Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

copacetic wrote: »
    He went for the win by taking a risk and going after the flag, nothing wrong with that, margin of error was a lot lower and he came up a couple of yards short.

In fairness, the 17th (with that pin location) is not the hole to go for the win. He knew he was level at the top. 18th is where he should have been looking for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Weetabix wrote: »
    Why oh why do i always back garcia and westwood, it's always the same, get hopes up first 3 days only fir the to crush my dreams come sunday.

in fairness, sergio shipped it on day 2 of the Masters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Looks like Sergio had plenty of time to me (if not quite the Tiger skill of stiffling a shot mid swing). Often see players abort at that stage due to crowd rustling, applause from a neighbouring green etc. No doubt it put him off - but a better player would have backed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He went for the win by taking a risk and going after the flag, nothing wrong with that, margin of error was a lot lower and he came up a couple of yards short.

people have been hitting the safe side of 18 all day and the ball kicking towards the hole....ALL DAY! that was the time to go for the win, not on 17

I admire the ambition, but do have to question the judgement. There is a time to attack and a time to play smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

****ing sergio...
    c'mon lingmerth!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Jesus, a 3rd ball in the water! Tiger must be laughing on the inside at Garcia!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Everything was wrong with it.
    Tied for the lead, pin location, and the huge bonus that woods was playing one hole ahead of him.
    Deadful course management and you can be sure he knows it now as well.
    Greedy and immature.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

As I said, writing was on the wall once I put money on him. Final rounds in particular have been a sickener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Anyone know why Tiger wasn't in the final pairing, rather than Sergio?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

people have been hitting the safe side of 18 all day and the ball kicking towards the hole....ALL DAY! that was the time to go for the win, not on 17

5 birdies ... ALL DAY on 18. 11 I think on 17, it's clearly the hole to go for a birdie on, assuming you actually want one rather than to play safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He presumably finished after Sergio yesterday

Tweety Bird bludgeoned himself this time saving Tiger the trouble.

5 birdies ... ALL DAY on 18. 11 I think on 17, it's clearly the hole to go for a birdie on, assuming you actually want one rather than to play safe.

It's clearly not. It's idiotic in the extreme.

They were level at end of 3rd round play and Sergio had started with honour.

He's an idiot. The one shot in world golf you don't go for the pin is there. Hit the green take two putts, move on.

Just before he hit the tee shot, I texted my mate and said he'd go right at it.

fullstop wrote: »

Tiger shot a lower round?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

I would guess course management isn't the strong point of your game, absolutely idiotic shot for garcia to take on.

It's clearly not. It's idiotic in the extreme.

Ermm, the stats are very clear, its high risk but more likely to be close than in the water on 17 when going for it. Roughly 65/35.

See link for today's distance from pin, loads of people very close.
    http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/the-players-championship/closest-to-the-pin-17.html

Assuming you care about nothing but the win and think the shot looks good to you it's perfectly valid to go for it. Same way it was for legworth. Hitting a bad shot doesn't mean it wasn't an ok decision.

No, he didn't.
    Tiger shot a lower round?

No, he didn't.

• Advertisement

Ermm, the stats are very clear, its high risk but more likely to be close than in the water on 17 when going for it. Roughly 65/35.

See link for today's distance from pin, loads of people very close.
    http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/the-players-championship/closest-to-the-pin-17.html

Assuming you care about nothing but the win and think the shot looks good to you it's perfectly valid to go for it. Same way it was for legworth. Hitting a bad shot doesn't mean it wasn't an ok decision.

You think he was trying to hit the ball there? Not a chance, he was leaning as soon as he hit it. Pushed the hell out of it.

My woes aside, happy for Tiger. Some week of golf as ever at the 5th Major.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Happy for Tiger...clearly meant a lot to him!

No, he didn't.

No, he didn't.

Interesting. Maybe you should check the 3rd round scores.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Wish we'd see a bit more of the smiley Tiger on course that we saw there.

Interesting. Maybe you should check the 3rd round scores.

3rd round scores don't matter. First in, last out if tied.

sergiowater_medium.gif

sergiowater2_medium.gif

3rd round scores don't matter. First in, last out if tied.

Not at the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

McGinley described the 17th perfectly - "you don't normally win the comp there, but you can lose it". Like I said, 18th is where he should have been going for the birdie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

When two players in the same pairing are tied after the round, the player who was first to hit when the full round began is listed first. That put Garcia, who had a one-shot lead going into the third round, in the final group

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement