Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Nice touch from Rose there, congratulating him on the 18th green.

Fair play to stenson, great week .. hopefully a bucket load of confidence now for next year and for the ryder cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Well done Henrik!!!
    Here's hoping he tears it up at the next Ryder Cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Guys, why are you seeing his success from the perspective of what Stenson can do for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

Almaviva wrote: »
    Guys, why are you seeing his success from the perspective of what Stenson can do for you ?

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

In fairness, the perspective of what he can do for them is an aside from the well wishes.

What's the problem with it anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I'm thrilled to see him get such a big win. Always thought he was a great character on/off the course. He's no saint, he's had his tantrums, and clubheads have suffered as a consequence, but unlike say Garcia, he doesn't come off as bitter about things, and carry them around. Sure he broke a club last week, and comes out and plays a flawless front 9 four days in a row.

As for wanting him to tear it up in Gleneagles, that's not a selfish motive. The Ryder Cup takes the 12 best Europeans, so making the team would be a reward for his good season this year, one well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Stenson up to no.4 in the WR, having been down as low as 230.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The list is out for the Player of the Year and Rookie of the year

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/09/23/player-of-the-year.html

PLayer of the year has to be Tiger for me - Money list leader, won 5 events - 8 top 10's

Rookie of the year is Jordan Spieth and it isn't even close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

^^ +1 on both of the above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

My idea of Player of the Year is not someone who crumbles in the majors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I concur with Tiger and Jordan but would not be surprised if Phil wins...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Well how about telling us who your nomination is? Should it be a player who has won 1 major and nothing else?

Personally I think your argument is ridiculous. I also think it's silly to ignore 5 PGA Tour wins in a season merely because the tournament doesn't have the status of a "major".

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭WSobchak95

If Scott had won the Tour Championship and FedEx Cup then it might have been a contest for POTY but with wins at two WGC events, the Players and two other big events Woods is a shoe-in. Spieth is obviously going to win Rookie of the Year, he's been so damn consistent. Also Woods finished T4 at the Masters and T6 at the Open Championship

No contest for rookie of the year. Hard to go against Tiger for player of the year, but recent form would favour Stenson. If he was American, he might have a chance, but I think he will probably finish 3rd behind Tiger and Phil.

The players championship has a stronger field than any of the four majors

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Well how about telling us who your nomination is? Should it be a player who has won 1 major and nothing else?

Personally I think your argument is ridiculous. I also think it's silly to ignore 5 PGA Tour wins in a season merely because the tournament doesn't have the status of a "major".

Logically the winner should always be whoever amasses most points during the year, and okay that's Tiger. But as anyone with half a brain understands, Tiger measures his year purely by the majors and so this season was a failure, which even his worshipping fanboys should accept.

I would give it to Scott for winning 1 and going close in two others, and could have won the Fedex also only for illness.

The players championship has a stronger field than any of the four majors

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

I had a look at the event rating (which is based on the position in the world rankings of those playing in the tournament) for each of this yaer's majors and the Players Championship.

The ratings are as follows:

Masters 791
    Players 824
    US Open 838
    The Open 878
    US PGA 915

As usual, the US PGA has the highest rating because of the number of players and because the top 100 in the OWGR are all invited while the Masters has the lowest because of the smaller field. But the Players has the lowest rating of the other 4 events.

By the way, I still think Tiger deserves player of the year. But he does appear to have developed something of a complex when it comes to playing in the majors.

abff wrote: »
    How do you arrive at that conclusion?

I had a look at the event rating (which is based on the position in the world rankings of those playing in the tournament) for each of this yaer's majors and the Players Championship.

The ratings are as follows:

Masters 791
    Players 824
    US Open 838
    The Open 878
    US PGA 915

As usual, the US PGA has the highest rating because of the number of players and because the top 100 in the OWGR are all invited while the Masters has the lowest because of the smaller field. But the Players has the lowest rating of the other 4 events.

By the way, I still think Tiger deserves player of the year. But he does appear to have developed something of a complex when it comes to playing in the majors.

I think i might have mixed up the Players and the PGA - oops!

Logically the winner should always be whoever amasses most points during the year, and okay that's Tiger. But as anyone with half a brain understands, Tiger measures his year purely by the majors and so this season was a failure, which even his worshipping fanboys should accept.

I would give it to Scott for winning 1 and going close in two others, and could have won the Fedex also only for illness.

I really hope you aren't suggesting posters here are "fanboys" simply because they are making a point?

Anyway, it doesn't matter if woods is disappointed by not winning any majors this year. This is the award for player of the year and most of his peers have already said it should be Tiger.

Scott has had a great year but look at the following visual of how his year has been compared to Tiger's. Numbers simply don't lie.

Tigerstats_zpsc9ee9f32.jpg

Scottstats_zpsebe4b0b3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Please try to post in a more civil manner.

So your argument is that by the standards of everyone else Tiger is the best, but he shouldnt win because he has higher expectations of himself?
    Sorry but I dont see the logic there at all...Think of the reverse, a guy with lower expectations should win because he happened to get a top 10 when all he was hoping for was to keep his card...clearly that wouldnt happen so why should the reverse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

GreeBo wrote: »
    Please try to post in a more civil manner.

So your argument is that by the standards of everyone else Tiger is the best, but he shouldnt win because he has higher expectations of himself?
    Sorry but I dont see the logic there at all...Think of the reverse, a guy with lower expectations should win because he happened to get a top 10 when all he was hoping for was to keep his card...clearly that wouldnt happen so why should the reverse?

What he suggests is like not giving a footballer the player of the year award because he is so good he is just expected to be great but instead giving it to the lad who tried his best.

That's what the club man of the year trophy is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

This is the award for player of the year and most of his peers have already said it should be Tiger.

Scott has had a great year but look at the following visual of how his year has been compared to Tiger's. Numbers simply don't lie.

Numbers don't lie but why is there a vote for this so?
    If it was based on numbers (world ranking points or whatnot) then we would already know the Player of the Year wouldn't we, no need to ask the players to vote. No discussion.

I think that these awards are based on numbers combined with stories, emotions, ups, downs, and giving different weights to different achievements by different people

Indeed, on a normal year different factors, such as those you listed above, come into play when players have had equally good years.

But when the leading golfer has had 5 victories and the next best only has 2, there is no debate and those factors are defunct in my opinion.

Think Graham DeLaet summed it up nicely for me...

"Is there really even an argument about why Tiger shouldn't be POY? Guaranteed that almost every player votes that way. He won The Players +4"

Indeed they don't :

scter_zps9fab212c.jpg

'Nuff said.

And every golfer on the planet would swap 5 tour victories for one major, never mind Woods.

I think you're missing the point mickmackey1 - it's the award for the player of the year, not player of the majors. But you seem to have your own agenda... so to each their own :)

you seem to have your own agenda...

Nope, merely reflecting Tiger's agenda... POTY is a plastic gong anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Twix44

Tiger's surely a shoe in. If anyone else won 5 times in one season it would be heralded as groundbreaking stuff.

Hardly groundbreaking, think Tiger had 8 victories in a year a few years back, Vijay close to that too

6 victories in 2009, 7 in 2007, 8 in 2006 and 9 in 2000 (and 4 seconds!).
    Great summary of his seasons here in the pgatour website.

Good review of Tiger's 2013 season here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Jason dufner is my vote. Also for waggle of the year. Won the pga with style attacking every pin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement