Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

It has always been the weakest field for a WGC, presumably it is due to time of year and and entry requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The time of year can’t help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Phil Mickelson has dropped out of top 50 of OWGR for first time since Jordan Spieth was 4 months old! (Nov 93). What a remarkable run he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Brendon Todd has a 2 shot lead heading into tomorrow and is looking for three wins in a row.

He shot 62 today, hit every fairway and 17 greens in regulation.

He had the full-swing yips a year ago and couldn’t make a cut to save his life.

Great story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

NDWC wrote: »
    Brendon Todd has a 2 shot lead heading into tomorrow and is looking for three wins in a row.

He shot 62 today, hit every fairway and 17 greens in regulation.

He had the full-swing yips a year ago and couldn’t make a cut to save his life.

Great story

As per PGA Twitter

Brendon Todd's last 12 rounds on TOUR:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

See this is what happens when you go for a couple of lessons and do exactly what the pro tells you to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Todd on the brink of a third win already this season on the pga tour . Todd for the fed ex!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I know that it needs a "but the field tends to be weaker this time of season".

But 3 wins in a row would STILL be impressive.

I'm only an amateur watcher of Golf but it seems clear that the norm is that if you win one week it's really hard to do it again the next tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He didnt win in the end but came 4th and signed off with a 74. Another sub70 round and hed have won it by 2.

Pretty good few weeks all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Rikand wrote: »
    He didnt win in the end but came 4th and signed off with a 74. Another sub70 round and hed have won it by 2.

Pretty good few weeks all the same.

Outside of the actual wins it's the exemption and qualification for PGA and The Masters which take quite a lot of pressure off.

Due to a quirk he has not yet qualified for the US Open but if he can creep his way into the Top 60 throughout the season, it would be cool to make it too.

I wonder if the decision was being made this week, would Tiger have given him a chance in the President's Cup. Probably not but what a great bonus that would have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

The interview he did on No Laying Up was excellent for anyone interested

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nlu-podcast-episode-261-brendon-todd/id880837011?i=1000457300357

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Reed will most likely get a penalty for this cheating

https://twitter.com/NotScTop10plays/status/1203042773340971008?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

HighLine wrote: »
    Reed will most likely get a penalty for this cheating

https://twitter.com/NotScTop10plays/status/1203042773340971008?s=20

Just saw that, not only once but twice he did it!! And no way that was accidental. It wasn’t as if he only moved a grain or two of sand.

Just saw that, not only once but twice he did it!! And no way that was accidental. It wasn’t as if he only moved a grain or two of sand.

Yeah.. absolutely not accidental. Not sure how close the cameraman was to him... perhaps he thought he could get away with it!

Yeah.. absolutely not accidental. Not sure how close the cameraman was to him... perhaps he thought he could get away with it!

I wonder have they any other shots of him from the sand/waste areas. Any more cheating going on. Be interesting to see how this tournament handles this. Also Reed going into next week getting all the cheating accusations

What was Reed thinking?? There’s no defending that.

People will question now how often he’s done it before and he’ll never be able to shake off the cheat tag. What a dope

People will question now how often he’s done it before and he’ll never be able to shake off the cheat tag. What a dope

2 shot penalty that he has accepted. Says the camera angle makes it looks worse!!!!

Because he did it twice, should it not be a four shot penalty!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

i wouldn't do that if i was out practicing on my own. FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

2 shot penalty that he has accepted. Says the camera angle makes it looks worse!!!!

Because he did it twice, should it not be a four shot penalty!!

It should have been disqualification.
    It looked like a deliberate act. Also, his caddy was standing two yards away and must have seen it as well.
    More than any other game golf relies on the integrity of the players to police themselves. Reed must have known what he did. He should have immediately called the penalty on himself or called a rules official and explained what happened. His failure to do either should mean disqualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Don’t be surprised. There was a survey of PGA Tour players done last year. They were ask if they’d ever seen a fellow Pro cheating. I can’t remember what percentage said yes, but I was shocked how high it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

People will question now how often he’s done it before and he’ll never be able to shake off the cheat tag. What a dope[/quote
    Leopard and spots and all that, Tiger won't be happy as he most likely will be bombarded by questions about this more than Presidents cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

You’d wonder will the PGA tour follow the European Tour’s example a la the Simon Dyson incident a few years ago, or will it be the usual “nothing to see here” story with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Don't be surprised if the Australian fans at next week's Presidents Cup "give em plenty of it" to the 2018 Masters Champion. I have absolutely zero time for Reed as a person. He has had previous. Remember his altercation with the cameraman at the 2018 European Open in Germany? He made a complete fool of himself with his selfish comments at the 2018 Ryder Cup. No wonder why US captain Jim Furyk was struggling to find a playing partner to play with Mr Reed in Paris.

He does not give a fiddlers what people think of him. Doesn't care if people like him or not. He will do what's right for Patrick Reed, if he upsets people in the process, then his take is "so be it". He is the new hate figure of professional golf imo.

His attitude yesterday re "sandgate" was deeply disturbing. No remorse. No apology. It was the most hollow of acceptance of a "two shot penalty" that you will find anywhere by a pro golfer.

Personally he should be told by the tournament host Tiger, that you should forfeit all your winnings from the tournament to Tiger's own charitable foundation. If not he should face the full ire of his peers

On a separate note, is it true that Tiger is the only player in the Hero World Challenge, that will donate all his prize money earned at the event to the Tiger Woods Foundation? If true it says all awful lot about professional golfers and their "don't give an damn" attitude about anyone else but themselves. I for one will be rooting for Tiger tonight.

Woods and Rory McIlroy, who also gave all his prize money earned to his own charitable foundation, when he hosted the Irish Open, should be most applauded for this. It should be mandatory for all players playing in the Hero World Challenge, to give 100% of their winnings to Tiger's foundation. It is the least that Tiger deserves for what he has done to golf, and above all else his work outside of golf is truly inspirational. Well Done Tiger. He really has mellowed into a very gracious, humble person these days. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He does not give a fiddlers what people think of him. Doesn't care if people like him or not.

That's actually what I like about him, in fact I admire anyone just being themselves and not putting on an act for the cameras.

Having said that he's bang out of order here. Blatant cheating. Two stroke penalty minimum. Arguably should be DQ'd.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hardly a shock that it was Reed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That's actually what I like about him, in fact I admire anyone just being themselves and not putting on an act for the cameras.

Having said that he's bang out of order here. Blatant cheating. Two stroke penalty minimum. Arguably should be DQ'd.

He is just being himself...a cheater.

Vijay was a cheater back in the day and it was all forgotten about pretty quickly. Same thing will happen here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Elmore Fudd

Personally he should be told by the tournament host Tiger, that you should forfeit all your winnings from the tournament to Tiger's own charitable foundation. If not he should face the full ire of his peers

On a separate note, is it true that Tiger is the only player in the Hero World Challenge, that will donate all his prize money earned at the event to the Tiger Woods Foundation? If true it says all awful lot about professional golfers and their "don't give an damn" attitude about anyone else but themselves. I for one will be rooting for Tiger tonight.

Woods and Rory McIlroy, who also gave all his prize money earned to his own charitable foundation, when he hosted the Irish Open, should be most applauded for this. It should be mandatory for all players playing in the Hero World Challenge, to give 100% of their winnings to Tiger's foundation. It is the least that Tiger deserves for what he has done to golf, and above all else his work outside of golf is truly inspirational. Well Done Tiger. He really has mellowed into a very gracious, humble person these days. Long may it continue.

Considering the PGA tour (of which the players are a major part of) donates around 200 million dollars to charity each year while the players get a relatively small share of the revenue the tour generates (compared to other sports like NBA and NFL where they get around a 50% split) and considering most of the players are involved with various charities, make significant donations to charities and many have their own foundations and considering they play in charity golf events regularly I think it's a little bit rich to be whining about the supposed lack of charitable nature of professional golfers because they decide to take prize money from a professional golf tournament (the tournament itself is a load of nonsense so the fact that the even bother to turn up for it helps the charity involved by raising the profile of the event by having the presence of a high quality field) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Don't be surprised if the Australian fans at next week's Presidents Cup "give em plenty of it" to the 2018 Masters Champion. I have absolutely zero time for Reed as a person. He has had previous. Remember his altercation with the cameraman at the 2018 European Open in Germany? He made a complete fool of himself with his selfish comments at the 2018 Ryder Cup. No wonder why US captain Jim Furyk was struggling to find a playing partner to play with Mr Reed in Paris.

He does not give a fiddlers what people think of him. Doesn't care if people like him or not. He will do what's right for Patrick Reed, if he upsets people in the process, then his take is "so be it". He is the new hate figure of professional golf imo.

His attitude yesterday re "sandgate" was deeply disturbing. No remorse. No apology. It was the most hollow of acceptance of a "two shot penalty" that you will find anywhere by a pro golfer.

Don't be convinced that those donations are entirely without personal benefit, they are after all donating to their own "foundations". This is quite a bit different to other people donating to them. I don't doubt that these contributions do at least some good, but I don't think it's as straight forward as hosting a tournament and just essentially playing for free and giving away all the earnings to "charidee".

Tiger looks to be swinging it very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Patrick Reed regretting that decision now.

I'm sure he's benefitted much more in the past if that type of behaviour is a regular for him but he'll be feeling that 2 shot penalty now.

I really dont get his argument about the camera angle...even if the angle was terrible, while taking his practice swing he move sand, so clearly he improved his lie, unless he is also saying that he was making an exaggerated swing that wasnt on his intended swing path? (Which would also be horsesh1t)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Reed we all know you cheated. Just admit and move on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/50725063

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1207932149883645952?s=19

Some decent numbers here, Rory surely golfer of the decade.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1207932149883645952?s=19

Some decent numbers here, Rory surely golfer of the decade.

Most surprising figure of all is the longest tenure at World No. 1

Not one clear out-and-out World No. 1

callaway92 wrote: »
    Most surprising figure of all is the longest tenure at World No. 1

Not one clear out-and-out World No. 1

I'd be interested to see the full table

Surprised DJ hasn't racked up over 100 weeks, McIlroy must have 70+ weeks too I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd be interested to see the full table

Surprised DJ hasn't racked up over 100 weeks, McIlroy must have 70+ weeks too I'd imagine

Rory has 95, DJ 91

Who has the most PGA tour wins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

eagle eye wrote: »
    Who has the most PGA tour wins?

Dustin Johnson,rory McIlroy, bubba Watson, jason day.

All with 12 wins for the decade

https://www.pgatour.com/best-of-decade/2019/12/01/stats-of-the-decade-tiger-woods-dustin-johnson-rory-mcilroy.html

That's insane.
    I backed him to win this week after that. I fancied him before that but that put it over the top for me with the winds promised this weekend

Reed tried to silence Chamblee on the cheating incident. Wonder will he send similar letters to fans who call him a cheater? :D

https://golfweek.com/2020/01/09/patrick-reed-lawyer-demanded-brandel-chamblee-stop-talking-cheating/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Reed tried to silence Chamblee on the cheating incident. Wonder will he send similar letters to fans who call him a cheater? :D

https://golfweek.com/2020/01/09/patrick-reed-lawyer-demanded-brandel-chamblee-stop-talking-cheating/

My admiration for him goes higher than I could have known. Hes only sorry he got caught blatantly cheating. The PGA are too washy to DQ a big name player, especially in a tournament like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

As much of a prat that he his, you got to say he's good for the overall game as it needs a few characters. Give me Reed over a wooden Adam Scott any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

As much of a prat that he his, you got to say he's good for the overall game as it needs a few characters. Give me Reed over a wooden Adam Scott any day.

not anymore, caught blatantly cheating
    Problem is no top 10 player or the PGA of america have the balls to come out and challenge him

Blatant but it's minor enough in my opinion. So it wasn't a bunker, it was a waste area which is treated like any other part of the course so he can ground the club.

Is it much different to a player in the rough grounding the club behind the ball?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Blatant but it's minor enough in my opinion. So it wasn't a bunker, it was a waste area which is treated like any other part of the course so he can ground the club.

Is it much different to a player in the rough grounding the club behind the ball?

Its not the grounding its the improving the lie thats the issue, same for Kenny Perry a few years ago...difference is the PGA bottled that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Very different because 1 is cheating and 1 is not.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement