Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It would be a huge advantage to the Europeans not to have to put up with the ignorant shower of sh*tes that are US golf fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ryder Cup is an exhibition anyway - but as most have noted above, there is literally no point doing it without a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dr. Bre wrote:
    The Ryder cup is an exhibition. It’s all about the majors . Golfers won’t say this of course got they can’t be seen degrading the Ryder

A contest as tense, close and competitive as the Ryder Cup is more than an exhibition. So are the Solheim, Curtis and Walker Cups.

I have been to all four and its obvious the players don't think they are exhibition either.

But TV is where the money is and playing on an empty course would detract hugely from the event

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

There is precedence for a deferral. The 2001 Ryder Cup was deferred to 2002 in the Belfry as a consequence of 9/11. IIRC the selected teams played.

In the Ryder Cups since 1985, the crowd have been integral to the event and playing to them has been part of it for the players. The Poulter chest pump, The Patrick Reed silencing the crowd, the first tee winding up the crowd.

I think for players like Lowry who have qualifying to play in the Ryder Cup as a goal, it wouldn't be preferable to have it deferred and qualify on merit based on the season up to August 2021.

I'm hoping for a deferral.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

I think that a deferral is the only sensible option. Points earned to date could be carried forward and the cut off point could be extended by 12 months. If the US tour starts behind closed doors before the European Tour reopens, consideration would need to be given to how to deal with results in these tournaments in order to avoid unfairly penalising those who are unable to play in these tournaments because of travel restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i really think it should be deferred. whatever about other tournaments, the ryder cup would be boring without any crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I love the Ryder cup, probably my favourite tournament, but it would be fairly ****e without a crowd. I'd still watch it but it wouldn't be anything close to the same.

I'd be shocked if it went ahead without a crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

You can be sure that the PGA Tour (and the other tours) are talking to broadcasters about how to get the RC and everything else back on the screen. There is huge pent up demand worldwide for golf and the real money comes from advertising, not gate receipts.

Golf is one of the easiest sports to play with social distancing. Of course no galleries will reduce the atmosphere - especially at the RC - but there is too much money at stake to let that stop them.

Watch this space; golf coverage might look a bit different soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj8viCzPnZc&list=RDGj8viCzPnZc&start_radio=1

some funny covers there. Seen the finau one on sky sports during a final round a while back but didn't see the others to this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

What will Ricky and Wolff being playing off? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You know just when i seen that I started thinking about Ricki and all the extra time he has had to work with his new coach without any interference from sponsors. He could be in great shape now. Woolf is a young pro who already has a win and a break like this will probably be very good for him too. And DJ was totally out of form so the break might have been great for him too. Koepka as well got plenty of time to completely get over his injury and get his game in shape. And let's not forget Tiger who looked like he wouldn't make the Masters and could be in great shape for Major season now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

I'm afraid I may have missed this earlier in the thread, and I haven't seen it mentioned in media reports of the imminent revival of the PGA tour:

Are they doing this, at least in the initial stages, without caddies?

The presence of caddies would seem to leave the revival wide open to allegations that they cannot practice social distancing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,542 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

They would all have to be tested beforehand.

Caddies to golfers is not a "social" interaction, they are pretty much a "team"

Similarly to the way soccer and rugby are taking about getting back going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Yes, Syd, of course.

But it might be a nice illustration to the World of the seriousness with which the PGA Tour takes the virus threat, and its determination to take steps on its way back to 'normal' professional golf.

Jordan Spieth (e.g) and the others walk the course early in the week, take their own notes about yardages and stuff, then compete from Thursday on, carrying their own clubs and making decisions based solely on their own advice.

Then later, they can bring the caddies back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You don't even need to go that far. Caddy can carry the bag and social distance. Closest they need to get at any time is if he is handing him a club which can be done arm and club length away from the golfer. He uses the club, puts it down, uses hand sanitizer and moves on.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You don't even need to go that far. Caddy can carry the bag and social distance. Closest they need to get at any time is if he is handing him a club which can be done arm and club length away from the golfer. He uses the club, puts it down, uses hand sanitizer and moves on.

Once both use hand sanitizer and the equipment is sanitised before they go out to play, then there is no need for v hand sanitizer after ever interaction.

Plus, both have to pass tests before each competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fantastic, finally some live sport of TV.

7pm Sunday night, should tee us up nicely for Monday on the course.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Once both use hand sanitizer and the equipment is sanitised before they go out to play, then there is no need for v hand sanitizer after ever interaction.

Plus, both have to pass tests before each competition.

You need sanitizer each interaction unless you are sure that neither of them are infected, which would be pretty impossible.

GreeBo wrote: »
    You need sanitizer each interaction unless you are sure that neither of them are infected, which would be pretty impossible.

You either let them out into the competition in the knowledge that they DON'T have the virus (testing) or they do not compete

You cannot proceed with a competition which has policies based on the assumption that the competitors MAY HAVE the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Considering the President of America couldn't be bothered with social distancing and what seems like the majority of the guidelines being followed by countries I doubt they will have looked too much into caddies or not

well caddies or not tonight does anyone know?
    i think they should just be allowed to use golf gliders and keep it simple for now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You either let them out into the competition in the knowledge that they DON'T have the virus (testing) or they do not compete

You cannot proceed with a competition which has policies based on the assumption that the competitors MAY HAVE the virus.
    They've all been tested according to McIlroy. I assume that includes caddies if they are being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Seve OB wrote:
    well caddies or not tonight does anyone know? i think they should just be allowed to use golf gliders and keep it simple for now

No caddies tonight , carrying their own bags

Tiger Roll wrote: »

carrying is a bit daft, they should have carts

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Tiger Roll wrote: »

In that case I’m guessing that they will be throwing out a lot of the junk that the poor caddies have to lug around in those huge bags. (Just the 14 clubs and 1 banana, maybe).

Seve OB wrote: »
    carrying is a bit daft, they should have carts

Just being reading it up.
    Carts allowed, but it does say pull trolley. So maybe no gliders!
    Players allowed to wear shorts.... never understood why not normally lowed.
    DMDs are also allowed...... could be the first but not last time we see this if the tours cop on to themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are you going to test them between each round?
    Each 9?
    Each hole?

How do you know they haven't caught it since your initial test?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement