Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

eagle eye wrote: »
    No course really suite a bad putter. McIlroy should have shot 59 or 60 today. He missed two putts inside 10 feet, another two inside fifteen and three more hours inside of twenty.

Realistically, how many of them do you expect him to make? 1? 2? I've never heard someone say "he *missed* a putt inside twenty feet". Once you go beyond 6 feet, the 1-putt percentage drops off a cliff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

bren2001 wrote: »
    Realistically, how many of them do you expect him to make? 1? 2? I've never heard someone say "he *missed* a putt inside twenty feet". Once you go beyond 6 feet, the 1-putt percentage drops off a cliff.

Think I read before that 7.5 feet is the 50:50 range on the PGA Tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Do people think pros are knocking in 10 footers like they are tap ins I've heard it all now.

10 foot putts are about in the 4 in 10 range on PGA tour
    8 foot is about 5/10 and so on.

Missing a couple of 10 footers does not make you a bad putter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

NDWC wrote: »
    McIlroy could win this by 10 from here but I wouldn't be shocked either if he finished 50th. He's exciting to watch if nothing else
    Maybe the course won't suit him over the weekend...

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You should get in touch with the world number one golfer, to provide him with this advice.

That says far more about him than it says about me.
    The fact that he hasn't figured this out by now tells you all you need to know about his mental game.
    He doesnt have one.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for someone to give an example of why harbour town doesn't suit him... Jump in any time.

• Advertisement

Shane had a nice round today great to see. Hopefully he can continue it into the weekend. Some other nice scores out there from Sergio who is hitting the ball as good as ever and a few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Spieth has the toughest mental game out there of the top lads Id say of the younger crew, Tiger possibly still the best though. Rory the weakest of the top 20 no contest. Sergio in the same bracket. Its well Rory got the first major monkey off his back early, or it could have really become a thing.

GreeBo wrote: »
    That says far more about him than it says about me.
    The fact that he hasn't figured this out by now tells you all you need to know about his mental game.
    He doesnt have one.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for someone to give an example of why harbour town doesn't suit him... Jump in any time.

World number one has no mental game.

Are you ok?

World number one has no mental game.

Are you ok?

Not really. When the game is a hundred percent, no one can touch him and he wins. When its less than that, he folds too easily, and gets stroppy that that magic isnt there and cant control it. When he's game is off, he has himself beat in his own head before he even gets out of the traps like last year at Portrush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Rory to fade away on Sunday. Hope he proves me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Perception really is a big thing, Speith had just as big a masters blowout as Rory, possibly even worse. His career has been in a bad way for a couple of years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

First Up wrote:
    Commentator said it was a really bad 63.

bren2001 wrote:

Bubbaclaus wrote:
    Think I read before that 7.5 feet is the 50:50 range on the PGA Tour.

BoldReason wrote:
    Do people think pros are knocking in 10 footers like they are tap ins I've heard it all now.

The first quoted post is what the commentators agreed on and what I said early during his round and after his round.

The first quoted post is what the commentators agreed on and what I said early during his round and after his round.

Fair enough but that doesn't make it true. He was almost exactly average according to strokes gained. Which seems about right from what I watched. Not good or bad. He didn't miss anything woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

BoldReason wrote: »
    Fair enough but that doesn't make it true. He was almost exactly average according to strokes gained. Which seems about right from what I watched. Not good or bad. He didn't miss anything woeful.

I rate my own putting performance as good when I make everything I should, plus a couple that I probably shouldn't. Its by far the most variable part of anyone's game, including the pro's.

Hovland going well so far this week. Would be cool to see him get a win under his belt early on. Hopefully he will be on the Ryder Cup team, for whenever that ends up happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Hovland going well so far this week. Would be cool to see him get a win under his belt early on. Hopefully he will be on the Ryder Cup team, for whenever that ends up happening.

He does already have a PGA Tour win.

He does already have a PGA Tour win.

True, had forgotten about that. A non opposite field event then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

2 more positive tests

Remind me wrote: »
    2 more positive tests

No WD on the leaderboard yet. I wonder who it is.

No WD on the leaderboard yet. I wonder who it is.

Haven't seen names, journalists on twitter reporting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Collin Morikawa is going to miss the cut, first time in his career

Cantalay is 1 of the players, playing with Shane. That's champ and Cantalay who shane has played with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Collin Morikawa is going to miss the cut, first time in his career

23 straight without a missed cut, good going, Matt Fitz onto 21 without missing a cut if he makes it through.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Remind me wrote: »
    Cantalay is 1 of the players, playing with Shane. That's champ and Cantalay who shane has played with

The journalists reporting it was cantlay now saying its not him but Denny McCarthy

PGA tour had tweeted it as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Matt Wallace playing on his own!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

This is surely going to cause trouble for the PGA. I wouldn't want to be paired with Wallace tomorrow and God knows who else is infected at this stage from the practice range etc.

Things will get interesting if people who are around the lead start getting it and having to withdraw during the weekend at an event. Would start affecting the integrity of tournaments.

If one of the top players get it then the PGA may be forced to take action.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Positive tests are a very low number, theres continuous testing in place. Only so much the pga tour can do to prevent it spreading amongst its members

• Advertisement

If one of the top players get it then the PGA may be forced to take action.

What ? As long as its names people dont know, its carry on like ? What would have them take action ? A wgr top 20 player ? A major winner ? Someone on the first page of the leaderbord ?

Bryson is taking the piss with his driving. It’s ridiculous. Not only the distance but his accuracy hasn’t suffered at all

Really is time for action. Its just not even that good. As good as driving a 389 yards hole is, the problem is its just making a mess of the game. Max distance of 300 yards roll and all has to come in. Even if that means the rest of us are back to 190 yards then at least the game makes sense again. Im really getting sick of this **** now. What do they want, 750 yard par 5s to make such a thing as a par 5 exist again? Its good for no one.

Bryson is taking the piss with his driving. It’s ridiculous. Not only the distance but his accuracy hasn’t suffered at all

In fairness, Rory ain’t too far behind him in the distance stakes. Has hit a number around 340 today. For a lad who is 5 10 and he hits it ridiculously far.

Ya ridiculous is the word.

What ? As long as its names people dont know, its carry on like ? What would have them take action ? A wgr top 20 player ? A major winner ? Someone on the first page of the leaderbord ?

Reckon a top 20

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

That 15th is such a good hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Mickelson rolling back the years here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This whole drop thing is disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

That first drop wasn't on the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

That first drop wasn't on the path.

But was within one club length of a reference point. Phils tee marker was the limit of where he could drop it. It rolled outside that towards the path.

https://www.fsga.org/sections/content/eRevision---Rules---120114/554

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Panrich wrote: »
    But was within one club length of a reference point. Phils tee marker was the limit of where he could drop it. It rolled outside that towards the path.

https://www.fsga.org/sections/content/eRevision---Rules---120114/554

You're right, I had the path in my head but it was the marker was the deciding factor.

Surprised to see Justin Thomas miss the cut by 6 shots. Had a horrendous 2 days putting.

Surprised to see Justin Thomas miss the cut by 6 shots. Had a horrendous 2 days putting.

Course didn't suit him..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

I see tee times early today due to storms later . Rory teeing off soon. Pity, was looking forward to watching it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Called using the rules to your advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Some turnaround in Brendon Todd career . He’s already won a few times on the pga tour this season . Joint top

Course didn't suit him..

They didn't suit him either day, which is strange.

Brain fart from DJ, have to ask where the caddy was!

Not to mention #shankwatch for Mr Todd.

What's that thing they talk about. Bouncebackability. Great putt there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement