Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rory is unreal

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Synode wrote: »
    Did Phil have a meltdown on 18?

Found the "uisce" with drive, 3rd to green side bunker, 4th went past the flag and off the green, 5th back onto green and 2 putt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What a round, great to see his putting back, once he gets those irons closer he is unbeatable, sublime to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Synode wrote: »
    Did Phil have a meltdown on 18?

Phil spent the day at the seaside. He was either on the beach or in the water :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just watching Billy Horschel playing Chambers Bay (US Open course).... and to say the greens look terrible is an understatement. Still 5 weeks to go obviously but they will need something drastic to happen to turn them around. I can see a lot of people saying that this course is not ready for or up to US Open standards. That said... the views are very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

HighLine wrote: »
    Just watching Billy Horschel playing Chambers Bay (US Open course).... and to say the greens look terrible is an understatement. Still 5 weeks to go obviously but they will need something drastic to happen to turn them around. I can see a lot of people saying that this course is not ready for or up to US Open standards. That said... the views are very impressive.

The greens have come in for a fair amount of stick over the years. I remember watching the US Amateur there a few years ago and it was a pure lottery. The greens are huge, undulating and savage quick. If the wind blows - as it often does off Puget Sound, anything could happen.

Given the USGA's penchant for over par winners, expect it to be set up as a test of who can stay sane the longest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Where were you watching this? Was it on TV or were you actually there?

Where were you watching this? Was it on TV or were you actually there?

He was streaming it live on Periscope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Steven bowditch about to win in the US. Walking between the 16th green and 17th tee he signed an autograph for a young fan.

I thought they weren't supposed to sign anything before the signed their card at the end of the round ?

Rikand wrote: »
    Steven bowditch about to win in the US. Walking between the 16th green and 17th tee he signed an autograph for a young fan.

I thought they weren't supposed to sign anything before the signed their card at the end of the round ?

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

There was a great article about Bowditch tweeted out by Jason Sobel yesterday. He has had a real difficult journey to get to this point.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2009-04/gw20090427_moriarty

First Up wrote: »
    Why not?

You always see it when the winners walk off the 18th, the commentators say " don't sign anything till you sign your card" and a few times lately I've seen rory put his hands up to a fan and say he can't sign anything till he hands in his card.

I thought there must have been some rule about it ?

Rikand wrote: »
    You always see it when the winners walk off the 18th, the commentators say " don't sign anything till you sign your card" and a few times lately I've seen rory put his hands up to a fan and say he can't sign anything till he hands in his card.

I thought there must have been some rule about it ?

I think it is just advising them to finish their business before doing the fan stuff, in case they forget it or do something careless.

Watching the featured group at the Memorial... Tiger hacking it around. Terrible golf on a course he dominated at and has never missed a cut. That will change by tomorrow. His playing partners Day and Reed aren't hitting it much better either.

5 birdies later and recovered to +1, Tiger that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Nice to see Francesco Molinari just one off the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Tiger with a birdie birdie start. Hopefully he keeps this up but I'm sure he isn't too far away from racking up with a double bogey or worse.

Watching the featured group at the Memorial... Tiger hacking it around. Terrible golf on a course he dominated at and has never missed a cut. That will change by tomorrow. His playing partners Day and Reed aren't hitting it much better either.

Looks like I could be wrong.... His driving performance yesterday was probably the worst I have seen from Tiger for many years if not his entire career! And that's saying something considering how he has driven the ball throughout his career!

He should have been given a marshal with a megaphone to advance warn spectators that he was about to tee off (because he certainly wasn't calling fore most of the time)

• Advertisement

Some effort from Tiger - 3 under for the first 9.

Rose in superb form. I'd imagine he will be right up there at the top of the leaderboard at the U.S. Open.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Some effort from Tiger - 3 under for the first 9.

He's been all over the shop since I've been watching - and still no shouts or signals when he hikes it into the gallery. Very classy.

He's been all over the shop since I've been watching - and still no shouts or signals when he hikes it into the gallery. Very classy.

It was worse yesterday. And that 3-wood approach he just hit was heading for spectators from start to finish and again, nothing shouted in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

It was worse yesterday. And that 3-wood approach he just hit was heading for spectators from start to finish and again, nothing shouted in anyway.

Given that the tour isn't going to act I think the media have a role to play. The problem is the golf hacks are still way too reverential towards the pros and tiger in particular. The only way it'll change is for journalists to publically challenge their behaviour e.g. Shouting fore, tiger smashing half the tee boxes yesterday, shane f'ing and blinding at irish open.

zizou_ wrote: »
    Given that the tour isn't going to act I think the media have a role to play. The problem is the golf hacks are still way too reverential towards the pros and tiger in particular. The only way it'll change is for journalists to publically challenge their behaviour e.g. Shouting fore, tiger smashing half the tee boxes yesterday, shane f'ing and blinding at irish open.

An injured spectator suing for $50 million might get their attention.

• Advertisement

An injured spectator suing for $50 million might get their attention.

Exactly. That would stop players using spectators to bounce balls off.

Tiger makes it.... just ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

zizou_ wrote: »

Interesting one at Irish Open last Friday evening. Kaymer's tee shot on one of the later holes, think it was 18, hit a spectator flush in the side. Guy went down like a sack of spuds and looked worrying for a while. Eventually he got up, clutching his ribs, and walked off. At no point did I hear a fore shout. Kaymer arrived at ball moments after guy walked off and was oblivious to what had happened. Nobody said a word to Kaymer and he played on. Thought even the marshals should have told him or his caddy what happened. At worst the lad who was hit deserved a signed glove or something.

Tiger was rescued by his putter yesterday. I was wondering how he would go around if that putting touch was to leave him today... answer is +6 thru 9 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Demoralising stuff for Tiger at this stage. Heading for 80 at best.

Will be out on his own tomorrow morning with just a marker for company.

Wonder will they MDF him to save him further torment?!

• Advertisement

Tiger finishes with a quad bogey 8 for a total 85 - his highest score ever.

His final hole looked like some sort of golf join the dots game

https://twitter.com/VC606/status/607220946978668544

That's embarrassing from Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Can only see it getting worse for him at Chambers Bay.

What the **** from tiger. That stuff on 18 was just pathetic. Back to square one for him again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Well at least I'm not the only one to have a quadruple today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

His final hole looked like some sort of golf join the dots game

https://twitter.com/VC606/status/607220946978668544

Anyone know how he went from 3 to 4? Shank?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

charlieIRL wrote: »

One shot caught a false front, back to his feet.

Inverted shank. Tricky to do as a right hander from that position ;)

If you skip the following clip to about 1:55 you will see what happened. The walk of shame following the ball back after the first mis-hit chip.

Actually feel a bit sorry for him... he had pretty much sorted out his short game after the carnage a few months ago and now, it just looks like his head is fried.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/607228909738823680

• Advertisement

..must be gut wrenching to be doing this with a worldwide audience picking at him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

-3 today. Legitimate shot to beat yesterday's score by 20. Can't imagine anyone has ever had a 20 shot swing in two rounds before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Scratch that...back to level after a messy 7!

Decent finish in store here. Hopefully one of the Europeans takes the victory. Be really nice to see molinari do the business.

What a disgrace that "spectator" was. Massive shout right at the top of Rose's backswing. Hope the person gets thrown out.

Great birdie by molinari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

zuutroy wrote: »
    -3 today. Legitimate shot to beat yesterday's score by 20. Can't imagine anyone has ever had a 20 shot swing in two rounds before?

I remember Monty once going 64-84 at the Open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

RikkFlair wrote: »
    I remember Monty once going 64-84 at the Open

I thought Kevin Na would be in with a chance of recording a 20 shot swing after he had a 16 on the par 4 9th at the Texas Open a few years back.

Turns out he finished with an 80 on that day, a fairly decent round despite that disaster with 9 holes to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

PARlance wrote: »
    I thought Kevin Na would be in with a chance of recording a 20 shot swing after he had a 16 on the par 4 9th at the Texas Open a few years back.

Turns out he finished with an 80 on that day, a fairly decent round despite that disaster with 9 holes to play.

Would've been joint leader after 2 rounds if he'd gotten a par iirc.

Horror shank from rose. Decked someone on the head too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Ahhh my skygo stream just broke as Justin hit his bunker shot!! Where did it go? On green? Chance of birdie?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement