Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Looks like it's dustins to loose now. Delighted for him, great comeback after his self imposed ban.

Self imposed, or PGA tour imposed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

delaad wrote: »
    Delighted for Johnson, with the stuff he's been through. May he power on from here. He's a breath of fresh air.

He's been through any amount of stuff, great to see he's got his head up.

He's just gonna hoover it up now, and even though it's not a Major, he won't snort at this win.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Lets keep it on topic and and less of that type of posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well done to Alex Cejka on his win as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

anyone else find Doral a really boring course to watch from a spectator point of view? just couldnt get into the golf coverage whatever it was

See Matt Kuchar got the sack last week.

Padraig 3 over through 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

See Matt Kuchar got the sack last week.

Padraig 3 over through 12.

Poor Kuch :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Rikand wrote: »
    Poor Kuch :(

Did he get in the sack too?

Padraig finished +5.

Was that els breaking his club on the tree? Great commitment to the shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Another exciting finish in store here. 3 tied for the lead at the moment with stenson in the clubhouse a shot behind.

Going to back Speith to pull out the victory in a playoff.

And now reed joins then in the lead.

Love that patrick reed double fist pump!

Ridiculous short game from Speith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

This has been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Three epic up and downs from speith!! Hope he goes on and wins now :)

Ridiculous up and down from reed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

This is the 4th week there has been a play off now?.. I know not really applicable to the playoff but did anyone see Denis Pugh disecting Ryan Moore's swing plane :eek::eek::eek:

Short game exhibition going on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

Ridiculous up and down from reed.

Got to say I'm beginning to like him, he's got "balls"

I honestly think that Spieth and McIlroy are going to have serious battles in the future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Huge putt from Speith, didn't expect that...

• Advertisement

Disappointed for O Hair.

rocky911 wrote: »
    I honestly think that Spieth and McIlroy are going to have serious battles in the future.

Spieth fast replacing Tiger as American crowd favourite, out with old in with the new.

Spieth fast replacing Tiger as American crowd favourite, out with old in with the new.

Totally agree and he is a like able guy very humble interview after to be fair to him..I think this years season is going to be one of the best yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

rocky911 wrote: »

Throw Dustin into the mix too imo.
    What he has done since his return is pretty spectacular given that it is usually said that it takes some time to get back into things.

If he has his head firmly screwed on now then I think he'll lead the way with the others following. I think there are 2 majors for DJ this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dustin has been impressive.

But to win 2 majors would be a very unusual achievement.

Mcilroy
    Harrington
    Woods
    Price
    Faldo

And then to win 2 as well as your first in the one year - who is the last to do that

Mark O'Meara
    Tiger Woods didn't even do that.

Yes is possible - but don't see it.

Is impressive he went well in Open in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dustin has been impressive.

But to win 2 majors would be a very unusual achievement.

Mcilroy
    Harrington
    Woods
    Price
    Faldo

And then to win 2 as well as your first in the one year - who is the last to do that

Mark O'Meara
    Tiger Woods didn't even do that.

Yes is possible - but don't see it.

Is impressive he went well in Open in 2011.

I definitely think he has the ability to make that list.
    I won't be putting my house on it, I would be expecting big odds, but if he has mellowed after the arrival of his first child and has a new focus, then I think he'll be close to unstoppable.
    A win, a playoff and a top 5 so far this year is a serious return on his return.

Gmac has said that there has only been 2 players that he has seen that have made him think that they're just on a different level (when on form). Rory and Dustin. I can see where he's getting that.

Jordan Spieth up to 6th in the world after that win
    Sean O'hair jumped from 401 - 188 by finishing second.
    Patrick Reed up to 15th. He's getting closer and closer to top 5! :D

Coincidentally, Patrick Reed is in 2nd place in the world for points gained this season! so as of right now, he probably is in the top 5 golfers in the world! ;)
    http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking.aspx?pageNo=1&pageSize=100&country=All (order by points gained)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Sometimes the golfing Gods work in your favour...

Is it just me or do the greens look really rough? Looks like spike marks all over the place.

Just watching on playback. Much and all as I dislike Day's slow play, he's living with Rorys power play easily today, Rickie struggling. The future of golf in that threeball imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Is it just me or do the greens look really rough? Looks like spike marks all over the place.

Apparently they are in poor knick, they're all getting redone after this tournament. The course will be closed for the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Rorys after bogying all 3 holes that Harrington bogied yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Always a joy to watch Stenson swing at that 3 wood.

Even the sound - to dream, .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Stenson really should of won that, great stuff by Every to defend his title though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

he wins it everytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Stenson really will be kicking himself with that loss. Was his to lose after 14th.

Stenson really will be kicking himself with that loss. Was his to lose after 14th.

Absolutely sickened for him! Nothing was going for McIlroy at all today

Stenson isn't happy with the rules officials, their group was given two warnings for slow play. It's really hard to understand how they were given 2 warnings yet Harrington got away with it a few weeks ago and Furyk gets away with it every single week. Feel sorry for Stenson but his game is in great shape coming up to Augusta, would love to see him win it.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Stenson isn't happy with the rules officials, their group was given two warnings for slow play. It's really hard to understand how they were given 2 warnings yet Harrington got away with it a few weeks ago and Furyk gets away with it every single week. Feel sorry for Stenson but his game is in great shape coming up to Augusta, would love to see him win it.

Did Harrington's group lose ground on those in front? Answer is no.
    Not sure whether Stenson's group did being honest...

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Did Harrington's group lose ground on those in front? Answer is no.
    Not sure whether Stenson's group did being honest...

Well Harringtons group was probably a bad example, not sure if Stensons group lost ground or not but as Stenson said, the last couple groups are going to be slow on a Sunday evening, he seems to believe they were being hurried up so that they wouldn't delay the tv coverage, which if true is disgraceful.

Well Harringtons group was probably a bad example, not sure if Stensons group lost ground or not but as Stenson said, the last couple groups are going to be slow on a Sunday evening, he seems to believe they were being hurried up so that they wouldn't delay the tv coverage, which if true is disgraceful.

"Disgraceful"? C'mon, TV is the medium through which a very large chunk of the prize money, sponsorship deals, endorsements and other goodies are generated and disbursed. It is hardly unreasonable for the host broadcaster to ask tournaments and the PGA to allow them stick to their schedules. Weekend tournament coverage is on the major networks, not dedicated sports channels and they have other sponsors, advertisers and programming commitments to deliver on Sunday Prime Time.
    It is just the reality of commercial sport.

First Up wrote: »
    "Disgraceful"? C'mon, TV is the medium through which a very large chunk of the prize money, sponsorship deals, endorsements and other goodies are generated and disbursed. It is hardly unreasonable for the host broadcaster to ask tournaments and the PGA to allow them stick to their schedules. Weekend tournament coverage is on the major networks, not dedicated sports channels and they have other sponsors, advertisers and programming commitments to deliver on Sunday Prime Time.
    It is just the reality of commercial sport.

I'd agree if they had lost 10 or 20 minutes but is 2 or 3 really going to matter, they should not be under that tight a schedule.

To be fair, when the second last group finished their round Stenson still had two holes to play. That does point towards quite a slow round.

To be fair, when the second last group finished their round Stenson still had two holes to play. That does point towards quite a slow round.

Two holes is a bit, they should have been on or close to the 18th tee in fairness.

These pro's need to lead by example, I played my home course a few weeks back at pace and solo, 2hr 42min, 3ball usually takes 3.5hrs and 4ball just over 4hrs, played on Saturday in a society outing and it took 4.5hrs purely because it was a society outing and with folk taking their time, this is rubbish, get to your ball quickly and stop strolling and the game will be a lot quicker, another thread maybe...

slave1 wrote: »
    Two holes is a bit, they should have been on or close to the 18th tee in fairness.

These pro's need to lead by example, I played my home course a few weeks back at pace and solo, 2hr 42min, 3ball usually takes 3.5hrs and 4ball just over 4hrs, played on Saturday in a society outing and it took 4.5hrs purely because it was a society outing and with folk taking their time, this is rubbish, get to your ball quickly and stop strolling and the game will be a lot quicker, another thread maybe...

I really don't think they can lead by example, they are playing for huge amounts of money in one of the biggest tour events of the season. To put the final group on the clock on a Sunday evening with a few holes to go because of pressure from the tv companies is madness.

• Advertisement

I really don't think they can lead by example, they are playing for huge amounts of money in one of the biggest tour events of the season. To put the final group on the clock on a Sunday evening with a few holes to go because of pressure from the tv companies is madness.

They could always let the broadcaster go off air and deduct the consequent few million in reduced tv fee from the prize fund. That might hurry them up.

They could always let the broadcaster go off air and deduct the consequent few million in reduced tv fee from the prize fund. That might hurry them up.

It's a golf event, do the broadcasters not know that play doesn't always run perfectly to their time schedule, what do they do if play is delayed by weather or goes to a play off? Yes, we all hate slow play, it's not a new thing, what were they actually going to gain putting the final group on the clock for the final few holes though?

It's a golf event, do the broadcasters not know that play doesn't always run perfectly to their time schedule, what do they do if play is delayed by weather or goes to a play off? Yes, we all hate slow play, it's not a new thing, what were they actually going to gain putting the final group on the clock for the final few holes though?

The broadcaster was going to another programme that very likely had a larger audience (eg. a basketball game) and therefore a lot more financial exposure. It isn't the tv company's problem; the deal with the PGA was for coverage from time A to time B. It is the PGA's job to deliver within that. They may well have been told in advance that coverage would end at the agreed time and if that left players on the course, any loss of advertising would result in a fee reduction. It is a tough business and money talks.
    It is tough on the last few groups but maybe they should have put some people on the clock earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

It is tough on the last few groups but maybe they should have put some people on the clock earlier.

Or maybe there should be a shot clock for every shot... in every round... for every player. Never going to happen but one can dream.

Why didn't they start the final round earlier? The last group went out at 2pm US time. Seems very late in the day. If they just went out an hour earlier they could avoid conflicting with basketball games or whatever else.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement