Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Surprising enough news that Tiger looks like he is skipping the Arnold Palmer tournament next week.

The scene of some of his greatest moments and victories. He didn’t look right physically to me when he played a couple of weeks ago so not sure all is right with him.

Felt his major was a one hit final wonder at the time.

I cant see him win another to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Surprising enough news that Tiger looks like he is skipping the Arnold Palmer tournament next week.

The scene of some of his greatest moments and victories. He didn’t look right physically to me when he played a couple of weeks ago so not sure all is right with him.

Didn't he skip it last year too? Although I see he apparently has a stiff back, hopefully nothing serious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Brooks missed the cut

I think his injury is/was a lot more serious than they let on

So rare to see him miss a cut, shows how good he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Did you watch his game at the President's Cup a few months back? It was phenomenal. His body is obviously hurting but silly to count him out just yet.

It's all about the majors for him now and playing the least amount of events to be game ready for those 4 events.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,307 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

NDWC wrote:
    I think his injury is/was a lot more serious than they let on
    So rare to see him miss a cut, shows how good he is
    If you can't practice for a couple of weeks it takes a long time to get back to where you were at. I think it was Sam Snead that said, miss two days practice it'll take you two weeks to get back to where you were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

And the other two tournaments he won?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

AdamD wrote: »
    And the other two tournaments he won?

I'm talking about majors , yes was in decent shape for last while , but , age , body . The cut and trust and higher standards of majors a different league.

I can't see it , I'll put my hands up after and say I was wrong. But .......an opinion.

He just looks uncomfortable at times . I'd suggest it is far more likely he will have another physical breakdown as opposed to winning a major.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Tommy Tommy Tommy. Heartbreak on last but never really got going all day.

Didn't help with an absolute clown shouting in his backswing

https://twitter.com/BenColeyGolf/status/1234250581679779841?s=20

HighLine wrote: »
    Didn't help with an absolute clown shouting in his backswing

https://twitter.com/BenColeyGolf/status/1234250581679779841?s=20

Was the sound off I wonder. No one reacted not the commentators, him or his caddie so I doubt it happened as it looked and sounded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Was the sound off I wonder. No one reacted not the commentators, him or his caddie so I doubt it happened as it looked and sounded

That’s what I thought at first. Then I changed my mind. Now I’ve changed it back again! Surely it would have been mentioned either in the interview or after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Most be a mic up by the green picking it up

Yeah apparently Tommy didn't hear it. Doesn't make the guy who shouted any less of a w**ker though.

HighLine wrote: »
    Yeah apparently Tommy didn't hear it. Doesn't make the guy who shouted any less of a w**ker though.

There were a couple of instances today where a player backed off because the crowd were rowdy and making noise. But if people start shouting during a players back-swing then that is a whole new level arseholery.

These get in the hole shouts are getting so tiresome now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A feature group designed for us boards users...Reed, Dechambeau and Mickelson

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Long way to go but the form of Rose, stenson and Molinari must be a worry for captain Harrington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Long way to go but the form of Rose, stenson and Molinari must be a worry for captain Harrington.

No Molinari this week due to a back injury. His form in the last few months has been really poor. Stenson and Rose haven't been exactly lighting it up either as you point out. While Poults continues to talk a good game but not translating it on the golf course. Paul Casey blows hot and cold. While Garcia is just going through the motions atm.

But it's 6 and a half months to Whistling Straits and the Ryder Cup. There is plenty of golf (coronavirus permitting) to be played between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Matt Every also at -6 now with a few holes left to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What’s the crack with every and bay hill - he’s won here twice already . Must love the course!

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    What’s the crack with every and bay hill - he’s won here twice already . Must love the course!
    He's from Florida, so is probably very familiar with the course. His only two wins on the PGA Tour were at Bay Hill. Mad.

• Advertisement

To be fair, you'd kind of root for the guy. Since his last win in 2015, he's missed the cut in every second tournament he's played in and wasn't in the top 10 in anything for three years.This year, he's had three missed cuts from six starts. Last year he had a second place finish in the Byron Nelson and that's the best he's had in five years. Tough gig this pro golf lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Phil is really in a bit of a slump at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    To be fair, you'd kind of root for the guy. Since his last win in 2015, he's missed the cut in every second tournament he's played in and wasn't in the top 10 in anything for three years.This year, he's had three missed cuts from six starts. Last year he had a second place finish in the Byron Nelson and that's the best he's had in five years. Tough gig this pro golf lark.

Going to get a lot tougher for people like Every if someone gets the streamlining they want. Don't think players like Every would survive if the tour turns into more WGC type, limited field, showcase events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Salvadoor wrote: »
    Phil is really in a bit of a slump at the moment

Hard to know whether its simply Father Time catching up on him, or whether its to do with that time a year or two back when he more or less said he wasn't going to play hard courses anymore as they didn't suit him, and he's just whaling away at the driver off the tee, come what may.
    To hear Wayne Riley saying last night that Phil took an iron off a par 5 tee and yet the trouble was 70 yards left, was worrying, he obviously just can't get it into play at all with the big stick. He's always been too stubborn to dial it back a little, Butch Harmon used to always talk about how beautifully smooth he (PM) would be hitting it on the range with a short backswing and as soon as he gets on the course its "bombs away".

That said he'll probably win at Augusta :D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not sure it has been mentioned but looks like Justin Rose and Honma are about to part ways! He has all Taylormade back in the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Russman wrote: »
    Hard to know whether its simply Father Time catching up on him, or whether its to do with that time a year or two back when he more or less said he wasn't going to play hard courses anymore as they didn't suit him, and he's just whaling away at the driver off the tee, come what may.
    To hear Wayne Riley saying last night that Phil took an iron off a par 5 tee and yet the trouble was 70 yards left, was worrying, he obviously just can't get it into play at all with the big stick. He's always been too stubborn to dial it back a little, Butch Harmon used to always talk about how beautifully smooth he (PM) would be hitting it on the range with a short backswing and as soon as he gets on the course its "bombs away".

That said he'll probably win at Augusta :D:D

He seems completely obsessed with getting extra distance at the moment. Guess he feels like he needs to try keep up with the younger guys. But its coming at an expense to the rest of his game

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

GreeBo wrote: »
    Going to get a lot tougher for people like Every if someone gets the streamlining they want. Don't think players like Every would survive if the tour turns into more WGC type, limited field, showcase events.

Imagine the Premier League type thing took off instead? Bye bye to anyone like them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mushy wrote: »
    Imagine the Premier League type thing took off instead? Bye bye to anyone like them

I would imagine Premier League golf is dead in the water with Rory pulling out but I do thing the Tour need to use this as a wake up call. There are elements of it that they should look to implement, namely 3 day tournaments, another variation of a team golf tournament, better tv coverage and shot gun starts.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I would imagine Premier League golf is dead in the water with Rory pulling out but I do thing the Tour need to use this as a wake up call. There are elements of it that they should look to implement, namely 3 day tournaments, another variation of a team golf tournament, better tv coverage and shot gun starts.

Not sure how any of them would help attract a casual fan tbh other than getting better coverage on non-subscription TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Keano wrote: »
    Not sure it has been mentioned but looks like Justin Rose and Honma are about to part ways! He has all Taylormade back in the bag

Yeah I read about that alright. Interesting to see if its amicable or mutual.
    Maybe trying to get out of a slump by going back to what he knows has worked in the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement