Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Jesus Henley now. The field are just dripping shots all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Haha, clearly not quite Rory’s day regardless of his own mistake on 5.

Chip stops on lip on 2, ball gets stopped by Scott’s when tracking to the pin on 7, then hits a drive down 8 and finishes in a divot!!!

Kuchar looking the most composed. Fairway green fairway green.

Although holes 12-16 will decide this tournament I think

So the joint leader tops his tee shot on the 10th with a 3 wood and CBS don’t show it, they miss DJ’s second on ten.

CBS is some disaster for coverage. Pathetic stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

CBS is some disaster for coverage. Pathetic stuff

Are you watching it on CBS?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

First Up wrote: »

We all are if you’re watching on Sky

• Advertisement

Sky feed is from CBS so we all get the shocking cbs coverage. Ridiculous change of broadcaster rubbish which today happened at the 5th so all the people in the US wouldn’t have seen the meltdowns live.

Remind me wrote:
    We all are if you’re watching on Sky

No, Sky decide what they show from the (many) options provided by the host broadcaster. That's how TV coverage works.

You think the local broadcasters in the UK, US, Canada, Japan etc. are all showing the same players?

10 under will actually win this thing. The course is playing so good. Nothing tricky. Just an old school test of golf.

No, Sky decide what they show from the (many) options provided by the host broadcaster. That's how TV coverage works.

You think the local broadcasters in the UK, US, Canada, Japan etc. are all showing the same players?

Your wrong in this case. Sky have the CBS feed. It’s very well known. They have there own commentary team alright but not the coverage. Sometimes you will notice the coverage goes to the cbs booth. No chance sky would have this many ads in the final round golf coverage with this tight leaderboard.

Your wrong in this case. Sky have the CBS feed. It’s very well known. They have there own commentary team alright but not the coverage. Sometimes you will notice the coverage goes to the cbs booth. No chance sky would have this many ads in the final round golf coverage with this tight leaderboard.

I am pretty sure that if it was the CBS feed, we'd be seeing Tiger coasting to 2nd last place.

• Advertisement

I am pretty sure that if it was the CBS feed, we'd be seeing Tiger coasting to 2nd last place.

We were still watching him when he was 8 over.

Clutch putt from Scott after a terrible chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Golf coverage is generally terrible outside of the majors, for whatever reason.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

10 under will actually win this thing. The course is playing so good. Nothing tricky. Just an old school test of golf.

Adam Scott looks comfortable. Could pick up a few more shots.

Adam Scott looks comfortable. Could pick up a few more shots.

The putter is hot. Tournament increasingly his to lose.

I have access to CBS (I don't think I'm allowed give the name of the app) and while much of the coverage is the same, I can assure you that there are differences.

The putter is hot. Tournament increasingly his to lose.

“He’s in the zone”
    Didn’t notice the group ahead off the tee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nice to see a course where they arent blitzing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

thought that was an awful chip from rory, was actually brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I still hate the long putter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Rikand wrote: »
    thought that was an awful chip from rory, was actually brilliant!

Not the only one. Bogey from Scott keeps me up for another hole

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Not the only one. Bogey from Scott keeps me up for another hole

5 man playoff world be nice!

Great drive from Scott
    Under pressure there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

That was one great tournament in Riviera. Lots of positives for Rory to take even though the win was out of reach for him. Don't be surprised to see him back in the winners enclosure in Mexico come next Sunday. He's very close to his best.

Adam Scott should win more tournments. IMO he along with Rory and Louis Oosthuizen have the 3 best swings in golf. However the Australians downfall is on and around the greens and when he conquers that aspect of the game then he can make the game of golf ridiculously easy. Despite this I was delighted to see him get over the line even though I was hoping that Rory would get the job done.

Sad to see Tiger struggling. He clearly is no where near 100% fit and paid the ultimate price by finishing 22 shots behind the winner. Personally he should just focus on playing 10 events a year which in other words is semi-retirement yes, but there is no way the man can ever play a full schedule again.

Finally an appreciation to the course itself. What a layout. With the firm and fiery conditions it was one tough test of golf. If they could do one thing though and that's make the way too easy par 5 first hole to a par 4 then you would have one of the fairest yet toughest tests in championship golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

What was so hard about it though? was it the greens or grass as on telly it looked wide open. But have to say it is great TV not seen them destroy a course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

benny79 wrote:
    What was so hard about it though? was it the greens or grass as on telly it looked wide open. But have to say it is great TV not seen them destroy a course.
    Everything, tough tee shots, penalising rough, greens like Augusta.

Sad to see Tiger struggling. He clearly is no where near 100% fit and paid the ultimate price by finishing 22 shots behind the winner. Personally he should just focus on playing 10 events a year which in other words is semi-retirement yes, but there is no way the man can ever play a full schedule again.
    It's got nothing to do with his fitness. He is going to have bad weeks given everything he has went through but his biggest issues on the weekend were putting and more importantly being tournament host.
    I was very surprised to see him take on the duties of being the host, it takes a toll and you don't have the opportunity to go through your normal pre-game routine.
    If you go through all PGA players that have taken on host duties you'll see a lot of missed cuts and from top players too.
    I fully agree with the rest of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with his fitness. He is going to have bad weeks given everything he has went through but his biggest issues on the weekend were putting and more importantly being tournament host.
    I was very surprised to see him take on the duties of being the host, it takes a toll and you don't have the opportunity to go through your normal pre-game routine.
    If you go through all PGA players that have taken on host duties you'll see a lot of missed cuts and from top players too.

I thought he has hosted this tournament for a good few years but the difference this year was it was a full field?

Remind me wrote:
    I thought he has hosted this tournament for a good few years but the difference this year was it was a full field?
    It was upgraded to an invitational this year. Huge tournament from now on, lots of really big sponsors added, bigger prize money, reduced field size and most of the big guns playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

If you look at the comments that Tiger made after his final round on Sunday, the one word that jumps out is "stiffness". I know that in the greater scheme of all the injuries that Tiger endured this is one of the least he has to worry about as been a bit stiff can happen to anyone particularly those athletes that continue with their respective sporting careers post 40.

However if you are Tiger you must make allowances. Deep down if he could get away with just playing the 4 majors a year and that's it, he would do it. His main goal is to win 19 majors and defeat Jack Nicklaus' record of 18. I have criticised Tiger in the past of playing far too few events particularly in his prime from 2000 to 2002 when it was in effect a contest for second place after Tiger.

But it's getting quite obvious that his body just cannot take the strain of playing a full schedule anymore. It's the majors that he now must concentrate. I get the impression that if TW did get to 19 plus majors already he may well have called it quits 're competitive playing by now. Deep down that win in Augusta in 2019 must have meant so much to him.

Above all else though is that desire to hold the major record of 19 still drives the man to this day. The big question is can he achieve what many believe to be the improbable. I have written off Tiger about over a thousand times in his career. But yet he continues to defy the naysayers and achieve things that are tbh are astounding. He will defend his title at Augusta in around 7 weeks of so. With 5 Green jackets to his name, I for one would be foolish to write him off. The auld saying of "write him off at your peril" could not be more true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you look at the comments that Tiger made after his final round on Sunday, the one word that jumps out is "stiffness". I know that in the greater scheme of all the injuries that Tiger endured this is one of the least he has to worry about as been a bit stiff can happen to anyone particularly those athletes that continue with their respective sporting careers post 40.

However if you are Tiger you must make allowances. Deep down if he could get away with just playing the 4 majors a year and that's it, he would do it. His main goal is to win 19 majors and defeat Jack Nicklaus' record of 18. I have criticised Tiger in the past of playing far too few events particularly in his prime from 2000 to 2002 when it was in effect a contest for second place after Tiger.

But it's getting quite obvious that his body just cannot take the strain of playing a full schedule anymore. It's the majors that he now must concentrate. I get the impression that if TW did get to 19 plus majors already he may well have called it quits 're competitive playing by now. Deep down that win in Augusta in 2019 must have meant so much to him.

Above all else though is that desire to hold the major record of 19 still drives the man to this day. The big question is can he achieve what many believe to be the improbable. I have written off Tiger about over a thousand times in his career. But yet he continues to defy the naysayers and achieve things that are tbh are astounding. He will defend his title at Augusta in around 7 weeks of so. With 5 Green jackets to his name, I for one would be foolish to write him off. The auld saying of "write him off at your peril" could not be more true.

But he has said several times before that he can manage the stiffness, he just needs time to warm up. He joked that if he wanted to play a few holes with the interviewer (might have been Beemer) that he would need to go stretch for 90 mins beforehand.

Being the host must have eaten into his prep time. Its also why early starts like at The Open dont really suit him, a 7:30am start has him out of bed before 5 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Tiger is also well aware that he wouldn't have much hope of winning a major if he played 4 events a year, hes trying to get the balance right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Brooks calls it as it us. Fair play... not afraid of the PGA Tour trying to silence his views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

What he say? cant view in work..

Just to go back to the discussion from the coverage on Sunday. It was torn apart all over the internet and the golfing public. And now the lads at nolayingup had a cracking podcast with Peter Kostis regarding coverage. The man just got let go by cbs.

Mad story about when he failed to mention all about Fedex cup points that this lad who had just one for the first time and got an invite to the masters. He got a call from the tour advising not to do that again and fedex must always come first.

benny79 wrote:
    What he say? cant view in work..
    He said that Patrick was cheating in the bunker, said there is more if it going on like people in deep rough taking out a wood, flattening grass and then deciding to use an iron instead after they've flattened the grass.
    He said he bit his tongue in the past but with his stature in the game now that he won't bite his tongue again.
    I'm a huge fan of Brooks and it's things like this that make him so great along with his play in the majors of course.

• Advertisement

He said that Patrick was cheating in the bunker, said there is more if it going on like people in deep rough taking out a wood, flattening grass and then deciding to use an iron instead after they've flattened the grass.
    He said he bit his tongue in the past but with his stature in the game now that he won't bite his tongue again.
    I'm a huge fan of Brooks and it's things like this that make him so great along with his play in the majors of course.

So why hasn't he said anything about cheating in the last 3 years? Not sure I credit what he is saying tbh. I hope it's true, but I doubt it.

GreeBo wrote:
    So why hasn't he said anything about cheating in the last 3 years? Not sure I credit what he is saying tbh. I hope it's true, but I doubt it.
    He said he didn't feel in a position to call it. He said that it's hard to prove too. He said given his stature in the game now thatbl he isn't going to bite his tongue anymore.
    The guy is a straight talker and I believe he means it. He has multiple majors now so he is a much bigger name in the game.
    Like if anybody else was asked about Reed they'd say you'll have to ask Patrick that be or something along those lines. He said straight out that Reed was cheating.

He said he didn't feel in a position to call it. He said that it's hard to prove too. He said given his stature in the game now thatbl he isn't going to bite his tongue anymore.
    The guy is a straight talker and I believe he means it. He has multiple majors now so he is a much bigger name in the game.
    Like if anybody else was asked about Reed they'd say you'll have to ask Patrick that be or something along those lines. He said straight out that Reed was cheating.

Yeah, but why hasnt he gone to the PGA and said "I saw X cheating today"?
    He claims to have seen big name players do it, he has had status for 3 years now, yet he hasnt brought it up?

Is he really saying that before he was famous he saw people doing it all the time but now that he is famous he hasnt seen anyone cheat?

That seems very convenient to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah, but why hasnt he gone to the PGA and said "I saw X cheating today"?
    He claims to have seen big name players do it, he has had status for 3 years now, yet he hasnt brought it up?

Is he really saying that before he was famous he saw people doing it all the time but now that he is famous he hasnt seen anyone cheat?

That seems very convenient to me.

He says in the exact same interview you can't prove it unless caught on camera

AdamD wrote: »
    He says in the exact same interview you can't prove it unless caught on camera

Don't have to prove it to bring it up. Proving it is the responsibility of the governing body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Peter Kostis says Reed has done it many of times. One time the grass was hammered down that by the time he was taking his shot he could see callaway which he couldn't do at first. Plenty of pro's cheap intentionally and if people think not then they are naïve. One Kostis mention was standing on spike marks before rule change

GreeBo wrote:
    Yeah, but why hasnt he gone to the PGA and said "I saw X cheating today"? He claims to have seen big name players do it, he has had status for 3 years now, yet he hasnt brought it up?
    He probably felt he wasn't a big enough name to be taken seriously. He may have wanted to discuss it with fellow pros who don't do it and see if he's get backing from them if it went viral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

He probably felt he wasn't a big enough name to be taken seriously. He may have wanted to discuss it with fellow pros who don't do it and see if he's get backing from them if it went viral.

That seems fair enough to me.

He effectively put himself first and now that he is in the position as one of the best players and biggest stars of the game, he probably feels an increased level of responsibility to address issues.

I think he should be commended, he could have as easily let it lie but he's addressing it now in effort to combat the issue.

Always good to see the athlete use his platform for the better of the game.

I can totally understand that POV maybe 5 years ago, but he has been a major winner for 3 years now. And a multi-major winner & world #1 golfer for over a year.
    If its a prevalent as he claims, I would have expected him to witness some over the last 18 months?

/dont get me wrong, I'm very happy that he called it out, but its very easy to say you are going to speak out in an interview and then just settle back and do nothing.

GreeBo wrote:
    /dont get me wrong, I'm very happy that he called it out, but its very easy to say you are going to speak out in an interview and then just settle back and do nothing.
    Yeah but most of the players do not speak out and wouldn't dare to lable Patrick Reed a chest. In fact I'd say almost all the rest of them.
    He has done that and his open announcement that he will report it is a warning to anybody who does do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It must be quite awkward to say someone has cheated considering you may have to play in a three or two ball with them

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    It must be quite awkward to say someone has cheated considering you may have to play in a three or two ball with them

They might be a good laugh as a Ryder Cup pairing.

Dr. Bre wrote: »

I guess if someone has cheated you probably don't care what they think of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You have your caddy so you dont need to interact with them except for first tee and 18th green

Morikawa is worth keeping an eye on. Apparently obtained a top 50 ranking quicker than Speith & McIlroy. I'd guess that's from the time he obtained his tour card.

Not too many events so far this year but currently ranked 9th T2G. I expect he'll go close a couple of times this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement