Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

That was Woodlands chance there. Time to stock up on the bananas/hang sangiches and Fanta lads, tired looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

watching all this golf, i'm going mad to go out and buy a new set of clubs and get a game in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Seve OB wrote: »
    watching all this golf, i'm going mad to go out and buy a new set of clubs and get a game in

Speaking of clubs..Callaway are being represented in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

why new set ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Woodland playing like he should have a few shots

• Advertisement

why new set ?

Much and all as I love the ones I have (Taylormade 300 series), they are well old. I have them about 10 years and they were hand me downs (from guess who ;))..... they are basically blades so not really for someone like myself. Though when I hit them well, there doesn't be to much wrong (just don't hit them spot on often enough)... but you can be the judge of that Fix :D

Drive wedge, game over here ?

game shot there

not a bad reply there by Woodie. It always amazes me how good these guys are out of the thick rough. Our club last year had the rough really thick and my jeysus, it was a beast to get out of. most of the time you would be just looking to get it back in play. Nothing to these lads, thick rough.... sitting down... wedge to get it back in play? nah, 4 iron to the heart of the green... easy peasy

I'm glad he made that putt.
    Not just for him, but for Rory too.
    Not the most pleasing way to win a match by someone missing a 3 footer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Someone needs to reach rory how to tie his shoe laces.

3 times in the last hour Ive seen him down doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Game.Set. Match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Game set and match

ForeRight wrote: »
    Someone needs to reach rory how to tie his shoe laces.

3 times in the last hour Ive seen him down doing it

my missus just said the same thing to me there as he did it the last time.. then i seen your post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Well done Rory!!

all over now,
    might be a set of clubs in it for me after all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Great win but I find it so hard to get excited about this event.

i suppose cause when it all boils down to sunday, there can only be 2 winners, everyone out of it with no chance of posting early scores in the clubhouse

matchplay is great, but i think you have a point, doesn't make for an exciting watch for entertainment value on sunday evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Number 1 in the world!

Number 1
    Number 1
    Rory is GOAT
    Number 1

golf over early tonight.
    what am i going to do for the next 5 hours ;)

• Advertisement

golf over early tonight.
    what am i going to do for the next 5 hours ;)

Don't know ?

if the missus had any decency about her she would suggest an early night

then i could stick on the playstation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

That wasn't great TV.

Rich Beem is a good commentator though (IMO).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

if the missus had any decency about her she would suggest an early night

then i could stick on the playstation

The snapper scene just popped into my head....

"I'll brush my teeth!!!"

ForeRight wrote: »
    The snapper scene just popped into my head....

"I'll brush my teeth!!!"

that'll be nice :)

5 hours me b**lix.

Willett up to 38th after this.

PARlance wrote: »
    Willett up to 38th after this.

he was second in RTD before this weekend so it will consolidate him there.
    he is a solid golfer the last year or so, decent results, but yet still under the radar. this will give him a great boost, and i'll be very surprised if he is not in the shake up for a ryder cup spot next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

A bit of bullet dodging from Rory on 11-12-13 and then he nailed it on 14th.

Now to complete another slam (WGC one's).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Willett is up from 49 to 38 in the world rankings - good man - like that guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

vienne86 wrote: »
    Willett is up from 49 to 38 in the world rankings - good man - like that guy.
    Seems like a nice guy and always has plenty of time for the interviews. He really should have beaten Woodland but I suspect tiredness got to him.

Woodland lost it completely trying to compete with Rory in the driving stakes. He kept fading it into the 'Woodland' :D.

He calmed down a bit when Rory went 4 up but it was too late for him.

I get the feeling that Rory was making a "Jordan who?" statement the way he played. The best sportspeople always rise to a challenge and boy did he rise to the one Spieth put down at Augusta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yep. Rory is almost 4 full ranking points ahead again

Did anyone notice how Furyk was trying every trick in the book to upset Rory? Apart from using his shorter tee shots as an advantage by being first on the green, I think it was on the 16th tee, he spent an absolute age faffing about with his yardage book and his tee before taking his shot knowing that Rory likes to play quickly.

It was fascinating to watch.

He came out in top which was all that was needed, but Rory was far from his best this week. A mixed 7 rounds on the green, missed an awful lot of makeables, But sank some moonrakers. Now I didn't see it all so I stand to be corrected on this, but IMO it was quite probably the worst I have seen him drive the ball in ages. It would be easier to count the fairways he hit then how many he missed!
    Having said that, it is the sign of a really great player when you see them coming out on top while not firing on all cylinders. It was what made Tiger what he was.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    Did anyone notice how Furyk was trying every trick in the book to upset Rory? Apart from using his shorter tee shots as an advantage by being first on the green, I think it was on the 16th tee, he spent an absolute age faffing about with his yardage book and his tee before taking his shot knowing that Rory likes to play quickly.

It was fascinating to watch.

I think he's just that slow normally, it's just that we don't get to see it as the TV guys never cut to him until he's about to hit in regular events. Experience.

He gets a free pass due to his staus in the game. A bit like Paddy in fairness. Matchplay aside, those two are just incredibly slow players. But it's easier to look to the young guys on tour when highlighting it... Or give a 14 year old a penalty at the Masters.

He came out in top which was all that was needed, but Rory was far from his best this week. A mixed 7 rounds on the green, missed an awful lot of makeables, But sank some moonrakers. Now I didn't see it all so I stand to be corrected on this, but IMO it was quite probably the worst I have seen him drive the ball in ages. It would be easier to count the fairways he hit then how many he missed!
    Having said that, it is the sign of a really great player when you see them coming out on top while not firing on all cylinders. It was what made Tiger what he was.
    I think that course is quite tough, especially on the front nine. But if you look at his scorecards for the week (and to be fair, he played a lot of golf), it went something like this:

Round 1: -1 after 14
    Round 2: -4 after 18
    Round 3: -3 after 18 (-3/20)
    Round of 16: -6 after 13
    1/4 Final: -3 after 18 (-4/22)
    Semi Final: -5 after 18
    Final: -1 after 16

He played 121 holes for a net score of -23. His last four rounds was -15 for 69 holes. Not a bad score when taken in the context of stroke play and in two of those four rounds he didn't play 17 and eighteen where he scored -5 out of the eight times he played them.

On the other side of the coin, he had two bogeys in his first 5 rounds, doubled that total by the end of the semi and doubled it again in the final. Clearly fatigue was an issue at that stage.

PARlance wrote: »
    I think he's just that slow normally, it's just that we don't get to see it as the TV guys never cut to him until he's about to hit in regular events. Experience.

He gets a free pass due to his staus in the game. A bit like Paddy in fairness. Matchplay aside, those two are just incredibly slow players. But it's easier to look to the young guys on tour when highlighting it... Or give a 14 year old a penalty at the Masters.

I know he's slow, but the semi was the first time that we got a full picture of it because they had nothing else to flip to whilst the faffage was in full flow. I mentioned that particular instance because it was abnormally slow to the point of hilarity. He was minutes at the back of the tee with the notebook and caddy, eventually put the tee in the ground and placed the ball, then swept away numerous loose bits of microscopic impedimentia, stood up behind the ball, addressed it, stepped back behind it again, addressed it again, took a practice swing, felt something underfoot, removed tee and ball, replaced them slightly further back, swept away all the dust and broken grass again, stood back behind the ball, addressed it again, took a practice swing, checked the flag position, looked down, looked up, looked down and then eventually hit it.

I think I took less time to write all that then it took Jim to take that shot. :rolleyes:

It was sooooo slow, that I felt it was gamesmanship to upset Rory. It didn't work ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

But that's a good sign surely - that he performed at "far from his best" but still won.

I didn't see him - apart from one shot RTE showed - but assuming what you say is correct - that "he was far from his best" - he will be able to go back now and continue working on his game - and see how he can do even better

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Aside from a couple of poor shots on the final back 9 - which one could possibly attribute to fatigue - his short game was absolutely supreme and was the winning of the tournament in the end. Allied with some great putting under pressure, I think we saw Rory win different this week which makes it a very impressive victory. His short irons definitely need some work if he is to contend at Sawgrass this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think it is the sgn of greatness for any sports person or team if they can grind out a win when they are not playing at their best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

vienne86 wrote: »
    I think it is the sgn of greatness for any sports person or team if they can grind out a win when they are not playing at their best.

Its a factor, but the real test of greatness is achievement over time. Producing under pressure is also a measure but I am hesitant about using "cameo moments" simply because almost everyone has them at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Dont know why but ive never found matchplay interesting to watch outside of the team events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Nobody should be through to the last 16 after the first two days. Drama killer. In the case of a tie in the group stages, the guy who played the fewest holes in won matches, over the three days should go through.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Nobody should be through to the last 16 after the first two days. Drama killer. In the case of a tie in the group stages, the guy who played the fewest holes in won matches, over the three days should go through.

With 32 matches, there's plenty of drama, even with a few dead rubbers. Head to head is the logical and fairest tie breaker.

The 3 days round robin is a bit tedious but going to California for potdntially one round of golf was obviously not popular with the players - nor or I suspect the broadcasters.

Is that you Jordan? ;)

rrpc wrote: »

If a few of the groups three golfers were going out with nothing to play for on the Friday. Very hard to give a sh1t in this case. With the format change Isuggested the majority of golfers will go out with something to play for on the Friday.

You could tell the commentators were embarrassed by the poor format when it came to a tie. Groups with players already through were useless for TV on the Friday.

The way Lowry played, he deserved a chance to go through on the Friday.

If a few of the groups three golfers were going out with nothing to play for on the Friday. Very hard to give a sh1t in this case. With the format change Isuggested the majority of golfers will go out with something to play for on the Friday.

You could tell the commentators were embarrassed by the poor format when it came to a tie. Groups with players already through were useless for TV on the Friday.

The way Lowry played, he deserved a chance to go through on the Friday.

They were playing for money and ranking points, same as every week.

First Up wrote: »
    They were playing for money and ranking points, same as every week.

Not the same. Your money and points are never capped going out on the Friday.

Not the same. Your money and points are never capped going out on the Friday.

There was an extra $22,000 to play for on the Friday - and if he had won he would still be in the top 50.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement