Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Tiger is also well aware that he wouldn't have much hope of winning a major if he played 4 events a year, hes trying to get the balance right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Brooks calls it as it us. Fair play... not afraid of the PGA Tour trying to silence his views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

What he say? cant view in work..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Your wrong in this case. Sky have the CBS feed. It’s very well known. They have there own commentary team alright but not the coverage. Sometimes you will notice the coverage goes to the cbs booth. No chance sky would have this many ads in the final round golf coverage with this tight leaderboard.

Just to go back to the discussion from the coverage on Sunday. It was torn apart all over the internet and the golfing public. And now the lads at nolayingup had a cracking podcast with Peter Kostis regarding coverage. The man just got let go by cbs.

Mad story about when he failed to mention all about Fedex cup points that this lad who had just one for the first time and got an invite to the masters. He got a call from the tour advising not to do that again and fedex must always come first.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,307 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

benny79 wrote:
    What he say? cant view in work..
    He said that Patrick was cheating in the bunker, said there is more if it going on like people in deep rough taking out a wood, flattening grass and then deciding to use an iron instead after they've flattened the grass.
    He said he bit his tongue in the past but with his stature in the game now that he won't bite his tongue again.
    I'm a huge fan of Brooks and it's things like this that make him so great along with his play in the majors of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

eagle eye wrote: »
    He said that Patrick was cheating in the bunker, said there is more if it going on like people in deep rough taking out a wood, flattening grass and then deciding to use an iron instead after they've flattened the grass.
    He said he bit his tongue in the past but with his stature in the game now that he won't bite his tongue again.
    I'm a huge fan of Brooks and it's things like this that make him so great along with his play in the majors of course.

So why hasn't he said anything about cheating in the last 3 years? Not sure I credit what he is saying tbh. I hope it's true, but I doubt it.

GreeBo wrote:
    So why hasn't he said anything about cheating in the last 3 years? Not sure I credit what he is saying tbh. I hope it's true, but I doubt it.
    He said he didn't feel in a position to call it. He said that it's hard to prove too. He said given his stature in the game now thatbl he isn't going to bite his tongue anymore.
    The guy is a straight talker and I believe he means it. He has multiple majors now so he is a much bigger name in the game.
    Like if anybody else was asked about Reed they'd say you'll have to ask Patrick that be or something along those lines. He said straight out that Reed was cheating.

He said he didn't feel in a position to call it. He said that it's hard to prove too. He said given his stature in the game now thatbl he isn't going to bite his tongue anymore.
    The guy is a straight talker and I believe he means it. He has multiple majors now so he is a much bigger name in the game.
    Like if anybody else was asked about Reed they'd say you'll have to ask Patrick that be or something along those lines. He said straight out that Reed was cheating.

Yeah, but why hasnt he gone to the PGA and said "I saw X cheating today"?
    He claims to have seen big name players do it, he has had status for 3 years now, yet he hasnt brought it up?

Is he really saying that before he was famous he saw people doing it all the time but now that he is famous he hasnt seen anyone cheat?

That seems very convenient to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah, but why hasnt he gone to the PGA and said "I saw X cheating today"?
    He claims to have seen big name players do it, he has had status for 3 years now, yet he hasnt brought it up?

Is he really saying that before he was famous he saw people doing it all the time but now that he is famous he hasnt seen anyone cheat?

That seems very convenient to me.

He says in the exact same interview you can't prove it unless caught on camera

AdamD wrote: »
    He says in the exact same interview you can't prove it unless caught on camera

Don't have to prove it to bring it up. Proving it is the responsibility of the governing body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Peter Kostis says Reed has done it many of times. One time the grass was hammered down that by the time he was taking his shot he could see callaway which he couldn't do at first. Plenty of pro's cheap intentionally and if people think not then they are naïve. One Kostis mention was standing on spike marks before rule change

GreeBo wrote:
    Yeah, but why hasnt he gone to the PGA and said "I saw X cheating today"? He claims to have seen big name players do it, he has had status for 3 years now, yet he hasnt brought it up?
    He probably felt he wasn't a big enough name to be taken seriously. He may have wanted to discuss it with fellow pros who don't do it and see if he's get backing from them if it went viral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

He probably felt he wasn't a big enough name to be taken seriously. He may have wanted to discuss it with fellow pros who don't do it and see if he's get backing from them if it went viral.

That seems fair enough to me.

He effectively put himself first and now that he is in the position as one of the best players and biggest stars of the game, he probably feels an increased level of responsibility to address issues.

I think he should be commended, he could have as easily let it lie but he's addressing it now in effort to combat the issue.

Always good to see the athlete use his platform for the better of the game.

I can totally understand that POV maybe 5 years ago, but he has been a major winner for 3 years now. And a multi-major winner & world #1 golfer for over a year.
    If its a prevalent as he claims, I would have expected him to witness some over the last 18 months?

/dont get me wrong, I'm very happy that he called it out, but its very easy to say you are going to speak out in an interview and then just settle back and do nothing.

GreeBo wrote:
    /dont get me wrong, I'm very happy that he called it out, but its very easy to say you are going to speak out in an interview and then just settle back and do nothing.
    Yeah but most of the players do not speak out and wouldn't dare to lable Patrick Reed a chest. In fact I'd say almost all the rest of them.
    He has done that and his open announcement that he will report it is a warning to anybody who does do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It must be quite awkward to say someone has cheated considering you may have to play in a three or two ball with them

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    It must be quite awkward to say someone has cheated considering you may have to play in a three or two ball with them

They might be a good laugh as a Ryder Cup pairing.

Dr. Bre wrote: »

I guess if someone has cheated you probably don't care what they think of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You have your caddy so you dont need to interact with them except for first tee and 18th green

Morikawa is worth keeping an eye on. Apparently obtained a top 50 ranking quicker than Speith & McIlroy. I'd guess that's from the time he obtained his tour card.

Not too many events so far this year but currently ranked 9th T2G. I expect he'll go close a couple of times this year.

• Advertisement

Morikawa is worth keeping an eye on. Apparently obtained a top 50 ranking quicker than Speith & McIlroy. I'd guess that's from the time he obtained his tour card.
    That college class is special.Hivland playing in Puerto Rico this week desperately looking for the win as both Morikawa and Woolf already have one apiece.
    There is another member of that class to watch out for too, his name is Brandon Wu. He waited to play in the Walker Cup before turning pro. He is out of Stanford where their great golfers have had surnames beginning with W, that's Tom Watson and Tiger Woods.

That college class is special.Hivland playing in Puerto Rico this week desperately looking for the win as both Morikawa and Woolf already have one apiece.
    There is another member of that class to watch out for too, his name is Brandon Wu. He waited to play in the Walker Cup before turning pro. He is out of Stanford where their great golfers have had surnames beginning with W, that's Tom Watson and Tiger Woods.

I think you could see 4 solid Top 20 calibre players in that group.

Hovland probably has the highest ceiling but Wolff is box office given the distance and the mechanics, I just question the longevity.
    I can envisage a scenario where he gets pissed off with Gankas, goes to someone like Claude and they rebuild the whole thing.

Like you said, top quality class.

Decent weekend ahead now, a few interesting stories.

Matsuyama following up some cracking T2G stats from last week.

Reed looking motivated or at least unfazed by the Koepka issue.

Bryson-as much as others hate him- looking like the extra distance is helping.

Not to mention JT & Tyrell Hatton on the road back to their respective bests.

Also Rory with a tough day but decent recovery in the end.

All in all, the makings of a good weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rahm on a roll, 6 birdies in 7.

Hole in one on 17!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Holy **** Job Rahm. Hole in one to get to 19 under for his round.

Amazing stuff

Holy **** Job Rahm. Hole in one to get to 19 under for his round.

Amazing stuff

19 under, unbelievable ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Wow rahm !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

19 under, unbelievable

It is unbelievable because he is ten under for the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Rahm, Reed & Bryson.

Can’t stand any of them.

• Advertisement

JT usually unstoppable in these situations, he's played some savage stuff so far. Still wouldn't rule out the likes of Rahmbo or Rory but they're seriously up against it. Should be interesting.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement