Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

etxp wrote: »
    Id imagine what Greebo is looking for is aspects of the course that don't suit him. tight Fairways where he would be landing the ball meaning he cant use the driver off the tee probably. Although with his wedge play you would think he would be better off a bit further back from the green.

Exactly. If the fairways are tight with penal rough, then hit something that finds the fairway.
    If the aspect of your game that you struggle with is "hitting fairways" then I think you need to go take a long hard look at yourself and your coach.

If you struggle with hitting greens with wedges, then no course is going to suit you, unless its all drivable par 4s and par 3s and short par 5s.
    If the #1 player in the world can only perform in that environment then the game is in a very bad, low-skill place.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Personal responsibility is a huge thing. Clearly somebody wasn't responsible enough and others trusted that person.

I dont think you can simplify it down that much.

What about the myriad of people that you come into contact with that have nothing to do with golf? Drivers, hotel staff, restaurant workers, security, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

GreeBo wrote: »
    But what does "suit their eye" actually mean?
    Like I can understand if a course requires mainly left to right tee shots and you struggle to fade the ball, but I find it hard to accept that the best player in the world can have such fundamental issues in their game.

Other than tee shots, every other shot is straight to the green, so even that shouldnt mean that you finish 50 spots down the leaderboard, with mcIlroys length, even if he has to hit an iron to the corner of the dogleg he can still reach any green in 2. Sure, it might mean that he doesnt win but he shouldnt struggle on any course, if he is actually the best player in the world.

What aspects of Harbourtown dont suit his game? If this is all so obvious, why cant anyone name one and shut me up?:confused:

They do though, you might not like it but they do. Bubba Watson likes hitting a big fade, thus the predominantly right to left Augusta National suits him. Its like getting amazed that professional footballers have a weaker foot, it might amaze you but it doesn't make it less true.

All of your recent posts are too idealistic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Players themselves will say certain courses suit their eye or their stock shot shape. Why are you arguing this point, its ridiculous.

No, sure every course is the exact same and suits every golfers strengths and weaknesses equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

If its such a
    basic fact then
    surely you
    can give
    some examples
    of why a course wouldn't
    suit
    a player

https://www.si.com/golf/2018/10/05/phil-mickelson-le-golf-national-ryder-cup-rough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

But what does "suit their eye" actually mean?
    Like I can understand if a course requires mainly left to right tee shots and you struggle to fade the ball, but I find it hard to accept that the best player in the world can have such fundamental issues in their game.

Other than tee shots, every other shot is straight to the green, so even that shouldnt mean that you finish 50 spots down the leaderboard, with mcIlroys length, even if he has to hit an iron to the corner of the dogleg he can still reach any green in 2. Sure, it might mean that he doesnt win but he shouldnt struggle on any course, if he is actually the best player in the world.

What aspects of Harbourtown dont suit his game? If this is all so obvious, why cant anyone name one and shut me up?:confused:

I doubt God himself could shut you up :pac:

Small combinations of all of the above points, grass type, green speeds etc and then the biggest one of all for Pro golfers imo, the mental side of it.

If a guy thinks a course always beats him up then I think that course will beat him up. Its a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GreeBo wrote:
    I dont think you can simplify it down that much.
    What about the myriad of people that you come into contact with that have nothing to do with golf? Drivers, hotel staff, restaurant workers, security, etc, etc.
    Social distance, wash your hands after touching anything anybody else has.

It's all about personal responsibility.

Road runner that's about somebody deciding that he'd rather not play courses that are tough rather than fix his accuracy issues.

I doubt God himself could shut you up :pac:

Small combinations of all of the above points, grass type, green speeds etc and then the biggest one of all for Pro golfers imo, the mental side of it.

If a guy thinks a course always beats him up then I think that course will beat him up. Its a self fulfilling prophecy.

So now we are down to if he thinks it doesn't suit?
    I'm just looking for some examples of why any course wouldn't suit the #1 player in the world.
    Remember I'm not saying he should win, but he shouldn't struggle on any one "type" of course.

RoadRunner wrote: »

Firstly, lol at the childishness.

Secondly "
    I’m 48, I’m not going to play tournaments with rough like that anymore,"

A guy at the end of his career wants to play easier courses is hardly proof of anything, especially when we are talking about the #1 player in the world during his prime.

• Advertisement

Rory's putting is horrendous as per usual. He should be -2.

Rory's putting is horrendous as per usual. He should be -2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Firstly, lol at the childishness.

Secondly "
    the #1 player in the world during his prime.

He is in the form of his life. Only peak Tiger is better statistically. Taking that into account look at this performance in different areas from his game. Taken from PGA website

DRIVING DISTANCE 8TH
    DRIVING ACCURACY 163RD

That would heavily suggest that tighter courses with heavy rough do not suit Rory. Longer courses with less penal rough would play right into his hands

His Sand recovery play is not elite either

SAND SAVE 82ND

Approach Play

APPROACHES FROM 50-75 YARDS 145TH
    APPROACHES FROM 75-100 YARDS 168TH

That would indicate a problem with his wedge play. As he is such a brilliant driver, his brilliant driving probably puts him into more trouble that it should. I would say its safe to say that shorter courses don't suit rory than longer ones

Different story from 125-150

APPROACHES FROM 125-150 YARDS 1ST

Putting
    well his putting is fairly middle of the road also. He is a streaky putter anyways which is something that is difficult to measure.

https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.28237.rory-mcilroy.html

So the best player in the world has parts of this game where his performance is middle of the road. There are courses which his strong play will expose his weak play. Driver to 80 yards, poor wedge play and his poor putting.. how many times have we seen this from rory? Put him on a course where he is hitting full wedge and he is electric

willabur wrote: »
    So the best player in the world has parts of this game where his performance is middle of the road. There are courses which his strong play will expose his weak play. Driver to 80 yards, poor wedge play and his poor putting.. how many times have we seen this from rory? Put him on a course where he is hitting full wedge and he is electric

Shouldn't the best player in the world figure out that he could hit something less than a driver to leave himself with whatever approach shot does suit him best?

Its not very clever to whack away with your driver as hard as you can just because its a strength, if it doesn't lead to lower scores because you cant hit a half wedge.
    In fact its not a strength at all really, other than in a long drive competition, if it doesnt lead to lower scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

I do have to laugh that's its the lads who argue that McIlroy is underachieving are the ones who think he is a better golfer than the lads defending him thing he is. It's a tad mind****ing when you think about it.

AdamD wrote: »
    They do though, you might not like it but they do. Bubba Watson likes hitting a big fade, thus the predominantly right to left Augusta National suits him. Its like getting amazed that professional footballers have a weaker foot, it might amaze you but it doesn't make it less true.

All of your recent posts are too idealistic

You can prefer to hit a fade all you want, it doesnt mean you stay at home if the course requires a straight or god forbid a draw shot now and then!

Many, many people are amazed that *some* professional footballers cant play with both feet.
    I'd also re-iterate that we are talking about the *#1 player in the world" here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

You can prefer to hit a fade all you want, it doesnt mean you stay at home if the course requires a straight or god forbid a draw shot now and then!

Many, many people are amazed that *some* professional footballers cant play with both feet.
    I'd also re-iterate that we are talking about the *#1 player in the world" here.

Nobody stays at home for the sole reason that the course doesn’t suit them. None of the top players ever miss a major because they don’t like the look of the course. Outside the Majors and WGCs, the top players pick and choose where they play. It makes perfect sense to pick courses that suit you.

It’s similar when you go further down the rankings. Pros don’t play every week, so they will pick a schedule that suits them best which may include skipping courses they don’t like.

Harrington used to skip Wentworth every year because he felt he couldn’t win because of the greens. This was when he was winning majors.

Shouldn't the best player in the world figure out that he could hit something less than a driver to leave himself with whatever approach shot does suit him best?

Its not very clever to whack away with your driver as hard as you can just because its a strength, if it doesn't lead to lower scores because you cant hit a half wedge.
    In fact its not a strength at all really, other than in a long drive competition, if it doesnt lead to lower scores.

You should get in touch with the world number one golfer, to provide him with this advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

GreeBo you have asked for examples and have been giving plenty.

Your logic is if you are world number 1 you should adapt, again, you have been giving an example like Rory at Sawgrass.

It is quite obvious many players including world number 1's do not like some courses and avoid them.

Why change their game for the sake of a couple of courses like Kaymer did and run their game.

Another thread derailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Nice round going for McIlroy. Good to see him playing at a course that suits his game :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

if you've ever seen any of those clips of Tiger, McIlroy etc playing with mics on then you'll quickly come to the conclusion that Tiger is streets ahead of all of them when it come to the amount of shots he has in his Arsenal. Just to hear him talk about a shot and see the bewilderment of the faces of the other golfers is comical.

Today's best players rely on power to win. Rory has power. He generally does well. Put power players can't maintain consistancy. They have a run of good events and then fall back due to inconsistant rounds. Some say that their are many more talented golfers now then back 15 yrs ago in Tiger's hayday. I'd say that today most of the golfers are just good at hitting it long and therefore more of them win because none of them can be consistant.

There were some courses that Tiger hated, but not because it didn't suit his game. He hated them because they introduced luck and took away his edge where he was the more skillful. Courses with crazy greens or over penalizing rough were the ones that Tiger disliked.

For Rory to real excel he needs to learn that with a little thought and cleverness he can overcome those courses that "don't suit him". For the number one golfer in the world he should relish the courses that require more skill, just like Tiger did, as those are the course where the best almost always win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thank god the golf is on for something to talk about. Some amount of drivel here the last few days.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Hyzepher wrote: »
    if you've ever seen any of those clips of Tiger, McIlroy etc playing with mics on then you'll quickly come to the conclusion that Tiger is streets ahead of all of them when it come to the amount of shots he has in his Arsenal. Just to hear him talk about a shot and see the bewilderment of the faces of the other golfers is comical.

Today's best players rely on power to win. Rory has power. He generally does well. Put power players can't maintain consistancy. They have a run of good events and then fall back due to inconsistant rounds. Some say that their are many more talented golfers now then back 15 yrs ago in Tiger's hayday. I'd say that today most of the golfers are just good at hitting it long and therefore more of them win because none of them can be consistant.

There were some courses that Tiger hated, but not because it didn't suit his game. He hated them because they introduced luck and took away his edge where he was the more skillful. Courses with crazy greens or over penalizing rough were the ones that Tiger disliked.

For Rory to real excel he needs to learn that with a little thought and cleverness he can overcome those courses that "don't suit him". For the number one golfer in the world he should relish the courses that require more skill, just like Tiger did, as those are the course where the best almost always win.

I get your argument, and Tiger probably did have a better arsenal of shots than anyone else in his prime, but his distance was a massive factor in him being so dominant. The fact that players have now caught up and passed him for distance doesn’t change that Tiger had a massive advantage from it in his heyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Excellent round from Hughes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Excellent round from Hughes

Fantastic stuff 60!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

qwabercd wrote:
    Nice round going for McIlroy. Good to see him playing at a course that suits his game
    No course really suite a bad putter. McIlroy should have shot 59 or 60 today. He missed two putts inside 10 feet, another two inside fifteen and three more hours inside of twenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

eagle eye wrote:
    No course really suite a bad putter. McIlroy should have shot 59 or 60 today. He missed two putts inside 10 feet, another two inside fifteen and three more hours inside of twenty.

Commentator said it was a really bad 63.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

McIlroy could win this by 10 from here but I wouldn't be shocked either if he finished 50th. He's exciting to watch if nothing else

eagle eye wrote: »

He was positive strokes gained putting today, so would have needed to have been lights out putting to be at 59/60 for today.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote:
    He was positive strokes gained putting today, so would have needed to have been lights out putting to be at 59/60 for today.
    Old saying, there's lies, there's damned lies and then there's stats.
    I watched his full round today. His putting was poor for the most part, his iron play was awesome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement