Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

I recall Harrington putting out a tweet of him tucking into a burger after the playoff win, I don't think Berger saw the funny side of it IIRC.

Did I read somewhere Harrington took him under his wing a bit with advice, practice rounds etc... After the Honda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

I recall Harrington putting out a tweet of him tucking into a burger after the playoff win, I don't think Berger saw the funny side of it IIRC.

A burger & coke is Paddy’s celebratory dinner of choice afaik rather than it been a dig at Berger. Definitely not his style to disrespect one of his peers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A great news story coming out of Florida in the secondary Korn Ferry Tour. Chris Kirk who took a break away from the game last year due to his battle with alcoholism has just won the King and Bear Classic. A birdie at the last gave him a winning total of 26 under, one ahead of Justin Lower. Fair dues to him. Huge respect for his honesty and been so open about his issues. A few tears will be shed with the Kirk family for sure.

26 under? Were they on a pitch and putt course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

AdamD wrote: »
    26 under? Were they on a pitch and putt course?

The heritage will probably be won in the 20s also tho

Some round Fritelli. Don’t think it will be enough to win tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Some round Fritelli. Don’t think it will be enough to win tho

Seeing his name always has the theme from Friends in my mind.

Seeing his name always has the theme from Friends in my mind.

Seeing his name reminds me of cheating playing alongside lowry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

I don't mind Hatton. But I do love a good spontaneous combustion. Could be incoming.

BoldReason wrote: »
    I don't mind Hatton. But I do love a good spontaneous combustion. Could be incoming.

Hatton looks like he wants to box the head off a lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Magnificent finish from Webb Simpson to seal it. Berger was impressive late in the day too, a friend was saying that if you added up the combined par putt distance for Berger it was under 200 inches total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Didn’t get to stay up to watch the end but very happy to see Webb win for my bank account. Even though he is now up number 5 in the world, he is still severally underrated. He tops the other rankings which seem to be a much better way of telling form. (Sangren rankings)

Not the prettiest swing but he is so solid and he has now turned his putting into a real weapon.

Can understand why people don’t like the firy golfers like Hatton but we have to have them. Bring so much entertainment with the comments and the potential for explosion!!

Gotta feel for Ancer. Missed only 7 greens all week(18 on Sunday), shoots 65 65 on the weekend and still doesn’t win. Second time he has shot over 20 under this season and not won. Since 2003, there have been 38 players to hold a 54-hole lead/co-lead on the PGA Tour and shoot 65 or lower in the final round.

37 went on to win.

Abraham Ancer, today, is the only player not to.

Another shocking final round from Rory really. Wasn’t in what a shot of a win obviously but a little concerning about these Sunday collapses. His game is very mixed at the minute with plenty of issues. Onto a course he had some success last year at so think it will be a good test to see where his game is really at. Don’t think the last two courses really suited him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Remind me wrote: »
    Seeing his name reminds me of cheating playing alongside lowry

What's the back story to this?

Another shocking final round from Rory really. Wasn’t in what a shot of a win obviously but a little concerning about these Sunday collapses. His game is very mixed at the minute with plenty of issues. Onto a course he had some success last year at so think it will be a good test to see where his game is really at. Don’t think the last two courses really suited him.

Not sure I agree with you that it was a collapse. He was 5 behind going into the final day. If he was leading then it would be a collapse. He needed to shoot a 59 to win in the end.

Well starting five back and finishing eleven back is not good no matter how you look at it.

etxp wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with you that it was a collapse. He was 5 behind going into the final day. If he was leading then it would be a collapse. He needed to shoot a 59 to win in the end.

Obviously yesterday wasn’t necessarily a collapse but when the field scoring average is like 67, his round was pretty poor. He can still set a good score up like JT or brooks did. Same last Sunday when he had an outside chance of setting a good target score.
    Then look deeper into the Sunday at Arnold Palmer and riviera. He has some demons developing. Last season he would still turn poor weeks into top 10’s.

• Advertisement

What's the back story to this?

Sun City, looked for an outrageous free drop from a sprinkler saying it was impeding his 'natural' shot which was bending the rules Uri Gellar style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm very surprised Simpson has only won 7 times including last night and his win in February, I would've thought he'd won at least 10 times in total. Apparently he's lost 5 playoffs also though.

NDWC wrote: »
    I'm very surprised Simpson has only won 7 times including last night and his win in February, I would've thought he'd won at least 10 times in total. Apparently he's lost 5 playoffs also though.

He has a major ye? US open I think

Dr. Bre wrote:
    He has a major ye? US open I think
    A long time ago now. Gotta fancy him this year to have a serious chance in the US Open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

We are judging rory based on two competitions that he has never played and for a reason. They are not suited to his game

These two comps will stand to him

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote:
    We are judging rory based on two competitions that he has never played and for a reason. They are not suited to his game
    These two comps will stand to him
    Are they suited to De Chambeau, Thomas, DJ, Keopka?

I personally think he needs somebody to take charge of his career. Get him a great green reading caddie for starters.

The game is there but he isn't performing consistently enough at the big events. Putting seems a big part of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

Graeme McDowell has withdrawn from this week's Travelers Championship after his caddie tested positive for covid 19.

For all the petulance and the lack of humility he shows, Sergio's comments that "others deserved covid 19 more than Nick Watney" was probably the most classless thing that Sergio has either said or done.

The sad thing about this most insensitive of comments IMO is that I think Sergio doesn't give a damn about whatever slack will come his way. A sad individual these days is Sergio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

I don’t think Sergio meant other golfers just people in general who aren’t in any way careful or following guidelines such as those gathering in huge numbers at beeches, parks, etc.
    Not a big Sergio fan but for once I actually think the comment wasn’t meant in the way it’s being portrayed

big_drive wrote:
    I don’t think Sergio meant other golfers just people in general who aren’t in any way careful or following guidelines such as those gathering in huge numbers at beeches, parks, etc. Not a big Sergio fan but for once I actually think the comment wasn’t meant in the way it’s being portrayed
    Not a Sergio fan either but I'm with you. I don't see anything wrong with what he said.

For all the petulance and the lack of humility he shows, Sergio's comments that "others deserved covid 19 more than Nick Watney" was probably the most classless thing that Sergio has either said or done.

The sad thing about this most insensitive of comments IMO is that I think Sergio doesn't give a damn about whatever slack will come his way. A sad individual these days is Sergio.

The sad thing is actually getting upset about what he said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

gypsy79 wrote: »
    They are not suited to his game
    How are you the #1 golfer in the world but have courses that don't suit you?:confused:

What bits dont suit him? Hitting fairways, greens and holing putts?:rolleyes:

The sad thing is actually getting upset about what he said

Me getting upset over Sergio. Ha!. Sergio is a player that I've no time for whatsoever, ever since his bitterness over Paddy winning the Open in 2007. He showed such lack of professionalism and acknowledgement over a fellow European winning a major, it was extraordinarily bad form even if he let a big lead slip during that championship at Carnoustie.

He is just not a very pleasant individual at all, as evident in Saudi Arabia last year. For a man who is in his forties now, he really has shown no signs of mellowing and that to me for a player of his standing in the game, is most disappointing but not surprising when you look deep down at the character or the lack of 're Sergio. But please don't be putting words into my mouth about "getting upset" about Sergio. I fundamentally disagree with what you said AdamD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Harrington doesnt/didnt like him
    that tells allot

I still cant help but like the little brat
    Think he will go well this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

GreeBo wrote: »
    How are you the #1 golfer in the world but have courses that don't suit you?:confused:

What bits dont suit him? Hitting fairways, greens and holing putts?:rolleyes:

Surely you understand that certain courses suit some players better than others? I assume you are just trying to be unnecessarily awkward as usual

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Surely you understand that certain courses suit some players better than others? I assume you are just trying to be unnecessarily awkward as usual

Thanks for the personal attack.

No, I happen to believe that if you are the best in the world at something, courses don't need to suit you.

Any chance you might answer the questions I posed? i.e. what about those courses didn't suit him? Golf is a pretty simple game, you try to get a ball into a hole 18 times. It's like saying that a certain soccer pitch doesn't suit a player, I franky think it's laughable.
    Sure you might not play your best there, but you shouldn't struggle on any course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

No, I happen to believe that if you are the best in the world at something, courses don't need to suit you.

Any chance you might answer the questions I posed? i.e. what about those courses didn't suit him? Golf is a pretty simple game, you try to get a ball into a hole 18 times. It's like saying that a certain soccer pitch doesn't suit a player, I franky think it's laughable.
    Sure you might not play your best there, but you shouldn't struggle on any course.

Not soccer per say but I know a fella who has won multiple munster hurling championships and no all-irelands. He put it down to the fact that the pitch in Croke Park is 10 yards shorter than thurles, the turf is different and oddly the pitch slopes to each side for drainage purposes. So pitches do matter.

willabur wrote: »
    Not soccer per say but I know a fella who has won multiple munster hurling championships and no all-irelands. He put it down to the fact that the pitch in Croke Park is 10 yards shorter than thurles, the turf is different and oddly the pitch slopes to each side for drainage purposes. So pitches do matter.
    Well firstly hurling is a team sport and secondly its hardly surprising that someone doesn't label themselves a choker, instead blaming the pitch.

What are the specific characteristics of the multitude of players who have won all irelands @ Croke Park, do they have one leg longer than the other perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

willabur wrote:

The opposition might have a bit more to do with it than the length or camber of the pitch.

All pro golfers pick and choose between the events and courses they play. McIlroy doesn't like (or usually play) Harbour Town. He was only there this time because the schedule was messed up.

Right, but ask the pros or the analysts and they will say certain courses suit certain players. Its just fact.

And your bit in bold is ludricrous, golf courses vary infinitely more than football pitches and even STILL football teams alter their pitches to suit them - wet / dry, grass long / short, making the pitch as wide or narrow as possible within the rules.

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Harrington doesnt/didnt like him
    that tells allot

I still cant help but like the little brat
    Think he will go well this week

Don't think this is the case, I think Harrington said in an interview before that the beef between the two of them was all in the media. some journalist mis-quoted Harrington. I could be wrong though.

Right, but ask the pros or the analysts and they will say certain courses suit certain players. Its just fact.

And your bit in bold is ludricrous, golf courses vary infinitely more than football pitches and even STILL football teams alter their pitches to suit them - wet / dry, grass long / short, making the pitch as wide or narrow as possible within the rules.

Those are retrospective "facts", you need to look at cause an effect.

Courses vary, but the requirements on the player are the same.

I'll try again, can you give examples of what about a course wouldn't suit a player such as McIlroy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Don't think this is the case, I think Harrington said in an interview before that the beef between the two of them was all in the media. some journalist mis-quoted Harrington. I could be wrong though.

Harrington did say a few times that there was tension between them for quite a while but that they're back on good terms again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Well firstly hurling is a team sport and secondly its hardly surprising that someone doesn't label themselves a choker, instead blaming the pitch.

What are the specific characteristics of the multitude of players who have won all irelands @ Croke Park, do they have one leg longer than the other perhaps?

Hurling is a team sport but like every team sport its made up of individuals. If the individual is more comfortable playing in a more open field then of course there is going to be different conditions which some players will adapt better to than others. Teams that play under those conditions more often than others will be naturally better prepared for it along with all the other reasons of raw talent and great management

Your point is in relation to a soccer pitch not suiting a player. I'm just pointing out that from my point of view it totally makes sense for a player to play better on one pitch than another for a multitude of reasons. The entire history of sporting contest has proved this

Using the word choker is incredibly harsh btw

Greebo at it again, comparing the vast variation of golf courses to football pitches. My lord will it ever end.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Greebo at it again, comparing the vast variation of golf courses to football pitches. My lord will it ever end.

Still waiting on examples of what doesn't suit him, take your time, its clearly a tough point to back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

qwabercd wrote: »
    Harrington did say a few times that there was tension between them for quite a while but that they're back on good terms again.

& Noted that they had completely different characteristics & viewpoints in life!
    There was definitely ill feeling. Sergio got over it when he finally won a Major.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/the-open-2013-handbrake-turn-by-padraig-harrington-drives-sergio-garcia-to-distraction-8723197.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

GreeBo wrote:
    Still waiting on examples of what doesn't suit him, take your time, its clearly a tough point to back up.

He came 41st, in his first time playing it since 2009 (when he finished 51st.)

Something tells me he has his reasons

Ever hear of the phrase horses for courses? Same logic applies here. I have no need to give you examples, as your argument is ridiculous. Of course certain courses suit some players over others depending on their style of game and their strengths.

To say otherwise makes me think you are on the wind up once again.

• Advertisement

Sources have confirmed there are multiple positive tests for COVID-19 on the PGA Tour, in addition to the one reported earlier this morning.

From Brian wacker on twitter. Usually very reliable.

Let the fun begin. See how the tour handles this. It was a farcical bubble they had invented

Edit: Brooks has to WD as his caddie has Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Looks like the tour will be cancelled tonight 7.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

This absolutely sucks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya - Commissioner is speaking at 7pm.

Generally PGA are quick to update their entrants for tournaments but have held off here on Koepka which would lean me thinking they’ll put this one off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement