Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newport2

Whatever anyone thinks of Hatton, I don't think there's any doubt he deserved this win. Last man standing in tough conditions, it was good to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Yes great to see such unusual conditions on the PGA Tour, properly tough and no Americans in the hunt - coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

It is like Hatton actually has a mental problem. Would be on the same range as turrets.

Unless - na , just a spoilt ****e.

He seems to then calm a bit ?

His caddy looks like he takes a drink, fair play to him. You genuinely couldn't pay me to work with him. Well , I'd be sacked after 1 round.

He's Scottish.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

What is going on in the world of golf these days, so many of the top players in chronic form, when I see Fleetwood is 4th or 5th fav for The Players you'd have to wonder what's going on.

You have DJ, Brooks, Rose, Day ,Molinari , Spieth, Stenson all abysmally out of form, alot of recent enough no.1s there. It's all a bit strange, looks like it's wide open for Rory at the Masters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

What is going on in the world of golf these days, so many of the top players in chronic form, when I see Fleetwood is 4th or 5th fav for The Players you'd have to wonder what's going on.

You have DJ, Brooks, Rose, Day ,Molinari , Spieth, Stenson all abysmally out of form, alot of recent enough no.1s there. It's all a bit strange, looks like it's wide open for Rory at the Masters.

What’s going on is the lack of motivation. The prizemoney is irrelevant to these guys. They are all multi millionaires. I heard Peter Aliss comment a couple of years ago that when he was playing professional golf that “if you didn’t win, you didn’t eat”. That may be a slight exaggeration but there is some truth in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,303 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

At this time last season I think it was ten tournaments on the PGA tour that had been won by golfers in the top 20 in the world rankings.
    This year it's two wins.

I suspect what's going on is trying to find the best way to be in form in major season and for the Fed Ex Cup final stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Im looks like a serious player, wonder if he'll end up having a better career than the more hyped young guys like Hovland, Morikawa and Wolff

We'll have to wait a few years to see. I think Morikawa will be a top ten golfer and in couple of years. I think it'll take more time for Hovland to get there but when he does he could be a top five golfer for a long time.
    Woolf is the one it's hard to predict. He won a bunch of tournaments at the NCAA level and the way he finished to beat Morikawa and DeChambeau in the 3m open last year was impressive. He just needs to get a handle on his driving because when he hits fairways you see a magnificent iron player. He possibly has the potential to be world no.1 at some stage if he gets his driving in order.
    The fourth guy who nobody talks about is Brandon Wu. He is slowly making his way but is massively talented too.
    Of course there are so many young guys out there now. Scottie Scheffler is only 23,. Joaquin Niemann is 21, Cameron Champ 24, Doug Ghim is 23 and Rahm is only 25 now.
    Next year or the year after we'll get to see Cole Hammer, a 20 year old Texas Longhorn, who is very highly thought of.
    Lots of youth in the game right now.
    In years past your golfing prime was 32-42 age bracket but these days it's coming down all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Heard that, announcement at 5 I think, maybe 6

Edit: confirmed now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

No fans for the next month at any PGA Tour events.. until the Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

HighLine wrote: »
    No fans for the next month at any PGA Tour events.. until the Masters.

No fans at the Masters either....

...only patrons. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

With trump new rules and what else could happen the masters could be in doubt.

Maybe even some players might struggle to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What’s the story with so many big names misfiring recently . A lot of the big names struggling at sawgrass so far

Players cancelled, and same for tournaments in the next month :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,955 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Players cancelled, and same for tournaments in the next month :(

Wow!

Masters next tournament on the schedule!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Strange to cancel it after it started... No new news to warrant that imo.

The lads up the top of the leaderboard must be raging!

Right decision as much as I hate having no golf.
    Covid19 has a 2% mortality rate. We have to try to protect everybody.
    I'm sure many of those in the event were happy with this decision as they value their health.
    If everybody takes it as seriously as they should it will be over quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Matsuyama, having not won since 2017 and leading in his biggest event yet, probably over the moon that the event was started and only ran for a single day before being cancelled without any specific change in conditions leading to the cancellation!

Can't help but think that if the top of the leaderboard were TW or Rory rather then H. English or C, Bezuidenhout that the event would have continued for the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

It will be interesting what the rankings be like when they get back playing again.

Anyway of predicting what it will be like say the end of April if no more golf

SeeMoreBut wrote:
    Anyway of predicting what it will be like say the end of April if no more golf
    It'd take ages to work it out. Ranking points change every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

eagle eye wrote: »
    It'd take ages to work it out. Ranking points change every week.

I know that but nobody is gaining anything. Maybe someone has a database and crank it on a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    I know that but nobody is gaining anything. Maybe someone has a database and crank it on a few weeks

I've done this in the past for two or three players. The problem is that you have to download each player's history individually and then roll it forward, so it becomes very time consuming if you have to do it for multiple players. Maybe the OWGR will decide to do a projection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

SeeMoreBut wrote:
    Yes but everybody is losing different amounts weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Yes but everybody is losing different amounts weekly.

It's a simple formula. If there was a way to easily pull the info down on a single spreadsheet it would be a quick job.

Bubbaclaus wrote:
    It's a simple formula. If there was a way to easily pull the info down on a single spreadsheet it would be a quick job.
    You need every result for every golfer for the last two years and the points for each position in these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Strange decision to cancel after they said it would continue behind closed doors and to play that way up to the Masters, now it's all cancelled, would it be that a player has contracted the virus and that caused the sudden change of mind although to protect the brand, The PGA wouldn't admit it publicly...Just a thought !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You need every result for every golfer for the last two years and the points for each position in these events.

Yes, and if it was all on 1 spreadsheet handy you could extrapolate it all forward in a minute or two.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement