Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

When two players in the same pairing are tied after the round, the player who was first to hit when the full round began is listed first. That put Garcia, who had a one-shot lead going into the third round, in the final group

Your username suits you. Just fcuking with you, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    McGinley described the 17th perfectly - "you don't normally win the comp there, but you can lose it". Like I said, 18th is where he should have been going for the birdie.

I couldn't praise McGinley enough for his commentary ...
    he's a natural .. and explains everything so well, instead of talking about himself all the time !!!!
    Loads of respect for him, was always my favourite Irish player even though he didn't have as much success as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Just want to point out that this 'Epic' PGA Tour thread is the worse idea ever... Some tournaments you want to follow here, some you don't... Back to Individual tournament threads please... Thanks!

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Just want to point out that this 'Epic' PGA Tour thread is the worse idea ever... Some tournaments you want to follow here, some you don't... Back to Individual tournament threads please... Thanks!

agree !

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Sergio admits he was a bit too overconfident on his tee shot at 17.

Middle of the green or a bit right of center was the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

"taking it on the chin", whats that tigers load lol of golf that is

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So follow the thread when the tournament you want to watch is on and dont follow it when you are not interested in the current tournament?

You do know that you dont have to read a thread if you dont want to right?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Unfortunately the game of golf has turned Sergio into a madman. I think he is a fantastic player who has shaken off his putting woes to become a top player again. But mentally he is carrying too much baggage from past disappointments and he will never have the mental strength to overcome these. I feel sorry for him. His decision making on 17 when he got right back into the tournament was pure car crash TV. His interview afterwards, while admirable, made you worry about his future in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

I couldn't praise McGinley enough for his commentary ...
    he's a natural .. and explains everything so well, instead of talking about himself all the time !!!!
    Loads of respect for him, was always my favourite Irish player even though he didn't have as much success as others.

I thought McGinley was excellent. My only problem with having the Ryder Cup captain commentate is that he is loathe to criticise European players when it is warranted (which of course is perfectly understandable). I felt he couldn't comment honestly on Garcia's atrocious decision on 17.

GreeBo wrote: »
    So follow the thread when the tournament you want to watch is on and dont follow it when you are not interested in the current tournament?

You do know that you dont have to read a thread if you dont want to right?

I haven't been interested enough in recent weeks to follow the tournaments. So when i click on the thread to follow the discussion on the Players I'm brought back to my 'last viewed' post. In this case it was over 3 weeks ago. I don't know where the Players discussion starts & I'm not going searching for it.

I find it astonishing that whoever started this thread didn't consider that & quite ridiculous that it needs to be explained.

But eccentric moderation is the name of the game in the Golf forum.

We've always had Individual threads for Golf tournaments, what's the big deal? Some have little interest & garner only a handful of posts. Some, like the Players, carry huge interest & attract many pages of posts... then they all slip down the queue in the manner of all threads on all discussion forums... why we're trying to fix what isn't broke is beyond me but hey, I don't have my Mod's licence...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Much agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Would love to see the soccer guys take a leaf from this forum's book. All PL soccer matches in a not so Epic thread.
    Never gonna get that "footfall" in this forum with this flawed MO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wow, exciting finish with the visits to the water waking me up as I nodded off last night via the ipad, I thought Tiger going for the green on 14 was mad but what do I know, drama on 17 too, very unpredictable finish to that tournament with 16,17,18.
    Couldn't be bothered to go back in the thread to where we started talking about this tournament though...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I haven't been interested enough in recent weeks to follow the tournaments. So when i click on the thread to follow the discussion on the Players I'm brought back to my 'last viewed' post. In this case it was over 3 weeks ago. I don't know where the Players discussion starts & I'm not going searching for it.

I find it astonishing that whoever started this thread didn't consider that & quite ridiculous that it needs to be explained.

But eccentric moderation is the name of the game in the Golf forum.

We've always had Individual threads for Golf tournaments, what's the big deal? Some have little interest & garner only a handful of posts. Some, like the Players, carry huge interest & attract many pages of posts... then they all slip down the queue in the manner of all threads on all discussion forums... why we're trying to fix what isn't broke is beyond me but hey, I don't have my Mod's licence...

So you think that the forum should be run to suit you, a member who only has a passing interest in reading/commenting on golf tournaments?

Funnily enough I think it should cater more for the members who read/post regularly, but hey, what do I know, I'm eccentric. :rolleyes:

/edit
    Also, when your interest kicks in, why not just click on the last page...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Russman wrote: »

That is interesting. I never spotted that. My knowledge of the minutia of the rules isnt the best (like most golfers). However, did Sky mention it? Was it explained at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Russman wrote: »

As much as I hate the idea of armchair referees, looking at the following clip, its fairly obvious Tiger dropped from the wrong position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I absolutely hate armchair referees. The video above is clearly a man that has something against Tiger. Not one piece of the coverage that I seen clearly shows where the ball crosses the hazard. Tiger obviously had a reference point himself, asked his partner, who agreed on the point and thats it. I think 2 men standing on the tee box have a better view of it that anyone looking on tv has.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

YayaBanana wrote: »
    I absolutely hate armchair referees. The video above is clearly a man that has something against Tiger. Not one piece of the coverage that I seen clearly shows where the ball crosses the hazard. Tiger obviously had a reference point himself, asked his partner, who agreed on the point and thats it. I think 2 men standing on the tee box have a better view of it that anyone looking on tv has.

He's right though, his feelings for/against Tiger don't matter. Look at the overhead shot, there's no way the ball crossed at that point. Do you think Wittenberg would have the balls to tell Tiger to drop it back at the tee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

As much as I hate the idea of armchair referees, looking at the following clip, its fairly obvious Tiger dropped from the wrong position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B5SL57mef4E

Does that guy wear his golf gear to watch the golf on TV? That's a bit sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Does that guy wear his golf gear to watch the golf on TV? That's a bit sad.

Or maybe he got in from playing his Sunday comp and sat down to watch the golf...

Anyway, one of the comments on that video states:
    I was on the 14th when Tiger hit this tee shot. I was standing almost directly behind him about 3 people deep. The shot he hit was a very bad hook. I saw the video footage and the camera angles are horrible. The shot started out going towards the right side of the fairway and hooked sharply and landed about 7-10 left of the water line. The drop Tiger took was about 25 yards behind where the ball entered the water. I'm not a Tiger fan, so I am not making excuses for him, the drop was legal.

Hard to know. The video clip looks like it went straight over the water but camera angles can be deceiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Or maybe he got in from playing his Sunday comp and sat down to watch the golf...

Anyway, one of the comments on that video states:

Hard to know. The video clip looks like it went straight over the water but camera angles can be deceiving.
    If it started out right, why did Rolfing say almost immediately that it was left?

GreeBo wrote: »
    So you think that the forum should be run to suit you, a member who only has a passing interest in reading/commenting on golf tournaments?

Funnily enough I think it should cater more for the members who read/post regularly, but hey, what do I know, I'm eccentric. :rolleyes:

/edit
    Also, when your interest kicks in, why not just click on the last page...?

I think it should be run in a democratic manner. But you carry on, you seem to greatly enjoy whatever noteriety you feel being a Mod gives you.

Regarding the Tiger drop, I've been wondering would it be mentioned. Sky Sports are so spineless, Butch Harmon actually mentioned this right after play but, in pure Sky style, they quickly changed the subject as they do...

Harmon said something to the effect of: "Actually we were sitting here wondering if he maybe dropped from the wrong place"... Crazy that they didn't even explore it with a replay...

The Gentleman's game of Golf has been through the ringer these past few weeks, eh. Tiger's drop in the Masters, Garcia getting off scott-free the other week - and now this :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

The Masters one was an innocent mistake, even if the ensung rules gymnastics made it look bad.

But last nights drop was dodgy indeed. But unlike the clear cut drop in the wrong spot in Augusta, this one was fully within the rules with the two players agreeing with a judgement call. But with Tiger (honestly or not) biased towards a particular viewpoint, and Wittenberg biased towards not being dragged into controversy, I do wonder if the correct judgement was made.

Almaviva wrote: »
    The Masters one was an innocent mistake, even if the ensung rules gymnastics made it look bad.

But last nights drop was dodgy indeed. But unlike the clear cut drop in the wrong spot in Augusta, this one was fully within the rules with the two players agreeing with a judgement call. But with Tiger (honestly or not) biased towards a particular viewpoint, and Wittenberg biased towards not being dragged into controversy, I do wonder if the correct judgement was made.

I was wondering that, once the players 'agree' then, as far as the rules are concerned, that's that, correct? Really doesn't look good but it can be hard to spot the right line from ground level. Although the TV guy following the group seemed to spot it just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I was wondering that, once the players 'agree' then, as far as the rules are concerned, that's that, correct? Really doesn't look good but it can be hard to spot the right line from ground level. Although the TV guy following the group seemed to spot it just fine.

I thought it looked as if Woods turned his back on the shot mid flight.
    To add to your question, could the caddy give guidance if the player didn't see it?

anyway, back to the golf.

I really like the look of Marc Leishman in the HP Bryon this week.
    He's had a really sold few weeks and I think a win is only around the corner for him.

Andres Romero is my sneaky outsider. He's starting to move (slowly), back in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The plot thickens further, the marshals have now come out & said that they never spoke to tiger & told him sergio had hit.

The plot thickens further, the marshals have now come out & said that they never spoke to tiger & told him sergio had hit.

Hmmm... although, what else would they say??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Tiger is a winner, and will do anything to win. That's my opinion. I also believe that he doesn't possess even one ounce of class.

Anyway, this week's event...I would suggest siding with a player who has proven that he plays well in windy conditions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement