Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Can't believe fluff is 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

About time we got a 59 this year. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

First time I got my kid up to watch him putt it out.
    Reminds me of my dad getting us up to watch Ali.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

There has been a few close calls this year but that's the first live 59 I've seen. There has been 6 in PGA history and none as yet on the European Tour. Rory was 18 shots worse today for a single round... just to add salt to his wounds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

fantastic round.

• Advertisement

Apparently Tiger has just been given a 2 stroke penalty because his ball rotated slightly and someone called it in. Tiger said the ball just oscillated. I absolutely detest how these knobs are allowed to call in like that. I'm not sure was it brought to Tiger's attention before he signed for his round... if not, another masters scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Well done gentleman jim. Just watching the recording. Delighted for him.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Apparently Tiger has just been given a 2 stroke penalty because his ball rotated slightly and someone called it in. Tiger said the ball just oscillated. I absolutely detest how these knobs are allowed to call in like that. I'm not sure was it brought to Tiger's attention before he signed for his round... if not, another masters scenario.

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2013/09/video-tiger-slapped-with-2-shot-penalty-for-shifting-golf-ball-while-removing-a-twig.html

It does look to move ever ever so slightly. Thankfully Furyks 59 is taking the attention away from this and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Well played Jim.... but can he do it on a wet cold Sunday morning in a monthly medal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

The 59 was fantastic, he got really twitchy in the last five I didn't think he had a chance after the bogey.

In context I once shot 159 so he's really good at golf :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

m r c wrote: »
    The 59 was fantastic, he got really twitchy in the last five I didn't think he had a chance after the bogey.

In context I once shot 159 so he's really good at golf :-)

:) Brilliant.

Twitchy as in nervous over his putting?
    That's just his putting routine, he has been doing that for some time now.
    Line up, stand over, walk away, line up, stand over, then putt.
    I'm sure the nerves were huge but I thought he did a great job of staying calm, but that putting routine could confuse an onlooker that wasn't familiar with it that he was sh1tting it.

You probably finished your 159 round quicker than he did his 59 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭manafana

amazing by furyk and to recover from having a bogey thrown in too, a plan shoot at 18 but was just a magic iron with so much pressure on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Never thought Furyk would have a 59 in him at this stage in his career, fair dues to him....amazing round considering next best was 65!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Russman

YayaBanana wrote: »
    http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2013/09/video-tiger-slapped-with-2-shot-penalty-for-shifting-golf-ball-while-removing-a-twig.html

It does look to move ever ever so slightly. Thankfully Furyks 59 is taking the attention away from this and rightly so.

First time I've seen this, but, for me, when it moves at around 7 secs in, its definitely not an oscillation IMO. This one's blatant and dangerously close to the C word.

Russman wrote: »
    This one's blatant and dangerously close to the C word.

That's erring on the side of harsh in my opinion. He could well have thought it only oscillated and when he released the twig, the ball returned to it's original position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

brilliant 61 from the KUCH...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

That's erring on the side of harsh in my opinion. He could well have thought it only oscillated and when he released the twig, the ball returned to it's original position.
    Lol he's erring on the side of sitting on the fence unlike Woods who clearly looked like someone trying to cheat again!, i.e the ball moved and came to rest in a different place, it did not oscillate and Woods would have had a better view of that than anyone else in that situation.
    Imo his guilt is compounded by not looking for a ruling there and then, instead he choose to ignore it and hoped it would go unseen and therefore get away with it.
    It's becoming par for the course for that man of late, which is a shame as he doesn't really need to do it.

david-k wrote: »
    It's becoming par for the course for that man of late, which is a shame as he doesn't really need to do it.

Just to clarify - you're saying that Tiger cheating is becoming par for the course for him?

If so, please elaborate on which tournaments you are talking about? And if your first choice is the Masters, you can scratch that off the list. It wasn't cheating - it was a brain fart. If it was intentional cheating, he would not have come to the press straight after his round and stated "I played the ball 2 yards further back".

So where are all these other examples you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Fierce unlucky from Rose there, hit his ball with a divot taken during a practice swing - 1 shot penalty....

Speaking of brain farts.... Justin Rose... ouch! :eek: Go and replace that ball before it's a 2 stroke penalty.

For anyone who didn't see it... he was taking a practice swing about 5 yards behind his ball, took a massive divot and it proceeded to strike his ball up in front and move it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Fierce unlucky from Rose there, hit his ball with a divot taken during a practice swing - 1 shot penalty....

thats not bad luck, its stupidity!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Russman wrote: »
    First time I've seen this, but, for me, when it moves at around 7 secs in, its definitely not an oscillation IMO. This one's blatant and dangerously close to the C word.

I agree, he saw it move, probably thought the camera wasn't picking it up, and carried on as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Just to clarify - you're saying that Tiger cheating is becoming par for the course for him?

If so, please elaborate on which tournaments you are talking about? And if your first choice is the Masters, you can scratch that off the list. It wasn't cheating - it was a brain fart. If it was intentional cheating, he would not have come to the press straight after his round and stated "I played the ball 2 yards further back".

Ask Elin when he first cheated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

If he had black shoes on he might have gone undetected under there. Might've forgotten he had his shoes on in all fairness.

The PGA Tour has got to take action with these idiots shouting on the course. During Garcias swing some idiot shout "go Tiger", made him duff it it, ridiculous that its gone this far. Players like Keegan Bradley are worse for for egging them on, seen he has bababooey or whatever it is stamped on the back of his wedges. There are enough marshals there. Any shouting get them pointed out and kicked out. After a couple weeks that will be the end of it. Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

That's gas, Woods gets a two shot penalty and you maintain he's innocent, gotta love blind loyalty.

david-k wrote: »
    That's gas, Woods gets a two shot penalty and you maintain he's innocent, gotta love blind loyalty.

Think of my last post as your junior cert exam question.. you did make an attempt to answer so you get a few marks. But you are going to actually have to answer the question to pass.

Now... please elaborate on how cheating is par for the course for Woods now? Or was that just uneducated verbal tripe?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

Think of my last post as your junior cert exam question.. you did make an attempt to answer so you get a few marks. But you are going to actually have to answer the question to pass.

Now... please elaborate on how cheating is par for the course for Woods now? Or was that just uneducated verbal tripe?

Ok save for his 'brainfart' at the Masters.
    We have his allocation of a free drop for himself for an embedded ball in SAND in Abu Dhabi
    And his ridiculous point of entry judgement from a red Hazard at thePlayers Championship.(gained a good 50 + yds with that one)!!
    Now we have another fundamental rule of not moving your ball while removing loose impediments .
    As said before, he saw it close up, the ball dropped 1/2 inch down to the left.
    Whenever we try to gingerly move a twig from near your ball, the eyes are fixed on the ball to check for movement, and he knew well that that ball dropped!!
    Seriously I know we have the Tiger knockers and also the blind faithful on here.
    But surely now 4 separate issues in the very recent past is not healthy.
    Granted he was penalised albeit retrospectivey for 50 % of these infringements , but my point is he is unlikely to call a penalty on himself ala Brian Davis, and due to his incredible winning mentality is more likely to try and gain an advantage if he can.
    Personally I think we need more cameras on him after this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

Ok save for his 'brainfart' at the Masters.
    We have his allocation of a free drop for himself for an embedded ball in SAND in Abu Dhabi
    And his ridiculous point of entry judgement from a red Hazard at thePlayers Championship.(gained a good 50 + yds with that one)!!
    Now we have another fundamental rule of not moving your ball while removing loose impediments .
    Whenever we try to gingerly move a twig from near your ball, the eyes are fixed on the ball to check for movement, and he knew well that that ball dropped!!
    Seriously I know we have the Tiger knockers and also the blind faithful on here.
    But surely now 4 separate issues in the very recent past is not healthy.
    Granted he was penalised albeit retrospectivey for 50 % of these infringements , but my point is he is unlikely to call a penalty on himself ala Brian Davis, and due to his incredible winning mentality is more likely to try and gain an advantage if he can.
    Personally I think we need more cameras on him after this :)

Correction he was penalised retrospectively for 75 % of them,
    Even though the Masters one was still fudged in his favour!!

• Advertisement

I love the way people think that when posters defend posts they disagree with, they are "the blind faithful". I certainly am not, I just like to call people out on their bull.

Ok - Abu Dhabi - his playing partner agreed that the ball was embedded. An error of judgement - doesn't make him a cheat.

The drop at the players - yes, it looked like the wrong position on camera but again, Tiger's playing partner agreed on the line of entry over the hazard and I think a marshal indicated it to be the approximate area also.

Correction he was penalised retrospectively for 75 % of them,
    Even though the Masters one was still fudged in his favour!!

Fudged in his favour? There was a rule put in place to stop harsh retrospective disqualifications - hardly makes him a cheat. If you don't agree with it - place the blame on the R&A, not Tiger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement