Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

vienne86 wrote: »
    I think it is the sgn of greatness for any sports person or team if they can grind out a win when they are not playing at their best.

This type of statement is thrown around a lot and in principle I agree but I'm not sure how relevant it is this week. Rory only had to be better than his opponent in each match and I think it's probably fair to say that if it was a regular 4 round strokeplay event he wouldn't have won.

Like I said before, i think the way in which he won, relying heavily on his short game, was the most impressive thing, moreso than the actual fact that he won while playing mediocre by his standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

SSK wrote: »
    This type of statement is thrown around a lot and in principle I agree but I'm not sure how relevant it is this week. Rory only had to be better than his opponent in each match and I think it's probably fair to say that if it was a regular 4 round strokeplay event he wouldn't have won.
    For his last four rounds he was -15 for 69 holes. Extended to 72 holes it would have been in or around -16 or -17. That's a pretty good score for what was a tough enough course. When you factor in that he played 7 rounds in 5 days, it's pretty impressive.

I'm not bored enough to see what others shot but since only four got to play 7 rounds, it would be a futile exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Does anyone know how to get rid of that stupid annoying grey see through advertising banner on the bottom of the pgatour website, mostly comes up on the leaderboard page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I can't see anything. Post a picture.

I probably can't see it because I use Adblock Plus

Synode wrote: »
    I can't see anything. Post a picture.

I probably can't see it because I use Adblock Plus

17218045849_d7b9f1494a_z.jpg

Doesn't show on my screen at all. Try installing Adblock Plus

Synode wrote: »
    Doesn't show on my screen at all. Try installing Adblock Plus

cheers, will look for that. it comes up on pc in work, mac at home, & i use all the different browsers, always there.. annoying me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Didn't know much about him.

SO here you go - actually a bit of character there - For a golfer.

Well except Jim Furyk answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Didn't know much about him.

SO here you go - actually a bit of character there - For a golfer.

Well except Jim Furyk answer

Sharon Stone moment in the first few seconds :eek:

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

what a great guy :D

Need him to come play the Irish open, lose the playoff and then go on the beer with him for the rest of the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Slightly off topic but has anyone tried out that new Periscope app? It's definitely going to be used more and more by golfers. Was watching a bit of Poulter on the range today with Gmac... fairly impressive to see his yardage work with trackman. He was generally able to guess his wedges to within a yard or two before looking at the screen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rory playing nicely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

He's set up for a great weekend alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Gonna be shot down here but I actually prefer seeing Phil full out at a golf course more than Rory. He's at it hammer and tongs 9 under at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Gonna be shot down here but I actually prefer seeing Phil full out at a golf course more than Rory. He's at it hammer and tongs 9 under at 6.

Phil's a good player to watch but I lost a lot of respect for him after the Ryder Cup. Rory every day for me. Admittedly Rory does tend to play a bit safer than Phil over the 4 days.

Just on Rory, how good is his bunker play! I've only really noticed it in the last 6 weeks or so, I always had Els and Phil as the best in the business from the sand but I think Rory might actually be the best bunker player currently out there.

• Advertisement

Phil's a good player to watch but I lost a lot of respect for him after the Ryder Cup. Rory every day for me. Admittedly Rory does tend to play a bit safer than Phil over the 4 days.

Just on Rory, how good is his bunker play! I've only really noticed it in the last 6 weeks or so, I always had Els and Phil as the best in the business from the sand but I think Rory might actually be the best bunker player currently out there.

Himself and Love should definitely have kept it indoors, he was still miffed at not being picked the Saturday. See your point but it's not every day you see that reaction to Roses putt on 17 at Medinah.

Politics aside, he's a loose cannon on course which won't reap as much as his talent should imo. Unbelievable to watch when on song though.

Himself and Love should definitely have kept it indoors, he was still miffed at not being picked the Saturday. See your point but it's not every day you see that reaction to Roses putt on 17 at Medinah.

Politics aside, he's a loose cannon on course which won't reap as much as his talent should imo. Unbelievable to watch when on song though.

Agreed, he is excellent to watch when he gets going. Butch Harmon told a story recently about a time Phil was due to play with Dustin Johnson on a Sunday in a tournament. Butch told him to make sure he focussed on his own game and didn't get caught in a long drive contest with DJ. Phil turned around and said "Butch, we both know thats exactly what's going to happen." That sums him up really, a little naive, perhaps a little silly, but brilliant for the fans.

Rory has the short stick working very well. His approach shots are looking very sharp too...... and AVERAGE driving distance is 319 yards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Rory -6 thru 10 and with 2 lip-outs, awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Jaysus rory is on fcuking Fire. Undisputed number 1 when in this form

• Advertisement

Jaysus rory is on fcuking Fire. Undisputed number 1 when in this form

It just makes me wonder again about how his preparations were wrong again for the Masters because he seems to play better when he's playing week after week. He's been improving all the time since the masters, stuck a few quid on him this week because it just seemed like it was all coming together.

11/8 before round 3, ridiculous odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Just imagine how good he would be if he sacked his caddy and had his Titleists wow

ForeRight wrote: »
    Just imagine how good he would be if he sacked his caddy and had his Titleists wow

Yeah, he'd definitely have more wins under his belt. a couple more Majors too.

That was some 3 wood from Rory right there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It just makes me wonder again about how his preparations were wrong again for the Masters because he seems to play better when he's playing week after week. He's been improving all the time since the masters, stuck a few quid on him this week because it just seemed like it was all coming together.

I think the sight of jordan speith doing so well at the masters has drove him on again, he didnt actually play that bad at the masters it was just his first 27 holes made it so hard for him to make a come back.

59 watch on for Rory? Par 72 so a lot to ask but still.....

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think the sight of jordan speith doing so well at the masters has drove him on again, he didnt actually play that bad at the masters it was just his first 27 holes made it so hard for him to make a come back.

Personally I don't think Rory is too fussed about Jordan or any other golfer really. I think he started poorly because he was a little undercooked going into it.

Whatever about the 59 but his own course record is looking like being beaten. Phenomenal golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Personally I don't think Rory is too fussed about Jordan or any other golfer really. I think he started poorly because he was a little undercooked going into it.

No i dont think he is worried about him but i do think he was peed because he was expectin to won it and he had to look at the little american kid run away with it,

• Advertisement

Wow! Is anyone else watching this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

This is outrageous stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

2 more birdies...Come on Ror's !!

This is going to be the tough one.... index 1..... come on Rory!

Probably won't make the 59 but a seriously brilliant round all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Gap os seven shots between first and third - incredible round from Rory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

As many birdie's today as most will have in 4 days. Amazing viewing.

Just reading up on Chambers Bay there, the course for the US Open. Sounds like a truly tough golf course. It's a links course, only one tree over the 18 holes. It's also very long. One would have to think it could really suit Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Amazing to think that at 26, he has won more PGA events than any other European

• Advertisement

Have never actually heard N. Faldo comment on Rory, hadn't realised Seve had won as much on PGA.

blackcard wrote: »
    Amazing to think that at 26, he has won more PGA events than any other European

You sure that's true?

Will McKenzie seems to be the surfer dude of the PGA Tour :P

You sure that's true?

10 vs 9 each for Seve and Nick the lad from US commentary if sky are to be believed.

10 vs 9 each for Seve and Nick the lad from US commentary if sky are to be believed.

How many has Sergio won?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

How many has Sergio won?

• Advertisement

How many has Sergio won?

He's up there, 6 or 7 I think.

Corrected, 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

How many has Sergio won?

8, I think, Harrington credited with 6. I presume all Majors are counted as PGA events

He's up there, 6 or 7 I think.

Would have bet he'd have more. It's a lead now that Rory will just grow and grow. The guy is incredible.

Coltart not showing much love there imo.

Did Phil have a meltdown on 18?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement