start at 2 under;
    players 21-25 start at 1 under;
    and players 26-30 start at even par.

As things stand some guys would be giving Koepka a 10 shot head start. It is hard enough to beat the guy from a level start without giving him shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I may get attacked for saying this, but I fancy Rory to win the FedEx cup. Koepka is the clear favourite but I think he could sneak it.

etxp wrote: »
    I may get attacked for saying this, but I fancy Rory to win the FedEx cup. Koepka is the clear favourite but I think he could sneak it.

Currently 2nd, no reason why not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

59 watch on the pga tour. Adam Swenson needs two birdies in last 4. Preferred lies so it was actually called on twitter today to watch out for a 59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm sure there was somebody on Twitter for every score from 57 to 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

So, Thorbjorn Olesen eh..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

59 watch on the pga tour. Adam Swenson needs two birdies in last 4. Preferred lies so it was actually called on twitter today to watch out for a 59

Pulled up on the last 5

Rikand wrote: »
    Pulled up on the last 5

My jinx of players going for 59 continues!!

On another note;
    Martin Kaymer MC at Wyndham and will lose his PGAT card. Five-year exemption from Pinehurst is over, and since he only made 14 starts this season (min. 15) he's likely ineligible for conditional status even if he stays in the top 150.

Back to Europe should do him good. 2 time major winner and has actually played reasonably well in Europe this year.

My jinx of players going for 59 continues!!

On another note;
    Martin Kaymer MC at Wyndham and will lose his PGAT card. Five-year exemption from Pinehurst is over, and since he only made 14 starts this season (min. 15) he's likely ineligible for conditional status even if he stays in the top 150.

Back to Europe should do him good. 2 time major winner and has actually played reasonably well in Europe this year.

Certainly been a bounce back year for him in some ways. Seems a little short sighted to miss the 15 by 1 but as you say it could do great things for him

• Advertisement

Random question but do caddies get sponsorship deals ever?

The caddies for the top.plauers get big money for hat sponsorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

A shocker from spieth. Is his head still not right from his masters collapse a few years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    A shocker from spieth. Is his head still not right from his masters collapse a few years ago!

Big swing changes and he has no idea where the ball is going ever since

Looks like viktor hovland is going to miss out on his pga tour card but just 3 points. Some effort in just 6 starts.

Will get into plenty tournaments next year anyway and wouldn’t be surprised if he picked up a win in any of those event.

Might look out as a very long shot Ryder cup player too.

Also: Jt Poston about to win with no bogey in 72 holes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Great putting today by Poston

paulos53 wrote: »
    There is also a big change to the final Fedex event

As things stand some guys would be giving Koepka a 10 shot head start. It is hard enough to beat the guy from a level start without giving him shots

I wonder how this will work from a World Rankings perspective.

I doubt they would award points allowing for the handicap. So I presume that the tournament will either be unranked (which seems highly unlikely) or world ranking points will be awarded based on actual scores excluding the handicap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭paulos53

World Ranking points will be based on the gross scores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jody Smoke

Such a nonsensical scoring system for the Tour Championship , I hope Kopeka (assuming he's goes into the tour championship at number 1) makes a complete Mockery of it and is about 10 shots clear of second after the first couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Think the PGA Tour's social media person had a few too many drinks last night

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1158377114254491649

Not exactly a close contest. Currently 93.65% have voted for Lowry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Shame, every Major winner has to have a first time so it's a naturally recurring event.
    I'm highly blinkered being a Shane fan, from the midlands and was up in Portrush to cheer him on but that was some feat to go bogey free in fairness.

This year alone we've seen two first time Major winners but first bogey free round in 45 years is a way bigger feat, Shane's win a bigger golf moment

I'd also vote for Shane though....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

slave1 wrote: »
    Shame, every Major winner has to have a first time so it's a naturally recurring event.
    I'm highly blinkered being a Shane fan, from the midlands and was up in Portrush to cheer him on but that was some feat to go bogey free in fairness.

This year alone we've seen two first time Major winners but first bogey free round in 45 years is a way bigger feat, Shane's win a bigger golf moment

I'd also vote for Shane though....

First bogey free tournament in 45 years to win! Scott Piercy and Charles Howell III did but both lost!

slave1 wrote: »
    This year alone we've seen two first time Major winners but first bogey free round in 45 years is a way bigger feat.

I presume you're just kidding around?

Ask Poston which he'd prefer to have achieved - one of a multitude of first time Major winners, or the first person in 45 years to win a tournament without scoring a bogey.

I'm just not phrasing myself the best, I totally agree winning a Major is the better achievement but the salient point is that lots of players have won Majors so in some respect it was a greater feat to win bogey free.
    Majors are won every single year but this was the first PGA bogey free win in 45 years....

• Advertisement

Just switched on featured groups, sound quality really bad for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Remind me wrote: »
    Just switched on featured groups, sound quality really bad for anyone else?

Fine here, Tiger having a mare, 4over. Putting nothing, beginning to get frustrated now.

Ya just turned it on, fine here too

Do people who win the masters get cursed it seems so in recent years :)

Sky just put the featured group coverage over to the red button in favour for the Ladies Scottish Open.... that's just silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just turned on and they were showing something bout Dechambeau and slow play? Was he penalised or anyone know what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

nice Start from Rory, and steady start from Shane. I think if shane finished top 20 would be a good result for him after the 2 weeks off.

Do people who win the masters get cursed it seems so in recent years :)

Spieth Reed willet Garcia Woods all recent masters winners. Your correct !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

And possibly Bubba watson before that.. "Following his Masters win, Watson began to struggle. He missed the cut at the Memorial Tournament and the U.S. Open.." (from wikipedia)

• Advertisement

A curse Rory would love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

RoadRunner wrote: »
    And possibly Bubba watson before that.. "Following his Masters win, Watson began to struggle. He missed the cut at the Memorial Tournament and the U.S. Open.." (from wikipedia)

Speith went on to win the US Open and Tour Champsionship that year and the Fed Ex. He won twice in 2016 and should have won the Masters again. He won 3 times in 2017 and won the Open as well. If that's cursed , give me a bit of that.

Watson after his first win, retained it and has won a WGC post his second Masters in 2014, won once in 2015, once in 2016 and 3 times in 2018. He also lost a shed load of weight and switched to some stupid Volvik ball in 2017 which (I believe) cost him. He has had an excellent career post 2014.

Tigers back is just gone. He looks sore and tight the entire time. I wouldn't call that a curse. He's just crocked.

Willet never should have won it and struggled with the duties afterwards. His brother didn't help. It's hard to say he was cursed.

Reed and Garcia is surprising, you would think they would have kicked on. Particularly Garcia.

Don't forget Cabrera.. he has practically missed every cut since 2009 :D

True about Spieth . It’s more recent form with him. What about Scott ? Would it be harsh to include him in that list? I thought he would win more majors after winning the masters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

bren2001 wrote: »

Willet never should have won it and struggled with the duties afterwards. His brother didn't help.

Not having that.

True about Spieth . It’s more recent form with him. What about Scott ? Would it be harsh to include him in that list? I thought he would win more majors after winning the masters

Did they bring in the long putter ban after he won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

ligerdub wrote: »
    Not having that.

As in, Spieth had it in his hands and tanked. 5 clear at the turn should be a comfortable finish. Willet was on a great run of form at the time.

Looks like TW has withdrawn today.

Our good friend Bryson is getting heaps of abuse online for his slow play yesterday. Plenty of videos going around where he takes well over a minute.

One is 3 minutes long where he paces out a 70 yard shot and the other terrible video is over 2 minutes for a 15-20 foot putt. You can see how pissed of tommy fleetwood and Justin Thomas are getting as well as their caddies. I believe they were on the clock for 8 holes yesterday too.

Pathetic really but even worse that the pga tour are doing nothing about it.

I don't see any issue with somebody walking out a 70 yarder.
    I'm no fan of De Chambeau and he is painfully slow but the 70 yarder one is a bit different.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't see any issue with somebody walking out a 70 yarder.
    I'm no fan of De Chambeau and he is painfully slow but the 70 yarder one is a bit different.

If you don't see the issue in a player pacing out a 70 yard shot then you are part of the problem.
    b
    Prompt Pace of Play
    A round of golf is meant to be played at a prompt pace.

Each player should recognize that his or her pace of play is likely to affect how long it will take other players to play their rounds, including both those in the player’s own group and those in following groups.

Players are encouraged to allow faster groups to play through.

(1) Pace of Play Recommendations. The player should play at a prompt pace throughout the round, including the time taken to:

Prepare for and make each stroke,
    Move from one place to another between strokes, and
    Move to the next teeing area after completing a hole.
    A player should prepare in advance for the next stroke and be ready to play when it is his or her turn.

When it is the player’s turn to play:

It is recommended that the player make the stroke in no more than 40 seconds after he or she is (or should be) able to play without interference or distraction, and
    The player should usually be able to play more quickly than that and is encouraged to do so

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement