Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

It's Jason's Day me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Game over

This day next week...

Victor who????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Game over!

If Victor drains this putt, Day should just concede the match to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

ForeRight wrote: »
    Game over

This day next week...

Victor who????

Hopefully not, Very likable player

• Advertisement

Game over

This day next week...

Victor who????

he is in my fantasy team this week... i'll remember

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Terrific match. Fair play to both.

This is it... It's Jason's Day well done good putt

Bed is calling ... Goodnight to all you golf freaks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Fantastic match! Fairplay to Day, but I think we have a new hero, Victor you were magnifique!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Dubuisson didn't seem happy with second place, a real winner's attitude. Hopefully he's here to stay.

Pity there aren't more matchplay events. You can't beat them for excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Game over

This day next week...

Victor who????

I think you are joking. But he is in Ryder Cup team at this stage - could be bye , bye Donald and Molinari.

But - his game was very weak today. Also , he was all over the place in a few earlier matches.

mafc wrote: »
    Bed is calling ... Goodnight to all you golf freaks

I suppose you would have given Day that last putt aswell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I was joking of course.

I took a liking to victor after the Turkish win as he was so cool and calm cruising to victory. Haven't seen much of him since and from what I've read about him he doesn't actually play too many tournaments as he is very selective.

He did well today but there were a lot of poor shots in that playoff.

1 birdie which won it from 10 play off holes. That's poor.

As a side topic - but related , just looking at Ryder Cup lists,

McGinley needs some of his experienced players to have a good year. There are other players playing longer seasons picking up points and there are now 5 to 6 new players versus last Ryder Cup who look like they have a real good chance of making team.

Always hard - but can't see McGinely having easy picks this year as there will be at least 2 rookies in team imo. Could be 3 or 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

McGinley needs some of his experienced players to have a good year. There are other players playing longer seasons picking up points and there are now 5 to 6 new players versus last Ryder Cup who look like they have a real good chance of making team.

Always hard - but can't see McGinely having easy picks this year as there will be at least 2 rookies in team imo. Could be 3 or 4.

You are right in what you say but tbh the season only gets started for the top players a few weeks out from Augusta. Now that is. I could see two or three rookies in it though too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Westy and Donald, I reckon neither will play their way into the team and he'll be under big pressure from the Sky Sports PR machine to include them - I'm being a little mischevious with that, but can see it happening.

Russman wrote: »
    Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Westy and Donald, I reckon neither will play their way into the team and he'll be under big pressure from the Sky Sports PR machine to include them - I'm being a little mischevious with that, but can see it happening.

well he would have room to include them as well as he has previously admitted that if poulter doesn't automatically qualify, he won't pick him

[ which is insane! ]

Rikand wrote: »
    well he would have room to include them as well as he has previously admitted that if poulter doesn't automatically qualify, he won't pick him

[ which is insane! ]

did he really say that???

maybe he is playing mind games!

leaving Poulter out of the team would be like leaving the cup at home... he IS the Ryder Cup

stevieob wrote: »
    did he really say that???

maybe he is playing mind games!

leaving Poulter out of the team would be like leaving the cup at home... he IS the Ryder Cup

From memory - He said no player is guaranteed a place in the team.
    He was sort of being backed into a corner that Ian is guaranteed a place in a Ryder Cup team - I think he is right to cool that down. 2 year is a long time in golf.
    But he would pick him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

To be fair, I would say McGinley is not going to be pushed around and he is right to say that absolutely no one, including Poulter, can consider themselves a cert. But yes, he would be crazy not to pick him.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,121 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If we do lose it wont be because of the Captain. Europe have picked the best man for the job. McGinley does not have a ego.

He will do what is best for Europe. He wont let anything get in the way of that.

If we do lose it wont be because of the Captain. Europe have picked the best man for the job. McGinley does not have a ego.

He will do what is best for Europe. He wont let anything get in the way of that.

I'm not too sure about the role of captain. History looks favourably on the ones who win and poorly on the ones that lose.
    At the end of the day - if the Americans or Europeans play out of their skins, there is only a limited amount the captain can get right or wrong.

The players and how how they play that week is the biggest factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,121 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm not too sure about the roll of captain. History looks favourably on the ones who win and poorly on the ones that lose.
    At the end of the day - if the Americans or Europeans play out of their skins, there is only a limited amount the captain can get right or wrong.

The players and how how they play that week is the biggest factor.

True. I think the Captain thing is more overrated here then anything else.

At same time getting the right pairings is important. Also have Captain and Vice Captains that can make players feel at ease and show confidence is plus factor too.

These are things McGinley bring to table.

At same time getting the right pairings is important. Also have Captain and Vice Captains that can make players feel at ease and show confidence is plus factor too.

Yes the pairings are a big factor - but the leading pairs tend to pick themselves - then you have the players getting together and talking about who would go well together.

When things don't go well - the captain has to time the breaking up of pairing ad judging mental fatigue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

I know the role of the captain can be overstated, but then again, look at the negative impact of Nick Faldo as captain in 2008. He was a disaster from start to finish. So, it's mainly down to the players, but the captain definitely has a role to play and I think McGinley was/is definitely the best candidate for the 2014 captain.

Having said that, there are definitely going to be some rookies (Dubuisson for one) and some old timers past their prime (in all likelihood, Bjorn) so it's going to be an interesting challenge for Paul.

Here are the standings

http://www.rydercup.com/europe/2014/team/european-ryder-cup-points-list

Early days - but it just shows that will be a tricky task - as it is hard to see Bjorn - Dubuisson - Donaldson , going anywhere quick - so that is 3 new players to start (Bjorn the old new boy). Then you have Luiten / Gallacher and Castano picking up points all the time. It is interesting. But, yes very early.

But again - there is a randomness to it. Who is to the say you are better off with the perceived top players. Sometimes they don't turn up or are poor in that format.

On the captain thing , people remember Ollie as a great captain - they were 6 - 10 down on the Saturday.

The Seve thing worked.

Henrik STENSON
    Sergio GARCIA
    Victor DUBUISSON
    Thomas BJÖRN
    Ian POULTER
    Rory MCILROY
    Jamie DONALDSON
    Justin ROSE
    Joost LUITEN

That's the 9

It isn't actually the worst 9 in the whole world

Rikand wrote: »
    That's the 9

It isn't actually the worst 9 in the whole world

Sorry lads I've drifted this way off topic - this is the PGA Tour thread (lol) :D

You make the team if you are in form at the end of the day - just we are accustomed to a certain 4 or 5 players that have been in team - some are going to miss out - but that is the way it always is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think McGinley is a great choice for captain. I think he has that combination that is rare enough in a boss/manager these days - the players respect him but also like him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement