Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,303 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bubbaclaus wrote:
    Yes, and if it was all on 1 spreadsheet handy you could extrapolate it all forward in a minute or two.
    After you've put in formulae for everything. You need tour points for each event, reduction percentages for events older than fourteen weeks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

eagle eye wrote: »
    After you've put in formulae for everything. You need tour points for each event, reduction percentages for events older than fourteen weeks etc.

You seem to think that would be complex. Would just require a few IF functions and then you can extrapolate it as far forward as you like by just changing the date.

You dont need the tour points for each event either, the points actually earned by the player that week would give you what you need.

Bubbaclaus wrote:
    You seem to think that would be complex. Would just require a few IF functions and then you can extrapolate it as far forward as you like by just changing the date.

You dont need the tour points for each event either, the points actually earned by the player that week would give you what you need.
    Not complex for me, just time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

Just thinking about the Masters and whether there’s any chance of it being played this year. It occurs to me that there is one possibility.

If some semblance of order is restored, but not enough to prevent The Olympic Games being cancelled, then that week would become available. Not a very pleasant scenario, but other than that, I can’t see it happening this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newport2

abff wrote: »
    Just thinking about the Masters and whether there’s any chance of it being played this year. It occurs to me that there is one possibility.

If some semblance of order is restored, but not enough to prevent The Olympic Games being cancelled, then that week would become available. Not a very pleasant scenario, but other than that, I can’t see it happening this year.

Would be great to see Augusta in autumn. They'd have to buy lots of red/brown spray there too!

The first tournament back after this will be interesting. A field of pros who haven't played a tournament in months possibly

• Advertisement

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    It will be interesting what the rankings be like when they get back playing again.

Anyway of predicting what it will be like say the end of April if no more golf

I was in the process of rolling forward the projected rankings for the top 10, when I discovered that the OWGR have already done this and have published the rankings for week 16 i.e. the week that golf is scheduled to recommence.

As might be expected, there haven't been any huge changes, but some tweaking here and there as the number of tournaments played over a rolling two year period changes for each player. Justin Thomas and Brooks Koepka change places at 3 and 4. Xander Schauffele moves back into the top 10 (up 2 places from number 12) and Tyrrell Hatton moves up 4 places to 17th, while Graeme McDowell moves up 7 places to 42nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I would have thought the masters and golf in particular could be easily done without crowds . A caddy and golfer at each hole so not much contact with other golfers . Thoughts?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I would have thought the masters and golf in particular could be easily done without crowds . A caddy and golfer at each hole so not much contact with other golfers . Thoughts?
    What about all the production staff needed to televise it or are you saying just play the events but not show them?

Keano wrote: »
    What about all the production staff needed to televise it or are you saying just play the events but not show them?

Forgot all about this. No point having them if they are not live

Especially given what the masters put on last year being able to see every shot, players had the same this year but not visible in Ireland unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,955 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We’ve postponed the 2020 PGA Professional Championship.

https://t.co/w1xzEDTNWe

PGA championship postponed!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

abff wrote: »
    I was in the process of rolling forward the projected rankings for the top 10, when I discovered that the OWGR have already done this and have published the rankings for week 16 i.e. the week that golf is scheduled to recommence.

As might be expected, there haven't been any huge changes, but some tweaking here and there as the number of tournaments played over a rolling two year period changes for each player. Justin Thomas and Brooks Koepka change places at 3 and 4. Xander Schauffele moves back into the top 10 (up 2 places from number 12) and Tyrrell Hatton moves up 4 places to 17th, while Graeme McDowell moves up 7 places to 42nd.

Where you seeing that?

abff wrote:
    Surely Webb Simpson and Patrick Reed would be the biggest movers in the top ten with protected wins from the last fourteen weeks?

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Where you seeing that?

It appeared when I clicked on current ranking yesterday morning. It has now reverted to week 11. If I'd known that was going to happen, I’d have downloaded a copy.

However, if you click on a player’s name and then click on the player’s ranking history on the bottom right hand side of his page, you can view or download a csv file showing that player’s week on week progression since he was first included in the rankings. It also shows his projected ranking for three of the next five weeks (weeks 12, 15 and 16).

Surely Webb Simpson and Patrick Reed would be the biggest movers in the top ten with protected wins from the last fourteen weeks?

It’s complicated. The movement in a player’s ranking between one week and the next depends on the interaction between the posts lost and the number of tournaments used to calculate his average points per event. This number is subject to a maximum of 52 and a minimum of 40.

So, if a player has played more than 52 ranking events over the past two years, it’s only the most recent 52 events that are included in the calculation. And if he’s played fewer than 40, his average is calculated by dividing his total weighted points by 40.

Therefore, while it’s true that players keep a 100% weighting for any points earned during the previous 13 weeks, it’s actually the number of tournaments over which the average is calculated that has the biggest impact on any changes in his ranking from week to week.

Reed has played more than the maximum divisor of 52 (he’s actually played in 59 ranking tournaments), so only his last 52 tournaments are taken into account. This number will remain unchanged over the next 5 weeks and his average points per event will fall from 5.8668 to 5.5476 due to the weighting factor being reduced for any points that he had earned more than 13 weeks prior to each week.

If we look at Shauffele, his divisor will reduce from 51 to 47 over the next 5 weeks and while his average points will fall from 5.3759 to 5.2590 over that period, this is a much smaller reduction than Reed.

Graeme McDowell is an extreme case. His divisor will reduce from 49 to 46 and his average points will actually increase over the next 5 weeks, from 2.3761 to 2.4065. The reason for this is because more than half his points have been earned in the last 13 weeks and he earned zero points in the 3 events that are falling out of the calculation.

I hope this explains the apparent anomaly in the movements that will take place over the next 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

All events to mid-May now cancelled/postponed, including USPGA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

The Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) and Rolex Women's World Golf Ranking (WWGR) will be paused until further notice with professional golf currently inactive due to the global threat posed by Coronavirus (COVID-19).

The Governing Boards of the OWGR and WWGR have decided that the rankings will be frozen at Week 11 (the week ending March 15th and 16th 2020) and will continue to monitor the impact of Coronavirus COVID-19.

An announcement about the resumption of each respective ranking will be made in due course.

I was hoping it would be interesting rankings in a few months if no golf but I guess no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

That makes sense. Wheneve golf resumes just ignore the period that it was cancelled and go back more than two years until the coronovirus period drops off. If the're's no golf for four months then a tournament doesn't drop off for 2 years 4 months until we reach the Players from this year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

So the updated and revised schedule for now is updated anyway.

PGA tour to resume mid June most likely at the memorial with no crowds.
    Tour event July 13-19 (British Open spot)
    —Tour event July 27-Aug. 2 (Olympics spot)
    —PGA Champ Aug. 3-9 @ Harding Park
    —FedEx Cup playoffs Aug. 17-Sept. 7
    —Ryder Cup Sept. 25-27
    —USOpen Sept. 14-20 @ Winged Food
    Masters Nov. 9-15

From the us open to the Ryder cup could be interesting.
    Masters could be unreal in November and then we only have to wait 5 months till the next one.

Still can’t see half of this even happening anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Sounds like pga want to start playing again behind close doors. Forgot about if they should or shouldn’t but how can it be fair on rankings that one tour plays and others aren’t. European players are going to really suffer due to this as most can’t get a spot at event never mind travel bans. FedEx top 50 be the world ranking top 50. Come a wgc it may as well be a pga event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

would it be not be possible to have a crowd with only the members of the club being allowed in, maybe not straight away but soon.

I can't believe they are putting on the Ryder Cup. That's les than 30 golfers in a very boring event. It is of no real interest to anybody in South America, Canada, Australia or Africa. It's of no real interest to many in the US or Europe either.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I can't believe they are putting on the Ryder Cup. That's les than 30 golfers in a very boring event. It is of no real interest to anybody in South America, Canada, Australia or Africa. It's of no real interest to many in the US or Europe either.

Not a golfer I presume

Golfhead65 wrote:
    Not a golfer I presume
    I am a golfer and have played foursomes for my club many times and I play in fourballs all the time.
    In this day and age the Ryder cup has lost its appeal for many. The UK are not part of the EU, I like Brooks Koepka and Justin Thomas more than Lee Westwood or Marcus Kinhult to name just two from each team.
    I've no interest interest in it personally anymore but it's more than that. There are many people who watch the PGA tour and the European your who have very little interest in the Ryder Cup anymore nevermind the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I am a golfer and have played foursomes for my club many times and I play in fourballs all the time.
    In this day and age the Ryder cup has lost its appeal for many. The UK are not part of the EU, I like Brooks Koepka and Justin Thomas more than Lee Westwood or Marcus Kinhult to name just two from each team.
    I've no interest interest in it personally anymore but it's more than that. There are many people who watch the PGA tour and the European your who have very little interest in the Ryder Cup anymore nevermind the rest of the world.

The level of excitement when it's on would condradict your opinion. I'm not saying everyone is a fan, but there are large numbers that are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,955 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will ya stop the Ryder cup has never been bigger imo. Its a great tournament and completely different to the usual individual mundane tournament we get week in week out.

Teams create a different dynamic and it's not the USA against the UK or EU its Europe. Westwood and kinhult won't be on the European team so not sure why you're mentioning them. No one said you have to support team Europe, support the Americans if you like.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Its USA vs Europe, not the EU. Marcus Kinhult...what a completely random name to pick vs two of the biggest names in the game.

There are many who watch both tours and do have an interest in it, so thatll hold just as much weight.

Cant see it happening anyway, still too close and if it can go ahead, cant see it allowing fans

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

whats that got to do with the Ryder Cup?

The Ryder cup is an exhibition. It’s all about the majors . Golfers won’t say this of course got they can’t be seen degrading the Ryder

• Advertisement

A large part of the Ryder Cup is the atmosphere generated by the crowd. Having it without spectators would be pretty pointless, in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement